These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

T3 Tactical Destroyers in PvE: which, where and how

Author
Jarsoom Blade
Blade's Legion
#1 - 2015-08-31 20:04:19 UTC
Hi all.

Since the training time for a T3D is really short, and they look to be very promising in solo PvP and PvE, I want to train into one. I'm currently training for the Jackdaw (missiles are my best trained weapon system), and the Svipul on a mission running alt. But truth be told I don't really know what the T3D's can do in PvE. Could you guys enlighten me?

I'd like to know which T3D is good in what kind of PvE, and how to fit them for it.
Do I go long range or brawling? Active tank or buffer? Which DED sites can I do? What level mission can a T3D handle?

I've read up on all four T3D's and I've mostly read people saying the Svipul is 'basically the best' T3D. The Confessor is 'awesome', the Jackdaw is 'bad' and about the Hecate I haven't really seen anything about besides the damage being good, apparantly. Now, this is all personal opinion I assume. But it makes me think about which T3D is best suited for what I want to do and keeping in mind the training of support skills for other less-developed weapon systems (for example, lasers, on this char).

Thanks for taking the time to reply o7

"Two things I've learned lately. One: don't get jammed. And two: stationary ships don't react well to 1400's" - John Rourke, Clear Skies 2

Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#2 - 2015-08-31 22:30:18 UTC
I was going to try some confessor lv3 blitzing a while back, but got bored after the first one. It works but meh. I probably wouldn't use them past lv2s. IMO for pve killspeed is the main thing that matters.

given the nice reduction in probe cpu use you can get an expanded probe launcher on there no problem, and a compact one fits almost free. I would expect them to be pretty good at running most exploration sites.

Svipul isn't something I've had a chance to fly in any capacity yet, but people seem to love zipping around in them.
hecate Short range has a ton of damage, but I think it is too vunerable to getting kited or neuted, long range looks pretty similar to a confessor, maybe a little worse
confessor looks pretty awesome, look like there are a lot of viable fits. my pve one was mostly damage focused with an active tank.
jackdaw, felt underwhelming, but I think most of that was due to missile travel time. they seemed reasonably popular in the AT, the lml get a ton of range and pretty good volley damage. I would expect it to feel better in pve.

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2015-09-01 00:07:21 UTC
jackdaw is just like a small caracal, fit it with light missiles and a shield booster and you can do level 4 missions and probably 4/10 DEDs
Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2015-09-01 01:17:39 UTC
Hecate can do almost any high sec exploration site. Some of the higher rated ones need some creative flying but are doable.

If you don't follow the rules, neither will I.

Jarsoom Blade
Blade's Legion
#5 - 2015-09-01 08:59:58 UTC
Thanks for commenting!
Yesterday I acually quickly changed from training Caldari Destroyer to Amarr Destroyer. Shooting lasers (in a really cool looking hull) instead of missiles after all this time is something I'm really looking forward to. Despite having to pauze my training for a last few skills to V for an optimized Tengu :')

For PvE in the Confessor, is one Small Armor Repairer II enough for 4/10 and certain WH's? I'm not familiar enough with active armor tanking coming from ASB's/shields, and also totally unfamiliar with WH PvE to be honest. But I've seen fits with one repper, DC II and two armor resist modules.

Also, what are the positives/negatives for armor and shield tanked Svipul? My mission running alt on which I'm training for the Svipul is also shield trained.

"Two things I've learned lately. One: don't get jammed. And two: stationary ships don't react well to 1400's" - John Rourke, Clear Skies 2

Elinara Yamamoto
Latex Entosis
Insignificant Others
#6 - 2015-09-01 09:34:53 UTC
Confessor is about the best ship I have ever done the Epic Arc in! Love the ship, fly it in small gangs a lot too.
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2015-09-01 10:07:12 UTC
Thing about the confessor is the lack of damage selection but it shouldn't hold you back too much.

If you can fly correctly and get good transversal on larger targets the t2 armour repper should be fine. For wormholes I guess you'd be able to solo C2 sites with close to maxed skills.
ChromeStriker
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2015-09-01 10:21:38 UTC
T3 master race -_-

No Worries

Jarsoom Blade
Blade's Legion
#9 - 2015-09-01 11:38:09 UTC
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
Thing about the confessor is the lack of damage selection but it shouldn't hold you back too much

Yeah I was thinking that aswell. Would have to look for specific rats which isn't a problem, been doing that flying other ships aswell. Might be nice, see some new sights other than the cold blue/grayness of Caldari space or the rusted skies of Minmatar all the time :P

Only thing worth mentioning that could be troublesome is an unoptimized fit, mainly missing a T2 armor tank. T2 lasers I'll have in 3+ days with already decent gunnery support skills trained, but the Hull Upgrades V of 9+ days of training I'm not looking forward to :P would it be a big issue if i meta an energized adaptive nano membrane?

Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2015-09-01 12:36:37 UTC
I would say give it a try and just warp out if needed. Then you'll know whether or not it's possible with your current skillset.

Jarsoom Blade
Blade's Legion
#11 - 2015-09-01 15:27:23 UTC
Fair advice, thanks :P

Anyone any thoughts on the positives and negatives on fitting an armor tanked Svipul against a shield tanked Svipul?

Caligula Gaius Claudian
The Wrong Turn
Dracarys.
#12 - 2015-09-02 00:17:48 UTC
Confessor here. Lvl2 and Epic Arcs. Then would try it in lvl3.
Uriam Khanid
New Machinarium Corporation
#13 - 2015-09-02 06:22:39 UTC
after some missioning/WH/plexing on T3D, some thoughts:
1) Confessor (beam) - best of all 4. can do almost all L3 (both blitz and genocide) and some L4 blitz (spies for example).
for plexing better than worm/gila (up to 4/10)
wormhole C1 class without problem, wolf-rayette up to C3 class.
2) Hecate (railgun) - same as confessor, but you need to carry a lot of ammo. no plase for more lootOops. but excellent defense mode
3) Svipul (artillery) - can do L3/WH C1. But lack in range, so you need to spend more time on mission than confessor/hecate. ammo in cargo, 10s reload time. but excellent defense mode.
4) Jackdaw (rocket and light missile) - same as svipul. in WH your have a problem that called - damage delayed aplication... and ammo in cargo...
P.S. damage selection for hecate/confessor is a mith. if you have a lot of dps you don't need another type of ammo.
Jarsoom Blade
Blade's Legion
#14 - 2015-09-03 07:35:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Jarsoom Blade
Uriam Khanid wrote:
after some missioning/WH/plexing on T3D, some thoughts:
1) Confessor (beam) - best of all 4. can do almost all L3 (both blitz and genocide) and some L4 blitz (spies for example).
for plexing better than worm/gila (up to 4/10)
wormhole C1 class without problem, wolf-rayette up to C3 class.

Could I trouble you for the fit? And what is the dps and optimal range I can expect/should aim for on a PvE beam Confessor?
Thanks all for providing useful info!

Edit:

Anyone any tips/comments about this WH Confessor fit?

Damage Control II
Small Armor Repairer II
Adaptive Nano Plating II
Heat Sink II
Tracking Enhancer II

1MN Afterburner II
Data Analyzer I
Cap Recharger II

Small Focused Beam Laser II, Aurora S
Salvager I
Core Probe Launcher I, Core Scanner Probe I

Small Capacitor Control Circuit II
Small Capacitor Control Circuit II
Small Anti-Thermic Pump II

Cap stable, AB 528m/s in non-prop mode with 879m/sAB prop mode, 52km optimal in sharpshooter mode with Aurora S and 178dps/604 volley for me. Enough for WH combat sites?

Uriam Khanid
New Machinarium Corporation
#15 - 2015-09-04 17:04:53 UTC
as you ask (armor fit):
Confessor, Big beam:

4xSmall Focused Beam Laser II
Core Probe launcher II, 8xCore Scanner Probe I
Salvager I

2xEutectic Compact Cap Recharger
1MN Monopropellant Enduring Afterburner

3xHeat Sink II
Damage Control II
Small Armor Repairer II

Small Energy Locus Coordinator II
Small Processor Overclocking Unit I
Small Nanobot Accelerator I

sharpshooter mode: Imperial Multi - 16+3km@487dps/1340 alpha; Aurora - 59+3km@282dps/777 alpha
other mode's: imperial Multi - 10+3km; Aurora - 36+3km
capacitor enough for 3,5 minutes

tips and comments:
i do not think that my fit is good for you. From your fit i see that you have fears and phobies like tank, capacitor and tracking.
and you need 200+ dps for safely+quickly (in small ship) doing WH sites. if not - you will be killed by sleepers.
Jarsoom Blade
Blade's Legion
#16 - 2015-09-04 22:38:37 UTC
Uriam Khanid wrote:
tips and comments:
i do not think that my fit is good for you. From your fit i see that you have fears and phobies like tank, capacitor and tracking.
and you need 200+ dps for safely+quickly (in small ship) doing WH sites. if not - you will be killed by sleepers.

Thanks for your fit! Will look into it some more ;)

Fears and phobias lol. Such deductive skills.
I fitted the tracking enhancer for the extra range. Might change it out for a heat sink instead, since my gunnery skills arent high enough to get high damage on their own, and range won't matter then anyway. And cap stable so i can just let the repper go on and on.
I based the fit on this one http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/04/eve-evolved-fitting-the-confessor-for-pve-and-pvp/
Since I've never flown a T3D, have no idea how the tank is, so that is totally correct idd!

Dato Koppla
Rattini Tribe
Minmatar Fleet Alliance
#17 - 2015-09-05 07:14:13 UTC
A PvP fit kite Confessor can do all the Sansha/Blood 2-4/10s with ease as well as belt rat around lowsec quite competently. Also since it's PvP fit you stand a good chance against people trying to mess with you. Oh, also you can have an expanded probe launcher to scan down other people doing DEDs and hunt them down to steal their sites as well as scan down DEDs.

Very versatile and very useful. I don't have a fit on me right now since I'm not at home, but message me in-game and I can send it to you if you like.
Jarsoom Blade
Blade's Legion
#18 - 2015-09-06 14:21:06 UTC
Dato Koppla wrote:
Very versatile and very useful. I don't have a fit on me right now since I'm not at home, but message me in-game and I can send it to you if you like.

Thanks, appreciated ;) I'm fiddling around with fits in EFT aswell, and it's always nice to see other people's ideas on fits!

W0lf Crendraven
The Tuskers
The Tuskers Co.
#19 - 2015-09-06 18:18:35 UTC
Dato Koppla wrote:
A PvP fit kite Confessor can do all the Sansha/Blood 2-4/10s with ease as well as belt rat around lowsec quite competently. Also since it's PvP fit you stand a good chance against people trying to mess with you. Oh, also you can have an expanded probe launcher to scan down other people doing DEDs and hunt them down to steal their sites as well as scan down DEDs.

You can do everything up to and including 6/10 in a 10mn confessor (at least with links), just takes forever (at least angel ones).
Dato Koppla
Rattini Tribe
Minmatar Fleet Alliance
#20 - 2015-09-07 02:13:38 UTC
W0lf Crendraven wrote:
Dato Koppla wrote:

You can do everything up to and including 6/10 in a 10mn confessor (at least with links), just takes forever (at least angel ones).

Yeah the speed tank on the 10MN allows you to do those sites but the 300+ dps you're rocking with Conflag at close range just doesn't cut it. Between burning to get into range and the low top end dps you'll take so long to do the site that you're better off flying to a trade hub to get a proper ship and coming back to do it.

Also not sure how well it will fare against Blood 5-6/10s with the neuts and web towers.
12Next page