These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[SKINS] Bringing back the old EOM scheme

Author
Uriel Paradisi Anteovnuecci
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#1 - 2015-07-28 18:39:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Uriel Paradisi Anteovnuecci
Hi again, everyone!

So I'm sure you've all seen the new SKINS on the NES, with even more being added today. My focus here is on the Equilibrium of Mankind SKINS for Amarr ships. Now, don't get me wrong - I love these SKINS, and I was wicked excited to buy most of them.

However, there's been a... change to the EoM scheme since the new rendering has been applied. It's really just a matter of the scheme being used for the ship with that particular SKIN, but it's a glaring difference.

Here are some shots some Amarr ships, using the new shaders for EoM:
  • Apocalypse: 1, 2
  • Armageddon: 1, 2
  • Paladin: 1, 2

• And here are some shots of the same ships as they would look with the old EoM scheme (which I always loved):
  • Apocalypse: 1, 2
  • Armageddon: 1, 2
  • Paladin: 1, 2

• Here's all of them in one album, if you'd like to see them all together.

The shots with the old scheme were taken from http://pozniak.pl/caldariprimeponyclub.com
    The shots with the new shaders are taken from http://www.caldariprimeponyclub.com

We're comparing the different schemes here, though different shader methods make for some difference as well (PBR, etc.); while that does mean there are some differences in the way they're rendered, it doesn't change the fact that the EoM color scheme has been constructed erroneously in the new shaders. The new scheme is decidedly blue-on-grey, with the grey being much lighter than the blue, and the whole ship being aggressively reflective; the old scheme was a very distinct blue-on-pitch black, with the black being much darker and the whole hull having a much softer reflective sheen, giving it an instantly recognizable and (in my opinion) extremely attractive appearance.

If the SKINS we could purchase on the NEW for EoM looked like the old ones when it came to scheme, I'd buy most of them in a heartbeat; I'd absolutely love to see their ships look as they used to, and I hope enough people share that opinion that CCP takes notice of it.

Thanks for reading, and I hope this gets some attention! Cheers~♪
    -Uriel
    Rivr Luzade
    Coreli Corporation
    Pandemic Legion
    #2 - 2015-07-28 19:07:03 UTC
    Very much agreed.

Also: Remove SKINs and put them in the game exclusively for ISK. One macro transaction per month is enough.

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Haatakan Reppola
    Science and Trade Institute
    Caldari State
    #3 - 2015-07-28 19:46:43 UTC
    Rivr Luzade wrote:

Also: Remove SKINs and put them in the game exclusively for ISK. One macro transaction per month is enough.

The is no need for you to use RL money: Buy PLEX for isk > convert PLEX to 3500 AUR > buy SKIN for AUR
    You can also buy AUR tokens if you want or buy the SKIN for isk from another player
    Caiman Graystock
    Starways Congress
    #4 - 2015-07-28 20:55:06 UTC
    I hope they take notice of this, great suggestion.
    Legion40k
    Hard Knocks Inc.
    Hard Knocks Citizens
    #5 - 2015-07-28 20:58:13 UTC
    It's too shiny, I have to agree. Would love these SKINs much, much more if they were fixed
    Agata Black
    Sebiestor Tribe
    Minmatar Republic
    #6 - 2015-07-28 21:57:51 UTC
    I have to agree that the darker "classic" look looks better, and this is the first time I see it. I already purchased a EOM skin and wouldn't mind if it got changed as you propose, but you should keep in mind that not everyone may agree with this and would rather have their purchase reimbursed.
    Chell Nigiri
    We Did A Thing
    Probably Up to No Good
    #7 - 2015-07-28 22:03:44 UTC
    Uriel, you have my support, I think the Black & Blue looks better. 100%
    Tyberius Franklin
    Federal Navy Academy
    Gallente Federation
    #8 - 2015-07-28 22:20:07 UTC
    +1
    Arthur Aihaken
    CODE.d
    #9 - 2015-07-29 00:13:29 UTC
    +1 Seems like a reasonable tweak to the matte level.
    Or perhaps Minmatar ships get rustier while Amarr ships get shinier? Lol

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Justin Cody
    War Firm
    #10 - 2015-07-29 04:53:24 UTC
    Haatakan Reppola wrote:
    Rivr Luzade wrote:

The is no need for you to use RL money: Buy PLEX for isk > convert PLEX to 3500 AUR > buy SKIN for AUR
    You can also buy AUR tokens if you want or buy the SKIN for isk from another player

yes yes that is all well and good but the aurum prices are ridiculous.

And I like these skins either way. It was higher contrast without the shininess but perhaps some tweaks as to how they 'rust' or get a patina will make them look better.

I say give it time for space dust to collect on your hull.
    Tyberius Franklin
    Federal Navy Academy
    Gallente Federation
    #11 - 2015-07-29 04:59:47 UTC
    Justin Cody wrote:
    I say give it time for space dust to collect on your hull.

This isn't actually a thing that happens currently.
    Barrogh Habalu
    Imperial Shipment
    Amarr Empire
    #12 - 2015-07-29 08:37:30 UTC
    I agree with this suggestion. I was thinking the same when I saw that with new shaders Khanid ships lost their "silver with matte black" appearance. I think at one point they looked almost like entirely silver, heh.
    Aralieus
    Shadowbane Syndicate
    #13 - 2015-07-29 11:25:30 UTC
    Agreed. Also please fix Khanid ships...we're not exactly looking Dark Amarr enough

Oderint Dum Metuant

Haatakan Reppola
    Science and Trade Institute
    Caldari State
    #14 - 2015-07-29 16:28:38 UTC
    Justin Cody wrote:

yes yes that is all well and good but the aurum prices are ridiculous.

The aurum prices are what people are willing to pay (3-400 000 isk/aurum the last 10 days)
    Rivr Luzade
    Coreli Corporation
    Pandemic Legion
    #15 - 2015-07-29 16:49:19 UTC
    Haatakan Reppola wrote:

I pay a monthly subscription to CCP and I am not willing to throw more money into CCP's throat beyond that monthly macro transaction, neither directly nor indirectly. CCP would have no need to do this kind of stuff other games do to increase their revenue if they would have created, invented and implemented proper activities, content and mechanics that make people rip their livers out to get a month subscription for EVE. Correcting this mistake and creating this kind of content should be CCP's only course of action. However, instead CCP takes the way the other publishers took: The easy mode way of a money grab. That is not something I am going to support beyond my MMT.

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Alek Row
    Silent Step
    #16 - 2015-07-29 17:56:09 UTC
    Default Sebestior skin also changed without notice, it was black, now it is green - check Claymore.
    Old EoM skin looks much better than the new one.
    Sp3ktr3
    The Regency
    The Monarchy
    #17 - 2015-08-14 04:33:35 UTC
    Although I like the new look, I think the old one looks better. I would support changing the existing EoM skin to the old, darker version.
    Arthur Aihaken
    CODE.d
    #18 - 2015-08-18 03:57:28 UTC
    Maybe with the new designer SKINs you can get something even cooler than the EOM.

I am currently away, traveling through time and will be returning last week.

Reaver Glitterstim
    The Scope
    Gallente Federation
    #19 - 2015-08-18 05:49:20 UTC
    I've had a problem with all these shiny new coats. I have to turn down my lighting settings so I can actually see what I'm looking at, because the ships are so reflective I can't see the paint for the reflections. Please add more bright colors, contrasting color schemes, and matte paint. Here's an idea, make parts of it shinier than other parts. Makes sense that the gold cover on an Amarrian ship is polished; doesn't make sense that the black underside of an Amarrian ship is polished.

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."