These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev blog: Looking behind and looking ahead - update from CCP Seagull

First post
Author
marly cortez
Mercurialis Inc.
The Bastion
#41 - 2015-09-18 08:25:22 UTC
Good to hear that maybe CCP is finally getting on the same wavelength as the player base regarding iteration schedules, sad it took so long before you grasped what was wrong with that system on so many levels, Please don't spoil it by trying to spin it off as 'Oh We Just Had This Brilliant Idea'.

Next thing you need to redact is spoofing Time Dilation as some sort of feature, those of us who have played EVE for years recognized what it was, what was causing it and that CCP were never going to be able to solve that simple problem of the speed of light.

As a CeO of a Corp that has watched it's member base activity levels plummet these past months we have had the chance to actually poll those guys and ask them why they stopped playing EVE, Multi Iterations was one minor point, Jump Fatigue however was a major issue for them as was the Multi-boxing debacles, I can hear the Trolls winding themselves up already, Forget it, not interested in what your point of view is, it's a very singular one and does not reflect the issues it caused for a lot of people in regards to there personal content provision in EVE, Had CCP a grain of sense they would have bought out ISBOXER outright, modified it for there needs and rented it to the players for a fee.

The final straw for a lot though was the issues present to them by the proposed 'Fozzie Sov'. They realized long before the details were finalized that turning playing an MMO into a daily index grinding job was not for them, they moved on and unless CCP do something radical, few if any will return.

So it was no one thing, just a series of items on a long list that finally ground them down, Yes it's good to hear your finally looking at the problem seriously, Yes Eve is a sandbox of a type, but turning it into a bland pile of dirt as has happened to date leaves it holding little or no interest for players, If you want to build a pay to win FPS space ships game then go design one, market it and make money, The Ethos of EVE was never that and never could be.

Humanity is the thin veneer that remains after you remove the baffled chimp.

Aiyshimin
Descendant Command
#42 - 2015-09-18 09:07:47 UTC
marly cortez wrote:

As a CeO of a Corp that has watched it's member base activity levels plummet these past months we have had the chance to actually poll those guys and ask them why they stopped playing EVE, Multi Iterations was one minor point, Jump Fatigue however was a major issue for them as was the Multi-boxing debacles, I can hear the Trolls winding themselves up already, Forget it, not interested in what your point of view is, it's a very singular one and does not reflect the issues it caused for a lot of people in regards to there personal content provision in EVE, Had CCP a grain of sense they would have bought out ISBOXER outright, modified it for there needs and rented it to the players for a fee.

The final straw for a lot though was the issues present to them by the proposed 'Fozzie Sov'. They realized long before the details were finalized that turning playing an MMO into a daily index grinding job was not for them, they moved on and unless CCP do something radical, few if any will return.

So it was no one thing, just a series of items on a long list that finally ground them down, Yes it's good to hear your finally looking at the problem seriously, Yes Eve is a sandbox of a type, but turning it into a bland pile of dirt as has happened to date leaves it holding little or no interest for players, If you want to build a pay to win FPS space ships game then go design one, market it and make money, The Ethos of EVE was never that and never could be.

Then again, isbotter point of view is also singular one and does not reflect the issues isbotting caused to the game and majority of the playerbase, so just forget it because it's not interesting to us.

Jump Fatigue is a total non-issue to most players, but most disturbing is your view on iterations- EVE has progressed into a better game at an accelerated pace, thanks to the faster release cycle and continuous effort by devs on iterating features and balance.
Emmy Mnemonic
Svea Rike
Northern Coalition.
#43 - 2015-09-18 09:08:07 UTC
Indahmawar Fazmarai wrote:
Emmy Mnemonic wrote:
Very intelligent and also a very good blog with great news! Expansions draw new players, continous updates retains the existing playerbase. Voila!

However all of us with capitals and cyno accounts probably won't resub those accounts until the new roles of supers and caps are released, not just announced! Meanwhile we are playing EVE with our main accounts, trying to find fun activities, so we ARE allready doing what you want us to CCP Seagul!

But, as I also understand that the decrease in payed accounts now has started to hurt CCP, to the community I would suggest we start resubbing some payed accounts to support CCP a bit; the news revealed sofar about structures etc are really promising, and CCP Seaguls blog is to, Fozziesov is beeing iterated on and will be better in time.

I'll go first and resub one account in the weekend. Just one, but still, a signal for CCP!

LOL then I may freeze my main for a bit longer just to compensate! P

In my humble opinion, CCP bid on the wrong horse with the Rubicon Plan. Once the Plan is done, CCP will not have time nor likely money to adress the issue of having lost XX% of their players forever.

It is moving that CCP Seagull asks us to share her view, trust CCP and do good for EVE. But good doing is a two way road and my trust in CCP lies behind a locked door in my Captain's Quarters. Last but not least, I just don't share CCP Seagull's view of replaying Apochrypha with new space, new PvP content and the yadda yadda yadda.

Ok, so I'll just sub two accounts then, to compensate for your compensation. Many like me think the changrs are for the better and now when CCP is listening again, let's give them some help!

Ex ex-CEO of Svea Rike [.S.R.]

Obidiah Kane
Black Rebel Rifter Club
The Devil's Tattoo
#44 - 2015-09-18 10:29:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Obidiah Kane
Top work as always Seagull and CCP, loving how fluid and responsive you have been, not rushing things, getting the data properly analysed and admitting when you have got things wrong - that takes balls, much respect. As an SAS provider myself I have the utmost respect for your candour and your vision, your transparency and resilience in the face of vitriol from some of the most uppity, self centred and spoilt prigs in gaming history.

In the 7 years I since I started playing, some things have worked, some things haven't, but I am intelligent enough to understand that is how things like this evolve...please know there are players and people out there who can see beyond their own selfish demands and understand and appreciate the completely unique and wonderful product you provide us with.

This is the only game I play...looking forward to the next year. Fly safe, Seagull.
Rek Seven
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#45 - 2015-09-18 11:10:40 UTC
The Jesus feature is resurrected!!

Now that the balancing/redesigning of ships and mechanics is almost complete, i hope CCP take a second look at avatar based gameplay! Not that WIS social areas bs but instead, meaningful gameplay to flesh out the world of New Eden.
ImYourMom
Retribution Holdings Corp
Retribution.
#46 - 2015-09-18 11:13:03 UTC
thanks seagull I've really missed and I think eve has missed these big expansions. nice to see them back.
Tyby
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#47 - 2015-09-18 12:28:33 UTC
look, CCP Seagul remembered eve have a playerbase...all is good now Cool

wallet feedback, best feedback Blink
Jade Blackwind
#48 - 2015-09-18 13:02:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Jade Blackwind
devblog wrote:
Support the future of EVE Online

If you want to support us in taking EVE to the next level of one-of-a-kind sandbox gameplay, here's what you can do to help:
• Play EVE! Find a new challenge in the game, make new friends, and try something new or old. As they say: “A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.”
•Mentor someone who is new or looking to join EVE Online
• Brew a plan to mess with someone who deserves it
• Give us feedback and work alongside us to improve EVE.

Traumatica wrote:
The pace has quickened as we approach the drain

Raz Xym wrote:
Mostlyharmlesss wrote:
We know the PCU is down and all but holy ****, is it so bad that you actually have to write a part of a devblog essentially begging people to log in?

I know, I was hoping I was dreaming. That was ******* scary.

Interesting, isn't it? I watch with amusement.
Flynn Fetladral
Tempered Aggression
Seker Matar
#49 - 2015-09-18 18:07:09 UTC
I’m pumped! Cool

Oh and we used a little officer mods. KIDDING! We used a lot of officers mods, A LOT! Because we don’t :censored: around in low-sec.

@flynnfetladral on #tweetfleet

Tyranis Marcus
Bloody Heathens
#50 - 2015-09-18 19:46:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Tyranis Marcus
Great Blog!

Thanks.

Do not run. We are your friends.

Edwin Wyatt
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#51 - 2015-09-18 21:07:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Edwin Wyatt
Sounds like CCP is grasping at straws, you made fatal decision regarding the frequency of expansions and clearly don't have a clue how your own game functions. Your subs are slowly declining and you have alienated much of your core players who might never return.

You need to first understand the universe in which your trying to shape, you need to be apart of the universe, participate openly and see things from other players perspectives. Ill give you the first hint, when players won't make plans in your game beyond 30 days because of the frequency of your patch cycle, I don't see any reason to keep a sub going past my first 30 days. It takes months if not years to train into a ship you like and when things are changing every 5 weeks, I might as well play something else.

This is why eve was successful for many years, it had a static universe, were mechanics remained unchanged for long periods of time.

I wish you all the best CCP but I have a feeling the days of New Eden are numbered.

Ed
Xiomaro Puxi
Demonic Affliction
#52 - 2015-09-18 21:16:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Xiomaro Puxi
"159Pinky wrote:
Is that a good idea? I'd like to hear your viewpoint.
How much would new themepark content be worth to you, if it had no impact outside of your profile, ala Skyrim.
Seriously, how much? PLEX for ISK goes off the table, so all the money you earn can be spent on things instead of time. That's good, right?

I know how much Elite costs. I can play that offline. And it's pretty. I haven't bought it yet.
I started playing STO again. I bought a $25 point card which could buy me a single ship. Almost nothing that I do in that game makes any material difference to the userbase. (But the Goons still try. ;) My fleet already has a full Starbase. The whole game is on cruise control and the market is a complete joke. But boy, the themepark stuff sure is pretty.

It just seems like you (Xiomaro and the "solo players") want it both ways in one product, and that hasn't been working out so well.

P.S. If I could buy PLEX cards at my local 7-11, I might like that a lot. Smile[/quote]"

CCP is practically begging players to play. That about says it all. If their end game was to lose as many players as possible in 3 or 4 years they are doing and outstanding job; give those responsible raises. Job well done!

If all I wanted to do is get mugged, raped then shat on while bad mouthed I would live in the worst, seediest, most violent inner city available. I put to you that most people move out of those inner cities as fast as possible, no mater how beautiful the paint job on the buildings or how much the local thugs and slumlords want you to stay. CCP, the CSM and hard core pvp players have turned EVE into a game fewer and fewer players want to play because it is no longer fun for them. If it was, the number of players would have held steadish and possibly risen a bit even in this bad economy. No one likes to lose a time investment of years and years of playtime if avoidable.

To end, let me ask you a question. The number of players is going down dramatically. New subscriptions are also going down. Eve is no longer in the news like it used to be. Fewer and fewer players are posting on forums recommending EVE to the gaming community. Do you think EVE is headed in the right direction? I am interested in reading your opinion.
TheLostPenguin
Surreal Departure
#53 - 2015-09-18 22:09:37 UTC
Devblog wrote:
...and a whole mess of graphical improvements.

Ok I guess it's a typo or just someone not entirely fluent in engrish, but damn sometimes the accidental truth is the best.

Good CCP you finally realised you screwed up by ditching expansions, big releases and the hype surrounding them were probably the single biggest thing that ever got people to notice EVE, not surprising new players aren't turning up when nobody is talking about EVE other than the disgruntled players leaving.
Horus V
The Destined
#54 - 2015-09-18 23:49:18 UTC
Expansions = Hype = $

patches = patches

V

lisa 8
hirr
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#55 - 2015-09-19 04:27:17 UTC  |  Edited by: lisa 8
I have to agree with this comment from EvENews24.

"When people look back, 2015 will be remembered as the year EvE players, started the year filled with hope, but so far have been left gutted with disappointment.
The CCP hyped Ageis Sov system, with it's whole Entosis Mechanic, fell flat, as players on TQ have proven, they don't like & don't want it. Players given the choice of playing, or not playing with it, overwhelming have voted not to play. CCP's decision to move away from large scale fights & to focus EvE as a game about cruisers and frigates, geared towards small scale engagements is proving to be a fatal mistake.
For years, players having been telling CCP what was needed;
* Better Alliance Mechanics are needed - a bottom up taxation system rather than have them rely on rental empires. Make Corps have to join Alliances & limit the number of Corps they could have in them.
* Coalition Mechanics are needed - Limit their sizes, limit the number of blues they could have, limit the number of systems they could hold at once.
* The reliance on passive Moon Goo revenue had to be addressed - an alternate income system for alliance & corps to tax members was needed.
* Limit the number of Super's/Titans in the game
* Strong measures to encourage the migration of players & corps from High Sec to Low & onto Nul Sec was needed. So much of Nul Sec particularly is empty.
* Players like things that go boom - They like and want large scale fights, what they don't want, is the TiDi that accompanies those fights.
But greed is good & not actually listening to your customer base works, right?
CCP forgot EvE is like a house of cards, you can not tug at 1 string, without pulling on a heap of others & all the neglect is coming home to roost in spades.
So now, with too little, too late, all will magically be fixed & players will flock back to what was once the best game out there?. Highly doubtful, there is too much quality competition out there all wanting our hard earned cash.
Sadly, it looks like a case of will the last one out, please turn off the lights.
It will be interesting to see how many people actually bother to go to fanfest next year, if the game lasts that long."

I hope CCP reads this and takes notice.
Personally, I much prefer the idea of Damage Mitigation, over the failed Entosis Mechanics and can't see why we really have to have vulnerability windows. You should be able to attack things at any time, not just at set times.
I want to be playing this game in years to come, but unless something changes, & these things get addressed, I just can't see that happening as more and more people opt out.
Indahmawar Fazmarai
#56 - 2015-09-19 08:16:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Indahmawar Fazmarai
lisa 8 wrote:
I have to agree with this comment from EvENews24.

"(...)
* Limit the number of Super's/Titans in the game"

Err... how? And what about all the people quitting because they reached their goal of sitting in a spacefaring coffin and it turned to be formerly boring and now downright useless?

"* Strong measures to encourage the migration of players & corps from High Sec to Low & onto Nul Sec was needed. So much of Nul Sec particularly is empty."

The little fact that people will rather quit than play YOUR way comes to mind. But you're not alone: CCP is having some serious issues dealing with what people DO as compared to what CCP wishes they did.

"* Players like things that go boom - They like and want large scale fights, what they don't want, is the TiDi that accompanies those fights."

I've never given a flying f*ck of nullsec, big lagfests/tidifests included. Either CCP is lying to us very convincingly, or it turns that that's exactly the majoritary opinion of players.

In their heydays, big fleet battles would gather like 10% of the server population. That means, for the mathematics handicapped, than even during the fiercest nullsec battles 90% of the players were doing something else.
flaming phantom
Unlimited LTD
#57 - 2015-09-19 08:38:00 UTC
does that mean that the awesome expansion trailers are going to be coming back? Big smile
Ms Michigan
Aviation Professionals for EVE
Virtus Crusade Protectorate
#58 - 2015-09-19 08:43:38 UTC
In RE: to Lisa 8 above...I whole-heartedly disagree. Entosis and FozzieSOV work. They are good ideas. I think stations though and V2 may not be a bad idea. BUT------> CCP needs to make it a HYBRID too! Let Entosis links help slow the damage repair. Give small ships a role! :) (See CCP - you like that idea don't you!? :)

Overall - GREAT DEVBLOG CCP Seagull. HYBRID is the way to go. And I don't just say that because I am Gallente. :)
M1k3y Koontz
THE AESIR.
Hostile Probes
#59 - 2015-09-19 13:00:46 UTC
Xiomaro Puxi wrote:
about the same number of people playing now as in 2008. bang up job! how about giving players what they want instead of all this pvp content? Missions were nerfed. mining nerfed. exploration nerfed and made sooooo complicated. solo content is almost non existent. eve is only fun now if you like being someone else's (insert b word here). yeah, that's my input. Oh i forgot, but it's so pretty these days!!!

Lol Yes, the evil CCP is ruining your game. Tell me again how mining was nerfed? Or exploration? Or how everyone in EVE acutally wants LESS PVP content?!

You should get out of highsec, it's actually safer in nullsec.

How much herp could a herp derp derp if a herp derp could herp derp.

M1k3y Koontz
THE AESIR.
Hostile Probes
#60 - 2015-09-19 13:04:39 UTC
gascanu wrote:
Quote:
Give us feedback and work alongside us to improve EVE.

i will like to politely point it to you that in the last year or so, with one exception(the citadel mechanic) all the player feedback has at large been ignored... so if you really want feedback, maybe some CCP devs should get that stick out... and relearn that eve is such a complex game you can not "always know everything ", and start actually READ player feedback.

p.s: oh and one question: WHERE should we post our feedback, since devs looks to be way more active on reddit than official forums, should we also go to reddit?

"Domionion sov sucks!"

CCP: Ok we replaces Dominion sov

"Fozziesov sucks!"

CCP: Ok we made some changes to fozziesov.

"Fozziesov still sucks!"

CCP: We'll continue adapting it as needed.

"POS's suck!"

CCP: We're replacing POSs with citadels.

Coming Soon™:

"Citadels suck!"

CCP can't win. People need to calm the **** down and realize that the players are being listened to.

How much herp could a herp derp derp if a herp derp could herp derp.