These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

My theory about the destruction of Jamyl Sarum I's titan Seraph

Author
Lina theSlayer
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2015-08-23 03:20:58 UTC
So I was reading the news about the recent event that leads to the death of the beloved (or hated) Empress Jamyl Sarum I. Apparently a sizable drifter fleet lands directly upon the Empress's titan and alpha'd the Empress's titan called Seraph and use the second volley to finish off her majesty's capsule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46aRYr0IZi0

While I wonder how the drifter organized such precise attack and how the titan Seraph, the most advanced ship in amarr navy was destroyed by drifter even without using their superweapons, I came across this news:

http://community.eveonline.com/news/news-channels/world-news/breaking-news-society-of-conscious-thought-vessel-downed-in-sarum-prime/

So before the Empress headed to Safizon she was at the Mekhios Graveyard in Sarum Prime, when a gnosis battlecruiser belonging to the society of conscious thought approached her titan Seraph and scanned it using an "unidentified scanning system". The ship was later destroyed after repeated requests to **** off.

So how does everything related to each other? Obviously the "unidentified scanning system" must had been referring to the Entosis link, a new piece of technology of drifter origin that is said to have the ability to "direct interface with electronic systems or even other human beings". It has the power to turn down defenses of an entire station. So what would happen if such device was used on Seraph?

Its defenses could be turned down completely, armor hardener turned off, resistance membrane turned offline, capacitor wasted, communication sabotaged, warp core disabled. It could be even more terrifying, as it was the malicious mind of the operator that was projected inside the machinery of Seraph, hiding patiently for the best moment to strike.

That would explain why the drifter ambushed Seraph the moment it entered Safizon, as its location could be sent secretly to drifter force. That would explain why Seraph goes down after sustaining only one volley of strikes, as the majority of defense module could have been sabotaged. That would also explain why Jamyl Sarum I's escape pod failed to escape, as its warp core might be disabled.

The open questions remained to be answered are: why society of conscious thoughts allied themselves with drifters, and what could possibly benefit them from such alliances.
Markus Reese
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#2 - 2015-08-23 03:25:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Markus Reese
That is a good call actually. If it can shutdown our own technology, certainly more advanced ships can enable it faster and with more power. No visible effect in space because it was optimized. Many effects are outside of the visible spectrum and given a visible spectrum via our camera drones.

That said, and before I do a big writeup, I recommend re-posting this to the summit thread if one doesnt exist already. From a roleplay perspective, I like the way you think.

Edit: I HIGHLY recommend it actually. It was well written and articulated. Intergalactic summit is the roleplay section of the EVE Communication sector section of the forums. I noticed you had no likes so am proud to give you the first. Good job, I look forward reading and discussing more.

To quote Lfod Shi

The ratting itself is PvE. Getting away with it is PvP.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#3 - 2015-08-23 03:39:22 UTC
Eratsaka Ogyonin wrote:
I found Jamyl Sarum I for you.
Sent: 2015.08.23 03:35

I've found your scumsucker.

She is at Chaven VIII - Moon 1 - Imperial Academy station in the Chaven system, Parud constellation of Domain region.
Sobaan Tali
Caldari Quick Reaction Force
#4 - 2015-08-23 05:05:15 UTC
https://youtu.be/-N3Uk8Y5km8?t=6s

Interesting. I smell some major swafferdonking and plot twist shenanigans are afoot. Popcorn popped and ready.

"Tomahawks?"

"----in' A, right?"

"Trouble is, those things cost like a million and a half each."

"----, you pay me half that and I'll hump in some c4 and blow the ---- out of it my own damn self."

Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#5 - 2015-08-23 05:17:25 UTC
150 drifters = approx 1 million Alpha. Assuming just one volley from their conventional weapons.
However they are meant to have fired their DD's. Not their conventional weapons. I was busy looking at my scan overview at the time as I was looking for new sites popping up on grid (i.e. new WH's).
Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2015-08-23 05:35:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Sibyyl
Tippia wrote:
Eratsaka Ogyonin wrote:

She is at Chaven VIII - Moon 1 - Imperial Academy station in the Chaven system, Parud constellation of Domain region.

Tippia, this was a bug fixed by CCP Falcon.

Edit:

Nevyn Auscent wrote:
150 drifters = approx 1 million Alpha. Assuming just one volley from their conventional weapons.
However they are meant to have fired their DD's. Not their conventional weapons. I was busy looking at my scan overview at the time as I was looking for new sites popping up on grid (i.e. new WH's).

CCP deployed 100 Drifters delivering potentially 75 million damage alpha** from simultaneously firing Doomsdays. This is above and beyond the approx. 38.8 million EHP** of The Empress's Avatar. She was vaporized in the blink of an eye.

** damage calculated by Uriel and Ashterothi
** EHP calculated by Morwen, overheated with no links

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#7 - 2015-08-23 06:53:20 UTC
Sibyyl wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Eratsaka Ogyonin wrote:

Apparently not, since she was still searchable when I wrote that post.
Jinx Jameson
Dead Cow Theory
#8 - 2015-08-23 08:31:41 UTC
Sibyyl wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Eratsaka Ogyonin wrote:

Edit:

Nevyn Auscent wrote:

CCP deployed 100 Drifters delivering potentially 75 million damage alpha** from simultaneously firing Doomsdays. This is above and beyond the approx. 38.8 million EHP** of The Empress's Avatar. She was vaporized in the blink of an eye.

** damage calculated by Uriel and Ashterothi
** EHP calculated by Morwen, overheated with no links

Check the killmails, there was a tad less Drifters on that ...

https://zkillboard.com/kill/48596700/
https://zkillboard.com/kill/48596707/

Apollo Tyrannos : 726,944
Vigilant Tyrannos : 100.0%

Jacob Holland
Weyland-Vulcan Industries
#9 - 2015-08-23 11:20:12 UTC
The killmail is obviously slightly broken... For a start both "Drifter Battleship" and the non-100%er on each mail still appear on each mail - I would not suggest that they were whoring the mail with EWar...
It's likely that multiple entries of "Drifter Battleship" have been conflated into one on the mail - which might have broken the recorded damage on that - though of course it's also possible that DevHax "Heal=0" was the real cause (though why bother when the combined superweapon fire is more than enough (and the video does look like superweapon fire)).

As to the SoCT encounter; that was almost a month ago. I find it unlikely that, severed from the systems which enabled its projection (if indeed the "unidentified scanning system" was Entosis), the mind, the hack could continue for so long, particularly without detection. I'm sure that the Imperial Security protocols are tight enough that even a fairly inoccuous anomaly would be sufficient to red flag the ship - they've been dealing with assassination, warfare and all manner of threats to the Emperor's person for generations all but uncounted after all - I'm certain they're about as paranoid as it is possible to be... particularly after the direct attacks by Drifter forces already repelled.
Panthe3 Black
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2015-08-23 11:35:17 UTC
RP lives, and the AI is better then you...
Jenshae Chiroptera
#11 - 2015-08-23 13:24:44 UTC
Somehow, it will work its way around to Guristas being at the root of the assasination and Drifters turning active. Then we will all have to invade Deklein. P

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Seraph Essael
Air
The Initiative.
#12 - 2015-08-23 19:57:17 UTC
It's okay guys, I wasn't really destroyed, I'm still here Lol

Quoted from Doc Fury: "Concerned citizens: Doc seldom plays EVE on the weekends during spring and summer, so you will always be on your own for a couple days a week. Doc spends that time collecting kittens for the on-going sacrifices, engaging in reckless outdoor activities, and speaking in the 3rd person."

Rauour Engil
Rabies Inc.
#13 - 2015-08-23 21:22:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Rauour Engil
OOC: Isn't it... more like during the last emperor championships she got cloned to escape suicide, the process didn't work and a being known as 'the other' partially possessed her on eventual revival, the other gave her access to all sorts of new tech (isogen-5 based) which lead to the sleepers rocking up and general mayhem as the iso-5 caches blew up (thanks Thukkers), the other continued to enhance her giving her all sorts of strange powers (telepathy being one), then the drifters came into the mix, she/it continued developing new tech (immortals for Dust, entosis links, new shield tech), the drifters hunted her down and destroyed her (they hope, but we know she has been cloned once so there's no telling she/it won't resurface elsewhere).

Perhaps the Drifters are a race that got involved to limit the potential of the sleepers. Perhaps the 'other' is a criminal drifter or evolved sleeper AI that knew what was coming and tried to use her to set-up to fight the drifters when they inevitably turned up.

Interestingly writing about EveGate suggests that it might be partially linked to other universes and times. So perhaps that's how 'the other' jumped into her during the cloning process.

What I'm interested in is (a) how she came to be a target and why she started down the route she did [are there other similarly possessed people among us], (b) how SoCT came to the conclusion that she was an existential threat. How much do they actually know about what's going on, (c) what was the Jove connection with the Blood Raiders who also went after the tech.

... interesting times :)

or perhaps not that interesting: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=441987&find=unread
Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2015-08-24 03:30:54 UTC

Jinx Jameson wrote:
Sibyyl wrote:
CCP deployed 100 Drifters

Check the killmails, there was a tad less Drifters on that ...

Apollo Tyrannos : 726,944
Vigilant Tyrannos : 100.0%

If you listen to the Hydrostatic Lore Podcast from today, at approximately the 13:00 mark CCP Affinity describes 100 Drifters under CCP control with modified AI to fire the Doomsday first.

All the individual Tyrannos NPCs share the same character ID, so on a killboard they appear only as a single character.

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Markus Reese
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#15 - 2015-08-24 04:38:36 UTC
Sibyyl wrote:

If you listen to the Hydrostatic Lore Podcast from today, at approximately the 13:00 mark CCP Affinity describes 100 Drifters under CCP control with modified AI to fire the Doomsday first.

All the individual Tyrannos NPCs share the same character ID, so on a killboard they appear only as a single character.

Will second verify this. It was a fantastic podcast today. Jamyl is confirmed dead, never to return. Such a statement easy to roleplay in. The locator agent and the kill log is due to the limitations of the mechanics. We can roleplay if we wish as to side reasons for a kill mail being lower than expected damage. My favorite to date is the one that is the start of this thread.

To quote Lfod Shi

The ratting itself is PvE. Getting away with it is PvP.