These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

War Decs: It's time for them to go away.

First post First post
Author
Remiel Pollard
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#41 - 2015-08-04 00:48:25 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Utara Ataru wrote:
The universally accepted definition of PvP involves direct combat with ships in EVE or avatars in other games.
The universally accepted definition of PvP means you're competing against other players, as opposed to game constructs. Fairness is not a factor. Unless you're saying that either the faction cruiser or the mining barge in question is not controlled by a player, it would be pretty nonsensical (not to mention outright false) to not call it PvP.

All of the things you listed involve competition against other players, i.e. PvP (and as an added bonus, fairness is not a factor in any of them).

Also, I might add, the 'universally' accepted definition of PVP does not apply to EVE Online due to it being a stand-alone (ie not universally standard model) MMO. EVE isn't like anything else, so expecting it to be like something else in regards to rules and definitions is like expecting a Ferrari F360 to go unnoticed at a Renault Clio club.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Webvan
All Kill No Skill
#42 - 2015-08-04 01:15:38 UTC
Tippia wrote:
It's the classic — oft-attempted and always failed — case of trying to replace an actual customer base with a hypothetical one. It's never a good trade because it relies entirely on trying to elicit interest among those who have long since determined that they're not interested. It's ok if some players don't like your game. Tastes vary, and you can't satisfy them all — trying to cater to everyone inevitably means pleasing no-one, and trying to capture every customer will just as inevitably mean you end up with no customers.
My favorite rally cry for years to wake up drifting developers. Always the best example being SWG from which I came to this game full-time from. The game had a good open world PvP system, a reason most of their existing player-base, their vets, played the game. They eventually stuffed it into some WoW style battleground.

They changed the game to cater to new players they didn't even have, even deleted all our player faction bases, all to just get new players, different players. The game literally became a ghost town over night, literally, with the surprise patch called NGE. Lingered for years with few players stuffed into a couple half-full servers, then was shut down. It took the developers many years to admit they screwed up, sort of half-hearted apology. Even SOE eventually fell apart, sold off, due to their bad decisions and mismanagement of their games. Yes, if you change your game to make it a game for everyone, you only make a game for no one.

I'm in it for the money

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F12

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#43 - 2015-08-04 01:24:38 UTC
Utara Ataru wrote:
Pitting a faction cruiser against a mining barge is hardly a fair fight and as such, doesn't meet my definition of PvP.

I don't give a Fedo's ass about your skewed definition of PvP. Player versus player. Unless CCP has finally taken my advice and disqualified miners and haulers from counting as real players, the definition still fits.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Vimsy Vortis
Shoulda Checked Local
Break-A-Wish Foundation
#44 - 2015-08-04 02:08:15 UTC
Pitting the Third Reich against Poland is hardly a fair fight and as such, doesn't meet my definition of warfare.
Chance Ravinne
WiNGSPAN Delivery Services
WiNGSPAN Delivery Network
#45 - 2015-08-04 02:33:27 UTC
Deleting the wardec mechanic will remove a huge percentage of risk in empire space. But more importantly it will make it impossible to remove player structures from hisec. Unless you make shooting all player structures akin to shooting an MTU, with a suspect timer.

Still, the current system doesn't work because IMO it is not conditional. It has no real end point or goal, especially for the defending side. That's because unlike a real wardec nobody views surrender as a real option, just fight or disband, or wait them out.

What if the defenders could automatically end the war by achieving some kind of fairly difficult objective? It might give them hope to stick it out.

You've just read another awesome post by Chance Ravinne, CEO of EVE's #1 torpedo delivery service. Watch our misadventures on my YouTube channel: WINGSPANTT

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#46 - 2015-08-04 02:40:51 UTC
Chance Ravinne wrote:

Still, the current system doesn't work because IMO it is not conditional. It has no real end point or goal, especially for the defending side. That's because unlike a real wardec nobody views surrender as a real option, just fight or disband, or wait them out.

One wonders then if the surrender option would be used more if dec dodging weren't around.

And honestly, I view that mentality as an extension of the problems created by dec dodging. Because people have the option to just flip their corp and not have to deal with the wars, it means that groups never have to learn to actually fight. This just serves to perpetuate the disease of helplessness.

If dec dodging were not a palatable option, then a lot of the bad, unbalanced "indy" corps would disappear, yes. But in their place would rise more balanced corps that *gasp* actually have players with skillpoints put in combat ships. That can only be a good thing.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Carrie-Anne Moss
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#47 - 2015-08-04 02:43:14 UTC
Chance Ravinne wrote:
Deleting the wardec mechanic will remove a huge percentage of risk in empire space. But more importantly it will make it impossible to remove player structures from hisec. Unless you make shooting all player structures akin to shooting an MTU, with a suspect timer.

What if the defenders could automatically end the war by achieving some kind of fairly difficult objective? It might give them hope to stick it out.

CSM YOU FIGURED IT OUT!
YEARS OF WARDEC TERRIBLINESS YOU JUST FOUND SOLUTION O M G!!

MAKE DEFENDER ORBIT A BEACON FREAKING ENTOSISING IT ON THE ATTACKERS HQ SYSTEM!
Crimson Nirnroots
Compliant Munitions
#48 - 2015-08-04 02:44:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Crimson Nirnroots
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
These things are not mutually exclusive Shocked Carebear is an attitude, not a play-style.

A true industrialist in Eve sees war and other conflict as an opportunity, not a hindrance.

These two quotes are going into the slideshow ;)

I think who joins EvE does so for the genre, not for anything specific. I think what defines them is discovered through time while the explore everything there is to do in New Eden. That said, I think most players who stay for any length of time do so because what they enjoy here fits in well with the competitive PvP environment EvE is designed around.

If not, like Tippia said I don't think they really enjoy the game for what it is and offers.

Antimatter, now with more Nirnroots.

Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#49 - 2015-08-04 02:48:51 UTC
Chance Ravinne wrote:

There is still the issue of the defender believing they can actually achieve that objective and deciding it worthwhile, meaning even with it some won't gain the will to participate, but it seems like a step in the right direction.

When the goal for a defender is to not be in a war, how do you create a system that makes them want to volunteer to be in one?

Also Kaarous, no, surrender would not be used by those with something worth losing even when unable to dodge. That's what alts are for. SP has nothing to do with it either. I have plenty of that in the right places and still see no sensible reason to fight a war.
Omar Alharazaad
New Eden Tech Support
#50 - 2015-08-04 02:52:18 UTC
Chance Ravinne wrote:

Actually, I kind of like the idea of giving the aggressor the ability to set conditions when issuing a war declaration.
Make it something like a contract that's directly tied to the war defining terms for cessation of hostilities... ie, items/isk paid vs time aggressor may not re-dec defender if they fulfill their end of the deal.

Not suggesting making it mandatory, mind you. I just like the idea of it being an option.

Come hell or high water, this sick world will know I was here.

Aoife Fraoch
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#51 - 2015-08-04 02:53:41 UTC
Vimsy Vortis wrote:
Pitting the Third Reich against Poland is hardly a fair fight and as such, doesn't meet my definition of warfare.

Nice Godwin.

War decs do need to stay. After all, it is one of the few ways for one group to impose its will on another. That and combat keeps the economy moving.

They do need some changes though, personally I think more needs to be done to get defenders to actually defend. Mostly I think this should be done by giving them stuff that is actually worth defending, such as longevity bonuses for a corp or more cool stuff in space.
Vimsy Vortis
Shoulda Checked Local
Break-A-Wish Foundation
#52 - 2015-08-04 03:08:02 UTC
Chance Ravinne wrote:

The lack of meaningless structure shooting and point capturing is one of the major strengths of the war declaration system compared to things like sovereignty and faction warfare. The objectives, victory conditions are entirely subjective and player defined, which is better because it is sandboxy, a structured system with predetermined in and lose conditions based on totally arbitrary things like point capturing or structure shooting is entirely unappealing and frankly defies the point.

A way to improve the system would to make the surrender mechanic not totally ********. It should be replaced with a negotiation system that actually has some functionality and that both sides can table variable term treaties. The one issue I continuously come across is that defenders are often totally unwilling to communicate with the aggressor in any way, but are allegedly totally desperate to end the war?

I want to be able to send them something that says "This is exactly what needs to happen to make the war go away and not happen again for X amount of time, do you agree y/n" and then for them to be able to send a counter offer if they want. This should include things like transferring structure ownership between corps, isk transactions, kicking members from corps and corps from alliances. Whenever someone with appropriate roles hits the "yes, we agree" button it should all happen automatically.

The surrender mechanic being the only way for a war to end early was a bad choice in my opinion because virtually no aggressor is ever going to offer to surrender, just because it's called a surrender. Once upon a time it was entirely common for defenders to win a decisive victory early on in a war or to manage a particularly spectacular show of force and for the aggressor to retract the war as a knee jerk reaction. Now they have to surrender if they want that to happen, so rather than do that they just stick it out for a week and see how it goes.

Iterating on the existing mechanics to make them more useful to all of the involved parties is a better solution than jamming in random mechanics and seeing if they work.
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#53 - 2015-08-04 03:37:23 UTC
CCP has already mentioned two possible changes: Corp lite and social groups.

Corp lite is a corp that cannot be involved in a war. Nor can it hold a POS or a customs office, or be in an alliance. POSes and customs offices are a reason to have wars.

Social groups are little more than special interest chat channels. They already exist. All that is needed is a in-game way to advertize them, and search for ones that interest you.

As for the economy, my guess is very little destruction occurs from wars against corps who just turtle. If they don't undock, or drop to an npc corp, they don't explode, and there is no drive to the economy. Sure, there will be a few clueless who get caught, but I doubt its much of a drive to the economy.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Webvan
All Kill No Skill
#54 - 2015-08-04 03:46:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Webvan
Chance Ravinne wrote:
Sure it does, and it's called "eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate" and is fully user defined within emergent game play by the players of the sandbox.

For instance: If a group of industrialist wish to have their own special corp just for industrialists, I don't see why they should be treated as special snowflakes compared to how anyone else deals with it. Perhaps it's just a bad idea these restricting themselves to such corps when there is nothing stopping them form working with normal corps that do a wide variety of game related activities including industry to support their needs. It only doesn't work because too many choose to leave themselves open and defenseless to such attack, then come and whine as if somehow they should be treated special within a system of consequences for ones own choices.

Don't want to be a defenseless target? Don't choose to be and just do something else. This is why I opted out of hacking after the mini-game came to New Eden. I've steered quite a few industrialists to null to escape the rage building inside of them over wardecs and ganks. Just... adapt.

I'm in it for the money

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F12

Omar Alharazaad
New Eden Tech Support
#55 - 2015-08-04 03:56:02 UTC
Sort of yes, sort of no.
If a corp just turtles up then the aggressors are preventing them from hauling product or harvesting resources.
Sometimes loss isn't measured just by ISK destroyed as much as ISK denied.
Sometimes just preventing a corp from being in a specific area for a period of time can be the objective of the war.

Come hell or high water, this sick world will know I was here.

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#56 - 2015-08-04 03:56:28 UTC
Webvan wrote:
If a group of industrialist wish to have their own special corp just for industrialists, I don't see why they should be treated as special snowflakes compared to how anyone else deals with it. Perhaps it's just a bad idea these restricting themselves to such corps when there is nothing stopping them from working with normal corps that do a wide variety of game related activities including industry to support their needs. It only doesn't work because too many choose to leave themselves open and defenseless to such attack, then come and whine as if somehow they should be treated special within a system of consequences for ones own actions.
You're talking about people taking responsibility for their decisions and choices, which simply doesn't fly for some people; normally those that refuse to accept the concept that their decisions and choices can and often do affect other players.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Webvan
All Kill No Skill
#57 - 2015-08-04 04:08:20 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
You're talking about people taking responsibility for their decisions and choices, which simply doesn't fly for some people; normally those that refuse to accept the concept that their decisions and choices can and often do affect other players.
Yeah I edited that word out, actually before seeing your post. Like minded in that, it's their "choice" and what it all amounts to. Yep, absolutely, some people don't like that, it's not comfortable. I've actually have had to adapt to irl as best I can, it can be annoying and so very unfair. What doesn't kill you makes ya stronger.

I'm in it for the money

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F12

Vimsy Vortis
Shoulda Checked Local
Break-A-Wish Foundation
#58 - 2015-08-04 04:26:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Vimsy Vortis
Omar Alharazaad wrote:
Sort of yes, sort of no.
If a corp just turtles up then the aggressors are preventing them from hauling product or harvesting resources.
Sometimes loss isn't measured just by ISK destroyed as much as ISK denied.
Sometimes just preventing a corp from being in a specific area for a period of time can be the objective of the war.

This is always a funny one because often you don't actually have to do anything to get people to totally cease their normal behavior. They don't even need to see a hostile in local before they go into total shutdown, the mere threat of someone shooting them causes such an extreme response that they totally suspend their normal activity either because they are completely unwilling to risk being engaged in PVP under any circumstance or that they believe that denying content will result in a war being shorter. This would maybe make sense if they had planned alternative activity to do during this time, but typically they don't and just either don't log in or log in and sit in station the entire time.

With there being no retract war button anymore wars are always going to last at least a week, and given that a corp that doesn't undock at all is literally zero threat corps that do this a really just shooting themselves in the foot. The aggressors almost certainly have other content and the practice becomes increasingly harmful to the defender the longer they have to maintain it.

Often times when you get a contract from some random PVE oriented group against another PVE oriented group that's the end result. The target stays docked up for so long that they suffer member loss and a subsequent failure cascade because they decided that denying their aggressor "content" was more important than providing their members with content leading to a total victory for the aggressor without them ever actually shooting anything.
Yozul
Fredegar Hohenstaufen Corporation
Holy Arumbian Empire
#59 - 2015-08-04 04:31:47 UTC
I think that the real problem is that corps that don't center around violence don't really have any good violence free ways of defending themselves.

If a corp wants to declare wars on every industrial group in the universe simultaneously they should be committing economic suicide, but the game as it is now doesn't really allow for that.

I don't know off the top of my head any good way to prevent people from getting around that kind of thing with a 0 skill point purchasing alt, but can't help but feel like maybe that's a good direction to look anyway.
Yang Aurilen
State War Academy
Caldari State
#60 - 2015-08-04 04:34:04 UTC
Man this thread is just so sad to read.

Post with your NPC alt main and not your main main alt!