These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Miner Questions

Author
Maykid Achilles
No-Mercy
Shadow Ultimatum
#1 - 2015-09-22 23:51:59 UTC
Hello Ladies and Gentleman,

I have a couple different questions,
First off,
I'm building an alt to run boosts and cargo as an Orca and I'm looking for a good fit. Also I noticed when I was looking around the Orca fits have Shield Harmonizing II is that worth having or not so much?

Secondly,
For mining fleets is it better to use the Hulk or Skiff? And what is a good fit for either or in fleet compositions?

Last but not least,
What is good for a good semi afk solo miner, Mackinaw, Hulk or Skiff?
I was thinking the Mackinaw but not sure what fit to use since it's so low on cpu. If you have a fit would love to see it!

Oh and all of this is in high sec around .7 sec status systems to .5

Thanks in advance,

Maykid
Ersahi Kir
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2015-09-23 00:21:20 UTC
If you're mining in high sec use tech 1 mining barges or a skiff.

Most high sec orcas use the links:
Mining speed (more isk)
Mining range (ease of use)
More shield resists (harder to gank ships)

The other mining gang link is capicator use, but it's of minimal usefulness with a shield buffer tank. In null sec people use it because you can't use the shield harmonizing gang link while in a POS forcefield.

As far as fits go it depends on how you plan to use your orca. When I was mining I would generally leave it at a station for defense and easy docking. In this case 3 hull rigs, a bulkhead II, and a damage control II are pretty standard. Shield mods in the mids, or if you're moving a MWD for warp trick are good.

I generally avoid cargo expander lows and rigs, as these are just asking for your ship to get blown up.
Maykid Achilles
No-Mercy
Shadow Ultimatum
#3 - 2015-09-23 12:42:34 UTC
I plan on using my Orca as defense against ganks or to detour ganks if possible and as a freighter pretty much to haul ore back and forth to the station so my miners can keep mining non-stop for maximum yield.
Shiloh Templeton
Cheyenne HET Co
#4 - 2015-09-23 14:40:12 UTC
The only reason not to run the shield harmonizer link is because your fleet has cap issues. Shield Harmonizer 1 is a lot quicker to train than Shield Harmonizer II. You want to get the Mining Foreman Implant to increase yield.

I've used a combination of prorators, retrievers and covetors depending on current security threat. You can keep whichever one you're not using in the ship maintenance bay and swap out as needed. You can use a Mackinaw but the retrievers are almost disposable if you don't have expensive implants in your miner. The retriever has more cap issues. The covetor/hulk is not an afk ship. I mostly used a covetor in asteroid anomolies when I wanted to clear it before the competition arrived.

For more AFK consider ice mining.

Did you do a Charisma remap for the orca alt? If so, consider going ahead and getting most of the leadership skills so you could put the alt in a command ship or T3 booster someday.

I don't use Macks much since I don't like spending the training time for exhumers but here's something:

[Mackinaw, Ore - Tank]
Damage Control II
Micro Auxiliary Power Core I
Mining Laser Upgrade II

Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Medium Shield Extender II
Kinetic Deflection Amplifier II
Thermic Dissipation Amplifier II

Modulated Strip Miner II, Veldspar Mining Crystal I
Modulated Strip Miner II, Veldspar Mining Crystal I

Medium Core Defense Field Extender I
Medium Processor Overclocking Unit I

This has yield of 1025, 43.8 EHP against catalyst, and 79% cap stable without boost. Bulkhead rig doesn't seem to help on the Mack.

Shiloh Templeton
Cheyenne HET Co
#5 - 2015-09-23 14:44:06 UTC
P.S. Here's an orca fit that can mount the links and still do a 10 second warp trick. EHP is 200K+. It's useful if you're going to be using the orca to warp the ore to the station. You can swap out the hyperspatial for a bulkhead rig.

[Orca, Mobile miner]
Damage Control II
Reactor Control Unit II

500MN Cold-Gas Enduring Microwarpdrive
EM Ward Field II

Mining Foreman Link - Laser Optimization II
Mining Foreman Link - Mining Laser Field Enhancement II
Siege Warfare Link - Shield Harmonizing II

Large Ancillary Current Router II
Large Hyperspatial Velocity Optimizer I
Large Capacitor Control Circuit I

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#6 - 2015-09-23 14:49:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Ralph King-Griffin
Maykid Achilles wrote:
I plan on using my Orca as defense against ganks or to detour ganks if possible and as a freighter pretty much to haul ore back and forth to the station so my miners can keep mining non-stop for maximum yield.

ill leave this and this here.
dont try to use one for a deterrent, they are in-fact big jucy incentives to hunt you.

Case in point : I considered kicking your corp up to the execs for a wardec so i could do so myself Blink

best way to avoid getting ganked is to be at your keyboard.<------emphasis on the period
Dr Cedric
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#7 - 2015-09-23 16:45:15 UTC
If you're going to have an orca out, put him right next to station to make it difficult to bump or in a POS. Warp your miner to/from your Orca and drop Ore in the fleet and ore hangar.

on the other hand, if you've got a POS out, launch a bunch of Enormous freight containers in the POS shield and warp your miner back/forth to them and drop off ore.

Last thing you want is an Orca in the belt/anom with you... that will put a huge X on your back and that Orca will get totally jacked.

As for Anti-Gank, fit a Procurer. If you feel (relatively) safe, go w/ the Retriever. I wouldn't use a Hulk/covetor for anything except 0.0 Anom mining in a station about 20 jumps from the nearest low-sec entrance and even then only if I've got scouts every other system in... just saying

Cedric

Sheeth Athonille
Rabid Dogz Mining
#8 - 2015-09-24 03:52:58 UTC
I dont have an orca boosting, so take this with a grain of salt, but I personally don't think keeping it in a belt is all that big of a deal. Pay attention and if a bunch of shady characters come into local, move it to station/pos. Keep a webbing ship in your orca so if you start getting bumped you have a better chance of getting away.

The one thing I will caution is don't forget that you lose your boost when warping the orca, so try to minimize the warping, and don't be further away from a rock than your lasers can reach without the orca, or you'll get nothing when it finishes :P Of course losing boost while warping the orca is still less of a loss than warping your miners, especially if you're not using a mack.
Maykid Achilles
No-Mercy
Shadow Ultimatum
#9 - 2015-09-24 04:29:01 UTC
Well what I mean by using an orca is, I'll be using a miner to mine then, then having an orca with another account right there so I don't have to move my miner alt back and forth from belt to station. Or is using 2 accounts 1 for Orca Boost and 1 for being a miner still not enough to have the Orca be in the same belt and just have the Orca outside a station just for boosts? Because I know for warping the miner you lose time and yield of ore per hour from warping to and from the station then if something else transported for you.
Darth Droeftoeter
Doomheim
#10 - 2015-09-24 12:32:26 UTC
I've used an Orca with a 6 skiff ice-mining fleet and a freighter for hauling for about a year in a 0.6 system... only ships I've seen die were the occasional retriever and mack. Didn't take it out in belts but was in at least 2 ice-anoms a day for an hour or more.
What I'm trying to say is that if you have a nice and quiet system there isn't that much to worry about especially when you earn back the price of an orca in less than a week.
Anize Oramara
WarpTooZero
#11 - 2015-09-24 14:48:02 UTC
train the orca pilot for a miner. You'd need something like 3 hulks to make a boosting orca worth it.

A guide (Google Doc) to Hi-Sec blitzing and breaking the 200mill ISK/H barrier v1.2.3

Celthric Kanerian
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#12 - 2015-09-24 17:53:24 UTC
For AFK mining, use a Skiff.
Forum Toon
Doomheim
#13 - 2015-09-24 21:43:03 UTC
mining really ain't worth it.
you mine for an hour making 4-10 mill
then you can do L4 make 60+ mill at the same time.
Sheeth Athonille
Rabid Dogz Mining
#14 - 2015-09-25 04:07:55 UTC
If you're dead set on using the orca, then I would recommend hauling in it as well. But yeah, just training another miner would be better isk. You need something like 4 hulks for the orca to be worth more than just another miner?
Arcos Vandymion
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#15 - 2015-09-25 07:17:25 UTC
Forum Toon wrote:
mining really ain't worth it.
you mine for an hour making 4-10 mill
then you can do L4 make 60+ mill at the same time.

A good thing some people just mine because they feel like it. They war machinery would slowly grind to a halt if all the ammo and ships would have to be (sub-par because you don't have the right skills likely as combat pilot) reprocessed from mission loot. Not to mention all the blitzed, non bookmarked deadspace pockets with non abandoned wrecks. Trillions of units of tritanium floating through the cold hard void, never feeling the warm embrace of a Phased Plasma L round, except for the moment it got forcefully wrenched from the other scientificly fictious elements that made up the rest of the pirate rat.
Maykid Achilles
No-Mercy
Shadow Ultimatum
#16 - 2015-09-26 02:26:57 UTC
Well I have double monitors, so one could be doing lvl 4 mission blitzing while the other mines, which I'm okay with. Also, if I decide to play other games on one monitor, on the other I can have mining going on in the background in a low populated system which would make me more isk if I wasn't playing EvE anyway. Also I do manufacturing on the side here and there to make more isk which mining helps decreasing the cost of ore since I have a character with really good reprocessing skills.

So is it worth it to have an Orca just boost the miner in the background and get more yield per hour than I would without the Orca? Because primarily that is what I'm aiming for to make more isk, but also still mine.

I don't know why but mining just gives me satisfaction for whatever reason...

-Maykid
Alexi Stokov
State War Academy
Caldari State
#17 - 2015-09-26 03:00:18 UTC
Maykid Achilles wrote:
Well I have double monitors, so one could be doing lvl 4 mission blitzing while the other mines, which I'm okay with. Also, if I decide to play other games on one monitor, on the other I can have mining going on in the background in a low populated system which would make me more isk if I wasn't playing EvE anyway. Also I do manufacturing on the side here and there to make more isk which mining helps decreasing the cost of ore since I have a character with really good reprocessing skills.

So is it worth it to have an Orca just boost the miner in the background and get more yield per hour than I would without the Orca? Because primarily that is what I'm aiming for to make more isk, but also still mine.

I don't know why but mining just gives me satisfaction for whatever reason...

-Maykid

This reads like you're trying to do anything but pay attention to the miner and probably end up losing the ship(s).
Val'Dore
PlanetCorp InterStellar
#18 - 2015-09-26 08:39:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Val'Dore
If your plan involves mining in high sec, you need a new plan.

Star Jump Drive A new way to traverse the galaxy.

I invented Tiericide

Rekt Zero
Doomheim
#19 - 2015-09-26 12:25:11 UTC
Just use Skiff. Hulk has paper thin armor that is ripe for stupid suicide ganking.
Amanda Chan
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2015-09-26 14:16:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Amanda Chan
Maykid Achilles wrote:
Hello Ladies and Gentleman,

I have a couple different questions,
First off,
I'm building an alt to run boosts and cargo as an Orca and I'm looking for a good fit. Also I noticed when I was looking around the Orca fits have Shield Harmonizing II is that worth having or not so much?

Shield Harmonizing is ok, but that also means it can't sit in a POS.

Secondly,
For mining fleets is it better to use the Hulk or Skiff? And what is a good fit for either or in fleet compositions?

Hulk if you have somebody running your ore, Mack/Skiff otherwise.

Last but not least,
What is good for a good semi afk solo miner, Mackinaw, Hulk or Skiff?
I was thinking the Mackinaw but not sure what fit to use since it's so low on cpu. If you have a fit would love to see it!

Probably Mack then.

Oh and all of this is in high sec around .7 sec status systems to .5

Thanks in advance,

Maykid

Couple of tips to use when mining in high sec.

1) Pick a empty/low population system and watch local. IIRC the best ore was to scordite/veldspar for money anyways so you don't really need that low of a system sec.

2) Use dead space shield amps/shield buffer. They're cheap as chips and provide a great buffer. My hulks were ungankable by anything less then 3 catalysts in a .5 system. Also, ignore survey scanner. Use the extra mid slot for more tank.

A fit I used was something like this:
Hulk-
3x strip miners II
2x gist c-type kinetic amps
2x gist c-type thermic amps
2x mlu II

1x cpu rig
1x shield extender rig

It came to around 20k+ ehp vs kin/therm. I think you need a +3 or +5 cpu implant, can't remember. You could use another cpu rig but you wouldn't have as much tank.

3) An Orca is a great tool to keep in a belt while mining.

a) It's a place to store your ore

b) You can store a brick tanked miasmos inside the ship maintenance array to haul your ore. When the Orca's full one of your miners just switches to hauling to empty it out. Continous mining! It's also important that it's brick tanked because....

c) If your miner is getting ganked and the tank will fail. Have that miner jump into the brick tanked Miasmos, thereby storing your hulk into the Orca and granting you free Concord provided loot. Please note this will ONLY work if you do NOT have an weapons timer or get bumped off your orca. So either keep your sec status green or turn off aggressive status on your drones.

d) If they bring enough dps to pop your Orca unless your blind or really not paying attention. You WILL see that local spike. After all, your following rule #1 yes?
12Next page