These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page
 

Launcher hijacked by adverts

First post
Author
Shifty Talvanen
Waddling Ducks
#1 - 2015-08-10 14:48:50 UTC
Everytime I try to log in with the launcher it goes to adverts. Uninstalled Eve then re-installed but still having problems with the launcher. I now have to use the bin file to log in.

Any advice please?
Commander Spurty
#2 - 2015-08-10 14:52:53 UTC
Remove the malware on your computer

Malware bytes and some other tools will help

There are good ships,

And wood ships,

And ships that sail the sea

But the best ships are Spaceships

Built by CCP

Miomeifeng Alduin
Lithonauts Inc.
#3 - 2015-08-10 14:53:31 UTC
Run a virusscan. Or hell, just say screw it, format your pc, and reinstall it. It's the only way to be sure. (make sure to install noscript and adblock too, for your browser)

And the next time some site asks you permissions or to download something: say no!
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#4 - 2015-08-10 18:45:12 UTC
Check for, and disable any proxy.

Probably the #1 cause of EVE problems is stupid proxies installed by malware or "firewall" products.

http://goo.gl/3pbuHR

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/change-internet-explorer-proxy-server-settings
Brian Harrelstein
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#5 - 2015-08-10 22:47:40 UTC
Commander Spurty wrote:
Remove the malware on your computer

Malware bytes and some other tools will help


This. The backend of the launcher uses IE for the login box, so if you got your PC all buggered up, then it's going to affect the launcher too.
Vlad Draculesti
M4gnum P.I.
#6 - 2015-08-10 23:11:49 UTC
Shifty Talvanen wrote:
Everytime I try to log in with the launcher it goes to adverts. Uninstalled Eve then re-installed but still having problems with the launcher. I now have to use the bin file to log in.

Any advice please?



Download and install this.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/

Let it update itself. Run it.

Let it clean your PC.

Reboot.

Visit less dodgy porn / warez sites from now on so your PC does not get infected with Herpes.
Yang Aurilen
The Mjolnir Bloc
Templis CALSF
#7 - 2015-08-10 23:31:29 UTC
Internet Explorer still exists?

Post with your NPC alt main and not your main main alt!

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#8 - 2015-08-10 23:42:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Yang Aurilen wrote:
Internet Explorer still exists?
Internet Explorer is a misnomer, IE probably means Intentionally Exploitable which would have been difficult to market to consumers.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Celise Katelo
State War Academy
Caldari State
#9 - 2015-08-11 00:12:40 UTC
I use CCleaner P , it works really well i think.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

EVEBoard ...Just over 60million skill points, each skill was chosen for a reason. I closed my eyes & clicked another skill to train... "BINGO...!!!" ... "This time i got something usefull"

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#10 - 2015-08-11 01:11:02 UTC
Yang Aurilen wrote:
Internet Explorer still exists?

It is now called "Microsoft Edge" /facepalm
Orlacc
#11 - 2015-08-11 01:20:33 UTC
CCleaner does not remove viruses

"Measure Twice, Cut Once."

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#12 - 2015-08-11 01:27:07 UTC
Orlacc wrote:
CCleaner does not remove viruses
It's unlikely to be a virus but you're right CCleaner isn't the correct tool for this, it's not designed for it and the best it can do in this instance is clear out any temporary internet files.

ADWcleaner, ZHPcleaner and Malwarebytes are far more useful for this kind of thing.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Mag's
Azn Empire
#13 - 2015-08-11 03:17:33 UTC
Brian Harrelstein wrote:
Commander Spurty wrote:
Remove the malware on your computer

Malware bytes and some other tools will help


This. The backend of the launcher uses IE for the login box, so if you got your PC all buggered up, then it's going to affect the launcher too.
I didn't know about it using IE. As I have an aversion to its use, I'll be using the exe from now on.
Thanks for the info.

I was going to say that I'm amazed at the devs for using it, but nothing about CCP Web devs comes as a surprise anymore.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Yang Aurilen
The Mjolnir Bloc
Templis CALSF
#14 - 2015-08-11 03:21:01 UTC
Tau Cabalander wrote:
Yang Aurilen wrote:
Internet Explorer still exists?

It is now called "Microsoft Edge" /facepalm


Is the UI black and sharp and does it play linkin park every time you open it?

Post with your NPC alt main and not your main main alt!

Hipqo
Tyde8
#15 - 2015-08-11 06:53:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Hipqo
Like other have mentioned, use Malwarebytes Antimalware and CCleaner (cookies and other crap removal), and then run Adwcleaner to clean your browsers of adware aswell.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

A life is best lived, to not step into your grave in a well preserved body. Instead, to slide in side ways, all battered and bruised, screamming, "Holy SH**! What a ride!"

Jonas Kanjus
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#16 - 2015-08-11 07:35:03 UTC
Mag's wrote:
Brian Harrelstein wrote:
Commander Spurty wrote:
Remove the malware on your computer

Malware bytes and some other tools will help


This. The backend of the launcher uses IE for the login box, so if you got your PC all buggered up, then it's going to affect the launcher too.
I didn't know about it using IE. As I have an aversion to its use, I'll be using the exe from now on.
Thanks for the info.

I was going to say that I'm amazed at the devs for using it, but nothing about CCP Web devs comes as a surprise anymore.


You can use the exe file until CCP releases an update; then you'll have to use the launcher.

My start date to EVE Online: 6/25/2005 8:24:57 AM UTC

Celise Katelo
State War Academy
Caldari State
#17 - 2015-08-11 12:49:19 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Orlacc wrote:
CCleaner does not remove viruses
It's unlikely to be a virus but you're right CCleaner isn't the correct tool for this, it's not designed for it and the best it can do in this instance is clear out any temporary internet files.

ADWcleaner, ZHPcleaner and Malwarebytes are far more useful for this kind of thing.


It deletes cookies. Hence why i mention it. You understand what "cookies" do ? , or shall i explain Blink

EVEBoard ...Just over 60million skill points, each skill was chosen for a reason. I closed my eyes & clicked another skill to train... "BINGO...!!!" ... "This time i got something usefull"

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#18 - 2015-08-11 13:15:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Celise Katelo wrote:
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Orlacc wrote:
CCleaner does not remove viruses
It's unlikely to be a virus but you're right CCleaner isn't the correct tool for this, it's not designed for it and the best it can do in this instance is clear out any temporary internet files.

ADWcleaner, ZHPcleaner and Malwarebytes are far more useful for this kind of thing.


It deletes cookies. Hence why i mention it. You understand what "cookies" do ? , or shall i explain Blink
I'm well aware of what cookies do, they're normally included under the general heading of temporary internet files which I have acknowledged CCleaner is capable of clearing out. What CCleaner won't do is remove the browser hijacks/PuPs that are often the cause of problems like the OP's, hence the suggestion of using tools that will.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

CCP Darwin
C C P
C C P Alliance
#19 - 2015-08-11 13:41:29 UTC
Mag's wrote:
I didn't know about it using IE. As I have an aversion to its use, I'll be using the exe from now on.
Thanks for the info.

This is not accurate. The launcher uses the Chromium Embedded Framework library to render and display web content.

That said, malware which intercepts or redirects web content may impact the launcher, so if you see symptoms like this, it's worthwhile taking comprehensive measures to eliminate any malware which might be on your machine.

CCP Darwin  •  Senior Software Engineer, Art & Graphics, EVE Online  •  @mark_wilkins

Miomeifeng Alduin
Lithonauts Inc.
#20 - 2015-08-11 13:50:03 UTC
Be sure to change your passwords too, since they might be compromised (Mails, games, any password you used.)
12Next page