These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Crime & Punishment

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Thunderdome - July 2015 series!

Author
Bronson Hughes
The Knights of the Blessed Mother of Acceleration
#321 - 2015-08-14 00:31:40 UTC
Leto Thule wrote:
Carrie-Anne Moss wrote:
Noragen Neirfallas wrote:
Besides we just did an exotic thunderdome. I say standard this time round. make the next exotic again lol

I cant compete because i am poor.
If the next one is t1 only i could afford it.

Or can someone just bum me a few hundred mill for ships and fits?

You are welcome to participate, but I'm not going to restrict it to T1 only. I mean, you could be a baddass and wreck shop in a t1....

I wrecked a Faction Battlecruiser in a vanilla T1 ABC. I also beat a HAC in a cheap Navy faction cruiser.

ISK doesn't buy victory.

Relatively Notorious By Association

My Many Misadventures

I predicted FAUXs

Cara Forelli
State War Academy
Caldari State
#322 - 2015-08-14 00:38:08 UTC
Leto Thule wrote:
wreck shop in a t1....

Already theorycrafting. Maybe give me a low seed. Big smile

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament

Lan Wang
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#323 - 2015-08-14 00:52:40 UTC
Carrie-Anne Moss wrote:
Noragen Neirfallas wrote:
Besides we just did an exotic thunderdome. I say standard this time round. make the next exotic again lol

I cant compete because i am poor.
If the next one is t1 only i could afford it.

Or can someone just bum me a few hundred mill for ships and fits?

if you compete please dont expect a blog post kk luv ya x

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

lmmortalist
lmmortality Associates
#324 - 2015-08-14 15:54:14 UTC
Oh my god. Are you all space-poor? For real? No goddamn restrictions. Besides, the advantages of, say, fitting faction instead of T2 are marginal for almost all of the modules. Also I can't fly T2 bcs either but hey who cares, its still possible to create a fit to destroy one of them within the boundaries of the current rules out of the T1 bc hulls (no I'm not revealing it). Twisted
Leto Thule
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#325 - 2015-08-14 16:18:59 UTC
lmmortalist wrote:
Oh my god. Are you all space-poor? For real? No goddamn restrictions. Besides, the advantages of, say, fitting faction instead of T2 are marginal for almost all of the modules. Also I can't fly T2 bcs either but hey who cares, its still possible to create a fit to destroy one of them within the boundaries of the current rules out of the T1 bc hulls (no I'm not revealing it). Twisted

Thunderdome is representative of the core rules of EVE. Namely risk vs reward. No restrictions.

Thunderdome ringmaster, Community Leader and Lord Inquisitor to the Court of Crime and Punishment

Bronson Hughes
#326 - 2015-08-14 16:23:09 UTC
lmmortalist wrote:
Oh my god. Are you all space-poor? For real? No goddamn restrictions.

The only round/bracket-wide restrictions I support are the ones that limit options. T3 cruisers can so brutally overpower almost any other cruiser that the cruiser round would effectively become a T3 round. Same to an extent with D3s. Personally, I'd rather see more variety, not less.

As for individual match bans, those are more about covering gaps in your own build and less about limiting cost. If I want to ban a Gila, it's not because I'm worried about flying an expensive ship, it's because my fit doesn't work well against a Gila. Plus, this will force folks to come up with at least two viable fits.

My Many Misadventures

I predicted FAUXs

Leto Thule
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#327 - 2015-08-14 20:53:44 UTC
Bronson Hughes wrote:

As for individual match bans, those are more about covering gaps in your own build and less about limiting cost. If I want to ban a Gila, it's not because I'm worried about flying an expensive ship, it's because my fit doesn't work well against a Gila. Plus, this will force folks to come up with at least two viable fits.

^ This ^

As in the past, the only restrictions will be on the T2 variants of battleships (because marauders in bastion mode will never die), and no T3 cruisers because of the absolute brick you can make them.

We will leave T3D's out of the next round, but honestly, you all need to get them trained. Why? Because they are a blast. The mode switching feature really opens up the possibilities, and even though the jackdaw may have the best-in-class tank, I have seen them melted by heckates up close. I fully plan on implementing them in the coming months.

Thunderdome ringmaster, Community Leader and Lord Inquisitor to the Court of Crime and Punishment

Tengu Grib
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#328 - 2015-08-14 22:17:11 UTC
Leto Thule wrote:
Bronson Hughes wrote:

^ This ^

As in the past, the only restrictions will be on the T2 variants of battleships (because marauders in bastion mode will never die), and no T3 cruisers because of the absolute brick you can make them.

We will leave T3D's out of the next round, but honestly, you all need to get them trained. Why? Because they are a blast. The mode switching feature really opens up the possibilities, and even though the jackdaw may have the best-in-class tank, I have seen them melted by heckates up close. I fully plan on implementing them in the coming months.

Maybe have a smaller side thunderdome T3D's only?

Rabble Rabble Rabble

Praise James, Supreme Protector of High Sec.

Leto Thule
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#329 - 2015-08-14 22:24:31 UTC
I'm planning on just integrating them into the brackets in a few months.

Lodestone Toyee
BLACK FOX COLLECTIVE
#330 - 2015-08-14 23:55:52 UTC
I really like the bans idea because it would make theorycrafting more dynamic.

I cant fly T2 BCs either, but restricting them completely seems like overkill. As has been mentioned, its possible to frame a T1 BC that will beat a sleipnir or Astarte (it takes some l33t piloting too). The person who can fly T2 BCs has the disadvantage that everyone will be expecting him to bring a T2 BC and will fit their ships accordingly.

On another note, T3s are built for extreme resilience against gangs and they are great at fighting above their class.
If T3s were in the cruiser bracket I think it would be possible to win with non-t3s provided you had a good amount of neuts/kiting superiority. Imo, it would turn into situation like w-space, where practically everyone has to bring neuts. (which may not be a bad thing)

Maybe adding T3Cs to other class brackets would be a solution? stat wise they are closer to T2BCs and BS than they are to cruisers. Also, in the battleship bracket they would be facing enough dps/neuts that their extreme tanks would be much more breakable.

Just my two cents, thinking of a way to incorporate them without breaking the current balance.
Bronson Hughes
#331 - 2015-08-15 00:05:13 UTC
Ladies and gentlemen of C&P, we have a real nailbiter of a Thunderdome match here! Lodestone and I duked it out in Amarr tonight and even though the match wasn't a long, drawn out slugfest like some of the past matches has been, it was incredibly close, I would say so close as to be luck of the draw.

The video is here.

For those of you who are suspense-limited, the killmail is here.

My Many Misadventures

I predicted FAUXs

Leto Thule
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#332 - 2015-08-15 00:29:00 UTC
Congrats!!

Bracket updated.

http://challonge.com/3367hp47

Guys, get it moving!

Lodestone Toyee
BLACK FOX COLLECTIVE
#333 - 2015-08-15 00:42:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Lodestone Toyee
That was a pretty good fight indeed! Brutix navy wasn't something I expected, and I kinda panicked when the neut hit. Thinking it was a race against time before you capped me out and my guns stopped, I overheated to my doom. :P

Best of luck to you in the BS bracket! ;D

Edit: Mostly for my own sake, I published My Perspective.
Leto Thule
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#334 - 2015-08-15 02:28:21 UTC
Lodestone Toyee wrote:
That was a pretty good fight indeed! Brutix navy wasn't something I expected, and I kinda panicked when the neut hit. Thinking it was a race against time before you capped me out and my guns stopped, I overheated to my doom. :P

God... I thought for certain that you had him. If you hadnt burnt out... and maybe a bit more range control... that one was CLOSE.

Damnskippy
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#335 - 2015-08-15 02:41:56 UTC
Bronson Hughes wrote:
Ladies and gentlemen of C&P, we have a real nailbiter of a Thunderdome match here! Lodestone and I duked it out in Amarr tonight and even though the match wasn't a long, drawn out slugfest like some of the past matches has been, it was incredibly close, I would say so close as to be luck of the draw.

The video is here.

Damn, You weren't kidding when you said it was close. Nice fight though.
Bronson Hughes
#336 - 2015-08-15 02:44:02 UTC
Damnskippy wrote:
Bronson Hughes wrote:

The video is here.

Damn, You weren't kidding when you said it was close. Nice fight though.

Part of me wishes that his drones had finished me off before my ancillary repper reloaded because that would have been a frickin' good story to tell.

My Many Misadventures

I predicted FAUXs

Noragen Neirfallas
Emotional Net Loss
#337 - 2015-08-15 02:58:05 UTC
Bronson Hughes wrote:

The video is here.

I'm so done with this. Lode had my hopes soaring high above the clouds only to drop me like a rock Sad It was a good watch from both sides. Lode next time your rails on either end likely didn't burn out so split the guns. Not that I have burnt out my rails b4...

Also that was amazing lode. I was in awe of how close you came to finally toppling that lucky bastard Big smile

Member and Judge of the Court of Crime and Punishment

Noragens basically the Chribba of C&P - Zimmy Zeta

Confirming that we all play in Noragen's eve. - BeBopAReBop

ISD Buldath favorite ISD

'"****station games" - Sun Tzu' - Ralph King Griffin

Lodestone Toyee
BLACK FOX COLLECTIVE
#338 - 2015-08-15 02:59:13 UTC
Leto Thule wrote:
Lodestone Toyee wrote:

God... I thought for certain that you had him. If you hadnt burnt out... and maybe a bit more range control... that one was CLOSE.

Yeah, I should have taken the time to properly try to exploit the Ferox's optimal bonus. My main worry at the start was his active tank. I was worried he was dual-rep, which would be a perfect counter to me. The only way I could manage range was to use the MJD, and my projection at 105 km is only 260 dps, which probably would not have cracked his active tank.

As he dropped into structure just outside of scram range I got greedy. :/

I was thinking about my midslots too much, and I think I did an okay job there, but forgetting the most important part.

Next time I just need to stick to my guns. :D

Bronson Hughes
#339 - 2015-08-15 03:22:10 UTC
This sums up what I'm feeling at the moment, taken from an in-game chat that included Lodestone, Noragen, and Tengu (and others):

Bronson Hughes wrote:
Gentlemen...this is why I love Thunderdome. Not for the fame, not for the ISK, but for the butthole clenching.

A-yup.

My Many Misadventures

I predicted FAUXs

Aoife Fraoch
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#340 - 2015-08-15 03:36:04 UTC
I really need to start grinding Isk so I can participate.