These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Stock up on those 100W Incandescent Light Bulbs!

First post
Author
Shadowsword
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#81 - 2012-01-04 11:31:44 UTC
For those that don't use a GPM metrics, 16 miles per gallon is equivalent to 14.7 liters per 100km. This is easily four times the fuel usage or a modern european/japanese city car, and this is the most fuel efficient pick-up? Talk about lunacy...

The state should raise the tax on fuel, that would bring some awareness and common sense to the american population.
VKhaun Vex
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#82 - 2012-01-04 12:17:51 UTC  |  Edited by: VKhaun Vex
16mpg is not the most fuel efficient truck, and it's most certainly not a city measurement. A good truck is more like 25mpg city (9.4L/100km).

And for the record, I'm an American and I drive a Smart ForTwo. Cool I don't actually know my MPG on that. Websites and advertisements vary greatly. I estimated 44mpg (5.4L/100km) last time I counted, but that was brand new and mostly low speed. I work 15min from home. It's probably very difficult for the tiny car to manage on the highway. Efficiency probably goes downhill very quickly there and is what makes the tests vary so much... but I'm speculating.

Charges Twilight fans with Ka-bar -Surfin's PlunderBunny LIIIIIIIIIIINNEEEEE PIIIEEEECCCCEEE!!!!!!! -Taedrin Using relativity to irrational numbers is smart -rodyas I no longer believe we landed on the moon. -Atticus Fynch

Jhagiti Tyran
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#83 - 2012-01-04 12:37:28 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
]"Ford has announced that the 302-horsepower 3.7 will serve up 16 miles per gallon in the city and 23 on the highway in rear-wheel drive models, the latter figure making it the most fuel-efficient full-size pickup on the market. Stepping up the next rung to the 5.0-liter V8 will get you 360 horses and a fine 15 city, 21 highway EPA fuel economy rating, another best-in-class figure."

Jesus **** thats horrid. No wonder people over there are losing their homes, all their cash is getting burned up with these things.

The best part of those stupid trucks is the build quality and engineering of the truck and the interior, they are like a vehicle from 1970s Europe. They are so bad even British Leyland wouldn't have made them.
Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#84 - 2012-01-04 13:07:33 UTC
Jhagiti Tyran wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
]"Ford has announced that the 302-horsepower 3.7 will serve up 16 miles per gallon in the city and 23 on the highway in rear-wheel drive models, the latter figure making it the most fuel-efficient full-size pickup on the market. Stepping up the next rung to the 5.0-liter V8 will get you 360 horses and a fine 15 city, 21 highway EPA fuel economy rating, another best-in-class figure."

Jesus **** thats horrid. No wonder people over there are losing their homes, all their cash is getting burned up with these things.

The best part of those stupid trucks is the build quality and engineering of the truck and the interior, they are like a vehicle from 1970s Europe. They are so bad even British Leyland wouldn't have made them.

what's more is that here in europe, a pickup (which is considered a work car) is usually powered by a diesel engine that provides better fuel efficiency and more torque per litre, which is more important than raw horsepower when you're going offroad and climbing ridges.

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Citizen20100211442
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#85 - 2012-01-04 13:54:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Citizen20100211442
Shadowsword wrote:
For those that don't use a GPM metrics, 16 miles per gallon is equivalent to 14.7 liters per 100km. This is easily four times the fuel usage or a modern european/japanese city car, and this is the most fuel efficient pick-up? Talk about lunacy...

The state should raise the tax on fuel, that would bring some awareness and common sense to the american population.

I would like to see how you would transport 1.5 tons , or pull trailer into hill with your ***-looking japanese or french car. Also USA is bigger and less infrastructured than Europe, so more universal car is allways good. For comparision poor russians in Siberia drives Ural's and various tracked vehicles even as simple A to B transportation, maybe you want argue with them about economy and convince them to drive Smart?

To be, or not to be, that's the question.

Herr Wilkus
Aggressive Salvage Services LLC
#86 - 2012-01-04 14:02:37 UTC
I love it when people only look at horsepower and completely neglect to consider torque. You know, the other white meat?

American large displacement engines have it three times as much of it as an equivalent horsepower Euro engine.

Its why your run of the mill Chrysler 300 will mop the floor with an expensive BMW M3 at the drag strip without breaking a sweat.

You can't replace displacement. End of story, unless you think a pint of fuel holds more stored energy than a gallon of fuel.

Smaller displacement European engines can increase their power through higher compression, variable timing, and short stroke - but that opens a whole can of worms which you may or may not want to deal with.

-Higher compression means higher octane rating fuel to prevent predet.
-Higher compression causes more chamber violence, more maintenence, and leads to performance losses over time as rings suffer.
-Variable timing ads a layer of complexity - and a layer of extra maint costs.
-Shorter stroke, more revs. More revs = more wear and tear on the engine = shorter lifespan and faster degredation of performance. 50K miles down the road, European power levels will drop much further than an equivalent Domestic.

My point is this: European engines are smaller, achieve respectable amounts of power using less fuel. But that comes at a cost of higher complexity, higher price, higher maintenance costs, lower torque and a narrower 'powerband'.

Now that is a lot of crap to think about when us "Meerikans" (*spit*) can simply make an engine with a wider torque curve, that allows for lower engine rpm to be sustained in high gear, yielding excellent fuel economy, while still allowing it to pull like hell on top. Oh and guess what. No variable mechanical timing, no high compression ratios, no numerous valves, no tons of camshafts, no dismal powerband, and actual block/component strength.
Jhagiti Tyran
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#87 - 2012-01-04 14:05:35 UTC
Citizen20100211442 wrote:
Shadowsword wrote:

I would like to see how you would transport 1.5 tons , or pull trailer into hill with your ***-looking japanese or french car. Also USA is bigger and less infrastructured than Europe, so more universal car is allways good. For comparision poor russians in Siberia drives Ural's and various tracked vehicles even as simple A to B transportation, maybe you want argue with them about economy and convince them to drive Smart?

Sure people might need something that can carry stuff around, still doesn't explain the fact that they are inefficient and crudely made.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#88 - 2012-01-04 15:13:04 UTC
Herr Wilkus wrote:
stuff

Get a ford transit van. Not only will it carry more but it will also do around 40 MPG.
Riedle
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#89 - 2012-01-04 17:57:00 UTC

Quote:
Sure people might need something that can carry stuff around, still doesn't explain the fact that they are inefficient and crudely made.

Uhhhmm.. When was the last time you were in a new pickup? They are very nice on the inside and ride like a Cadillac. They are some of the nicest vehicles on the road from a comfort perspective not to mention the utility of them.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#90 - 2012-01-04 18:47:04 UTC
Riedle wrote:

Uhhhmm.. When was the last time you were in a new pickup? They are very nice on the inside and ride like a Cadillac. They are some of the nicest vehicles on the road from a comfort perspective not to mention the utility of them.

This is what top gear thinks of the F150
Darrow Hill
Vodka and Vice
#91 - 2012-01-04 19:11:30 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Riedle wrote:

This is what top gear thinks of the F150

That's the Lightning. A ******** "performance" pickup.

F150 (or any other light duty pickup) have a very specific purpose, and it's not commuting to and from work or getting groceries.

Sure, hate on the douche bags that drop $50k on an F150 Limited because they look nice in the driveway. But if your out in the field you'll want something with a proper four wheel drive system.
Surfin's PlunderBunny
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#92 - 2012-01-04 19:27:03 UTC
I haz an F150 Big smile

I use it when I have crap to move around. I use my Kia when I want to save money on fuel but still have room for stuff, and my Harley when I want to be awesome Cool

"Little ginger moron" ~David Hasselhoff 

Want to see what Surf is training or how little isk Surf has?  http://eveboard.com/pilot/Surfin%27s_PlunderBunny

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#93 - 2012-01-04 19:30:46 UTC
Darrow Hill wrote:

That's the Lightning. A ******** "performance" pickup.

F150 (or any other light duty pickup) have a very specific purpose, and it's not commuting to and from work or getting groceries.

Sure, hate on the douche bags that drop $50k on an F150 Limited because they look nice in the driveway. But if your out in the field you'll want something with a proper four wheel drive system.

I dont see how a million of those things get sold a year...

But yea, if people need a pickup just get a Toyota Hilux.
Jiska Ensa
Estrale Frontiers
#94 - 2012-01-04 19:33:35 UTC
Troll success. I've never met anyone who has wanted to keep the old bulbs around - they simply buy them still because they are cheaper.
Alain Kinsella
#95 - 2012-01-04 21:44:37 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Herr Wilkus wrote:
stuff

Get a ford transit van. Not only will it carry more but it will also do around 40 MPG.

Or Prius V for above-average loads. Though the normal one can do quite a lot actually (I did most of my last move using mine).

"The Meta Game does not stop at the game. Ever."

Currently Retired / Semi-Casual (pending changes to RL concerns).

Jhagiti Tyran
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#96 - 2012-01-04 22:07:39 UTC
Riedle wrote:

Quote:

Exactly, you choose to compare it to a Cadillac and really believe that's a badge of quality.
Selinate
#97 - 2012-01-04 22:31:29 UTC
Shadowsword wrote:
Herr Wilkus wrote:

...stuff...

Dude, I honestly think you could use some psychological attention. You're making a lot of irrationnal generalisations (like claiming that intelligent people are against the ban, and so implying that all "leftists", you you also claim are all for it, are idiots) to support your hatred of Obama and "leftists". It is borderline fanatical reasonning, and much more harmful to your country that a ban on obsolete lighting tech ever will.

Welcome to the entire premise that the current republican presidential candidates are running on right now. Fanatical reasoning and ignorant ramblings.
Selinate
#98 - 2012-01-04 22:41:33 UTC

Yes, this is usually what Earl and Jebediah are doing, while driving in their 1995 Chevy Silverado.

NOT.

FFS, most people buy trucks just to feel big and bad, and they don't even bother to use the god damn things for towing or carrying stuff that they couldn't use an economy class sedan for.

Try harder to justify your idiocy.
Herr Wilkus
Aggressive Salvage Services LLC
#99 - 2012-01-04 23:13:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Herr Wilkus
baltec1 wrote:

Spoken like someone who got his auto knowledge from TV, rather than the garage. Even basic engine fundamentals go over your head.

But thats OK. You were just born on the wrong continent.

The availability of affordable, powerful engines (which are fun) fosters a US middle-class car culture that has long ago been killed off Europe. Seriously, a rebuilt long block Chevy 350 can be had for around $1000.
Thats a lot of bang for your buck.

Americans make the fastest, most powerful engines in the world.

That is what happens when you take an American big-block V-8, a custom racing cam, and twin Garrett turbos - to a heavy frame likely built 40 years ago. And they guy likely did it in his garage in his spare time.

But torque is useful for other purposes, other than neck-snapping acceleration.

Selinate wrote:

Yes, this is usually what Earl and Jebediah are doing, while driving in their 1995 Chevy Silverado.

NOT.

FFS, most people buy trucks just to feel big and bad, and they don't even bother to use the god damn things for towing or carrying stuff that they couldn't use an economy class sedan for.

Try harder to justify your idiocy.

We, in the USA have these things called '5th Wheels'. Large Trailers that are so large they extend over the back of a pickup. Toy Haulers, as well - trailers large enough to live in AND haul 2 Snowmachines or ATVs.
Don't forget pulling boats. We live in pretty mountainous terrain here.....but American trucks have the torque you need to pull heavy loads up a mountain without missing a beat. The only place I've seen lots of American trucks? Norway. Because **** weak 6 cyl Ford Transits don't cut it.

And suppose you don't have a lot of heavy toys to haul around...

Big American engines make lots of torque with lower RPMs, which translates into longer engine life and improved performance over the life of the engine. Smaller European engines use higher RPMs to try to compensate for small displacement, but that results in an engine that simply wears out far more quickly.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#100 - 2012-01-04 23:40:08 UTC
Herr Wilkus wrote:
baltec1 wrote:

Spoken like someone who got his auto knowledge from TV, rather than the garage. Even basic engine fundamentals go over your head.

But thats OK. You were just born on the wrong continent.

The availability of affordable, powerful engines (which are fun) fosters a US middle-class car culture that has long ago been killed off Europe. Seriously, a rebuilt long block Chevy 350 can be had for around $1000.
Thats a lot of bang for your buck.

Americans make the fastest, most powerful engines in the world.

That is what happens when you take an American big-block V-8, a custom racing cam, and twin Garrett turbos - to a heavy frame likely built 40 years ago. And they guy likely did it in his garage in his spare time.

But torque is useful for other purposes, other than neck-snapping acceleration.

Yea I'll stick with getting 100+ mpg on the motoway and good build quality while you wrap your big-block V8 money burner around the nearest tree as you try to nagotiate the first bend.