These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Stock up on those 100W Incandescent Light Bulbs!

First post
Author
Herr Wilkus
Aggressive Salvage Services LLC
#41 - 2012-01-02 02:07:52 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Herr Wilkus wrote:

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. I think we just have a lot of people here who buy into the eco-propaganda that we are spoon-fed by corporations and government agencies.

And last I checked at Walmart, you could get 4x 'soft white' 100W bulbs for $1.59.
A dimmable CFL, producing inferior quality light costs anywhere from $7-$12 dollars each (20-30x more)
A non-dimmable CFL, producing the same inferior light, costs 5x as much as the 40 cent incandescent.

I can pick one up for less than £2 and gives out the same light. Perhaps you should shop around more.

As for the eco-nut comments. The world is quickly steaming towards an energy crisis which will bring us to our knees and if people wont voluntarily change their ways they are going to have to be forced.

First, converting to Pounds, a 100W incandescent would cost about 25-30 P, if Brits were still allowed to buy them.
That means a non-dimmable CFL would have about 7x the cost. Where did you get confused? Was it the multiplication that stumped you?

Second, someone from a nation that insulates their homes as poorly as the UK, is hardly is in a position to lecture others on energy efficiency. (Yes, I've lived there, seriously its like R-16 fiberglass and extruded polyurethane had never been invented.)

Third, I REALLY like payoff in the second statement. Window into the mind of the Greens and people who think like them.

"If people won't voluntarily change their ways, they are going to have to be forced."

LOVE IT. Never stop posting. Blink

Tobias Sjodin
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#42 - 2012-01-02 02:08:05 UTC
I guess Obama is really awesome if the issue of lightbulbs is this big of an issue over there.

The rest of the civilized world are using LED-lamps and low energy lightbulbs that have longer lifetimes.
But I guess you're all mad about no longer using typewriters too?

Ronald Reagan: I do not like Sweden, they support communism. Minister: Sir, but Sweden are anti-communist, Sir.  Ronald Reagan: I do not care what kind of communists they are.

Herr Wilkus
#43 - 2012-01-02 02:14:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Herr Wilkus
Tobias Sjodin wrote:
I guess Obama is really awesome if the issue of lightbulbs is this big of an issue over there.

The rest of the civilized world are using LED-lamps and low energy lightbulbs that have longer lifetimes.

I wasn't aware that typewriters had been banned.
When did that happen? Can you show me where along the line typewriters were banned in favor of word processors?

To the best of my knowledge, anyone is free to buy, sell or manufacture a typewriter in the US.

You obviously aren't understanding the concepts being discussed here.
Lightnin
DieHarder LiveLonger Corporation
#44 - 2012-01-02 02:15:19 UTC
wow man my heads spinning with all this talk about a light bulb

get a light

Go Far Go In or Don't Go

Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#45 - 2012-01-02 02:17:08 UTC
ah yes, here we are in the first days of 2012, complaining about lightbulbs.

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#46 - 2012-01-02 02:28:36 UTC
Herr Wilkus wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Herr Wilkus wrote:

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. I think we just have a lot of people here who buy into the eco-propaganda that we are spoon-fed by corporations and government agencies.

And last I checked at Walmart, you could get 4x 'soft white' 100W bulbs for $1.59.
A dimmable CFL, producing inferior quality light costs anywhere from $7-$12 dollars each (20-30x more)
A non-dimmable CFL, producing the same inferior light, costs 5x as much as the 40 cent incandescent.

I can pick one up for less than £2 and gives out the same light. Perhaps you should shop around more.

As for the eco-nut comments. The world is quickly steaming towards an energy crisis which will bring us to our knees and if people wont voluntarily change their ways they are going to have to be forced.

First, converting to Pounds, a 100W incandescent would cost about 25-30 P, if Brits were still allowed to buy them.
That means a non-dimmable CFL would have about 7x the cost. Where did you get confused? Was it the multiplication that stumped you?

Second, someone from a nation that insulates their homes as poorly as the UK, is hardly is in a position to lecture others on energy efficiency. (Yes, I've lived there, seriously its like R-16 fiberglass and extruded polyurethane had never been invented.)

Third, I REALLY like payoff in the second statement. Window into the mind of the Greens and people who think like them.

"If people won't voluntarily change their ways, they are going to have to be forced."

LOVE IT. Never stop posting. Blink

As oppsed to the US plywood single pane funshacks?

Sorry but just about everyones house is not only insulated but also has double or triple glased windows and doors. We have no need for aircon and this winter I have barely used the heating. You must have stayed in a right hovel.

The statement you find so amusing is the truth. In our lifetime energy prices are going to skyrocket because while demand will go up greatly the sources of our energy will start to run out. This isnt a green argument its a simple fact of science. We are at least a decade away from fusion power if it is even possible and another decade after that before plants can be built and make an impact. Hydrogen cells for transport only need the investment to take over, the technology is almost ready but thattoo need time to get the infistructure in place which will take years. We are in for some very hard times and the world cannot just continue on as it has.

You are going to have a lot more laws and regulation coming your way no matter who is in power because they will have no option.
Tobias Sjodin
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#47 - 2012-01-02 03:37:25 UTC
Herr Wilkus wrote:
Tobias Sjodin wrote:

I wasn't aware that typewriters had been banned.
When did that happen? Can you show me where along the line typewriters were banned in favor of word processors?

To the best of my knowledge, anyone is free to buy, sell or manufacture a typewriter in the US.

You obviously aren't understanding the concepts being discussed here.

My point was that once new, more environment-friendly, more efficient technology appears the good thing is to adapt. The fact that the 100W incandescent lightbulb is banned is a sanity-check more than anything (just like the healthcare reformation).

But feel free to keep on with your ad hominem type-arguments.

My other point was that this is a pretty lame ass thing to get worked up about. If the point is that "your freedom" is somehow being taken away, then there are far greater examples of that in the U.S. other than lightbulbs that would at least make me extremely pissed off if I lived there. For example: SOPA, Marijuana legislation, New York state still having a ban on MMA, the fact that censorship is extremely prevalent, and that politics are so heavily influenced by private businesses/ventures that people with money can opt out of a lot of legal ****.

But hey! Let's worry about lightbulbs! I'm sure that is empowering to some people.

Ronald Reagan: I do not like Sweden, they support communism. Minister: Sir, but Sweden are anti-communist, Sir.  Ronald Reagan: I do not care what kind of communists they are.

Selinate
#48 - 2012-01-02 03:51:48 UTC
baltec1 wrote:

We are at least a decade away from fusion power if it is even possible and another decade after that before plants can be built and make an impact.

A decade? No no no. We are (however long it takes for idiots like the OP to realize that new energy sources are imperative for our survival + 20) years away from fusion power.
VKhaun Vex
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#49 - 2012-01-02 04:07:12 UTC  |  Edited by: VKhaun Vex
Slade Trillgon wrote:

VKhaun Vex wrote:
Why don't you make a new thread and link the part of the NDAA you think means that instead of hijacking a thread.

There is the fact that there is no clear cut definition of what a terrorist is and those in power could define it any way they see necessary to lock down any dissidents they choose to. So you are correct that the NDAA bill is not a clear cut violation of personal liberties in of itself, but the fact that it is very vague keeps the door cracked for massive violations of individual liberties.

Slade

'Fact' he says. But then can't quote anything. This is what happens when people read panic articles instead of the bill itself. No, you can not apply this bill to any citizen. Not even CLOSE. Note the careful and explicit wording 'belligerent', 'direct', 'substantially'. If you can fit those, you're supposed to.

Quote:
10 (e) AUTHORITIES.—Nothing in this section shall be
11 construed to affect existing law or authorities, relating to
12 the detention of United States citizens, lawful resident
13 aliens of the United States or any other persons who are
14 captured or arrested in the United States.
Quote:

15 Subtitle D—Detainee Matters
16 SEC. 1031. AFFIRMATION OF AUTHORITY OF THE ARMED
Quote:

3 (b) COVERED PERSONS.—A covered person under
4 this section is any person as follows:
5 (1) A person who planned, authorized, com
6 mitted, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred
7 on September 11, 2001, or harbored those respon
8 sible for those attacks.
9 (2) A person who was a part of or substantially
10 supported al-Qaeda, the Taliban, or associated forces
11 that are engaged in hostilities against the United
12 States or its coalition partners, including any person
13 who has committed a belligerent act or has directly
14 supported such hostilities in aid of such enemy
15 forces.

Charges Twilight fans with Ka-bar -Surfin's PlunderBunny LIIIIIIIIIIINNEEEEE PIIIEEEECCCCEEE!!!!!!! -Taedrin Using relativity to irrational numbers is smart -rodyas I no longer believe we landed on the moon. -Atticus Fynch

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#50 - 2012-01-02 04:16:44 UTC
Selinate wrote:

A decade? No no no. We are (however long it takes for idiots like the OP to realize that new energy sources are imperative for our survival + 20) years away from fusion power.

I'm a hopeless optimist.
Lithalnas
Dirt 'n' Glitter
Sedition.
#51 - 2012-01-02 06:00:36 UTC
baltec1 wrote:

As oppsed to the US plywood single pane funshacks?

Sorry but just about everyones house is not only insulated but also has double or triple glased windows and doors. We have no need for aircon and this winter I have barely used the heating. You must have stayed in a right hovel.

The statement you find so amusing is the truth. In our lifetime energy prices are going to skyrocket because while demand will go up greatly the sources of our energy will start to run out. This isnt a green argument its a simple fact of science. We are at least a decade away from fusion power if it is even possible and another decade after that before plants can be built and make an impact. Hydrogen cells for transport only need the investment to take over, the technology is almost ready but thattoo need time to get the infistructure in place which will take years. We are in for some very hard times and the world cannot just continue on as it has.

You are going to have a lot more laws and regulation coming your way no matter who is in power because they will have no option.

Do you have a science degree to back up your statements? First you state that energy sources are going to run out, according to publications we have enough coal and natural gas (possibly oil too) here in the united states to last for the next 200-1000 years and that includes population growth. We also have several thousand years worth of uranium ore that could be mined for powerplants.

Hydrogen cell do not work, they are not practical in any way shape or form and they are definitely not "only need the investment to take over". They are mainly shackled by the low power production per volume of the cell and they also require heavy pressurized tanks to store hydrogen. Also it should be asked on where hydrogen comes from, right now the most efficient in terms of cost AND energy usage is the natural gas/steam method. Energy is produced at an efficiency cost, then is used in the chemical process at an efficiency cost, and then go into distribution at an efficiency cost. Other fuels have only minor chemical and distribution costs and almost no input energy cost.

I have high hopes for fusion, but i do not think it will become reality, its just too harsh to get it to work, you quite literally need the core of a sun to make it work. NIF, or national ignition facility at Livermore labs has a big machine to make fusion happen, but word on the street is that it is really an excuse to develop lasers for the military.

https://www.facebook.com/RipSeanVileRatSmith shoot at blue for Vile Rat http://community.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=73406

Shivus Tao
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#52 - 2012-01-02 06:05:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Shivus Tao
Grimpak wrote:
ah yes, here we are in the first days of 2012, complaining about lightbulbs.

In fact, if this is the biggest complaint anyone can muster over the Obama presidency then he's one of the best presidents in the post Nixon era.

Obama = CCP
2012 = Crucible
Lightbulbs = new font
Alain Kinsella
#53 - 2012-01-02 07:30:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Alain Kinsella
Deciding what lights are best for *you* is the final point here. I agree with Akita though that taxing them into non-existence would have been better than an outright ban (direct or implied).

For example, I've worked overnight for over a decade now, and have to admit that 'Full Spectrum' CFLs are much better than their incandescent counterparts.

The first few winters were pretty hard on me, as I was unable to get enough 'natural' light and was prone to seasonal depression and lack of vitamin D. I've used both Halogens and CFLs over the years (and also own two Ott-Lights for common work areas). I refuse to get one of those 'light tables' - they're just huge. Shocked Far better to just replace most or every light I'll be near with Full-Spectrum CFLs, it's worked well for me.

Would I prefer 'normal' lights? Probably, but I've become accustomed to the whiter light that a CFL can generate. I'm watching LED developments but they rarely sell those in Full-Spectrum.

Edit - I just checked, I currently use 14W in pairs on a 4-bulb fan light, the other two are using 'Reveal' bulbs because this place is old wiring and did not like all four as CFLs. At the old place there was only a couple of lights, so they were 26+W (usually 150W equiv).

"The Meta Game does not stop at the game. Ever."

Currently Retired / Semi-Casual (pending changes to RL concerns).

Herr Wilkus
#54 - 2012-01-02 07:40:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Herr Wilkus
Running out of energy sources? Really? Fusion is the only answer? Seriously, put down the Star Trek uniform and read the newspapers for a change.

Setting aside the 500 year supply of coal within the United States alone....

Petroleum:
Heard of the Alberta Tar sands? Far more oil there than in the Middle East. And with current technology it represents a massive supply of oil that rivals Saudi Arabia. As technology and oil prices increase, even larger tracts of these bitumen deposits will be recoverable. Despite Obama's efforts to sabotage development of these fossil fuels (denying Keystone XL pipeline permits), petroleum sources are guaranteed for the forseeable future. Its impossible to overstate the massive supply of recoverable oil trapped in sands and shale. Alberta alone could provide supply the world's demands for 100 years or more.

Natural gas:

Many parts of the world are now swimming in cheap natural gas due to advances in extraction technology. 'Fracking' natural gas from shale beds has unlocked a gargantuan supply. New gas deposits are being located and coming online every day and gas prices are expected to drop. We are talking about reserves on a scale that could supply the sum total of US energy demand for at least 100 years - with CURRENT technology.

Yeah, environmentalists are unhappy with these developments, because they don't fit their drama queen bullshit storyline of "Peak Oil" and rapidly dwindling sources of energy forcing a crisis - in which RADICAL measures need to be taken to ration energy consumption.

But being butthurt about reality doesn't excuse you from pretending it doesn't exist. There IS NO LOOMING ENERGY SHORTAGE. Get it through your head.
Akita T
Caldari Navy Volunteer Task Force
#55 - 2012-01-02 11:01:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Akita T
To be fair, there is indeed no impending terminal energy crisis (as in "running out of very soon and nothing else is available").
What we are however facing is a slow but steady supply/demand shift which will cause a PRICE increase for energy in a lot of forms, but more importantly, a price increase for energy used as vehicle fuel.

Whatever oil there is, it's getting harder (and more expensive) to bring out and refine to an usable form, even if there is plenty of it in various places.
Coal might still be somewhat cheap, but it doesn't exactly lend itself for use in internal combustion vehicles.
Electric vehicles are not exactly "there" yet either and the price of materials for rechargeable batteries is not getting any lower.
Hydrogen is still a pretty "lossy" energy storage technique and is not exactly as safe to use as gasoline yet (not that gasoline is completely safe either) and requires a more expensive infrastructure.

The current (high) quality of life experienced by most people in the civilized world is linked to the availability of CHEAP energy.
So, in a manner of speaking, NOT getting cheap energy IS a sort of crisis, because it will lead to a decline in living standards - more expensive almost everythings (but mainly food and consumables), negligible additional income, stuff like that.

It's only a matter of what exactly does qualify as an energy crisis.
For some people in the USofA, gas prices going from US levels (3-3.5$/gallon) to European levels (7-8$/gallon) alongside a similar hike in utility bills (regardless of the continued availability of service) would already constitute a pretty major crisis.
Definitions are a b**ch.
Jhagiti Tyran
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#56 - 2012-01-02 11:01:36 UTC
Herr Wilkus wrote:

The UK is better insulated than the US by far, Every single council house has cavity wall insulation, double glazed windows and thick loft insulation. Private home owners where given massive subsidies to fit the same. US houses are just plywood boards nailed to some 2 by 4s with a bit of insulation between. Every single council house here also comes with energy saving rated central heating and hot water supply, and again private home owners got subsidies to modernise their heating.

I don't know when you lived here but over the last 15 years things have changed a lot, not everyone's thinking of the environment or anything but people are defiantly thinking about their cost of living and are making consumer choices that will help them to save energy.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#57 - 2012-01-02 11:02:44 UTC
Herr Wilkus wrote:
Running out of energy sources? Really? Fusion is the only answer? Seriously, put down the Star Trek uniform and read the newspapers for a change.

Petroleum:
Heard of the Alberta Tar sands? Far more oil there than in the Middle East. And with current technology it represents a massive supply of oil that rivals Saudi Arabia. As technology and oil prices increase, even larger tracts of these bitumen deposits will be recoverable. Despite Obama's efforts to sabotage development of these fossil fuels (denying Keystone XL pipeline permits), petroleum sources are guaranteed for the forseeable future. Its impossible to overstate the massive supply of recoverable oil trapped in sands and shale. Alberta alone could provide supply the world's demands for 100 years or more.

Natural gas:

Many parts of the world are now swimming in cheap natural gas due to advances in extraction technology. 'Fracking' natural gas from shale beds has unlocked a gargantuan supply. New gas deposits are being located and coming online every day and gas prices are expected to drop. We are talking about reserves on a scale that could supply the sum total of US energy demand for at least 100 years - with CURRENT technology.

Yeah, environmentalists are unhappy with these developments, because they don't fit their drama queen bullshit storyline of "Peak Oil" and rapidly dwindling sources of energy forcing a crisis - in which RADICAL measures need to be taken to ration energy consumption.

But being butthurt about reality doesn't excuse you from pretending it doesn't exist. There IS NO LOOMING ENERGY SHORTAGE. Get it through your head.

India, China and south Americas demand for energy will double in the next 5 years alone and all of the easy supplies are just about gone. It is going to cost more and more to get it out of the ground and need more and more energy to do it.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#58 - 2012-01-02 11:20:16 UTC
Lithalnas wrote:

First you state that energy sources are going to run out, according to publications we have enough coal and natural gas (possibly oil too) here in the united states to last for the next 200-1000 years and that includes population growth. We also have several thousand years worth of uranium ore that could be mined for powerplants.

Those publications do not factor in cost of getting those stocks out of the ground or the growth of the rest of the planets needs.

Quote:

Hydrogen cell do not work, they are not practical in any way shape or form and they are definitely not "only need the investment to take over". They are mainly shackled by the low power production per volume of the cell and they also require heavy pressurized tanks to store hydrogen. Also it should be asked on where hydrogen comes from, right now the most efficient in terms of cost AND energy usage is the natural gas/steam method. Energy is produced at an efficiency cost, then is used in the chemical process at an efficiency cost, and then go into distribution at an efficiency cost. Other fuels have only minor chemical and distribution costs and almost no input energy cost.

Hydrogen cells not only work but they give simlar range to current cars and iceland is starting to build the infistructure to convert all of its cars to hydrogen and will be the first 100% fossil fuel free nation which will mean it will have the cheapest energy going.

Quote:

I have high hopes for fusion, but i do not think it will become reality, its just too harsh to get it to work, you quite literally need the core of a sun to make it work. NIF, or national ignition facility at Livermore labs has a big machine to make fusion happen, but word on the street is that it is really an excuse to develop lasers for the military.

We are building another type of fusion generator in France that uses plasma. It should be the first that can produce more power than it uses and also run for around 30 min. If both technologies fail then we are in real trouble.
Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#59 - 2012-01-02 11:26:06 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Herr Wilkus wrote:

Petroleum:

Natural gas:

India, China and south Americas demand for energy will double in the next 5 years alone and all of the easy supplies are just about gone. It is going to cost more and more to get it out of the ground and need more and more energy to do it.

both are right.

there is no looming energy shortage for the foreseeable future, but the cheap, easy to extract oil/gas is dwindling fast.

this will make everything more expensive, and considering that the cheap oil and gas is mostly on the OPEC, in all honesty, I can expect these countries to fall into a crisis due to the fact that their economy is mostly based on oil exportations.

TL;DR, there's still quite a huge ammout of petrol, it's just that it'll be harder, and thus more expensive to extract, and the end of the "cheap energy" era will bring economical, and thus social, upheval to the, already war-battered near and middle east, if not the entire world.

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Sidus Isaacs
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#60 - 2012-01-02 13:48:26 UTC
Cynosural Siiri wrote:

What? Are they really banning lightbulbs? Some serious stupidity going on in the US the last few years. I know they banned them awhile ago in Scandinavia, but figured they had more sense in the USA. But I suppose if they vote in idiots, idiotic policies like this one are what they get. Lol

Only some of them. They made a difference between the clear glass and not clear glass ones. I bought some clear glass regular bulbs yesterday.

The make the bulbs so crappy these days so I need to buy several a year (planned obsolecence ftl).

But did not the new "eco friendly" ones have mercury in them?