These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Crime & Punishment

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Crime and Punishment Guidelines, Etiquette and In-Jokes

First post
Author
Bronson Hughes
The Knights of the Blessed Mother of Acceleration
#121 - 2015-08-13 03:39:19 UTC
Mobadder Thworst wrote:
Moon Moon Burdy wrote:
Tengu Grib wrote:

I'll also fight you anytime you like, assuming I'm free. You'll have to go easy on me though.

Much obliged. I'm sure my yet-to-develop skills will be more than easy enough for ya. Smile

Here is the truth about individual skill.

Most people pvp by clicking "orbit at 500" and then turning everything on.

There is a second tier of somewhat more skilled players who will use other ranges.

Every other tactic is essentially reserved for the 10% of the player base who bothers to learn game mechanics.

No matter how many SP I have, if you fly such that the game mechanics favor you, I will lose.
That means you need to be flying in profiles where I can't compete.

Once you accept that you can't out-brawl older players and start using finesse and tactics, you will start to see a lot of wins.

I cannot like this enough.

Relatively Notorious By Association

My Many Misadventures

I predicted FAUXs

Moon Moon Burdy
New Eden Tech Support
#122 - 2015-08-13 03:59:29 UTC
Mobadder Thworst wrote:
Moon Moon Burdy wrote:
Tengu Grib wrote:

I'll also fight you anytime you like, assuming I'm free. You'll have to go easy on me though.

Much obliged. I'm sure my yet-to-develop skills will be more than easy enough for ya. Smile

There is a second tier of somewhat more skilled players who will use other ranges.

Every other tactic is essentially reserved for the 10% of the player base who bothers to learn game mechanics.

No matter how many SP I have, if you fly such that the game mechanics favor you, I will lose.

Once you accept that you can't out-brawl older players and start using finesse and tactics, you will start to see a lot of wins.

I feel truly honored that y'all have taken the time and interest in my development to let me accidentally derail this thread. I have MMORPG experience going back for years. Seems like it's always the "bad guys" who are the most knowledgeable and willing to share said knowledge. I am encouraged, excited, and grateful.

When I referred to my "yet-to-develop skills" I meant my which-button-do-I-click-and-when skills rather than SP (although I really need to train thermodynamics, apparently that's an important thing). I have every confidence that I'll be developing the playing-the-game skills with C&P's help much faster than by doing missions. (those damn hyphens... feels like I'm overdoing it)

You folks are awesome. Thanks again for making me feel welcome.

Things that went boom

Storytime with Moon Moon New stories semi frequently-ish!

Promising Young Murderer, Education Appreciated.

Leto Thule
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#123 - 2015-08-13 04:18:51 UTC
Moon Moon Burdy wrote:

Seems like it's always the "bad guys" who are the most knowledgeable and willing to share said knowledge.

You will enjoy the game so much more than those guys who think bad guys in game are bad people IRL. Our little community here promotes spaceship violence for fun and profit, tears or laughs, stats and efficient killboards, or whatever your fancy. I hope you will stick around. Bring some friends.

Thunderdome ringmaster, Community Leader and Lord Inquisitor to the Court of Crime and Punishment

Noragen Neirfallas
Emotional Net Loss
#124 - 2015-08-13 04:39:08 UTC
Leto Thule wrote:
Moon Moon Burdy wrote:

Seems like it's always the "bad guys" who are the most knowledgeable and willing to share said knowledge.

You will enjoy the game so much more than those guys who think bad guys in game are bad people IRL. Our little community here promotes spaceship violence for fun and profit, tears or laughs, stats and efficient killboards, or whatever your fancy. I hope you will stick around. Bring some friends.

I denounce stats and efficient killboards. Having them is nice I guess but aiming for them is bad IMO

Member and Judge of the Court of Crime and Punishment

Noragens basically the Chribba of C&P - Zimmy Zeta

Confirming that we all play in Noragen's eve. - BeBopAReBop

ISD Buldath favorite ISD

'"****station games" - Sun Tzu' - Ralph King Griffin

Kaldi Tsukaya
Deveron Shipyards and Technology
Citizen's Star Republic
#125 - 2015-08-13 06:22:07 UTC
The ability to laugh at oneself is the most under-rated of all skills.

Badman Lasermouse
Run and Gun Mercenary Corps
#126 - 2015-08-13 06:22:41 UTC
Noragen Neirfallas wrote:
Mobadder Thworst wrote:
Moon Moon Burdy wrote:
Tengu Grib wrote:

Double this lol.

Follow this mans advice and you just won Eve online.

-Badman

Leto Thule
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#127 - 2015-08-13 11:38:56 UTC
Leto Thule wrote:
Moon Moon Burdy wrote:

I denounce stats and efficient killboards. Having them is nice I guess but aiming for them is bad IMO

I agree. I don't give two ***** about my KDR. Some do, however.

Ships are ammo.

Thunderdome ringmaster, Community Leader and Lord Inquisitor to the Court of Crime and Punishment

Bronson Hughes
The Knights of the Blessed Mother of Acceleration
#128 - 2015-08-13 13:02:33 UTC
Moon Moon Burdy wrote:

You'll soon find that the so-called "bad guys" are the ones playing to have fun. We like to help others have fun too, so we are typically more than willing to help new folks who ask.

Mind you, this may well involve shooting you in the face, but such is EvE. Pirate

Relatively Notorious By Association

My Many Misadventures

I predicted FAUXs

Vimsy Vortis
Shoulda Checked Local
Break-A-Wish Foundation
#129 - 2015-08-13 13:35:09 UTC
Moon Moon Burdy wrote:

I will literally provide detailed instructions on how to kill specific people in my alliance on request.

We are people who are interested in there being fun stuff happening in the game, rather than being interested in being left alone to endlessly grind for isk. Subsequently when someone needs to know how to make something blow up it is in our interest to help you make that happen.
Noragen Neirfallas
Emotional Net Loss
#130 - 2015-08-13 15:07:41 UTC
Leto Thule wrote:

Ships are ammo.

Somebody clearly hasn't assembled and fit hundreds of newbro frigs Lol

CoolCool

ISD Buldath favorite ISD

Leto Thule
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#131 - 2015-08-13 20:53:37 UTC
Leto Thule wrote:

Ships are ammo.

Somebody clearly hasn't assembled and fit hundreds of newbro frigs Lol

CoolCool

You are right. I would have given them the money and forced them to do it themselves.

Mobadder Thworst
Doomheim
#132 - 2015-08-13 21:32:32 UTC
Bronson Hughes wrote:
Moon Moon Burdy wrote:

You'll soon find that the so-called "bad guys" are the ones playing to have fun. We like to help others have fun too, so we are typically more than willing to help new folks who ask.

Mind you, this may well involve shooting you in the face, but such is EvE. Pirate

The PVE community thinks we are bad to noobs. Honestly, I think they're bad to noobs.

I bring the fundamental gameplay of this game to anyone willing to participate (and I'm flexible on the term willing, depending on circumstances.)

I have been in PVE corps. They work so hard to create a theme park experience for their members that they usually end up making the game seem like a chore. It always ends up being the rough equivalent of a pyramid scheme where the people who are getting washed out of the game are "protected" from the only parts of the game that are fun. Also, the profits of their "grinding" typically don't even end up in their pockets.

I define "play" as doing what you want. Whether you are told not to undock in a war, told to salvage for hours on end to share benefit, or to prticipate in mining... You aren't really playing.

I advise noobs to quit any corp that ever orders you not to play. You paid, get your ass in the sandbox and do whatever you want.
Moon Moon Burdy
New Eden Tech Support
#133 - 2015-08-13 22:03:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Moon Moon Burdy
Mobadder Thworst wrote:
Bronson Hughes wrote:
Moon Moon Burdy wrote:

The PVE community thinks we are bad to noobs. Honestly, I think they're bad to noobs.

This raises a question. How does the PVP community view players who want to do it all? The heart racing PVP excitement, the serene (mind numbing) calm of mining rocks so one can make rockets to shoot at people, the tedium of running missions to raise standing to get locator agents...

Is it all or nothing? Carebear or "bad guy?" Or is it more "play as you like and don't cry about it when someone plays as they like and it conflicts with your desires".

I ask because I want to spend my time with like-minded folks, learning to pvp and then doing so, like, a lot.
But, I also want to chill and stare at rocks sometimes. Is it acceptable to have a Hardened Industrial Alt in a carebear corp while my main lives a glorious life of pew pew?

edit: clarified a question

Things that went boom

Storytime with Moon Moon New stories semi frequently-ish!

Promising Young Murderer, Education Appreciated.

Mobadder Thworst
Doomheim
#134 - 2015-08-13 22:11:25 UTC
Moon Moon Burdy wrote:
Mobadder Thworst wrote:
Bronson Hughes wrote:
Moon Moon Burdy wrote:

This raises a question. How does the PVP community view players who want to do it all? The heart racing PVP excitement, the serene (mind numbing) calm of mining rocks so one can make rockets to shoot at people, the tedium of running missions to raise standing to get locator agents...

Is it all or nothing? Carebear or "bad guy?" Or is it more "play as you like and don't cry about it when someone plays as they like and it conflicts with your desires".

I ask because I want to spend my time with like-minded folks, learning to pvp and then doing so, like, a lot.
But, I also want to chill and stare at rocks sometimes. Is it acceptable to have a Hardened Industrial Alt in a carebear corp while my main lives a glorious life of pew pew?

I support doing your own thing. I did.

I lived in wormholes, low, null, mined, missions, etc... All with a degree of focus at the time.

I don't avoid mining because I'm above it, I just did it and don't want to anymore.

Play your way. To hell with anyone who says otherwise.

Badman Lasermouse
Run and Gun Mercenary Corps
#135 - 2015-08-13 22:28:23 UTC
Moon Moon Burdy wrote:
Mobadder Thworst wrote:
Bronson Hughes wrote:
Moon Moon Burdy wrote:

At the end of the day Eve is a game of specialization. You can do everything, if you have enough time. The SP grind is still a grind. If you want to do something extremely well, and do it quickly it will force you to specialize (or sub more toons). I just cracked 30 Million SP myself, not a lot by most standards but I do well because I knew what I wanted to do before I even started.

Don't take this as me telling you not to diversify, just keep in mind that your return on investment will take a bit longer.

-Badman

Noragen Neirfallas
Emotional Net Loss
#136 - 2015-08-13 22:38:55 UTC
Moon Moon Burdy wrote:
Mobadder Thworst wrote:
Bronson Hughes wrote:
Moon Moon Burdy wrote:

Carebears dont defend what they want. If you do it 'all' and defend what is yours and/or take from others your not a bear imo.

As a side note if you are going to get locater agents on a pvp toon don't get them in corps that can be NPC corps. The standings hit for podding npc players even legally is harsh

ISD Buldath favorite ISD

Leto Thule
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#137 - 2015-08-13 23:04:00 UTC
Moon Moon Burdy wrote:
Mobadder Thworst wrote:
Bronson Hughes wrote:
Moon Moon Burdy wrote:

I have two accounts. One (Leto) is my pvp pilot, the only one I really "play" on. My alts make money doing everything from ratting, exploration, hauling, etc.

To answer your question, not only is it OK, but its a fact of EVE you need to make ISK. Unless you spend RL money on PLEX. As others pointed out, carebears, for the most part, only want to make ISK. Everyone else makes ISK for the purpose of using it to fight with or otherwise create content, and are acceptable with the consequences of undocking.

Mag's
Azn Empire
#138 - 2015-08-13 23:07:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Mag's
Moon Moon Burdy wrote:

Whilst certain activities in Eve tend to be focused on by carebears, doing them doesn't make you one.

Carebear is a state of mind, rather than a slight to your play. It's the attitude of wanting freedom, but then to balk at that being a two way Street.
It's about constantly asking for others freedoms to be reduced. It's about not looking to yourself or friends for help, but running to the forum and asking for hand holding mechanics from CCP.

It boils down to this.

"Just one more nerf and it will be balanced."

But we all know for a carebear, that request is never satisfied.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#139 - 2015-08-14 00:17:50 UTC
Moon Moon Burdy wrote:
There's definitely a middle ground between carebear and "bad guy", "play as you like and don't cry about it when someone plays as they like and it conflicts with your desires" is an apt description of that middle ground. Someone who plays in the middle ground is generally reviled by carebears and often accepted or even respected by the bad guys.

I play in the middle ground, carebears hate me because I don't subscribe to their beliefs even though I share their playstyle.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#140 - 2015-08-14 01:11:29 UTC
Moon Moon Burdy wrote:

Is it all or nothing? Carebear or "bad guy?"

Carebear and player are all or nothing. Because they're not really players, even they know that.

After that, you can choose what kind of player you want to be. There are a whole bunch of different types.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.