These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

Redesign suns/stars

Author
Dr Cedric
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#21 - 2015-08-28 16:16:00 UTC
Overall, I find the scale of all of the celestial objects kind of smallish. It seems like every plant is a mini-moon with a station next to it. Im very much looking forward to the new stations/citadels, but I'm thinking that planets will start looking comically small compared to the 100 km wide citadels that are anchored around them.

In my opinion, if you're outside a station next to a planet, the planet should take up the entirety of the screen if you're looking at it. How much bigger should the sun/stars be when you're "next" to them. I mean, the earth's diameter is like 12,500 km, and I've flown from the "outside" shell of a planet on one side to the opposite side in a 4km/s interceptor in like 5 minutes. Quick math says thats like 1200 km, meaning the planet size i flew through, if it was supposed to be as big as the earth is actually only like 10% of what "real" should be.

Then there's the "sun" diameter. I have flown from the warp-in point on the sun all the way to the "bounce point" of a sun in about 3 hours total of time in the same interceptor. More quick math says I traveled around 45,000 km to get from outside the sun to inside the sun. Our sun is 1.4M kilometers in diameter, or 700,000 km in radius. Again, i've traveled only 5-10% of the "real" distance to get to the inside of the sun.

Im curious to hear from anybody who has any idea about the coding for these kind of objects in this game: would it be unfeasible to introduce this kind of object with this kind of size? Would it look weird or game/immersion-breaking if it were more realistic? And then, how hard would it be to code in the distance based, environmental effects?

All in all, a cool concept I think.

Cedric

Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#22 - 2015-08-28 19:43:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Reaver Glitterstim
Horus V wrote:
Dr Cedric wrote:
For clarity, we should be talking about "suns," as in the central star(s) that the planets in a solar system orbit.

So, OP, you should rename thread to updating "suns" to avoid confusion

Edited it. You see Im not very well educated about those but Im sure just like most of the players yet the experience would change sygnificantly because its obvious that things get smaller when you move away from it.

I disagree, stars is a more accurate designation and I think the issue is that people need to learn that our sun is one of those stars. The problem isn't that the OP failed to designate near stars differently from far stars, but rather that everyone else does. They aren't different, they aren't even functionally different simply due to you being more than a certain distance away from them. Calling them suns when you're near them is an autocentric viewpoint.

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2015-08-28 19:51:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Reaver Glitterstim
Dr Cedric wrote:
Overall, I find the scale of all of the celestial objects kind of smallish. It seems like every plant is a mini-moon with a station next to it. Im very much looking forward to the new stations/citadels, but I'm thinking that planets will start looking comically small compared to the 100 km wide citadels that are anchored around them.

In my opinion, if you're outside a station next to a planet, the planet should take up the entirety of the screen if you're looking at it.

That's a matter of distance. It makes a lot of sense to keep very large orbital stations well outside the planet's atmosphere, magnetic field, and far enough away to minimize tidal forces. I would venture a guess that EVE stations orbit at somewhere in the ballpark of 10,000 - 25,000 km above a planet's surface. It would be neat to have low-orbiting stations (probably would be smaller) that orbit under 500km, and that would fill your screen with the planet. The ISS and previously MIR orbited low like that because it saves a lot on fuel costs to get to it. The ISS is just high enough for a relatively low cost to boost it in order to keep up with its orbital decay, MIR was actually too low to be economical which we discovered later. Also we like to keep our stations well inside Earth's magnetic field because we do not have meteor defense systems nor integrity response drones like the people's of New Eden have.

I hope that explains it better. The planets in EVE are a very realistic size for the most part, though some specifics may be wrong as we didn't know nearly as much about planets then as we do today.

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#24 - 2015-08-28 20:16:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Dersen Lowery
Reaver Glitterstim wrote:
Dr Cedric wrote:

In my opinion, if you're outside a station next to a planet, the planet should take up the entirety of the screen if you're looking at it.

That's a matter of distance.

Actually, as Chance Ravinne recently discovered, it's a matter of field of view. If you check Advanced Camera Menu in the ESC menu, then hold down CTRL and both mouse buttons, you can move the mouse up and down to narrow and broaden your field of view. At the narrowest, planets look like planets, stars look like (polyhedral) stars, customs offices and stations look absolutely immense, and ships are clearly visible kilometers away. It's deeply immersive. But then, of course, your field of view is narrow, so you can't see very much and you can't fling your POV around nearly as quickly as you can with a wide field of view, so its tactical utility is considerably reduced.
Also, there are issues with camera shake at the narrowest FOV.

If CCP could polish that up and introduce a better tactical UI [edit: and update some really bad texturing on certain in-space assets that become really obvious at large scales], they could make EVE look stunning and cinematic right out of the box.

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

Mr Mieyli
Doomheim
#25 - 2015-08-28 20:28:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Mr Mieyli
Dr Cedric wrote:

That's a matter of distance. It makes a lot of sense to keep very large orbital stations well outside the planet's atmosphere, magnetic field, and far enough away to minimize tidal forces. I would venture a guess that EVE stations orbit at somewhere in the ballpark of 10,000 - 25,000 km above a planet's surface. It would be neat to have low-orbiting stations (probably would be smaller) that orbit under 500km, and that would fill your screen with the planet. The ISS and previously MIR orbited low like that because it saves a lot on fuel costs to get to it. The ISS is just high enough for a relatively low cost to boost it in order to keep up with its orbital decay, MIR was actually too low to be economical which we discovered later. Also we like to keep our stations well inside Earth's magnetic field because we do not have meteor defense systems nor integrity response drones like the people's of New Eden have.

I hope that explains it better. The planets in EVE are a very realistic size for the most part, though some specifics may be wrong as we didn't know nearly as much about planets then as we do today.

I'd love to have low orbit warp-to's around planets that prevent capitals and up to warp to due to the gravity or some other techogarbage.

edit: maybe the different planet types (ie gas, plasma, ice) could even have different local effects at these low-orbit warp-to's similar to the often asked for "space weather"

This post brought to you by CCP's alpha forum alt initiative. Playing the eve forums has never come cheaper.

Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#26 - 2015-08-28 20:45:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Reaver Glitterstim
Dersen Lowery wrote:
If CCP could polish that up and introduce a better tactical UI, they could make EVE look stunning and cinematic right out of the box.

It's an interesting point, but there's not a lot to polish up when it comes to field of view. The default field of view is reasonably accurate assuming it's supposed to depict a 90º viewing angle which is an industry standard for flat screens. Without having a concave screen, a viewing angle significantly higher than 90º causes more distortion than most of us are prepared to deal with. Truth be told, a truly flat screen causes some distortion at any view angle, but most people don't notice it much until around 105º, whereas by 120º most people feel it's already gaining a significant "fisheye" effect, and by 150º virtually everyone will agree it is highly distorted.

There are some artful ways to implement non-standard view angles. One excellent example is in the game Final Fantasy VIII, which presents a persistant view angle of perhaps 45º. This both leads to and is used to explain/handwave some really dramatic eye candy, such as the gigantic moon, which Ellone seems to think looks small from home. There are multiple effects told in the story leading to the moon's large size, which is further amplified by your default Sci-fi moon which is always way bigger than the real thing, followed by the viewing angle magnifying it further. When you add all that together, it's almost reasonable to display it like so, and you have to admit it looks pretty great.

But there are drawbacks associated with this view angle, and they can verge on game-breaking at times. Probably the worst is getting lost or turned around on the world map due to watching so much horizon spin past you while turning before you've fully turned around. I wonder if my early exposure to this game for so many hours has anything to do with why my navigational skills are so out of tune? Here is an example of what that looks like. (scene occurs from 6:01 to 6:07)

Lastly, you can see what it looks like to be up close to a planet by warping to a district if you can find a system with DUST activity, or just use a fast frigate with MWD to get there from the warp beacon.

Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#27 - 2015-08-28 21:02:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Dersen Lowery
Dersen Lowery wrote:
If CCP could polish that up and introduce a better tactical UI, they could make EVE look stunning and cinematic right out of the box.

It's an interesting point, but there's not a lot to polish up when it comes to field of view. The default field of view is reasonably accurate assuming it's supposed to depict a 90º viewing angle which is an industry standard for flat screens. Without having a concave screen, a viewing angle significantly higher than 90º causes more distortion than most of us are prepared to deal with. Truth be told, a truly flat screen causes some distortion at any view angle, but most people don't notice it much until around 105º, whereas by 120º most people feel it's already gaining a significant "fisheye" effect, and by 150º virtually everyone will agree it is highly distorted.

I suppose we'd need an answer from CCP on that, because it seems to me that the viewing angle would be greater than 90 degrees simply by virtue of the fact that everything appears much smaller than it would at a true scale. As Chance points out, when you warp to 0 at a star (which, of course, is not 0 km from the star, but it's not really that far away, either) it looks like a glowing tennis ball. At the minimum FOV EVE allows, it looks like a star.

The major issues would be the camera shake and, well, the narrow field of view not being tactically useful. You go from a vast, omniscient view to looking out through a full-coverage helmet, essentially. No peripheral vision.

This is the video I'm talking about, if you're curious. It's NSFW; I can't believe Chance kisses his mother with that mouth. P

I voted in CSM X!

Horus V
The Destined
#28 - 2015-08-28 22:08:31 UTC
Horus V wrote:
Dr Cedric wrote:
For clarity, we should be talking about "suns," as in the central star(s) that the planets in a solar system orbit.

So, OP, you should rename thread to updating "suns" to avoid confusion

Edited it. You see Im not very well educated about those but Im sure just like most of the players yet the experience would change sygnificantly because its obvious that things get smaller when you move away from it.

I disagree, stars is a more accurate designation and I think the issue is that people need to learn that our sun is one of those stars. The problem isn't that the OP failed to designate near stars differently from far stars, but rather that everyone else does. They aren't different, they aren't even functionally different simply due to you being more than a certain distance away from them. Calling them suns when you're near them is an autocentric viewpoint.

So I just keep title"suns/stars" to avoid confusion.

V

Victoria Esubria
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#29 - 2015-08-29 17:29:11 UTC
+1 i like the changes described seems like an intresting idea.
Barbara Nichole
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#30 - 2015-08-29 22:13:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Barbara Nichole
I would like to see some really graphically interesting binary stars (actually quite common) that are too close to each other, where one is siphoning the plasma from the other. It sure would be neat to have some reason to get closer to stars like a new type of solar harvesting...... Didn't someone suggest that once?

- remove the cloaked from local; free intel is the real problem, not  "afk" cloaking -

[IMG]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a208/DawnFrostbringer/consultsig.jpg[/IMG]

Horus V
The Destined
#31 - 2015-08-29 22:17:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Horus V
For Christmas I want to see first trailer named: "Star Tour".

Now watch this old trailer of planets and imagine seeing brand new shiny stars of different colours, effects and sizes.
Ps.same music though, I love the music.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=InimDSMVHiY

V

elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#32 - 2015-08-29 23:37:22 UTC
Barbara Nichole wrote:
I would like to see some really graphically interesting binary stars (actually quite common) that are too close to each other, where one is siphoning the plasma from the other. It sure would be neat to have some reason to get closer to stars like a new type of solar harvesting...... Didn't someone suggest that once?

I believe they are called Wolf-Rayet stars and you can find them in unknown space.

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#33 - 2015-08-29 23:43:13 UTC
As much as I like the idea that would mean that we would need very good flashlights on our ships to see anything in space.

Science fact the planetoid Pluto in the Cuiper Belt is around 1.3 AU from our star. The light from that tiny lightbulp is so little that it is really, really cool on the surface.
Now if you look at most New Eden solar system you stumble across planet (I) disances that reach from .6AU to 5AU from the star.
In systems where planet one is about 2AU from the star is would be so dark that the only light you can see is from your engines.

Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#34 - 2015-08-30 01:23:52 UTC
elitatwo wrote:
As much as I like the idea that would mean that we would need very good flashlights on our ships to see anything in space.

Science fact the minor planet Pluto in the Kuiper Belt is around 40 AU from our star. The light from that tiny lightbulp is so little that it is really, really cool on the surface.
Now if you look at most New Eden solar system you stumble across planet (I) disances that reach from 6AU to 50AU from the star.
In systems where planet one is about 2AU from the star is would be so dark that the only light you can see is from your engines.

You make a good point: we often dwell in the outer regions of star systems, where the star ought to look far smaller than it does. It varies a lot by the luminosity of the star as well. Some stars are thousands of times as bright as Sol, while some are thousands of times less bright. A star 4000x Sol's luminosity would look like our Sun at 64 AU. Our Sun at 64 AU would be merely a glowing dot in the sky, the brightest star among a sea of stars.

elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#35 - 2015-08-30 02:43:12 UTC
You make a good point: we often dwell in the outer regions of star systems, where the star ought to look far smaller than it does. It varies a lot by the luminosity of the star as well. Some stars are thousands of times as bright as Sol, while some are thousands of times less bright. A star 4000x Sol's luminosity would look like our Sun at 64 AU. Our Sun at 64 AU would be merely a glowing dot in the sky, the brightest star among a sea of stars.

Ooops! That's what happens when you drink those energy drinks and don't pay enough attention. Anyhow we have some super luminous stars like the Thera star which is a blue super giant and other blue giants that are much brighter then brown dwarf stars like Earth's.
Thanks for correcting, dear! Smile

Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#36 - 2015-08-30 02:56:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Reaver Glitterstim
Dersen Lowery wrote:
I suppose we'd need an answer from CCP on that, because it seems to me that the viewing angle would be greater than 90 degrees simply by virtue of the fact that everything appears much smaller than it would at a true scale. As Chance points out, when you warp to 0 at a star (which, of course, is not 0 km from the star, but it's not really that far away, either) it looks like a glowing tennis ball. At the minimum FOV EVE allows, it looks like a star.

I performed a test in-game to check the view angle, and I came up with an estimate that the angle is slightly less than 90º. (this is done with a 5x4 shaped screen, most are 4x3 or 16x9)

Planets and moons look correct, as do other objects like customs offices. A customs office may look small because you're zoomed out from your ship, but also small in comparison to your ship because you're still far away from it and your camera is closer to your ship. We think of 10km being a small distance in EVE, because most of our ships can travel a lot faster than 100m/s. It seems a lot more important on the ground when we can't even drive much over 50m/s.

Zooming in the view creates a false illusion that may look correct to you, but it really just looks like an image viewed through telescopic binoculars.

The stars render too small most of the time which IIRC I discovered was due to all stars rendering the same size.

Horus V
The Destined
#37 - 2015-08-30 10:01:40 UTC
Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#38 - 2015-08-31 20:36:30 UTC
Zooming in the view creates a false illusion that may look correct to you, but it really just looks like an image viewed through telescopic binoculars.

The stars render too small most of the time which IIRC I discovered was due to all stars rendering the same size.

OK, so the actual distances represented by '0' are such that you can never get a sense of the true scale of anything.

The narrow perspective still gives you the sense of scale that you'd get from, say, the International Space Station, as opposed to a satellite hundreds of thousands of km away from a planet.

That still seems to me like a problem. It doesn't convey the vastness of space or the true size of anything, it just makes gas giants look like Christmas ornaments. It's something I've never liked.

I voted in CSM X!

Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#39 - 2015-08-31 20:47:22 UTC
Dersen Lowery wrote:
OK, so the actual distances represented by '0' are such that you can never get a sense of the true scale of anything.

The narrow perspective still gives you the sense of scale that you'd get from, say, the International Space Station, as opposed to a satellite hundreds of thousands of km away from a planet.

That still seems to me like a problem. It doesn't convey the vastness of space or the true size of anything, it just makes gas giants look like Christmas ornaments. It's something I've never liked.

I'd agree there are some problems in the representation that kill the immersion. Here's some I can list:

1.) as you said, the distance-from-object radius is often far larger than the object--this is of course for access reasons but you could be 3km away from a customs office and it'll say you've arrived
2.) because of the bump-radius spheres used to represent solid structures, we can't approach them properly and a lot of times where we see an opening in a station, we can't fly inside to see how it feels up close
3.) the maximum resolution on larger objects is higher, so up close they don't look bigger, just zoomed-in (this is especially noticeable on low texture resolution settings)
4.) we can't zoom the camera onto a decent vantage point next to our ship to see what things would look like from a tiny observer, instead you just get a screenful of ship and you can't see around it
5.) when you approach close to the surface of a planet or moon, not only do you pass right through it, there are graphics anomalies with the surface that become apparent dozens of km away, making it and your ship seem far smaller than they are supposed to be

Dr Cedric
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#40 - 2015-08-31 20:48:32 UTC
Dersen Lowery wrote:

What Dersen said.

The point is, the vastness of space is not really portrayed through the graphics of the system. I can look past having an omnipresent light source to show the ships, and the lack of different looking suns. But having a planet that I can literally fly through and a sun that takes me an hour to navigate from one side to the other is immersion breaking.

Cedric

Previous page123Next page