These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

Fully enjoying the game so far. Grab bag of questions and revelations.

Author
Tanuki Three
Triple Tanuki Tech
#1 - 2015-08-22 20:31:02 UTC
Why do we get a cloak after jumping through a gate, but not when exiting a stations? The screen and UI goes black and you're completely helpless and vulnerable until it loads up for you to even try to execute an instant warp bookmark away from the station. I'm sure there's a good reason, but I've heard a lot of people complain about gate camps being easier to escape than station camps.

This isn't a complaint, I'm actually interested in the reasoning and mechanics behind it so I can be better prepared to combat it.

Faction Warfare has been very fun for me so far, even though all I'm doing is running complexes and running away from everyone. So far I've learned how to create safe warp spots in random locations around a system, and how to see people coming on the Dscan. I also learned that all it takes is a moment of inattention or bad luck for someone to catch you and scram you(lots of people are using 3-4 scrams these days). I was once even caught by a venture because I wanted to see if it was actually possible for it to be a real threat(it was to my cheap frig).

I've learned that I don't care about losing ships as long as I'm making 10x as much ISK as the ship costs. I'm not afraid to zip around lowsec like I used to be. I can evade 9 out of 10 pirates who try to catch me. I've finally come to agree that even rookie pilots in frigates can contribute and have fun doing PVP at low skill levels in cheap ships. When I played a few years ago I really didn't think it was possible. Carebear membership resigned.

I've learned that gate camps are not 100% a death sentence. I've escaped many. But I've also had ships destroyed within a second of dropping cloak to try and escape. Got in a huge argument with a veteran about whether 'Insta-lock' is actually possible. My stance is that I lost a ship so fast that it literally felt like clicking the warp button caused my ship to explode. His argument was that it only appeared that way because of lag and/or Adrenalin rush(which I didn't have. I was completely calm). I'm not completely certain now how it happened, and I'm not willing to completely disregard the word of someone who's been playing for years. More insight is needed.

I found out how FW control and tiers work, and that explained why there were so many defending players of the opposite faction in zones they already control. But I still haven't been able to figure out why there are 2-3 times as many neutral pirates in FW space as there are combined pilots of both sides of the war itself.

I learned how to convert LP into lots of ISK. I also learned that JITA is more dangerous when you're in FW.

I learned that even seemingly innocent information given in militia can result in spies taking advantage. I posted info about an empty system with a bunch of sites to run, and a few minutes later an entire fleet of pirates showed up and camped out for about 20 minutes. Maybe coincidence, but most of militia chat didn't think so. Even so, the lesson is valid: Posting certain types of intel in public channels is risky.

Hmm...what else....

Seems like most pirates believe that fitting warp stabs is cowardly and unfair, and they will attempt to taunt and otherwise verbally abuse you if you fit them. I think they're just mad that they didn't get easy kills, but maybe that's just me. On the flip side, many pirates are very polite and will answer questions about how they ganked you if you ask nicely. I've gotten in the habit of taunting people in local chat out of good natured fun if I get away, but thanking them for a lesson in combat if they catch me and blow up my ship(I've literally learned something from every gank).

I'm sure I'll learn more over the coming weeks. The main thing I take away from all this is that FW and PVP had a lot more enjoyment to it than I ever thought was possible. And I can tell I've only scratched the surface.

Tipa Riot
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2015-08-22 20:53:26 UTC
Seems you are doing well ... although you get no cloak you have a 30s invulnerability timer after undock if you don't do anything else except stopping your ship with ctrl+space. Looking forward to catch you. Blink

I'm my own NPC alt.

Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2015-08-22 21:00:02 UTC
Tanuki Three wrote:
Why do we get a cloak after jumping through a gate, but not when exiting a stations? The screen and UI goes black and you're completely helpless and vulnerable until it loads up for you to even try to execute an instant warp bookmark away from the station. I'm sure there's a good reason, but I've heard a lot of people complain about gate camps being easier to escape than station camps.

You're invulnerable for I think 30 seconds (might be less) when you undock if you DO NOT MOVE. The best way to counteract station campers is by making what is known as an "instant undock" bookmark. This is a bookmark you can warp to as soon as you undock and it leaves potential attackers unable to lock you at all.

Tanuki Three wrote:
I've learned that gate camps are not 100% a death sentence. I've escaped many. But I've also had ships destroyed within a second of dropping cloak to try and escape. Got in a huge argument with a veteran about whether 'Insta-lock' is actually possible. My stance is that I lost a ship so fast that it literally felt like clicking the warp button caused my ship to explode. His argument was that it only appeared that way because of lag and/or Adrenalin rush(which I didn't have. I was completely calm). I'm not completely certain now how it happened, and I'm not willing to completely disregard the word of someone who's been playing for years. More insight is needed.

Server ticks are 1 second long I believe and if the guy has a 1 second or below lock time on you, it's possible that they caught you right as you decloaked. It can also have something to do with lag.

Tanuki Three wrote:
I found out how FW control and tiers work, and that explained why there were so many defending players of the opposite faction in zones they already control. But I still haven't been able to figure out why there are 2-3 times as many neutral pirates in FW space as there are combined pilots of both sides of the war itself.

People like to fight in low sec without the drawbacks of being in a Militia, simple as that.

Tanuki Three wrote:
Seems like most pirates believe that fitting warp stabs is cowardly and unfair, and they will attempt to taunt and otherwise verbally abuse you if you fit them. I think they're just mad that they didn't get easy kills, but maybe that's just me. On the flip side, many pirates are very polite and will answer questions about how they ganked you if you ask nicely. I've gotten in the habit of taunting people in local chat out of good natured fun if I get away, but thanking them for a lesson in combat if they catch me and blow up my ship(I've literally learned something from every gank).

It's just them being salty when they think they've finally found a fight and you warp off without even attempting to fight back. Otherwise just keep flying and make sure you learn from each explosion and you'll get far :)
Tanuki Three
Triple Tanuki Tech
#4 - 2015-08-22 23:42:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Tanuki Three
Tsukino Stareine wrote:

You're invulnerable for I think 30 seconds (might be less) when you undock if you DO NOT MOVE. The best way to counteract station campers is by making what is known as an "instant undock" bookmark. This is a bookmark you can warp to as soon as you undock and it leaves potential attackers unable to lock you at all.

How does this actually work? Do I have to mash the 'Stop Ship' button as soon as the UI loads up? Or just not touch anything? I have a bookmark I made several thousand KM outside of the station in a straight line from undock. But when I tried to use it last time I got exploded before the black screen and UI finished loading.

I've also learned that trying to get anything done in FW on the weekend is an exercise in frustration. Virtually every system I've gone through has had 4-6 neutral pilots. All of which converge on complexes the moment you enter the system and DON'T fight each other at all(I know because I've sat out at 50/70/100km and watched them ignore each other almost every time and come for me).

As far as I can tell they're fishing for easy kills. What I don't understand is why they don't fight each other. I know if I was just running around looking for fights, it seems like it would be a target rich environment for anyone who's good at scanning.
Dale Liathain
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#5 - 2015-08-23 00:52:00 UTC
Either they are working together or they are all in safes waiting for someone to be somewhere they can warp to.
ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2015-08-23 01:49:14 UTC
Tanuki Three wrote:
Tsukino Stareine wrote:

How does this actually work? Do I have to mash the 'Stop Ship' button as soon as the UI loads up? Or just not touch anything?

Mashing the stop button is something. You can do nothing. Don't touch anything, don't do anything and you are invulnerable for about 30 seconds after undocking.

Did I mention the part about not touching anything?

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#7 - 2015-08-23 01:52:26 UTC
Also just for future reference experience is the best teacher. Experimentation is one of the better ways to gain experience. With that in mind anytime you have a question about anything in Eve just try it out or play around with it.

With regards to this specific topic get a friend and dock and undock while targeting each other to see how it works from both ends. Then you will know without question how it works.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

Tanuki Three
Triple Tanuki Tech
#8 - 2015-08-23 02:52:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Tanuki Three
ergherhdfgh wrote:

Mashing the stop button is something. You can do nothing. Don't touch anything, don't do anything and you are invulnerable for about 30 seconds after undocking.

I will try that next time I'm in Jita. There's always some jerk station camping there. It's probably good ISK too.......

Dale Liathain wrote:
Either they are working together or they are all in safes waiting for someone to be somewhere they can warp to.

So basically they're all fishing, waiting for someone like me to come along, only to watch as I get away from them because I'm not stupid? I guess eventually someone screws up and they get a kill, and that makes it all worthwhile. Whatever floats their boat, and at least that makes a kind of sense, and explains why they're so salty. It doesn't explain why there's so damn MANY of them though.

On the topic of scanning though, how difficult would it be to scan these guys and turn the tables on them?
FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#9 - 2015-08-23 03:28:14 UTC
Tanuki Three wrote:

On the topic of scanning though, how difficult would it be to scan these guys and turn the tables on them?

It's not hard to combat scan someone down - you might check out the Tech 3 Destroyers. They are pretty much designed to do this...

Just make sure you know what you are doing if/when you do scan them down and jump on them.

CCP should add more NPC 0.0 space to open it up and liven things up: the Stepping Stones project.

Tipa Riot
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2015-08-23 04:50:36 UTC
ergherhdfgh wrote:
Tanuki Three wrote:
Tsukino Stareine wrote:

How does this actually work? Do I have to mash the 'Stop Ship' button as soon as the UI loads up? Or just not touch anything?

As mentioned, stopping your ship with ctrl+space will not break your invulnerability. This is crucial as it usually allows for a safe redock (after the 10s session timer is gone) if the environment is unpleasant outside.

I'm my own NPC alt.

ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#11 - 2015-08-23 05:06:17 UTC  |  Edited by: ShahFluffers
(forgive me, I'm going to chop up your post a bit to go with my writing flow)

Tanuki Three wrote:

This isn't a complaint, I'm actually interested in the reasoning and mechanics behind it so I can be better prepared to combat it.

So... here's the thing...

Back when EVE was young there were a lot (and I mean A LOT) of connection issues. Two of the biggest issues were when the server "hands you over" from one node to another (see: station environments and space run on different nodes... different systems (or clusters of systems) often run on different nodes).

For stations, the solution was simple; introduce an "invulnerability timer." Upon undocking, a player is basically immune from target locks, damage, and bumping for 30 seconds or until the player performs an action... whichever comes first.
And when I say "performs an action" I am referring to any action other than killing engine power (Ctrl-SPACE).

For Stargates... that is a little trickier. You could have an invulnerability timer... but people would know where you are and block off any possible escape before you even load the grid (which was the main problem the DEVs were trying to work around).
So they introduced an "invulnerable cloaking field" whenever a person jumped through a stargate that will last for 1 minute or until the player performs an action,...whichever comes first.

Now seeing as how the cloak timer is superior to just a plain-jane invulnerability timer... why didn't stations get the same treatment as stargates?
Because unlike Stargates, you can re-dock at stations. And you might have extra help and/or stuff in that station to give you an extra edge.

Basically... the DEVs did not want to give too many mechanical advantages to defending players for mechanics that were originally designed as workarounds for lag and connectivity issues.

Tanuki Three wrote:

They are looking for fights and kills without the restrictions that Faction Warfare brings (see: station lock-out mechanics).

Also... low-sec existed before Faction Warfare did. FW does not get "exclusivity" just because it has a extra "badges" on the side of the screen.
(NOTE: you will find this a lot in EVE. Just because there is an "official" title or claim to something (or lack of thereof), it does not mean it is exactly that way. There are many aspects of the game that are purely abstract and a lot of players here like to keep it that way since it keeps a certain dynamic of the game "loose" and "shifty"... which is fun for many of us)

Tanuki Three wrote:
Seems like most pirates believe that fitting warp stabs is cowardly and unfair, and they will attempt to taunt and otherwise verbally abuse you if you fit them. I think they're just mad that they didn't get easy kills, but maybe that's just me.

Mmmm... I wonder why... hmmm...

Tanuki Three wrote:
all I'm doing is running complexes and running away from everyone.

Yeaaaaaaaaah.

Look... those guys are after fights (as I pointed out above). Whether it is easy or hard, they do not know. They can only guesstimate and hope it isn't a trap.
And as far as they are concerned... FW is there to encourage people to fight. You aren't fighting, you are farming. There in lies why they might a little "irked" by you.

Just to give you some perspective. Blink

Tanuki Three wrote:

Sounds like a combination of bad luck for you, lag, and good luck for the attacker.

As someone else pointed out above, EVE runs on 1 second "ticks" (see: it accepts, processes, calculates, and sends the [last series of] command(s) that you punched into the client once per second).

Where you live in the world and what your ISP is also matters. If you live in Europe (and especially the UK), you are closer to the server cluster and thus there is less lag time between you and the sever (see: less network voodoo and stupid stuff happens).
If you are using COMCAST like more than a few of us here in the USA use... you will find the occasional "hiccup" that shuts everything down for a few seconds to a minute.

As for the rest of it... very good. You seem to be finding your feet in EVE.
All I would suggest is to take the dive into Faction Warfare without the "safety" of warp core stabs. You might be pleasantly surprised to see how well your ship can perform against others if you fit it purely for combat rather than running away. Blink
voetius
Grundrisse
#12 - 2015-08-23 08:26:45 UTC
Tsukino Stareine wrote:

Tanuki Three wrote:

Server ticks are 1 second long I believe and if the guy has a 1 second or below lock time on you, it's possible that they caught you right as you decloaked. It can also have something to do with lag.

There is a good article on themittani.com that explains server ticks, it is a compilation of what players understand with some added clarification and confirmation from CCP at one of the player events. In summary: server ticks are 1 second for the overview so you cannot be locked in under one second. Of course, it may seem like that when you are in a stressful situation :)
Cherri Minoa
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2015-08-23 10:07:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Cherri Minoa
Let's clarify this undocking thing.

When you undock, you have 30 seconds invulnerability as long as you do nothing, EXCEPT stopping your ship. So ...

1. As you get the "undocking confirmed" message start clicking CTRL + SPACE until you see the "ship stopping" message
2. Notice the station is at 0m
3. You now have 30 seconds to look around, decide what to do, and if you choose to dock it will be instant

If you do not stop your ship, you still have the 30 seconds, but your ship will travel outside the docking ring which means that you cannot instantly re-dock, and will be at risk if you try. Another warning: if you have a very fast ship and a station with a very small docking ring (plus maybe a little lag) you can drift outside the docking ring even when you try to stop. You can tell becasue the station distance will be >0m. It's always best to test first.

By the way, as you undock and have the station at 0m, bookmark that as "station insta-dock". If you then need to dock at a station that is camped (but not bubbled) you warp to your bookmark rather than the station itself.

Insta-undocks should also be set for stations you use regularly, but they are not 100% reliable, so use with caution.

"If I had been censured every time I have run my ship, or fleets under my command, into great danger, I should have long ago been out of the Service" - Horatio Nelson

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#14 - 2015-08-23 10:58:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
Tanuki Three wrote:

That's whay you are invulnerable for 30 seconds after undocking: to give your client a chance to load. It takes a couple of seconds, so the invulnerable time may seem less to you.

You can stop your ship, but anything else will end the invulnerability period.

FWIW, Jita 4 moon 1 is aligned with the undock of Jita 4-4. Make a bookmark a random distance between. Be warned though, that you can still be probed and warped to. Also make insta-dock bookmarks at 0 km on a station, so you don't have to slow-boat to docking range.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=5878996#post5878996
Tipa Riot
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2015-08-23 11:31:14 UTC
Maybe you know already, but I see that more often than not, people sitting still on a safe spot ...that means, I can warp to them at zero after probing, which means certain death. So always be aligned to something and at max prop mod speed, MWD are best here of cause ...

I'm my own NPC alt.

Tanuki Three
Triple Tanuki Tech
#16 - 2015-08-23 15:36:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Tanuki Three
ShahFluffers wrote:

Basically... the DEVs did not want to give too many mechanical advantages to defending players for mechanics that were originally designed as workarounds for lag and connectivity issues.

I can understand that. I wonder that they haven't come up with something better between now and then, but I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

ShahFluffers wrote:

Also... low-sec existed before Faction Warfare did. FW does not get "exclusivity" just because it has a extra "badges" on the side of the screen.
(NOTE: you will find this a lot in EVE. Just because there is an "official" title or claim to something (or lack of thereof), it does not mean it is exactly that way. There are many aspects of the game that are purely abstract and a lot of players here like to keep it that way since it keeps a certain dynamic of the game "loose" and "shifty"... which is fun for many of us)

I was just surprised at the ratio of neutrals to FW targets. I've been spending a lot of time roaming around the FW systems setting up random 'safe' spots. And virtually every system has at least 3-5 neutrals compared to maybe 1 or 2 FW pilots every 3rd system, if that. Except for the 'gateway' systems into lowsec, it seems like FW is less about warfare, and more about providing a predictable location in space for people to try and ambush.

I'm not really sure there's a good way to fix that, or that it even needs to be fixed.

ShahFluffers wrote:

Yeaaaaaaaaah.

Look... those guys are after fights (as I pointed out above). Whether it is easy or hard, they do not know. They can only guesstimate and hope it isn't a trap.
And as far as they are concerned... FW is there to encourage people to fight. You aren't fighting, you are farming. There in lies why they might a little "irked" by you.

Just to give you some perspective. Blink

I should clarify. I'm not running away simply because all I want to do is farm. I'm running because I'm literally the smallest fish in the pond. In many systems I dont' have safe spots set up. My ship is cheap and fitted with weak mods because I have neither the ISK or the skills to equip better, and I'm still learning the basics of how FW/nullsec/pvp work. This isn't some kind of cowardly desire to avoid combat. It's a calculated decision to avoid combat with other players until I think I have a decent chance of putting up a fight.

I understand THEY don't know that. All they're seeing is one more farmer kill slipping through their fingers. But gimme a couple weeks to skill up and to be able to afford throwing ships at the learning process, and I'm going to start setting ambushes for these guys. They'll get all the fights out of me they could want. ;)
Tanuki Three
Triple Tanuki Tech
#17 - 2015-08-23 16:57:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Tanuki Three
I just discovered(through process of destroyed frigate and asking rookie chat) that pirates using an Astero are extremely dangerous due to not being able to see them coming until they're already inside a complex. I guess any ship with a cloaking device could pull it off, however.

Come to think of it, this particular pilot changed ships several times while in this same system in order to get me. Started with a venture(I learned that trick already). Then switched to a Heron that I also escaped from. And finally got me with an Astero. I'm guessing that means she has a POS somewhere nearby?

Also, I suppose I should take it as a compliment that she had to finally break out a relatively spendy ship to get me.
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#18 - 2015-08-23 19:58:32 UTC  |  Edited by: ShahFluffers
Tanuki Three wrote:
I was just surprised at the ratio of neutrals to FW targets. I've been spending a lot of time roaming around the FW systems setting up random 'safe' spots. And virtually every system has at least 3-5 neutrals compared to maybe 1 or 2 FW pilots every 3rd system, if that. Except for the 'gateway' systems into lowsec, it seems like FW is less about warfare, and more about providing a predictable location in space for people to try and ambush.

I'm not really sure there's a good way to fix that, or that it even needs to be fixed.

You are kind of on the right track.

The complexes where you orbit the "button" were designed to be "conflict points" to encourage more warfare (whether it be by neutrals or the hostile militia). Unfortunately, because it will always be more profitable and tactically sound to hop from one complex to another rather than defend it... they do not do their job (unless the defending team is at risk of losing their system).

And there is no easy way to modify this system towards its desired goal. Especially when you consider some of the design tenants of EVE;
- no instancing
- teamwork should be encouraged and rewarded
- solo play should not become completely non-viable (exceptions apply).
- tactics and playstyles should not be mechanically forced (merely encouraged)
- no one should be completely safe

edit: also... if it helps any... the Faction Warfare system is largely designed after the Privateer Age that more or less started around the 1400s.

You... a 3rd party... are contracted by a particular nation to attack "targets" that are hostile to that nation. You bring in your own equipment, resupply yourself, are not subject to the same rules and regulations of the normal military (see: you are still considered a "civilian" and are subject to "civilian law").
In return... you get bounties, perks, and can keep the loot that you gain from your service.
In a sense... you are a "legal pirate."

Also, fun fact; the reason this age ended was because Privateers started becoming "real" pirates. They would capture, loot, and sink a ship claiming it belonged to an enemy.
Or they would have multiple "Letters of Marquee" (the document authorizing their activities) from opposing nations... allowing them to attack anyone and everyone legally. Twisted

Interestingly... we see players following this same exact path. They start as FW people... they end as Pirates. Twisted

Tanuki Three wrote:
I should clarify. I'm not running away simply because all I want to do is farm. I'm running because I'm literally the smallest fish in the pond. In many systems I dont' have safe spots set up. My ship is cheap and fitted with weak mods because I have neither the ISK or the skills to equip better, and I'm still learning the basics of how FW/nullsec/pvp work. This isn't some kind of cowardly desire to avoid combat. It's a calculated decision to avoid combat with other players until I think I have a decent chance of putting up a fight.

Which is all completely understandable.
Pick your fights after all. Blink

But do know that even though you are the "smallest fish in the pond" you DO have the power to turn the tables and tear apart even the biggest of sharks. The trick in knowing what your options are and problem solving in more abstract ways.

Tanuki Three wrote:
gimme a couple weeks to skill up and to be able to afford throwing ships at the learning process, and I'm going to start setting ambushes for these guys. They'll get all the fights out of me they could want. ;)

The Skillpoint System and You

TLDR; even as a newbie you are stronger than you think. A few friends and a good plan can make all the difference.
Tanuki Three
Triple Tanuki Tech
#19 - 2015-08-23 20:33:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Tanuki Three
ShahFluffers wrote:

The Skillpoint System and You

TLDR; even as a newbie you are stronger than you think. A few friends and a good plan can make all the difference.

I get the point you're making in that linked post, although I don't agree with it 100%.

Many mods and fits can not be equipped without enough of the right skills. Added to that is the fact that a high SP pilot can also very likely sustain far greater losses than a new pilot, in terms of ISK, and also very likely has greater experience and knowledge of any given field(in this case the FW game of cat and mouse PVP around complexes).

All that adds up. While the difference between rank 4 and 5 of small hybrid turrets is individually very small, you have to add up ALL the small percentages and combine it with availability of better ships and mods(T2 stuff is vastly better than T1 stuff), and the ability to absorb losses. That can be overcome with numbers, of course. But the other side can do the exact same thing.

I totally get what you're saying, and I'm not downplaying my own abilities or potential at all. But I'm also the type of person who tries to be very realistic about things. "You have to know where you are before you can figure out where to go."

I'm sure in a few weeks I'll look back on these posts and think to myself, "Wow...I coulda been going nuts and killing people WAY earlier." But that's the benefit of hindsight. :)
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#20 - 2015-08-23 21:24:33 UTC  |  Edited by: ShahFluffers
Tanuki Three wrote:
Many mods and fits can not be equipped without enough of the right skills.

True... but that is part of the process of learning in this game. Even as a veteran, there is no end to the frustration of fitting a ship.
"Dammit! I need .5 more CPU to fit that!"
"Wut? Why can't I fit that? Ohhhhh... rigs took up too much PG. But I NEED that rig!"

The relative inflexibility you are experiencing means you have to find creative ways to get around it. And this helps later on when options open up because even the best mods, fittings, and ships will give you the same problems... only at that point you might be stuck in a mentality of, "why didn't my awesome mods work there? Must fit better mods!"
It is a trap I see veterans fall into very often.

Tanuki Three wrote:
Added to that is the fact that a high SP pilot can also very likely sustain far greater losses than a new pilot,

Insurance is your friend. Cool

Also... if you attach yourself to a good corp, more often than not someone will give you a stack of frigates and say "go for it."

Tanuki Three wrote:
All that adds up. While the difference between rank 4 and 5 of small hybrid turrets is individually very small, you have to add up ALL the small percentages and combine it with availability of better ships and mods(T2 stuff is vastly better than T1 stuff), and the ability to absorb losses. That can be overcome with numbers, of course. But the other side can do the exact same thing.

Don't focus strictly on the raw numbers. There is more to it than that.

Speed and "smallness" can mitigate massive amounts of raw damage.
Sometimes the smallest of weapons are best because they can keep up with your target (see: damage application).
Even the most massive tank can be made worthless if you have a single energy neutralizer.
Electronic Warfare can make even the most experienced veteran grind his/her teeth in frustration.

And yeah... the other side CAN theoretically do the same things. But then again... they may not have it at that precise moment... which can be to your advantage.
This is where picking fights comes in.

Also... don't dismiss Tech 1 stuff as "non-competitive." Sure, you may not win 1v1s against more experienced players with better equipment... but you CAN use them to great effect when you combine your strengths with others (yes, teaming up with others is a big deal in this game).

Tanuki Three wrote:
I totally get what you're saying, and I'm not downplaying my own abilities or potential at all. But I'm also the type of person who tries to be very realistic about things. "You have to know where you are before you can figure out where to go."

I'm sure in a few weeks I'll look back on these posts and think to myself, "Wow...I coulda been going nuts and killing people WAY earlier." But that's the benefit of hindsight. :)

Indeed. I thought I was worthless as a PvPer for the first 6 months I was playing.

Then I took my poorly skilled, TERRIBAD-fitted Dominix (it had Remote Repairs) to aid an ally fighting on a stargate against some cruisers. This ally was in a frigate.
I repped that frigate for so long and so well (purely by accident and dumb luck) that he killed one of the cruisers. The cruisers then disengaged and warped off thinking I was now going to turn my attention to them (if I had, I would have most certainly died).

At that moment I realized that despite my idiocy and lack of skill I had "helped." Cool
123Next page