These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

HOSTILE IN SYSTEM!

Author
Axe Murdera
Shadow Legion X
Seriously Suspicious
#1 - 2015-08-27 22:07:53 UTC
I know this has probably been proposed a million times. But I believe there should be a alert when hostiles or neutrals enter your system. Some kind of audio alert tone or simply "Hostile in system" message similar to "Warp drive active" Although not significant for folks in empire ( unless you could set it to war targets only) But I feel that a space ship with so much tech flowing through it would have some way of scanning local and alerting its captain to threats. I feel this should be an option similar to the safety feature where you can turn it on and off in case you are in a fleet fight. Also being able to put Highlighted backgrounds on player names in LOCAL would help significantly. Just a thought please don't burn me to death Big smile
Samillian
Angry Mustellid
#2 - 2015-08-27 22:22:56 UTC
Or you could try keeping an eye on local and being at the keyboard like the rest of us.

Not supported.

NBSI shall be the whole of the Law

Axe Murdera
Shadow Legion X
Seriously Suspicious
#3 - 2015-08-27 22:29:12 UTC
Samillian wrote:
Or you could try keeping an eye on local and being at the keyboard like the rest of us.

Not supported.

I am always at the keyboard, its always the one time im gate camping or ratting that I decide to alt tab or talk to my fiancé that a neutral/hostile jumps in and I either miss them or they tackle me...
unidenify
Deaf Armada
#4 - 2015-08-27 22:49:37 UTC
get second monitor.

I watch horror movie on my second monitor while sit in Cloaky ninja fleet.
Celthric Kanerian
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#5 - 2015-08-27 22:54:48 UTC
Axe Murdera wrote:
I know this has probably been proposed a million times.

Should this only work for you as well then? Since you apparently don't care about other people here...
Axe Murdera
Shadow Legion X
Seriously Suspicious
#6 - 2015-08-27 23:02:27 UTC
Celthric Kanerian wrote:
Axe Murdera wrote:

Should this only work for you as well then? Since you apparently don't care about other people here...

I'm not sure who you get I don't care about others here out of that sentence.... I am sure I am not the only capsuleer who feels this would help.
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#7 - 2015-08-27 23:13:46 UTC
Samillian wrote:

Not supported.

Not Emptyquoting.
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#8 - 2015-08-27 23:20:06 UTC
Not supported. It adds too much saftey to areas of the game that are, quite frankly, already quite safe if you are paying attention and staying alert.

Hell, Local as it is is WAY too powerful as an intel tool (something even the DEVs have admitted). If you are roaming around lookig for target, often times you are HOPING that you enter a system that has enough of a population in local chat that people won't notice you for the first 5 to 10 seconds... allowing you to catch someone before they scatter... or run away before they all decend upon you.

No "warp away as soon as you hear an alert" alarm for you! If anything, intel gathering and alerts should be made more difficult and/or broken outright.
Zan Shiro
Doomheim
#9 - 2015-08-28 03:50:43 UTC
Axe Murdera wrote:

I am always at the keyboard, its always the one time im gate camping or ratting that I decide to alt tab or talk to my fiancé that a neutral/hostile jumps in and I either miss them or they tackle me...

Ratting....safe up. Its not on ccp to have this be safer. Can be hard enough to catch a ratter in belt now. Don't need audio alarms giving sleepy ratters a break. That and how long are you alt tabbed or distracted? The land, they probe, they find you. This a few seconds. Longer if not on a belt but in ca's.

Also how crappy is your crew's intel this hostile just shows the hell up. Several hundred people alliance...we can assume you aren't the only 1 playing your play time frame. Someone is not posting intel. That is not the fault of the hostile so they have to lose their edge. You need to take this up with your crew really. You seem to have some dead weight that needs to be jenny craig'd sooner than later really.

Or are you not focused so long you don't see the intel? Thats on you man. All you. Assume 1 minute per system hop....intel 5 system out....that is 5 minutes to read, safe your boat, and live longer. Waste your 5....lm was earned there really.

Gate camping....your target has landed. They have in taken seconds using jump cloak to make work out what to do:

burn back to gate
shoot for warp off off gate and hope it works
burn off gate then warp
fight you.....

Your new target cared enough to focus on the game to live...you need to focus on the game to earn the right to kill him. Don't have that time....well you get what you get there really.
Valkin Mordirc
#10 - 2015-08-28 04:47:58 UTC
Yeeeaaah, no.

This idea totally promotes AFKship. Something this game needs less of
#DeleteTheWeak
Tabyll Altol
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#11 - 2015-08-28 05:33:11 UTC
Axe Murdera wrote:
I know this has probably been proposed a million times. But I believe there should be a alert when hostiles or neutrals enter your system. Some kind of audio alert tone or simply "Hostile in system" message similar to "Warp drive active" Although not significant for folks in empire ( unless you could set it to war targets only) But I feel that a space ship with so much tech flowing through it would have some way of scanning local and alerting its captain to threats. I feel this should be an option similar to the safety feature where you can turn it on and off in case you are in a fleet fight. Also being able to put Highlighted backgrounds on player names in LOCAL would help significantly. Just a thought please don't burn me to death Big smile

No stay alert or live with the consequense.

Daichi Yamato
Jabbersnarks and Wonderglass
#12 - 2015-08-28 09:05:42 UTC
Nope.

Appearing in local is more than enough warning. Id even change local such that it takes more effort to detect when someone enters system than glancing at a chat channel.

EVE FAQ "7.2 CAN I AVOID PVP COMPLETELY? No; there are no systems or locations in New Eden where PvP may be completely avoided"

Daichi Yamato's version of structure based decs

Celthric Kanerian
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#13 - 2015-08-28 09:41:21 UTC
Axe Murdera wrote:
Celthric Kanerian wrote:
Axe Murdera wrote:

I'm not sure who you get I don't care about others here out of that sentence.... I am sure I am not the only capsuleer who feels this would help.

What I meant is, that you upload your idea despite that there may be other threads about this already out there.

The sentence I quoted shows that you didn't care to search on forum.
Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2015-08-28 09:50:49 UTC
I'd rather just be able to sort local like the overview. It's annoying having better eyes when I'm away from home than when I'm at home just because there's 15 pages of blues to scroll through just to check if there's any non-blues in system. I should be able to show only certain colors if I want to.

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

Madd Adda
#15 - 2015-08-28 10:06:19 UTC
Reaver Glitterstim wrote:
I'd rather just be able to sort local like the overview. It's annoying having better eyes when I'm away from home than when I'm at home just because there's 15 pages of blues to scroll through just to check if there's any non-blues in system. I should be able to show only certain colors if I want to.

you could just highlight all of local and check to see if new arrivals have entered.

Carebear extraordinaire

Akrasjel Lanate
Immemorial Coalescence Administration
Immemorial Coalescence
#16 - 2015-08-28 12:39:34 UTC
Nope

CEO of Lanate Industries

Citizen of Solitude

Donnachadh
United Allegiance of Undesirables
#17 - 2015-08-28 13:15:35 UTC
Axe Murdera wrote:
I know this has probably been proposed a million times. But I believe there should be a alert when hostiles or neutrals enter your system. Some kind of audio alert tone or simply "Hostile in system" message similar to "Warp drive active" Although not significant for folks in empire ( unless you could set it to war targets only)

Add another voice to the no way group, why?

Not needed in low and nul, there are so few players in most of those systems that keeping an eye on local to spot a potential threat is to be honest stupidly easy and there is no need to make it easier.

No, because you want it for the 2 regions of space where it is least needed, however you would not allow it's use in the 1 area of space where it would truly be a blessing to have. It might be quick and easy in low / nul to scan local for hostiles, try that in high sec when there are 30 or 40 characters in system with you.

WH space is not relevant since local does not function the same way it does in low / nul / high so even if they had it it would be worthless.

Axe Murdera wrote:

This may be technically correct but it ignores the simple truth of the situation and the broader use of the term AFK.
Being at the keyboard but tabbed out of the EvE client to watch a video, cruise the web or talk to your fiance has exactly the same affect as walking away from the keyboard(AFK) since your attention is drawn to something else. So yes you were AFK even though you were sitting at your computer the whole time.
Nou Mene
Rattini Tribe
Minmatar Fleet Alliance
#18 - 2015-08-28 13:54:48 UTC
Not, if anything i would make it harder for people on local... like dont show until first decloaked or something.