These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Thanks CCP, Elite Dangerous, and DLC

Author
Barrogh Habalu
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#21 - 2015-08-12 07:51:32 UTC
Kiandoshia wrote:
There was an attempt by a certain online platform to make money on mods people make as well =D

To be honest, that certain platform was just offering that - a platform for mod makers to sell their work.
I still don't quite get what was wrong about that.

Also, referring to the post above, E:D devs never stated that features they are adding as DLCs now would be anything else than paid expansions.
The problem with the game is that it will take a ton of DLCs (and money) to have something to do in it, apparently.
Tiberius Heth
Doomheim
#22 - 2015-08-12 08:40:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Tiberius Heth
Premium Beta crowd checking in, all DLC are free of charge and that includes beta access.

Also, as a non-sub game that isn't whoring itself out like Star Citizen I'd say that E:D is doing just fine without being dicks about it.
Retired Raver
Doomheim
#23 - 2015-08-12 08:43:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Retired Raver
Deleted, didn't mean to sound so snarky.
knobber Jobbler
State War Academy
Caldari State
#24 - 2015-08-12 09:17:01 UTC
Someone else said this but it sums up E:D perfectly: "E:D is a lake 1000 miles wide but an inch deep".
Celthric Kanerian
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#25 - 2015-08-12 09:34:53 UTC
After 4 years of EVE and £630 later, I still fully support the mavelous work that CCP makes for us.
...especially after they made the Vindi black again...
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#26 - 2015-08-12 09:43:32 UTC
Murkar Omaristos wrote:
Imma post right now just to say thank you to CCP. I downloaded Elite Dangerous recently, thinking it would be a good alternative game to play for when I'm bored of EVE. A lot of Null Sec people (including me) been really salty since Fozzie Sov and that certainly played a role. However - I downloaded elite thinking it would be awesome - it was advertised to eventually include things like planetary landing, atmospehric flight, etc. - which is awesome.

All those cool things (the reason I bought the game) were recently announced as DLC for the low price of £39.99, or a pass for all future expansions for ******* £130.00.

So I wanted to say thanks CCP for not being knobheads like the rest of the industry, and not forcing DLC down our throats. We may be salty, but we appreciate you guys for not following the status quo :)
So £130 for a lifetime of expansions is bad, but paying CCP £90-£120 per year is better? Remember, they have no sub cost. You pay for expansions in place of paying for a sub. All companies have to make money to continue operating.

Murkar Omaristos wrote:
Chainsaw Plankton wrote:
no DLC, but monthly sub instead... I've spent more than 130 on EVE.
yeah, so have I. However here I never feel like I've paid for something and not had it delivered with CCP. You know what you're getting. Selling something advertised for like £50 and then saying "oh, it's actually another £40 to get the thing we told you that you'd already paid for" is shady as ****.
You paid for fozziesov. They promised entertainment and delivered structure mining whack-a-mole. Thankfully EVE is F2P for long time vets. Once VR comes out properly and I hook that up with E:D, I'll probably drop down to being a filthy casual in EVE.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Primary This Rifter
Mutual Fund of the Something
#27 - 2015-08-12 10:42:02 UTC
Remiel Pollard wrote:
So let me get this straight.... they're adding features to the game that should have been there at launch and charging money for them? Yep, sounds like your typical everyday Kickstarter scam to me. Hands up everyone still crossing their fingers for SC?

At the rate we're going, SC will be more of a game than EVE in 2-3 years.
Salvos Rhoska
#28 - 2015-08-12 11:23:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Salvos Rhoska
Paying for something that does not exist is the pinnacle of risk.
The kickstarter community, in particular, confuses the hell out of me.
Ive learned though that apparently many people have far more expendable income than I do, and that many people will pay for dreams. Fine. They can fund it, and get a cheap tshirt. I wont till the product is there.

I prefer subscription models with free dlc (as in EVE), to paid DLC models.
Reason being that in the former you fund development, participate in risk together with the provider, and can stop doing that when your interests nonlonger coincide.
Whereas in the latter, DLC is almost always incentivised by advantages which even if you disagree with, you will have to pay inorder to remain competitive and enjoy all aspects of the product equally.

Im holding out on ED on principle till more multiplayer integration, even though I am very attracted to what I have seen so far of how comprehensive and immersive the entire starship experience is.

Same goes for SC. Ill gladly pay sub, but only for a product that is reasonable ready. I wont throw money down that well just in hope of some future iteration, especially if inorder to access it, Ill have to pay DLC as well as sub.
Lloyd Roses
Artificial Memories
#29 - 2015-08-12 11:29:22 UTC
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Hands up everyone still crossing their fingers for SC?

They said WASD flight controls. That's a taboo for an eve player.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#30 - 2015-08-12 11:31:06 UTC
You do tend to pay more for subs though. The problem I've always had with subs is that it's easy to forget how much you pay for them. There are many people who have paid several thousand dollars to play EVE and even if development isn't being done on things you like, you're still continuing to pay.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Twulf
Thunder Clap Industry
Militaires-Sans-Frontieres.
#31 - 2015-08-12 11:41:35 UTC
Murkar Omaristos wrote:
Imma post right now just to say thank you to CCP. I downloaded Elite Dangerous recently, thinking it would be a good alternative game to play for when I'm bored of EVE. A lot of Null Sec people (including me) been really salty since Fozzie Sov and that certainly played a role. However - I downloaded elite thinking it would be awesome - it was advertised to eventually include things like planetary landing, atmospehric flight, etc. - which is awesome.

All those cool things (the reason I bought the game) were recently announced as DLC for the low price of £39.99, or a pass for all future expansions for ******* £130.00.

So I wanted to say thanks CCP for not being knobheads like the rest of the industry, and not forcing DLC down our throats. We may be salty, but we appreciate you guys for not following the status quo :)

Like others have said, you should have done some research instead of being an uninformed buyer, this has been known for a long time, sorry you are too lazy or stupid to research what you spend your money on.

ED is fun, not a great game but a good game.
Barrogh Habalu
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#32 - 2015-08-12 11:42:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Barrogh Habalu
Lucas Kell wrote:
So £130 for a lifetime of expansions is bad, but paying CCP £90-£120 per year is better?

Depends on whether your lifetime in E:D lasts more than a year, I guess.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#33 - 2015-08-12 11:45:29 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Pff… E:D is going about it all wrong. The way forward these days is obviously to sell people jpegs for $5,000. P

And people thought EVE had some crazy scams. I still shake my head whenever I recall the space house plant.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#34 - 2015-08-12 12:07:24 UTC
Yourmoney Mywallet wrote:
Tippia wrote:
I suppose I could do that…

…or…

These guys are literally the worst. Worse than EA, which according to the standard model of gaming physics shouldn't even be possible.

Swimming in money, too. Just think of all the MSFS lemmings who're about to shove more money down their throats.

At least the TrainSim guys have some kind of excuse and historical reasoning behind their business model. They're going for the model train market where, at the extreme end, a single engine can cost almost as much as all that DLC. Sure, we get into the whole “hand-crafted super-detailed working micro-machinery vs. infinitely reproducible digital download” at that point, but they know their market and they price their stuff accordingly.

Similarly, on other parts of the sim spectrum, we have stuff like this for the flight fanatics and these guys for the driver nuts — each happy to take your $5,000 for a fully kitted-out set. Simulation accessories has always been a funny business. P

Primary This Rifter wrote:
At the rate we're going, SC will be more of a game than EVE in 2-3 years.

So EVE will be dead in 1 year so it'll have time to be buried and rot into some kind of undead anti-game?
Salvos Rhoska
#35 - 2015-08-12 12:30:31 UTC
As funds to SC have shown, the market for a really tuned to the gills space flight version of MSFS is enormously lucrative, even and especially before you release your product!

The market is so fanatical, that its become more lucrative to simply continue development indefinately while milking free funds, than it is to release it.

The peripherals market also is all in, as well as them pioneering VR peripherals specifically for this marke in conjunction with space flight sims as the leading genre. Gunjack, Valkyrie, ED, SC, all space sims and all connected to VR.

Far cry from when I remember trying a ****** VR boxing sim in a mall sometime in the 90s.
Brown Pathfinder
Black Spot on Parchment
#36 - 2015-08-12 14:33:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Brown Pathfinder
star citizen looks intresting but I only bought 1 ship and sticking with it until its released 50% playable so i get a feel of the game Smile
By that i dont mean the current fish tank experience..
Eve will stay alive for at least 3 years + imo Smile
0bama Barack Hussein
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#37 - 2015-08-12 14:41:44 UTC
I love Elite (all of them, can´t wait planets opening up in newest), but gotta say I love EvE too (and can afford to keep on playing it, pretty easy to get isk even afk to PLEX account), so...

Can i has your stuff? Or too late?
Skeln Thargensen
Doomheim
#38 - 2015-08-12 14:46:23 UTC
the thing about elite is that it's amazingly like elite and not so much like eve which i believe has been the misunderstanding all along.

also commander backer master race so don't care \o/

forums.  serious business.

Kuronaga
The Dead Parrot Shoppe Inc.
The Chicken Coop
#39 - 2015-08-12 15:33:32 UTC
Murkar Omaristos wrote:

Considering ED doesn't have a monthly subscription, I'd say you're looking at it the entirely wrong way.

They don't owe you content, therefore you're getting quite a good deal with them.

CCP on the other hand, charges a monthly subscription and has barely any content in their updates to speak of.

At the end of the year, how much will you have paid to CCP for that lack of content you've been receiving? Hmmmm...
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#40 - 2015-08-12 15:36:50 UTC
Kuronaga wrote:
Murkar Omaristos wrote:

Considering ED doesn't have a monthly subscription, I'd say you're looking at it the entirely wrong way.

They don't owe you content, therefore you're getting quite a good deal with them.

CCP on the other hand, charges a monthly subscription and has barely any content in their updates to speak of.

At the end of the year, how much will you have paid to CCP for that lack of content you've been receiving? Hmmmm...

CCP charge a monthly subscription for access to the servers to play the game. The updates are free. While we're comparing content though, I do laugh a little when someone makes like EVE has less than Elite in any way shape or form.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104