These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Geckos useful in pvp?

Author
Delightful Delicacy
Doomheim
#1 - 2015-08-09 13:45:13 UTC
Are geckos useful in pvp and what's the smallest ship they are worth using against? Useless against small ships in general I take it?
Liam Inkuras
Furnace
#2 - 2015-08-09 14:23:33 UTC
Gecko strong drone, kill everything like rock vs. skull of pig

I wear my goggles at night.

Any spelling/grammatical errors come complimentary with my typing on a phone

George Gouillot
MASS
Pandemic Horde
#3 - 2015-08-09 18:11:46 UTC
Delightful Delicacy wrote:
Are geckos useful in pvp and what's the smallest ship they are worth using against? Useless against small ships in general I take it?

yes, noobship, no
Cobbler Khan
Doomheim
#4 - 2015-08-09 18:55:40 UTC
They are great in most hulls with heavy drone bonuses and anything that has a big drone bay which will be fighting cruiser sized ships and up

I wouldnt use geckos vs anything smaller than a cruiser, and i wouldnt load geckos into my ship unless i didnt expect to lose it (like a stratios) they are too expencive to just throw out there
Demerius Xenocratus
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2015-08-12 03:44:23 UTC
The main problem with Geckos now is their price. ~140M for a pair. Don't use them if you are going into a high risk encounter.

That said, the Gecko-Tar remains a monster. With full nav skills, a drone nav comp and the Ishtar's hull bonuses, a Gecko will go over 4k m/s. And it will track anything that's not an AB fit frigate or T3D, and with webs it will still hit those often enough to kill them pretty quickly. With omni-damage.

If the price doesn't concern you, Geckos with VNI/Ishtar heavy drone bonuses are utterly demonic. The things they do to cruisers and larger don't even bear contemplation. They are also fairly common on the Stratios to get max DPS out of that 100 bandwidth, in addition to their other advantages in damage types and application. And of course a Rattlesnake bonuses Gecko hits like a gank fit cruiser with similar EHP.
Vimsy Vortis
Shoulda Checked Local
Break-A-Wish Foundation
#6 - 2015-08-12 12:30:16 UTC
Geckos from a.bonuses ship are utterly terrifying. Rattlesnake geckos are like having an entire other ship shooting you.
Lan Wang
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2015-08-12 12:51:57 UTC
yes 70mil drones are great to shoot at :)

Domination Nephilim - Angel Cartel

Calm down miner. As you pointed out, people think they can get away with stuff they would not in rl... Like for example illegal mining... - Ima Wreckyou*

Pax Deltari
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2015-08-13 16:08:43 UTC
Geckos practically one shot T3 Destroyers.
Delightful Delicacy
Doomheim
#9 - 2015-08-13 16:23:05 UTC
Pax Deltari wrote:

Not moving and no mods fitted I am sure they do.
Cobbler Khan
Doomheim
#10 - 2015-08-13 16:32:13 UTC
Demerius Xenocratus wrote:
The main problem with Geckos now is their price. ~140M for a pair. Don't use them if you are going into a high risk encounter.

That said, the Gecko-Tar remains a monster. With full nav skills, a drone nav comp and the Ishtar's hull bonuses, a Gecko will go over 4k m/s. And it will track anything that's not an AB fit frigate or T3D, and with webs it will still hit those often enough to kill them pretty quickly. With omni-damage.

If the price doesn't concern you, Geckos with VNI/Ishtar heavy drone bonuses are utterly demonic. The things they do to cruisers and larger don't even bear contemplation. They are also fairly common on the Stratios to get max DPS out of that 100 bandwidth, in addition to their other advantages in damage types and application. And of course a Rattlesnake bonuses Gecko hits like a gank fit cruiser with similar EHP.

I lost one last night to a DED site.

I cri erytime
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#11 - 2015-08-13 16:56:56 UTC
Pax Deltari wrote:

actually a rattlesnake with tracking mods is pretty ****ing scary for a t3d when there are geckos out.

they can easily strip your armour if you happen to bounce off of something when they fire,
Cara Forelli
State War Academy
Caldari State
#12 - 2015-08-13 18:39:23 UTC
Pax Deltari wrote:

Geckos have no issue tracking small ships. I've been one-shot in an AB bomber with mid grade halos. And they do so much damage it doesn't take very many hits to count. Do not underestimate their tracking.

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament

Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2015-08-13 20:15:24 UTC
I think Gecko tracking is on par with berserkers and move about as fast too.

Pax Deltari
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2015-08-13 20:39:17 UTC
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
Pax Deltari wrote:

actually a rattlesnake with tracking mods is pretty ****ing scary for a t3d when there are geckos out.

they can easily strip your armour if you happen to bounce off of something when they fire,

Yeah no.. Geckos beat the **** out of them. Makes the Rattlesnake a great great counter for gangs of T3 Destroyers. Just have to fit a strong buffer and a MJD. Overheated Faction Webifier allows you to stop anyone scramming you in their tracks while your Gecko one or two shots them. If you are hunting T3D's you should have Rapid lights fit to 2-3 vollies and a gecko shot just obliterate them. If things get dicey and you're out of people with Scrams to pop like High Sec Belt rats you can just micro derp out and be on your way.
Demerius Xenocratus
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2015-08-14 02:42:40 UTC
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
I think Gecko tracking is on par with berserkers and move about as fast too.

See my above post. With full drone nav skills, HAC's at 4 and a drone nav comp, Geckos off my Ishtar do 4066 m/s.

And in my experience they out-track hammerheads. Even if they miss every other volley, they hit SO hard and do all damage types.

I headshot a Sentinel with a Gecko Ishtar. Dunno if he was moving but he was in his pod by the second volley.

I wish I'd bought alot more when they were cheap.
Delightful Delicacy
Doomheim
#16 - 2015-08-14 11:03:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Delightful Delicacy
Cara Forelli wrote:
Pax Deltari wrote:

Geckos have no issue tracking small ships. I've been one-shot in an AB bomber with mid grade halos. And they do so much damage it doesn't take very many hits to count. Do not underestimate their tracking.

An afterburner bomber is miles away in terms of defense from a 40 sig radius 1500 ms 1mn afterburner Svipul with 88-90% resists and 50k ehp.
Colt Blackhawk
Doomheim
#17 - 2015-08-14 11:13:43 UTC
Cara Forelli wrote:
Pax Deltari wrote:

An afterburner bomber is miles away in terms of defense from a 40 sig radius 1500 ms 1mn afterburner Svipul with 88-90% resists and 50k ehp.

m/s is velocity. Goddam!!!!

[09:04:53] Ashira Twilight > Plant the f****** amarr flag and s*** on their smoking wrecks.

Switch Savage
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2015-08-14 13:04:45 UTC
Cara Forelli wrote:
Pax Deltari wrote:

Are you just pulling numbers out of your backside? Even with full shield links you are not getting 50k ehp whilst still maintaining some semblance of utility. Geckos with their native 0.85 tracking still smash T3Ds once webbed and that's on drone boats without a tracking bonus.
Cara Forelli
State War Academy
Caldari State
#19 - 2015-08-14 14:14:16 UTC
Cara Forelli wrote:
Pax Deltari wrote:

Lol. Those numbers are not based in reality.

It was just an example. I never said anything about T3Ds. Feel free to take your svipul up against a rattlesnake though. Let me know how it goes.

PS I killed the rattle in my AB bomber. It was his friend in the second rattle that did me in.

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament

Delightful Delicacy
Doomheim
#20 - 2015-08-14 14:27:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Delightful Delicacy
Cara Forelli wrote:
Cara Forelli wrote:
Pax Deltari wrote:

Lol. Those numbers are not based in reality.

It was just an example. I never said anything about T3Ds. Feel free to take your svipul up against a rattlesnake though. Let me know how it goes.

PS I killed the rattle in my AB bomber. It was his friend in the second rattle that did me in.

With max links command ships level 5 boost, my Svipul with a single 200m isk overheated pith invuln field and caldari navy MSE and T2 shield rigs my gets those stats.
12Next page