These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dominix Gurista Anom

Author
William Buelle
Planets Don't Orbit...
#1 - 2015-09-05 21:22:47 UTC
So I recently moved out to gurista null and have been trying my hand at running forsaken hubs. Usually I armor tank, but wanted to try my hand at active shield tanking so I could squeeze some more dps out of my ship. My problem is that I don't have enough cap to keep my tank running. Below is my current fit,

Highs:
5x Neutron Blaster Cannon II - Void

Mids:
Pith A-Type Thermic Dissipation Field
Pith B-Type Kinetic Dissipation Field
Pith X-Type X-Large Shield Booster
100mn Afterburner II
Omnidirectional Tracking Link II (going to try switching it for Cap Recharger II)

Lows:
3x DDA II
3x Gyrostabs II
Damage Control II

Rigs:
2x Large Processor Overclocking Unit
Large Capacitor Control Circuit

Drones:
5x Gardes II
5x Hobgoblin II
Random others

Any suggestions on what I might do to improve the fit to make it either more cap stable or stronger tank? I don't mind a little shiney, but I'd rather not go crazy (this is a domi afterall P ) I'm hoping to upgrade to a rattler after I get better missile skills, but in the mean time I was hoping to make use of a domi.

Do you think I'd be better off armor tanking? If so, any suggested fits? As is I'm getting just over 1k dps (which is great), but not enough gank to act as the sole tank P
Bumblefck
Kerensky Initiatives
#2 - 2015-09-05 21:48:28 UTC
Cap booster or XLASB I'd think

Perfection is a dish best served like wasabi .

Bumble's Space Log

The Bigpuns
United Standings Improvement Agency
#3 - 2015-09-05 22:13:15 UTC
Is blasters the best thing here? Should it not be wardens and rails? Deeps goes down, but at least you got range...
William Buelle
Planets Don't Orbit...
#4 - 2015-09-05 22:24:15 UTC
The way I'm doing it is warping at 0, kill something as I move in, and move on to the wreck so that everything spawns within ~3k of me. That way everything stays within blaster/garde range. I thought about range tanking it, but in the past I've noticed that guristas tend to have missiles that reach crazy far out, plus the dps would be much lower at that range.
Moor Deybe
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#5 - 2015-09-06 01:36:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Moor Deybe
Interesting....your initial fit did read like you were warping in at 0, hence the Gardes as Wardens just wouldn't track at those distances, so although kinetic should be fired at Guristas, going for max DPS with thermal Gardes is the next best option with regard to sentries.
Damage types / resists

As bumblefck suggested, Ancillary Shield Booster and cap booster charges are probably your best option. You're not going to get enough cap otherwise without compromising everything else.

Seeing as you have the Pith hardeners already, the following will give you a 894 HP/s against a Guristas profile in pyfa compared to your current 970 HP/s. So if you find that shield boost ample, and its just the cap thats an issue, then that should be worth trying out.

I'm assuming the mention of Gyrostabilizers was a typo as they're for projectiles.

[Dominix, Point blank]

Drone Damage Amplifier II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
Damage Control II

Pith B-Type Kinetic Deflection Field
Pith A-Type Thermic Dissipation Field
Shield Boost Amplifier II
Large Ancillary Shield Booster, Cap Booster 150
100MN Afterburner II

Neutron Blaster Cannon II, Void L

Large Anti-Thermal Screen Reinforcer I
Large Core Defense Operational Solidifier I
Large Anti-Kinetic Screen Reinforcer II

Wasp II x5
Garde II x5
Vespa II x5
Hornet II x5
Warrior II x5

Zainou 'Gypsy' CPU Management EE-601

Your fit shows as 1.48% over on CPU in pyfa, although it can differ from ingame stats by very tiny amounts sometimes, I'm assuming you're possible using a CPU implant. The fit above is 0.13% (assuming max relevant skills) so I put the EE-601 in there also, but you could easily drop the afterburner for a lower CPU equivalent if its an issue.

When I used to rat in a Domi I was in the Dronelands so was using Curators which have nice range and DPS. Personally I think the Wardens after the sentry rebalance a while back, although they allow long range sniper fits, are now too weak for effective PVE. IMHO. Sad

If you want to try it then the following will give you ~581DPS out to the Wardens optimal of 146km, which might be out of Guristas missile ranges (never ratted in Guristas space), but if you're used to circa 1,000DPS (albeit not all kinetic), I think you'd find it tedious.

[Dominix, Sniper]

Damage Control II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
Large Armor Repairer II

500MN Microwarpdrive II
Omnidirectional Tracking Link II, Optimal Range Script
Omnidirectional Tracking Link II, Optimal Range Script
Large Micro Jump Drive
Sensor Booster II, Targeting Range Script

Drone Link Augmentor II
Drone Link Augmentor II
Drone Link Augmentor II
Drone Link Augmentor II
[Empty High slot]
[Empty High slot]

Large Drone Scope Chip I
Large Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Large Ionic Field Projector I

Garde II x5
Curator II x5
Warden II x5
Bouncer II x5
Wasp II x5

I eventually trained up a 2nd character and went for a armour RR setup using drone assist and a target painter which I found very successful against Drone Hordes at the time and made me billions of ISK.

It was a long train for that 2nd character, so I used it to fly an Osprey while it was training, to provide shield logi from about 90km away which worked surprisingly well. P

I'd recommend training for heavy drones i.e. WASP IIs as you'll be hitting with kinetic then and you will be surprised by the difference compared to the GardeBig smile

Longer term, I'd consider the Ishtar with WASPS as it has a naturally high kinetic resistance and you can just speed tank with a 20M tick being easily achievable. (at least in the Serpentis Forsaken Hub which shouldn't be too dissimilar) Ask your corp mates what they get as a comparison with the Cruise missile Rattlesnake.

Make use of the test server, have fun.

HTH
Tiddle Jr
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2015-09-06 03:24:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Tiddle Jr
Hello my young friend.

First of all i would recommend you to change standard Domi to Navy ones. Thus would increase your overall performance. Instead of blasters you better switch to rails. And why the hell you did use gyros with blasters?!

"The message is that there are known knowns. There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know" - CCP

Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2015-09-06 13:17:35 UTC
If you're going into the middle of them to brawl, domi might not be the ship you want.

That said you can still snipe at range against guristas as they shoot half missiles half railguns from what I've experienced.
William Buelle
Planets Don't Orbit...
#8 - 2015-09-06 17:17:41 UTC
Thanks for all the help so far!

Wow is that ever embarrassing, I did have gyrostabs fitted instead of magstabs... Had them sitting in my hangar and fit them without thinking, woops Oops Raises my DPS up to 1250 once I replace them, so that's good Big smile

I was thinking about the navy issue, however it has lower cap to begin with, so thinking it might aggravate the already existing problem. That said it does have more shield and dps, so maybe that would make up for it?

For the ancillary, I've never been a fan of using cap boosters for pve simply because it's an extra cost, and it takes up space that I could shove more ammo into. Do you think it's worth it? I havn't experimented with the ancillary at all, so I might give it a try.

I had thought about using heavies, but was concerned about travel time. I guess that since I'm in the middle of the group anyway the travel time would be negligible compared to the increased dps. I'll have to try that out and see how well it works.

Thanks again, now I have more stuff to try out and think about Big smile
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2015-09-06 17:27:26 UTC
If you're going to jump into the middle of an anom, I would suggest rattlesnake instead.
William Buelle
Planets Don't Orbit...
#10 - 2015-09-06 17:48:14 UTC
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
If you're going to jump into the middle of an anom, I would suggest rattlesnake instead.

Yep planning on switching over to a rattlesnake as soon as I get my missile skills up some Smile
Moor Deybe
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#11 - 2015-09-06 23:23:03 UTC
William Buelle wrote:
Thanks for all the help so far!

Wow is that ever embarrassing, I did have gyrostabs fitted instead of magstabs... Had them sitting in my hangar and fit them without thinking, woops Oops Raises my DPS up to 1250 once I replace them, so that's good Big smile

I was thinking about the navy issue, however it has lower cap to begin with, so thinking it might aggravate the already existing problem. That said it does have more shield and dps, so maybe that would make up for it?

For the ancillary, I've never been a fan of using cap boosters for pve simply because it's an extra cost, and it takes up space that I could shove more ammo into. Do you think it's worth it? I havn't experimented with the ancillary at all, so I might give it a try.

I had thought about using heavies, but was concerned about travel time. I guess that since I'm in the middle of the group anyway the travel time would be negligible compared to the increased dps. I'll have to try that out and see how well it works.

Thanks again, now I have more stuff to try out and think about Big smile
I could never get the Dominix Navy Issue to work personally, not with the skills I had at the time. The hull alone will set up back 500+M ISK, so if you want to experiment with that then set yourself up on the test server where everything is 100 ISK Singularity
Test server rules (combat by consent only)
Copy your skills to test server
If you need ISK on there, buy yourself a T1 battleship (100 ISK Smile) insure it, undock and self destruct...........collect insurance Big smile

I've never tried cap boosters, but you're right they do take up space and they will obviously cut your ISK profit down, maybe salvaging afterwards i.e. drop a mobile tractor unit when done and go around with a Noctis later to scoop up / salvage the wrecks may offset the cost.
I usually pull 6-10M in salvage out of a Forsaken Hub.

Heavies can be slow, although with a Drone Navigation Computer II can help, although that would take away a midslot from your tank!. They do come into their own when on a bonused hull like the Ishtar where they can reach over 8,000m/s (with the Drone Navigation Computer) and have tracking bonuses.

I can't say how a rattlesnake would do in a Forsaken hub or higher, but an Ishtar does fine either at 0 or speed tanking at range. If at 0 you just need to kill the frigs, cruisers and then orbit the nearest battleship at under 10km to stay under their guns.

Have fun
Mephiztopheleze
Laphroaig Inc.
#12 - 2015-09-06 23:53:36 UTC
100MN AB, Passive Vexor Navy Issue.

Highs: 1x Drone Link Augmenter.
Mids: 100mn AB, 2x Large Shield Extender II, Drone Nav Comp.
Lows: 4x Drone Damage Amps, 2x Power Diagnostic Systems.

Rigs: 2x Thermal, 1x Kinetic shield resist rigs (for Gurista).

Drones: Caldari Navy Wasps (or T2 Wasps).

Occasional Resident Newbie Correspondent for TMC: http://themittani.com/search/site/mephiztopheleze

This is my Forum Main. My Combat Alt is sambo Inkura

Celthric Kanerian
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#13 - 2015-09-10 10:22:47 UTC
If you're going to use blasters, you could as well use Heavy Drones or Gecko's instead of sentries.
Anize Oramara
WarpTooZero
#14 - 2015-09-10 11:27:13 UTC
Yea, you're going to love the rattler when you get it. 2 super tanked heavy drones (or a HACgecko) and Cruises are going to give you a lot of dps and the rattler is crazy tanky as is.

A guide (Google Doc) to Hi-Sec blitzing and breaking the 200mill ISK/H barrier v1.2.3