These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Mission pocket size and MJD

Author
Akira Kata
AkiCo LLC
#1 - 2015-09-06 15:53:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Akira Kata
Nearly lost a Domi when using MJD resulted in the ship turning around 180 degrees, and landing in the midst of scramming rats. This occurred in the 2nd pocket of The Assault, and is the second time I've experienced this.

I'd already used the MJD once from the jump-in point to create distance for sentries, and that worked fine. Attempted to jump again in the same direction of travel as the original jump when my ship turned around on its own and almost self-ganked (2% hull).

Is this phenomenon due to a size limitation of mission pockets, an MJD bug, or just Karma for all the mean things I've done in EVE and IRL?
Forum Toon
Doomheim
#2 - 2015-09-06 15:59:49 UTC
Guristas?

The assault with guristas i PITA and I refuse to do it whenever I can.
they spawn all over the place with 200km missile range and **** load of EWAR ships... too much effort for my liking.

and regarding your question I think it's karma.
try to sacrifice a shuttle to the rng gods.
Donnachadh
United Allegiance of Undesirables
#3 - 2015-09-06 16:00:13 UTC
My vote is karma for all the mean thingsBig smile

I rarely use an MJD so I have no real experience to fall back on but it seems that you may have run into a bug.
I suggest you submit a report on it and then let us know what CCP says. In the mean time I would suggest that you do not try the double tap on the MJD again one of these days you will not be so lucky.

Or you can simply switch to a closer range style and then you will never run into this problem. A Rattle is excellent for this since you are a drones pilot.
Akira Kata
AkiCo LLC
#4 - 2015-09-06 16:59:51 UTC
@Forum- Serpentis, actually- so usually routine slaughter (like hunting in a petting zoo). I know what you mean about Gurista version- way unbalanced IMO.

@Donnachadh- I'll see what CCP says (or doesn't say).

Thanks to both!
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#5 - 2015-09-06 19:42:19 UTC
Forum Toon wrote:
Guristas?

The assault with guristas i PITA and I refuse to do it whenever I can.
they spawn all over the place with 200km missile range and **** load of EWAR ships... too much effort for my liking.

and regarding your question I think it's karma.
try to sacrifice a shuttle to the rng gods.

its one of the easiest missions done right.

1. the gate isn't locked, you don't have to kill anything in the first room
2. a mjd puts you right in the middle of the group by the station in the second room
3. you only have to kill that group to finish the mission.

shouldn't take more than 10 mins, and that is being generous. 2 bs, 3 bc, 3 destroyers. don't even have to kill the elite frigs.

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#6 - 2015-09-06 19:43:18 UTC
Akira Kata wrote:
Nearly lost a Domi when using MJD resulted in the ship turning around 180 degrees, and landing in the midst of scramming rats. This occurred in the 2nd pocket of The Assault, and is the second time I've experienced this.

I'd already used the MJD once from the jump-in point to create distance for sentries, and that worked fine. Attempted to jump again in the same direction of travel as the original jump when my ship turned around on its own and almost self-ganked (2% hull).

Is this phenomenon due to a size limitation of mission pockets, an MJD bug, or just Karma for all the mean things I've done in EVE and IRL?

sounds like you are bumping off something, or just weren't paying attention to the direction you were facing.

Akira Kata
AkiCo LLC
#7 - 2015-09-06 20:03:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Akira Kata
@Chainsaw- There was nothing in front of the ship- no structures, wrecks, nothing- so it should have been a fairly straightforward action (literally). I activated the MJD and the ship inexplicable turned about face before jumping.
Sobaan Tali
Caldari Quick Reaction Force
#8 - 2015-09-06 20:58:59 UTC
Only thing I can think of is that if you are on approach with something like an MTU or BM, your ship will eventually, slowly, poke too far past it and your ship will make a sudden about-face in place when it realizes it has floated past the object or location instead of coming to a complete stop like it should. Bad timing can cause that to be a headache in your case. Slower ships without a prop mod going tend to take longer to do this, but they WILL eventually do this at least once if you let them.

Reminds me of when I use to fly a Tengu, I almost biffed it once and a pocket of neuting Blood cruisers nearly ate my ship. I had set orbit on a cathedral structure in the middle of the pocket and was busy knocking out the web towers while the swarm of cruisers too slow to overtake me formed a cloud of unhappiness behind me. When I turned my prop mod off to avoid getting to close to one of the web towers I hadn't killed yet, my ship literally stopped, turned around, and blindly faced the hoard of hunger hippos lagging behind. It wasn't until I realized that my tank had shut down and that I was completely cap dead that something was a miss. Nearly cost me a small fortune in ship and fit back in those days for that mistake. I swear that autopilot controls are just there to bamboozle you rather than be helpful.

"Tomahawks?"

"----in' A, right?"

"Trouble is, those things cost like a million and a half each."

"----, you pay me half that and I'll hump in some c4 and blow the ---- out of it my own damn self."

Akira Kata
AkiCo LLC
#9 - 2015-09-06 21:12:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Akira Kata
@Sobaan- I know what you're referring to, but I was at a dead stop, parked with sentries out. I activated the MJD because the rats were getting close enough to do damage...
Sobaan Tali
Caldari Quick Reaction Force
#10 - 2015-09-06 21:32:27 UTC
Akira Kata wrote:
@Sobaan- I know what you're referring to, but I was at a dead stop, parked with sentries out. I activated the MJD because the rats were getting close enough to do damage... I

Worth mentioning, but if that's not it, then it beats the hell out of me. With how much code there is in Eve (and how much of a nightmarish mess it must be in paces), it's a wonder we don't see even more strange and inexplicable phenomena in our everyday pod lives. Either way, good luck and hope you and your Domi continues to fly safe.

"Tomahawks?"

"----in' A, right?"

"Trouble is, those things cost like a million and a half each."

"----, you pay me half that and I'll hump in some c4 and blow the ---- out of it my own damn self."

Akira Kata
AkiCo LLC
#11 - 2015-09-06 22:26:45 UTC
@Sobaan- thanks! I don't mind (too much) losing ships to my own mistakes, but having a bug cost me is not ok.
Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2015-09-06 23:25:44 UTC
Akira Kata wrote:
@Sobaan- I know what you're referring to, but I was at a dead stop, parked with sentries out. I activated the MJD because the rats were getting close enough to do damage...

There is your problem right there. When at a dead stop you do not stay aligned your ship sort of settles back to a default facing horizontal to the default view it does not say facing the way you last moved.

Always align the way you want to jump before hitting MJD.
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#13 - 2015-09-07 01:50:25 UTC
Hasikan Miallok wrote:
Akira Kata wrote:

There is your problem right there. When at a dead stop you do not stay aligned your ship sort of settles back to a default facing horizontal to the default view it does not say facing the way you last moved.

Always align the way you want to jump before hitting MJD.

that's my next best guess. ctrl spacing and sitting still then using a mjd just sounds like a bad time to me.

Arthur Aihaken
CODE.d
#14 - 2015-09-07 04:25:48 UTC
Akira Kata wrote:

I assume that the rats put you to 2% hull and not the MJD itself?

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Estella Osoka
Cranky Bitches Who PMS
#15 - 2015-09-07 04:39:31 UTC
Akira Kata wrote:

When not moving, the direction the MJD takes you is random.
Akira Kata
AkiCo LLC
#16 - 2015-09-07 05:36:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Akira Kata
Aha- so always be moving in desired direction before hitting the MJD. I'd have never guessed. Why the random vector from a standing start? Spite? Big smile To be clear, I was facing where I wanted to go but was not moving. After the MJD started to spool-up, the ship actually turned around 180 degrees- while I watched in horror- before jumping.

@Arthur, yes was the rats that chewed me down to a nub, and not the MJD. Now that would have been a real bug... hit the MJD and BLAM!!! you're down to 2% hull. Kinda like Takata airbag activators that sometimes double as shrapnel grenades.

Thanks all! Appreciate the insights.
Hasikan Miallok
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#17 - 2015-09-07 06:07:36 UTC
Akira Kata wrote:
Why the random vector from a standing start? Spite? Big smile To be clear, I was facing where I wanted to go but was not moving..

When stationary the game treats your ship as basically spherical with no up down left right and no specific direction it is aligned to. The graphical representation is irrelevant.

As to exactly the how the game determines which way you jump from stationary its probably not literally random but as there is no way of knowing which way you will jump it may as well be.
nahjustwarpin
SUPER DUPER SPACE TRUCKS
#18 - 2015-09-07 07:02:03 UTC  |  Edited by: nahjustwarpin
Akira Kata wrote:
Aha- so always be moving in desired direction before hitting the MJD. I'd have never guessed. Why the random vector from a standing start? Spite? Big smile To be clear, I was facing where I wanted to go but was not moving. After the MJD started to spool-up, the ship actually turned around 180 degrees- while I watched in horror- before jumping.

@Arthur, yes was the rats that chewed me down to a nub, and not the MJD. Now that would have been a real bug... hit the MJD and BLAM!!! you're down to 2% hull. Kinda like Takata airbag activators that sometimes double as shrapnel grenades.

Thanks all! Appreciate the insights.

After landing you probably aligned where you wanted to but there was LCO or some asteroid in your way. Stopping your ship and activating lmjd forces your ship into full speed.
Akira Kata
AkiCo LLC
#19 - 2015-09-07 14:02:59 UTC
Hasikan Miallok wrote:
Akira Kata wrote:
Why the random vector from a standing start? Spite? Big smile To be clear, I was facing where I wanted to go but was not moving..

When stationary the game treats your ship as basically spherical with no up down left right and no specific direction it is aligned to. The graphical representation is irrelevant.

As to exactly the how the game determines which way you jump from stationary its probably not literally random but as there is no way of knowing which way you will jump it may as well be.

Thank you for the technical explanation, Hasikan. I'm always curious about the why part.
Mr Mac
Dark Goliath
#20 - 2015-09-07 18:02:11 UTC
It happened to me when I MJD before align.
12Next page