These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Assembly Hall

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Collective petition about fozziesov

First post First post First post
Author
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#301 - 2015-08-04 03:34:27 UTC
Eli Stan wrote:

We are less than three weeks into Aegis. Some people are just having fun with it by trolling. Others are having trouble adjusting. It will take some time for the borders and tactics of alliances to adjust to what their pain threshold can withstand for defending.

Ok lets get this part straight. You think that in a game called EVE Online, people are going to somehow eventually get tired of trolling.......

Are you new here?
Eli Stan
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#302 - 2015-08-04 03:40:52 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Eli Stan wrote:

We are less than three weeks into Aegis. Some people are just having fun with it by trolling. Others are having trouble adjusting. It will take some time for the borders and tactics of alliances to adjust to what their pain threshold can withstand for defending.

Ok lets get this part straight. You think that in a game called EVE Online, people are going to somehow eventually get tired of trolling.......

Are you new here?

Where did I say trolling would stop? Note that I only mentioned changes on the sov holder's part. I think - no, I hope - that the people being trolled will figure out how to deal with it easily. But maybe salty posts by sov holders getting trolled will become as common as salty posts by haulers getting ganked. -shrug-
Falin Whalen
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#303 - 2015-08-04 03:46:03 UTC
Eli Stan wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
I forgot that to hold sov we're supposed to stand guard on the TCU and IHUB and station constantly in every single system we own so that if someone shows up we don't have to switch ships and fly around after them.
Well, yes! That's exactly it! You're starting to see! That's the very definition of occupancy sov. I think you still have the cause and effect backwards, however. You don't live in a system because you want to defend it - you defend a system because you want to live in it.

Quote:
I don't care if it ends up that we can only hold half the space we do, but defending shouldn't be more of a chore than attacking, shouldn't require more committed resources than attacking, and both sides of the mechanic should be entertaining and promote meaningful conflict.
Defending a system you live in from a trollceptor is not a chore and does not require committing significant resources.

Waking up every morning and having to clean up the mess made while you were asleep is boring. Yay now you have to stand guard to prevent someone making a mess, who doesn't even want your sov. Hey a solution that is even more boring than watching pant dry. No fun allowed, you got guard duty for X hours. Exciting gameplay there I tell you what. This is supposed to be a God damned game, not a second job, but hey, I guess CCP is taking EVE is real to a whole new level.

"it's only because of their stupidity that they're able to be so sure of themselves." The Trial - Franz Kafka 

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#304 - 2015-08-04 04:23:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
I'm giving 7-to-1 odds that Lucas wears you all out...he is a tireless poster and is worse than the energizer bunny.

You have been warned. P

I haven't checked, but I bet he is still posting in the thread about broadcating/multiplexing...even if nobody else is. Big smile

Hah, I was right although he is not the only one still posting to that thread.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#305 - 2015-08-04 04:23:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
Falin Whalen wrote:
Waking up every morning and having to clean up the mess made while you were asleep is boring[/url]. Yay now you have to stand guard to prevent someone making a mess, who doesn't even want your sov. Hey a solution that is even more boring than watching pant dry. No fun allowed, you got guard duty for X hours.

If your alliance is asleep during your vulnerability period, whomever chose that period is stupid.

CCP Fozzie wrote:
A system with Military and Industrial each at 1 would already have shrunk its vulnerability window all the way to 8.18 hours. A system with Military 5 and Strategic 5 (quite common) would have a vulnerability window of 4 hours.

So for 4 hours a day you are incapable of having at least one person per structure in system to stop capture? Roll No need for guard-duty, just home-defense by whomever is ...err... home.

Miners, ratters, or alts... it doesn't take much. Oh, and you have 50 minutes to respond at ADM 5.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#306 - 2015-08-04 04:28:59 UTC
Tau Cabalander wrote:
Falin Whalen wrote:
Waking up every morning and having to clean up the mess made while you were asleep is boring[/url]. Yay now you have to stand guard to prevent someone making a mess, who doesn't even want your sov. Hey a solution that is even more boring than watching pant dry. No fun allowed, you got guard duty for X hours.

If your alliance is asleep during your vulnerability period, whomever chose that period is stupid.

CCP Fozzie wrote:
A system with Military and Industrial each at 1 would already have shrunk its vulnerability window all the way to 8.18 hours. A system with Military 5 and Strategic 5 (quite common) would have a vulnerability window of 4 hours.

So for 4 hours a day you are incapable of having at least one person per structure in system to stop capture? Roll

Miners, ratters, or alts... it doesn't take much. Oh, and you have 50 minutes to respond at ADM 5.

To be fair, Goonswarm is a BIG™ Alliance, so it it is almost surely the case that for many in the alliance that they are asleep when the systems are vulnerable.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#307 - 2015-08-04 05:41:03 UTC
Eli Stan wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Eli Stan wrote:

Are you new here?

Where did I say trolling would stop? Note that I only mentioned changes on the sov holder's part. I think - no, I hope - that the people being trolled will figure out how to deal with it easily. But maybe salty posts by sov holders getting trolled will become as common as salty posts by haulers getting ganked. -shrug-

Jenn only reads what she thinks you said then decides to go all superior on it, gives me hours of fun when I am AFK cloaky camped, especially when she throws in just how good at PvE she is, just you wait, you will get that soon if you continue to post, she has her PvE eye on you... You quite rightly pointed out that people would either sort themselves out to deal with it or decide to walk away, and the trolls would have to up their game.

On another note I am still laughing at the people complaining about trolling interceptors, they are so easy to stop its laughable, its the Arazu's and Loki's with oversized MWD's and 250 km locking range that are the real troll ships at least on sov that has no tender loving care, which as far as I am concerned is working as intended.

When the going gets tough the Gankers get their CSM rep to change mechanics in their favour.

Blocked: Teckos Pech, Sonya Corvinus, baltec1, Shae Tadaruwa, Wander Prian, Daichi Yamato, Jonah Gravenstein, Merin Ryskin, Linus Gorp

Fatal pewpew
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#308 - 2015-08-04 06:24:48 UTC
Dracvlad wrote:

Jenn only reads what she thinks you said then decides to go all superior on it, gives me hours of fun when I am AFK cloaky camped, especially when she throws in just how good at PvE she is, just you wait, you will get that soon if you continue to post, she has her PvE eye on you... You quite rightly pointed out that people would either sort themselves out to deal with it or decide to walk away, and the trolls would have to up their game.

On another note I am still laughing at the people complaining about trolling interceptors, they are so easy to stop its laughable, its the Arazu's and Loki's with oversized MWD's and 250 km locking range that are the real troll ships at least on sov that has no tender loving care, which as far as I am concerned is working as intended.

im fine with people bringing lokis and arazus because at least its the opportunity to kill something a bit more expensive if done correctly.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#309 - 2015-08-04 06:52:33 UTC
Maldiro Selkurk wrote:
Let me assure you the simpleton is on your side the this issue. When someone makes a poor decision and pays a price and whines to CCP that some change needs to be made, you nullsec types tell them that, 'decisions in EVE have consequences" and that they should stop whining to CCP for changes when they only have themselves to blame.

Let me state that I agree with this statement, it is absolutely the right one to hold for this game.

Now we come to the part where apparently you are a bit thick-headed.

YOU (nullsec) chose non-aggression pacts, YOU chose not to fight your neighbors, YOU knew that your CHOICE was counter to the very fundamentals upon which this game stands.

You made bad CHOICES, now deal with the unpleasant consequences and stop whining to CCP !
"grr nullsec"

Working with others is not "counter to the very fundamentals upon which this game stands" and no matter what gets done, that's always going to exist. Being in a bigger, better organised group will always have an advantage. The idea of fozziesov was to compact the space us big groups took while encouraging people to take sov. What it's done instead is just encourage people to troll wit disposable ships to waste defenders time.

What's happening to this game has nothing to do with choices we've made. It's to do with CCP being unable to develop an entertaining system for dealing with system ownership and asshats like you cheering them on making the game as boring as possible out of some hatred for groups who work well together.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#310 - 2015-08-04 07:04:50 UTC
Eli Stan wrote:
Keep in mind that currently, they can't have sov. Regardless of how painful to the established alliances the tactics are, they nevertheless are effective tactics. Small groups get denied sov, get kicked out of sov, because of groups operating under the Dominion paradigm of keeping everything they can capture.
Yes they can. There's loads of places going spare at the moment. What they can't do is expect to snatch up sov on the border of one of the biggest coalitions and hold it without a fight. What they want is some system where a 100 man alliance can hold their space against a 30k member coalition without having to put in substantial effort. No matter what (reasonable) system they put in place that's never going to happen in a sandbox game. Don't get me wrong though, the systems as it stands encourages trolling over real attempts to take sov.

Eli Stan wrote:
Indeed, larger groups can harass and evict smaller groups. Just like groups can get evicted out of wormholes. Just like GROON or BOS or NOC could hellcamp CAS and if not in reality at least in effect erase us from Syndicate. And yet meaningful and exciting and significant conflict happen in wormholes and NPC null.
And yet it doesn't happen in sov null, because the system actively discourages meaningful conflict. Thanks for proving the point that it's the mechanics, not the players.

Eli Stan wrote:
Well, yes! That's exactly it! You're starting to see! That's the very definition of occupancy sov. I think you still have the cause and effect backwards, however. You don't live in a system because you want to defend it - you defend a system because you want to live in it.
LOL no it's not. The purpose of occupancy sov is for people to LIVE in their space, not stand idly in their space at all times just in case people come to get it. Games are for entertainment an the current system does nothing to promote that. Having to constantly reship and run around chasing cheap ships designed to be uncatchable is not entertaining. Seriously, I think you need to actually try the system out so you understand the level of boring involved in actively guarding sov.

Eli Stan wrote:
Defending a system you live in from a trollceptor is not a chore and does not require committing significant resources.
See, you keep underselling it. If the problem was defending one system from one trollceptor, then yeah, there'd be no problem. The problem with disposable ships is that what you end up defending against is constant trollceptors. Just look at the timerboards for how many timers are going. Those are just the ones that slipped through, and I guarantee that only a tiny minority are from people actually interested in taking space.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#311 - 2015-08-04 07:08:50 UTC
Maldiro Selkurk wrote:
Destroying the will of an enemy to fight is a core combat technique even in the real world, certainly it has applications in a video game.
Destroying the will of people to actually play the game isn't such a good idea in a video game though. That's why people like you encouraging CCP to make EVE as boring as possible are doing it a disservice.

Teckos Pech wrote:
I'm giving 7-to-1 odds that Lucas wears you all out...he is a tireless poster and is worse than the energizer bunny.

You have been warned. P

I haven't checked, but I bet he is still posting in the thread about broadcating/multiplexing...even if nobody else is. Big smile

Hah, I was right although he is not the only one still posting to that thread.
I'm a goddamn hero is what I am.

TrickyBlackSteel
Black Consuls
#312 - 2015-08-04 07:10:42 UTC
As a leader of Ruca Emperor Alliance i am agree, i sign this petition!
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#313 - 2015-08-04 07:25:59 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
Tau Cabalander wrote:

So for 4 hours a day you are incapable of having at least one person per structure in system to stop capture?

To be fair, Goonswarm is a BIG™ Alliance, so it it is almost surely the case that for many in the alliance that they are asleep when the systems are vulnerable.

The entire alliance is asleep? Really? You are gonna go with that argument?

If so, again that would also be an example of setting a stupid vulnerability window.
Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#314 - 2015-08-04 07:36:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Dracvlad
Lucas Kell wrote:
Maldiro Selkurk wrote:
Destroying the will of an enemy to fight is a core combat technique even in the real world, certainly it has applications in a video game.
Destroying the will of people to actually play the game isn't such a good idea in a video game though. That's why people like you encouraging CCP to make EVE as boring as possible are doing it a disservice.

If I was in an alliance that was interested in taking space, I would attack multiple systems to mask my real target, I would also use this to break the will to defend. The troll interceptors are easy to kill however I can understand that being a chore if its against people who are just doing it to cause hassle. I am looking forward to the first major Imperium campaign, should be amusing to see just how many people flood into Imperium space for pay back time.

But I get your point about Eve being a game where the main strategy is to bore your enemy out of the game, AFK cloaky camping is one such strategy used to move towards Eve's extinction.

When the going gets tough the Gankers get their CSM rep to change mechanics in their favour.

Blocked: Teckos Pech, Sonya Corvinus, baltec1, Shae Tadaruwa, Wander Prian, Daichi Yamato, Jonah Gravenstein, Merin Ryskin, Linus Gorp

FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#315 - 2015-08-04 08:02:29 UTC
Maldiro Selkurk wrote:

In the real world, people also actuallydie. Destroying your opponent's morale is effective, but it is not particularly fun for either side. Eve is supposed to be a game. Games are supposed to be fun.

Believe me, I lived through years of Dominion Sov. I do not want it back. It was not a good system. I feel qualified to say that having ground hundreds of structures in stealth bomber fleets in order to deny an enemy a fight.

Quote:
Here is Dominion Sov:

Reinforce structure in ships that can easily evade any response. Wait for timer... Form up... If they form up, then blue-ball them...

Repeat as needed...

Reinforce same structure again... Wait for timer... If they do not form up, kill the structure...

That is why Dominion Sov was terrible. Replacing Dominion Sov with an equivalent system is just bone-headed.

Quote:
Here is Aegis Sov:

Entosis structure in ships that can easily evade any response. See if they respond... If they respond, run away...

Repeat as needed...

Entosis same structure again... If they do not respond, structure is destroyed...

Are we noticing a pattern here?

CCP should add more NPC 0.0 space to open it up and liven things up: the Stepping Stones project.

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#316 - 2015-08-04 08:15:29 UTC
Tau Cabalander wrote:
Teckos Pech wrote:
Tau Cabalander wrote:

So for 4 hours a day you are incapable of having at least one person per structure in system to stop capture?

The entire alliance is asleep? Really? You are gonna go with that argument?

If so, again that would also be an example of setting a stupid vulnerability window.

Perhaps you need to familiarize yourself with the definition of many. Roll

If I had meant the entire alliance, I'd have written, "the entire alliance". The person you were responding too noted they often have to go and deal with the mess made while he was asleep...not that the entire alliance was asleep.

Reading...its fundamental.

Anslo
Scope Works
#317 - 2015-08-04 08:24:49 UTC
Isn't there a rule against multi posting? I thought there was.

[center]-_For the Proveldtariat_/-[/center]

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#318 - 2015-08-04 08:31:55 UTC
Dracvlad wrote:

I am looking forward to the first major Imperium campaign, should be amusing to see just how many people flood into Imperium space for pay back time.

Why I never would have thought of that possibility at all!

You sir are a tactician without peer. Sun Tzu, Clausewitz, and Dracvlad. P

Barrogh Habalu
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#319 - 2015-08-04 08:53:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Barrogh Habalu
Lucas Kell wrote:
Working with others is not "counter to the very fundamentals upon which this game stands" and no matter what gets done, that's always going to exist. Being in a bigger, better organised group will always have an advantage.

Yes, this is correct. I suppose this is why no timers appear in territories occupied by really big and organized groups.

Lucas Kell wrote:
The idea of fozziesov was to compact the space us big groups took while encouraging people to take sov. What it's done instead is just encourage people to troll wit disposable ships to waste defenders time.

If some groups could not directly contest others for sov during Dominion, they won't be able now, and that wasn't going to change. Assuming that they want that sov, I suppose their goal is not to entertain people currently having their flag there, quite the opposite. You've said that one of the goals was to compact existing holders, and "sov trolling" is the best average can do to make it happen, do it until another guy says "no, f*** you and your strategic value, I'm not unwanding this s**t system we don't have anything in anyway". That's how you "compact" existing groups.

Or a holder can go painless route, pack up and move to nice system you are going to fully upgrade, and max indexes there, while knowing that maybe another "Hub Zero #whatever" comes to your former system so you could actually extract some content as opposed to only seeing entosis frigs. Does it make sense from "srs business" perspective? Hell no. But here we come to the main part:

Lucas Kell wrote:
What's happening to this game has nothing to do with choices we've made. It's to do with CCP being unable to develop an entertaining system...

FT Diomedes wrote:
In the real world, people also actuallydie. Destroying your opponent's morale is effective, but it is not particularly fun for either side. Eve is supposed to be a game. Games are supposed to be fun.

Sandbox or CCP-designed systems being the source of entertainmant, pick one. What I mean is...

One and almost the only thing going for EVE is that resources for individuals are hard to come by by video game standards and nobody wants to lose them, making it feel like conflict matters. It's core design that you pay for your fun here with hours of soul sucking (again, by VG standards) "work". You can't have it both "fun" and "meaningful and engaging" - anything being fun to acquire means a lot of people will do that, making this resource in question worthless.

Right now though, in a sense, you must choose to do stupid things here in order for fun to happen. NPSI fleets are utterly pointless and are waste of resources... Or they would be if not for the fact that they are supposed to bring action and nothing more. Same goes for every roam ever, it's losing ships for no gain - except to have a good time.

It's time to understand that same will eventually be applied to such assets as extra territories. I say "extra" because people still want their base of operation, something to rely on when they want to make some "ISK" in any form and use them to make fun happen again. And then there are people like manufacturers, miners and other groups that rely on stable places to have their gameplay and fun at all.

Everything beyond that is a welp for giggles material.

Lucas Kell wrote:
...making the game as boring as possible out of some hatred for groups who work well together.

I think his point is that if those groups were working well together on generating conflict, CCP wouldn't be so pressed to screw around with sov null. But that doesn't fall under normal, "srs business" definition of "working well together" ofc.

What happened to WHs is a good illustration. When wormholers were killing and evicting each other, CCP wasn't doing anything. When high-class community entrenched themselves and started to only care about occasional semi-staged (if "semi") fights and dunking nullsec ratters out of boredom, nerfs and tweaks started to happen (such as: hole rolling nerf, C4 connectivity fix, so-called "Sort Dragon nerf").
Barrogh Habalu
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#320 - 2015-08-04 08:55:43 UTC
Teckos Pech wrote:
If I had meant the entire alliance, I'd have written, "the entire alliance". The person you were responding too noted they often have to go and deal with the mess made while he was asleep...not that the entire alliance was asleep.

Reading...its fundamental.

And what was the rest of alliance doing if they have to mop up after them? I suppose that sleeping describes that fairly well, if not in a literal sense.