These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Breaking war-dec's. Questions and a small rant :)

First post
Author
Aquilan Aideron
Wardecs go here
#121 - 2015-09-23 15:57:43 UTC
Highsec ganking/highsec wardecs need to go. Some bored + 10 year old players heaping on new players/new corps and stopping them dead in their tracks is an hillarious awful idea.

CCP, stop being terrible at common sense.
Maxpie
MUSE LLP
#122 - 2015-09-23 16:36:07 UTC
Yet another 'problem' that could be improved if there were no alts.

No good deed goes unpunished

Ima Wreckyou
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#123 - 2015-09-23 16:54:13 UTC
Aquilan Aideron wrote:
Highsec ganking/highsec wardecs need to go. Some bored + 10 year old players heaping on new players/new corps and stopping them dead in their tracks is an hillarious awful idea.

Highsec or New Order territory as it is called today is not for new players/corps, everyone is welcome if they follow the Code. Also ganking is an essential tool to improve player retention.
admiral root
Red Galaxy
#124 - 2015-09-23 17:02:46 UTC
Aquilan Aideron wrote:

You're including the +10 year players that just started playing the game this week because of the latest antics on a particularly famous Eve blog? New players aren't all carebears, you know?

No, your rights end in optimal+2*falloff

Markus Reese
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#125 - 2015-09-23 17:11:51 UTC
Ima Wreckyou wrote:
Aquilan Aideron wrote:

Highsec or New Order territory as it is called today is not for new players/corps, everyone is welcome if they follow the Code. Also ganking is an essential tool to improve player retention.

You guys really believe that spiel dont ya....

Bringing risk in improves the few longterm that stay at the expens of many more trials, etc that never sub in the first place or leave after a month. Net benefit is a negative value.

To quote Lfod Shi

The ratting itself is PvE. Getting away with it is PvP.

Aquilan Aideron
Wardecs go here
#126 - 2015-09-23 17:19:30 UTC
admiral root wrote:
Aquilan Aideron wrote:

You're including the +10 year players that just started playing the game this week because of the latest antics on a particularly famous Eve blog? New players aren't all carebears, you know?

No, Mr. Spacetroll. Obviously I was arguing on behalf of what constitutes the vast majority and backbone of any mmo out there - the carebears.
Odie McCracken
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#127 - 2015-09-23 17:25:01 UTC
Aquilan Aideron wrote:
Obviously I was arguing on behalf of what constitutes the vast majority and backbone of any mmo out there - the carebears.

Why is this obvious? Is there any data to support that the "Vast Majority" of any MMO out there is carebears?

Perhaps Eve is different because at its core it is a different sort of game?

I just wish people making these claims would present some sort of data along with their claims, I always feel like I'm missing out on something.
Lady Ayeipsia
BlueWaffe
#128 - 2015-09-23 17:34:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Lady Ayeipsia
Aquilan Aideron wrote:

I would prefer if you do not try to bash the mechanic that has given myself and many other eve players joy for at least the last 5 years. No, not ganking but wardecs. Do you know how much material we have removed from eve? How much market we've helped create? Who else tried to hold a 100k ship FFA? We burned through more than half in 2 weeks. Who do think mined the minerals for all those ships, mods, and ammo? Who do you think bought up almost all the t1 stasis webs in jita this weekend for another FFA?

Why... Because we are at war with the cursed blues who seek to stop us from making potless pot noodles in the sacred tea pot. Curse those blues... And why is this possible... The wardec mechanic. So stop try to kill that which brings us joy and many others a market for their mods.

And if you are new and encounter a wardec... Drop corp and reform, do something else for a week, try to fight and get stronger or...Do what most of us did oh so long ago... Drop corp, join RvB and discover the fun of eve PvP. Worst case, you find a new market for your mods and minerals. Best case... You like it and grow into eve pvp till you become the next great nul FC.
Bellatrix Invicta
Doomheim
#129 - 2015-09-23 17:34:44 UTC
Aquilan Aideron wrote:
admiral root wrote:
Aquilan Aideron wrote:

No, Mr. Spacetroll. Obviously I was arguing on behalf of what constitutes the vast majority and backbone of any mmo out there - the carebears.

Good thing this isn't your average MMO then. Carebears are not the majority here.

If you think you've won, think again.

The CODE always wins.

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#130 - 2015-09-23 17:44:05 UTC
Aquilan Aideron wrote:
admiral root wrote:
Aquilan Aideron wrote:

Oh looky here lads, we have the voice of the silent majority right here in our midst.

You speak for yourself material and no one else.
Aquilan Aideron
Wardecs go here
#131 - 2015-09-23 17:47:46 UTC
Odie McCracken wrote:
Aquilan Aideron wrote:
Obviously I was arguing on behalf of what constitutes the vast majority and backbone of any mmo out there - the carebears.

Why is this obvious? Is there any data to support that the "Vast Majority" of any MMO out there is carebears?

I just wish people making these claims would present some sort of data along with their claims, I always feel like I'm missing out on something.

Perhaps it is. But im more partial to the notion that CCPs attempts at introducing peril and excitement resulted in some broken and harmful game features. Such as the common practice of wardecing fresh corps of new players. I feel its hard to miss that its detrimental for a game thats struggling with online activity.
Aquilan Aideron
Wardecs go here
#132 - 2015-09-23 17:49:40 UTC
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
Aquilan Aideron wrote:
admiral root wrote:
Aquilan Aideron wrote:

Oh looky here lads, we have the voice of the silent majority right here in our midst.

You speak for yourself material and no one else.

I would say Im one of many voices on this matter. How did you ever manage to miss that?
Celthric Kanerian
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#133 - 2015-09-23 17:49:58 UTC
Roney Strongarm wrote:

3) Mission rats got much much harder

Wait a min. They have been even easier than they are right now?
Giaus Felix
Doomheim
#134 - 2015-09-23 17:51:17 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
But they don't, because they aren't in themselves balanced. A wardeccer corp has absolutely no reason to challenge themselves. Why go after a moderately competent group of players when you can go after the rookies in whales that don't know how to tell they are being attacked until the fleet lands on them? Most mechanics have at least a rudimentary risk/reward system, but wardecs are more rewarding the less risks you take.
Many would disagree with your analysis of what balance consists of, it being a matter of opinion and opinions differing.

As for your rookies in whales, they get 24 hours notice, the same as anybody else that receives a wardec, thus that part of your post is moot.

Quote:
Something like a system where war groups can take systems and get a tax off of the inhabitants, but have to actively fight to keep control (so no entosis structures). This would mean that fighting over control of space used by PVE players would be rewarding and you'd end up fighting other interested parties rather than mass attacking soft targets. Whatever way you swing it, the current system has been broken since it became possible to have hundreds of wardecs.
CODE. have already done this, they've laid claim to space and attempt to tax people for its use, people like you have been decrying them since they started.

Quote:
Whether you want to blame rookies for being terrible or the wardec groups for only targetting rookies is irrelevant, the long and short of it is that it's more rewarding to go after softer targets, which is dumb.
Your blinkers are making you blind, it is not only rookies that are targeted by wardecs, it is a risk that any player corporation in highsec faces; some of them adapt, some cry.

Quote:
So allowing people to be more rewarded for going after soft targets is bad. People who choose to actively seek out more challenging content should be more rewarded. But they aren't, because the mechanics are stupid. There's always going to be easy stuff to do, but it should be the least rewarding. Like how highsec ore mining is shockingly low income. Choosing to hide behind concord and mass wardec rookies should be nowhere near as rewarding or even as feasible as it currently is.
That's not what I said, and you know it. I suggested that people inform themselves of the relevant mechanics and act upon them.

Wardecs are trivial to avoid if you don't want to be a victim of them, ignorance of how to do so is the problem, as you're obviously a concerned citizen maybe you should try being an enemy of ignorance and start informing people of their options instead of supporting the removal of wardecs.

Your constant use of the term rookie risks turning into a trope.

I came for the spaceships, I stayed for the tears.

Markus Reese
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#135 - 2015-09-23 17:52:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Markus Reese
Bellatrix Invicta wrote:

Good thing this isn't your average MMO then. Carebears are not the majority here.

Wow...

Yes, yes they are. In fact carebearing in eve is the most extreme of any game. Pvp to Pve ratio in eve is massive for the level of time spent PvE. This is industry, alts running, etc.

I have played many games since the online gaming first started showing up. there is no game that has the sheer level of PvE required to play than eve. This is loosely defined. PvE meaning anything not directly combat related. This also covers stuff like "market pvp" etc. How many PvPers have their carebear alts? How much time is spent running moon mining, industry, PI, rat farming, exploration sites for sov, etc?

Yeah, rich people can go back to new player ships and casual pvp it, but for casual pvp, I will play a more competitive MOBA... Is why I have no real killboard. I have no interest in eve casual PVP. I have MANY!!!!! games that offer casual PvP but more exciting and challenging than docking games or an hour of hunting to press F1.

Goes back to the topic. Eve is a Carebear game cause the combat pvp has little value. What does put value does it fairly poorly. FW and sov. People actively avoid what could be called a good fight. That is not combat pvp, that is PvE since you make it a standoff and surrender most of the time. Hence the jump changes.

Hence eve needs value to combat pvp. Pirate vs Empire Warfare and requiring lasting and extended effects so it is actually a part of the game instead of a novelty or casual play. Warfare needs to have the same to it.

A good way for that is to have a more interactive war declaration system. Similar to the adaptive pricing to office, war declarations should be like laying claim to something. Corp A challenges Corp B for a claim in these systems. Done. Suddenly it is control fight with reasons. What you pay is what you get or something so RVB can put up contest systems, constellations or regions.

To quote Lfod Shi

The ratting itself is PvE. Getting away with it is PvP.

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#136 - 2015-09-23 17:53:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
@ Giaus Felix

It's Lucas, you're wasting your time. He's so stuck in his ways that you'd require several tractors, a team of cart-horses and several gallons of lubricant to remove him from them.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#137 - 2015-09-23 17:55:48 UTC
Aquilan Aideron wrote:
Odie McCracken wrote:
Aquilan Aideron wrote:

Perhaps it is. But im more partial to the notion that CCPs attempts at introducing peril and excitement resulted in some broken and harmful game features. Such as the common practice of wardecing fresh corps of new players. I feel its hard to miss that its detrimental for a game thats struggling with online activity.

Truth is though that people who have an interaction with veteran players early (even if it is getting shot in the face) are statistically more likely to engage with the game and stick around.

Ccp tried to prove what you're guessing at and found through their own data that the opposite was the case, ccp rise gave a presentation regarding the new player experience to this effect last fanfest which you can find on YouTube should you care to go look.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#138 - 2015-09-23 18:06:09 UTC
Lady Ayeipsia wrote:
Aquilan Aideron wrote:

I would prefer if you do not try to bash the mechanic that has given myself and many other eve players joy for at least the last 5 years. No, not ganking but wardecs. Do you know how much material we have removed from eve? How much market we've helped create? Who else tried to hold a 100k ship FFA? We burned through more than half in 2 weeks. Who do think mined the minerals for all those ships, mods, and ammo? Who do you think bought up almost all the t1 stasis webs in jita this weekend for another FFA?

Why... Because we are at war with the cursed blues who seek to stop us from making potless pot noodles in the sacred tea pot. Curse those blues... And why is this possible... The wardec mechanic. So stop try to kill that which brings us joy and many others a market for their mods.

And if you are new and encounter a wardec... Drop corp and reform, do something else for a week, try to fight and get stronger or...Do what most of us did oh so long ago... Drop corp, join RvB and discover the fun of eve PvP. Worst case, you find a new market for your mods and minerals. Best case... You like it and grow into eve pvp till you become the next great nul FC.
On allow wardecs if they are mutual. Fixed!

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Aquilan Aideron
Wardecs go here
#139 - 2015-09-23 18:10:18 UTC
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
Aquilan Aideron wrote:
Odie McCracken wrote:
Aquilan Aideron wrote:

Truth is though that people who have an interaction with veteran players early (even if it is getting shot in the face) are statistically more likely to engage with the game and stick around.

Ccp tried to prove what you're guessing at and found through their own data that the opposite was the case, ccp rise gave a presentation regarding the new player experience to this effect last fanfest which you can find on YouTube should you care to go look.

I find myself completely convinced by this argument. Especially after checking the online numbers.
ISD Dorrim Barstorlode
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#140 - 2015-09-23 18:22:38 UTC
Feyd Rautha Harkonnen wrote:
Hello,

it is humbly requested that people do not inline-quote shiptoasters, so that my "Hide Posts" setting on their profiles works correctly.

I thank you for your consideration in this matter. With your help we can make the EvE-O forums a better place.

F

Is reddit much better?

ISD Dorrim Barstorlode

Senior Lead

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department