These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

In Defense of CCP Fozzie

Author
Caleb Seremshur
Commando Guri
Guristas Pirates
#21 - 2015-09-10 09:01:25 UTC
Hasikan Miallok wrote:
Amarisen Gream wrote:

I will be patient and wait while CCP makes these changes and hopefully learns what all the other programmers world wide have learned - people hate drastic change, but smaller pieces that people can adopt to aren't so bad.

Actually most programmers never learn this.

There is also a very good reason people hate drastic change in games. Most players in most games like to think that the success of their character build is at least partly based on good/bad decisions they made creating the character and equipping it.

If changes are so extreme that the success or failure of your particular builds seemingly depends on the current mood the developer is in (rather than your own personal decisions) people will quickly lose interest.

Are you suggesting that this forms part of the reason why WoW has whelped 8 million subs? Because game balance and design is made in spite of their playerbase?
Opertone
State War Academy
Caldari State
#22 - 2015-09-10 12:56:20 UTC
I defend the article and CCP Fozzie

everything said above is right

From my personal point of view - player base consists of people deprived of attention and lacking compassion and friendship. This is why they get together to play in their own age group. This is also why they seek attention from CCP team in any manner possible, as if they miss help encouragement and control which they formerly received from parents.

So to them CCP is like a parent to a child. And children like to tease and abuse parents as a form of self entertainment.

This post sums up why the 'best' work with DCM inc.

WARP DRIVE makes eve boring

really - add warping align time 300% on gun aggression and eve becomes great again

Salvos Rhoska
#23 - 2015-09-10 13:13:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Salvos Rhoska
I dont care.

As long as there is never again an incident of CCP staff favoring some players unequally, or punishing some players unequally.

I dont have any particular sympathy for any CCP staff when they are poopooed on non-official sites.
Its comes with the job and is in the nature of the internet.

I dont sympathise with players who poopoo them either.
Just cos they can say whatever they like, doesnt mean I have to like it or agree with it, or like or respect them as people.
And I dont.

I would advise CCP to draw a tighter line regarding staff fraternizing with players.
The more buddybuddy you get, the more potential for problems arise.

Players are not your friends. They want something from you.
The EVE metagame of influencing and turning staff is a very real and prevalent thing.
Webvan
All Kill No Skill
#24 - 2015-09-10 13:13:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Webvan
Caleb Seremshur wrote:
Are you suggesting that this forms part of the reason why WoW has whelped 8 million subs? Because game balance and design is made in spite of their playerbase?
Irony is it didn't seem to hurt Blizzard which increased another $10mil between 1st and 2nd quarter (ending June 30th, 2015). I guess dropping 6.4mil subs got them Blizzard fanbois to spend even more on other Blizzard games... lol

btw I still wouldn't buy a playstation Straight

I'm in it for the money

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F12

Ultim8Evil
Exit-Strategy
Unchained Alliance
#25 - 2015-09-10 20:30:39 UTC
Starbuck05 wrote:
I can't say or comment on behalf of sov...but i will say im having a good time in low sec... So , if you don't like sov and you can't adapt why not just do what Black Legion did and move to low sec...dunno why there must be so much rage.

You make it sound like Brack Region evaccing to low-sec was their choice.

They're in the process of imploding.

#didntwantfountainanyway

Follow me on Twitter for literally no good reason @TheUltim8Evil

Sobaan Tali
Caldari Quick Reaction Force
#26 - 2015-09-11 02:07:10 UTC
Haters gonna hate. I'm just as guilty of bad mouthing them perhaps too often, but they have done an incredible job thus far, and am thankful they continue to give tacit and uncompromising effort to bettering this game with each passing patch notes.

In the heat of the moment, it's far easier to point out everything wrong with Eve and why "CCP has f'ed it up again," but when you really think about it, Fozzie and the rest of our CCP masterminds have let no one down. The game changes, and unfortunately, friction from those who have been around long enough to get use to the current system will groan and act spiteful when they must relearn it all over again, but that's just the nature of the beast. Again, just easier to blame them for what's not working perfectly than to thank them for what does work perfectly. Think about it, why would any of us still be around if we did not have some reason to play this game still? I certainly would have left a long time ago if I wasn't still having fun.

"Tomahawks?"

"----in' A, right?"

"Trouble is, those things cost like a million and a half each."

"----, you pay me half that and I'll hump in some c4 and blow the ---- out of it my own damn self."

45thtiger 0109
Pan-Intergalatic Business Community
#27 - 2015-09-11 02:47:03 UTC
There is nothing wrong with EvE.

There is nothing wrong with CCP

There is nothing wrong with FOZZIE SOV

There is nothing wrong with the CSM

There is nothing wrong with me because I like to play EvE as it is, and when we have a new patch changes the game I go with the changes.

Why argue people just let CCP do their job which they are great at it.

We all should have a positive mindset and enjoy EvE the way it is meant to be played and stop winging and whining and just play the game as is.

**You Have to take the good with the bad and the bad with the good.

Welcome to EvE OnLiNe**

Webvan
All Kill No Skill
#28 - 2015-09-11 03:48:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Webvan
45thtiger 0109 wrote:
There is nothing wrong with EvE.

There is nothing wrong with CCP

There is nothing wrong with FOZZIE SOV

There is nothing wrong with the CSM

There is nothing wrong with me because I like to play EvE as it is, and when we have a new patch changes the game I go with the changes.

Why argue people just let CCP do their job which they are great at it.

We all should have a positive mindset and enjoy EvE the way it is meant to be played and stop winging and whining and just play the game as is.

Relevant
uh-huh Bear

Just saying, because I may agree or disagree with things CCP has done, as others have vocalized too, and as CCP has invited some level of healthy criticism, but I've never called for any CCP devs to step down or be replaced haha
Lets just stick to the sincerity, and not beat one another up (the community) for criticisms, it can be a healthy thing.

I'm in it for the money

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F12

Jenshae Chiroptera
#29 - 2015-09-11 05:43:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenshae Chiroptera
Amarisen Gream wrote:
... - people hate drastic change, ...
Quote:
I hate change.
I love improvement.

Fozzie SOV is a poor, shallow and dumbed down design at the core:

• Waving a mining laser at structures is not satisfying.
  • You are unable to gear your ship to wave the wand faster for attack or defense
  • There is no real fleet impact, no real cost to benefit considerations.
  • Camping a gate while interceptors mess about is boring.
  • Those 100 people grinding a structure might have been bored but they provided an opportunity for combat.
  • Fozzie SOV is a griefer's paradise. "Who has the will to troll for SOV the longest?" (If they want the SOV and aren't just doing it for "lulz").

This sort of thing was apparent from the first dev blog and has not changed.

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Philip Ogtaulmolfi
We are not bad. Just unlucky
#30 - 2015-09-11 07:41:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Philip Ogtaulmolfi
The mechanic of Fozziesov is not the magic wand, as there are a lot of people saying frequently trying to make it real. The conquest mechanic is "Effective grid control". The one man doing the entosing is irrelevant until you have grid control.

What wins the battle is the fleet supporting the one man entosing. Of course, if nobody shows up, this fleet can be a single ship, the one with the magic wand.

For me, 100 people or more shooting a POS is not different from camping a gate while 5 people use the wand. Both activities are equally boring, unless the enemy comes to fight you. And yes, I don't care about POS killmails.

The big fights will come when people is willing to fight. Nobody will conquest the Capital of any of the great Alliances without a fleet of several hundreds with capital support and extensive support.

Equally, nobody is going to conquest a single CORE system of any alliance of some size with a single interceptor.

Trollceptors will be a no factor as soon as people stops defending systems they dont live in. In your own system, the troll is the defender, that in a few minutes can disrupt a whole hour of work of a trollceptor.

The real problem is that a lot of people needs a reason to fight, and thats what the current system is failling to provide. Unless you like PVP for the sake of it, there is no reason to attack anybody, and it is safer to do nothing and get bored to death.
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#31 - 2015-09-11 08:24:39 UTC
Jenshae Chiroptera wrote:
Amarisen Gream wrote:
... - people hate drastic change, ...
Quote:
I hate change.
I love improvement.

Fozzie SOV is a poor, shallow and dumbed down design at the core:

• Waving a mining laser at structures is not satisfying.
  • You are unable to gear your ship to wave the wand faster for attack or defense
  • There is no real fleet impact, no real cost to benefit considerations.
  • Camping a gate while interceptors mess about is boring.
  • Those 100 people grinding a structure might have been bored but they provided an opportunity for combat.
  • Fozzie SOV is a griefer's paradise. "Who has the will to troll for SOV the longest?" (If they want the SOV and aren't just doing it for "lulz").

This sort of thing was apparent from the first dev blog and has not changed.

One issue with the entosis mechanic is that it looks good only by contrast to the old system.

The old system was bad, the current is less bad... but that doesn't makes it good. Press button, dismantle structure is silly. No matter how difficult you make it, it still is a version of capturing the flag. That's a nice mechanic for fast-paced PvP where nothing is lost permanently, yet it becomes quite a weird thing when losses are permanent and a "match" may take a couple of hours.

I don't know how to make it better. The old Sov system used HPs as timers: it takes n time to grind HP so the defender can defend and a fight occurs). That interacted poorly with max-DPS ships (supercapitals) and permanent healing spells (logistics).

Now HP are off the table and what matters is "being there" to press a button when somebody else presses a button, in the best style of the most useless machine.

Picture Sid Meyer saying "games must be fun to play, easy to learn and hard to master".

Pressing a swtich on until someone switches it off is fun? Waiting for 50 minutes until the switch is pressed is fun? Betting your assets to the certainty of pressing a switch off whenever is switched on is fun?

It is poor game design. It is better than deplete a HP wall for hours, but nonetheless it's a unfun mechanic in itself. And the system built on it is appalingly unattractive.

Ideally the "press a button" should be an excuse to pew pew each other, but that isn't happening.

I don't know how to fix this mess. My opinion is that all PvP content dies eventually and nullsec is dead and can't be ressurrected. As I said some months ago, sports where the person competes against himself are way more popular than sports where a person competes against others. There's only one winner in speed races, but everyone is a winner in a marathon. So games based on determining a sole winner fade sooner or later.

EVE nullsec is a game where everybody tries and the Goons always win. Congratulations, the winner of EVE has been determined. But now nobody can un-win nullsec and as long as the Goons want it, nullsec will be theirs for whatever they do with it.

As a consequence, Nullsec is dead. It's been dead for a while, and it can't be ressurrected. Maybe it could be transformed into something else. But the age of empire building in null is gone.

And what's left of EVE if you aren't building a empire in null?

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

Philip Ogtaulmolfi
#32 - 2015-09-11 09:56:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Philip Ogtaulmolfi
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:

And what's left of EVE if you aren't building a empire in null?

I think we will have to ask to those 130+ alliances that still live in null that probably never thought about resurecting the Roman Empire in Null.

And that's only the ones with TCUs. And small alliance nowadays is better off wjust with the iHub.
Deck Cadelanne
CAStabouts
#33 - 2015-09-11 10:10:11 UTC
Philip Ogtaulmolfi wrote:
The mechanic of Fozziesov is not the magic wand, as there are a lot of people saying frequently triìying to make it real. The conquest mechanic is "Effective grid control". The one man doing the entosing is irrelevant until you have grid control.

What wins the battle is the fleet supporting the one man entosing. Of course, if nobody shows up, this fleet can be a single ship, the one with the magic wand.

For me, 100 people or more shooting a POS is not different from camping a gate while 5 people use the wand. Both activities are equally boring, unless the enemy comes to fight you. And yes, I don't care about POS killmails.

The big fights will come when people is willing to fight. Nobody will conquest the Capital of any of the great Alliances without a fleet of several hundreds with capital support and extensive support.

Equally, nobody is going to conquest a single CORE system of any alliance of some size with a single interceptor.

Trollceptors will be a no factor as soon as people stops defending systems they dont live in. In your own system, the troll is the defender, that in a few minutes can disrupt a whole hour of work of a trollceptor.

The real problem is that a lot of people needs a reason to fight, and thats what the current system is failling to provide. Unless you like PVP for the sake of it, there is no reason to attack anybody, and it is safer to do nothing and get bored to death.

I think there's a lot of truth to what you are saying.

The folks whining about "trollceptors" are the same ones who don't think they should actually have to play the game or be present to exert control when it comes to sov. Hence the whining.

Our happy little mob managed to take sov for a little while as a side-project. Mostly, we wanted to see how it would work. How? Nobody showed up to stop us. Then we managed to hold it for a while. How? Nobody showed up to stop us. When somebody finally got serious about it, they took it off us.

Not perfect by any stretch but frankly, based on everything I read in the dev blogs, it looks like that's the way it is designed to work. Creating incentives for the big fights will hinge on there being something worth fighting for. Perhaps we ought to be looking with interest to what is still to come.

Perhaps all the complaints are basically "Boo CCP I can't play the way I want to" and the complainers simply can't or won't make the effort to adapt.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn professional."

- Hunter S. Thompson

Philip Ogtaulmolfi
#34 - 2015-09-11 10:25:57 UTC
Deck Cadelanne wrote:
Our happy little mob managed to take sov for a little while as a side-project. Mostly, we wanted to see how it would work. How? Nobody showed up to stop us. Then we managed to hold it for a while. How? Nobody showed up to stop us. When somebody finally got serious about it, they took it off us..

Yea, thats probably the way to go for small Alliances. Find your corner, plant your iHub, make money and build your military might while nobody notices you are there and, when the enemy comes, fight for your life with all you have and have fun until you are completely destroyed.

Rinse and repeat.

What will make the system succesful is if you are able to gather enough resources before the war comes to make the fights fun. That's the way it works in plenty of strategy games, that is what Sov tries to be.

Eternal Bob
Doomheim
#35 - 2015-09-11 10:41:36 UTC
Is there a summary for those of us who don't want to provide that website with traffic?

Biomassing to free a char slot.

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#36 - 2015-09-11 11:33:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
Deck Cadelanne wrote:
Our happy little mob managed to take sov for a little while as a side-project. Mostly, we wanted to see how it would work. How? Nobody showed up to stop us. Then we managed to hold it for a while. How? Nobody showed up to stop us. When somebody finally got serious about it, they took it off us..

Yea, thats probably the way to go for small Alliances. Find your corner, plant your iHub, make money and build your military might while nobody notices you are there and, when the enemy comes, fight for your life with all you have and have fun until you are completely destroyed.

Rinse and repeat.

What will make the system succesful is if you are able to gather enough resources before the war comes to make the fights fun. That's the way it works in plenty of strategy games, that is what Sov tries to be.

Wow, that's a nice proposal. Setup sov, fight for it, lose it, setup Sov, fight for it, lose it again, setup Sov, fight for it, lose it again, setup Sov, fight for it, lose it again... sounds fun. Roll

Tank Murdock Jnr
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#37 - 2015-09-11 11:40:32 UTC
Wow, that's a nice proposal. Setup sov, fight for it, lose it, setup Sov, fight for it, lose it again, setup Sov, fight for it, lose it again, setup Sov, fight for it, lose it again... sound fun. Roll

As opposed to what?

Setup sov, rat, rat, rat, rat, rat, rat, rat, dockup because lone intruder, rat, rat, rat...sounds fun. Roll

When a person is insane, as you clearly are, do you know that you're insane? Maybe you're just sitting around, reading 'Guns and Ammo', masturbating in your own faeces...do you just stop and go, 'Wow! It is amazing how f*cking crazy I really am!'?

Ghyl Taarvoke
Doomheim
#38 - 2015-09-11 11:48:26 UTC
Deck Cadelanne wrote:

Rinse and repeat.

Wow, that's a nice proposal. Setup sov, fight for it, lose it, setup Sov, fight for it, lose it again, setup Sov, fight for it, lose it again, setup Sov, fight for it, lose it again... sounds fun. Roll

But that's the game.
Amber Starview
Doomheim
#39 - 2015-09-11 11:50:19 UTC
Sov before was boring ....players had the chance to change this but most stayed blue and chose safety and ISk over content , I respect ccp for actually doing something drastic and attempting to shake things up ,hopefully it works and I am willing to at least give them some time to implement it like they want .

The best thing is listening to the tears of alliance leaders with billions and billions in assets and fleets at their disposal complain that Eve is too hard now .
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#40 - 2015-09-11 11:51:16 UTC
Tank Murdock Jnr wrote:
Wow, that's a nice proposal. Setup sov, fight for it, lose it, setup Sov, fight for it, lose it again, setup Sov, fight for it, lose it again, setup Sov, fight for it, lose it again... sound fun. Roll

As opposed to what?

Setup sov, rat, rat, rat, rat, rat, rat, rat, dockup because lone intruder, rat, rat, rat...sounds fun. Roll

Oh, I have my own ideas about high sec PvE. But I've never cared about nullsec, since "building a empire" is to me even less attractive than "earn lots of ISK". Lol