These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

[Vanguard] - Your ship bracket now on all the time: it's vexing

Author
Langbaobao
Tr0pa de elite.
Fraternity.
#1 - 2015-09-30 16:46:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Langbaobao
Hi CCP.

So, I've noticed that with Vanguard (it was actually written in the patch notes but I guess I skimmed it), you can see the bracket icon of your own ship in space if you've zoomed out a bit further. It is slightly darker then other ship bracket icons around (but just barely, took me a while to find out). First few times I saw it I was completely surprised, I was thinking: "Wtf, why is this guy in space near me, and he doesn't show on overview? Did my overview get messed up?" After reloading the overview a few times I finally figured out that it's actually a bracket. And I still do the same every now and then, even now that I know what's actually up. It's just extremely annoying because you are just used to watch out for neuts and reds around you and your own ship shows as a neut bracket icon. It's especially annoying if you're camping a gate with a ceptor or dictor, I found myself trying to target or bubble myself a few times. And after talking to a few other guys about it I've found that they've been extremely annoyed about this as well.

TL;DR It's extremely annoying.

Before the bracket icon for your own ship did not show up unless you pressed the alt key (look up), which was fine by me. I don't know if this change is a bug or an unwanted 'feature' of some change you guys made to the UI, but can we please go back to how it was done previously (alt-key to show your ship bracket icon) or at least give us the option in the UI to turn it off? It really messes up situational awareness...
Leto Aramaus
Frog Team Four
Of Essence
#2 - 2015-09-30 17:27:57 UTC
I thought it only showed up if you zoomed out far enough.

Doesn't it disappear when up close?
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#3 - 2015-09-30 17:29:26 UTC
Leto Aramaus wrote:

Yes it does, I like it.
Kenrailae
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2015-09-30 20:56:44 UTC
It's certainly disconcerting at first, trying to figure out why there is another ship right on top of me but not on my overview :/

Could we change the color maybe?

The Law is a point of View

The NPE IS a big deal

elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#5 - 2015-10-01 00:58:58 UTC
Leto Aramaus wrote:

I haven't noticed that but I am usually zoomed out a lot so I have a better view of what's going on. And to OP, I also wanted to shoot my ship just a few hours ago Ugh

An option to turn it of would definately be nice.

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

General Guardian
Perkone
Caldari State
#6 - 2015-10-01 02:52:55 UTC
I support an off switch for this.
FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#7 - 2015-10-01 03:32:04 UTC  |  Edited by: FT Diomedes
I support a color change or an off switch for this feature. By the same token, I'd also like to see my own character in local chat as blue or green or purple.

CCP should add more NPC 0.0 space to open it up and liven things up: the Stepping Stones project.

Mr Mieyli
Doomheim
#8 - 2015-10-01 07:35:03 UTC
Kenrailae wrote:
It's certainly disconcerting at first, trying to figure out why there is another ship right on top of me but not on my overview :/

Could we change the color maybe?

A change of color or seperate icon for "my ship" would get rid of the problems OP is having.

This post brought to you by CCP's alpha forum alt initiative. Playing the eve forums has never come cheaper.

afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2015-10-01 09:24:39 UTC
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
Leto Aramaus wrote:

Yes it does, I like it.

You really don't need to zoom out that far though.

It freaks me out all the time :/
Mag's
Azn Empire
#10 - 2015-10-01 09:50:04 UTC
General Guardian wrote:
This. Come on CCP, it's not rocket science.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Sobaan Tali
Caldari Quick Reaction Force
#11 - 2015-10-01 12:23:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Sobaan Tali
Mag's wrote:
General Guardian wrote:
This. Come on CCP, it's not rocket science.

Apparently it is, though. Have you noticed CCP's consistent lack of "off-switch" capable features? Either it's rocket science or they're trying to say, "You're gonna wear that feature and like it, you little bastards! And don't you dare start crying and embarrass me in front of all these people. "

+1 for different color or toggle, pliss, so we stop freaking out about our own damn icon.

"Tomahawks?"

"----in' A, right?"

"Trouble is, those things cost like a million and a half each."

"----, you pay me half that and I'll hump in some c4 and blow the ---- out of it my own damn self."

Cristl
#12 - 2015-10-01 13:53:24 UTC
I'd like a new colour if possible, and would also support an on-off switch.

Here is the feedback thread for Vanguard.
Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2015-10-01 19:14:49 UTC
I thought I still had to press alt to get it to pop up, and risk accidentally zooming into things I didn't want to see. (because Windows 7 causes keys held down to sometimes act as multiple rapid keypresses)

I'd prefer to have it visible any time I am zoomed out far enough that it's hard to see the ship, or that the model unloads, but it should be a setting in the menu. In fact it probably is.

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

Koston Eld
Extra Galactic Expeditions
#14 - 2015-10-01 19:32:20 UTC
Yes please add an off switch for this!

It is irritating to see the beauty of space and combat when zoomed way out, now only to have a rather large icon DIRECTLY in the middle of your screen.

I love playing zoomed out, and this feature is hugely impacting the enjoyment of that in a negative way.

Please add an off switch!
Serendipity Lost
Repo Industries
#15 - 2015-10-01 19:45:14 UTC
Until you add a toggle switch so I can turn it off could you at least make the default color of the goofy little shape black? I think it's reasonable that the 3 nerds that felt we needed this feature should have to be the ones to change it to white instead of making 600k pilots change it to black.
Zanthar Eos
Collapsed Out
Pandemic Legion
#16 - 2015-10-01 20:34:48 UTC
Keep it. It's really handy to have.
Theon Severasse
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2015-10-01 20:38:04 UTC
+1 for an off switch, very distracting
Tappits
Sniggerdly
Pandemic Legion
#18 - 2015-10-01 20:56:40 UTC
Theon Severasse wrote:
+1 for an off switch, very distracting

Yep PLZ CCP
Alex Quintane
Sniggerdly
Pandemic Legion
#19 - 2015-10-01 21:04:55 UTC
Colour change so you can distinguish it from neutrals would be grand.
Also it would be nice to have a distance slider so you can set the zoom level for when the icon appears, including an off position,
Petrified
Old and Petrified Syndication
TOG - The Older Gamers Alliance
#20 - 2015-10-01 21:27:04 UTC
I would like to see two options enabled for this (because in WH space, the icon seriously causes brief amounts of panic).

1 - ability to turn it off.
and
2 - change the color or mark up the icon to make it clear it is YOUR ship.

Cloaking is the closest thing to a "Pause Game" button one can get while in space.

Support better localization for the Japanese Community.

12Next page