These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Eve Online TV Show and Syfy's Dark Matter

Author
Jerax Torles
Norsefire Enterprises
#1 - 2015-07-23 16:08:09 UTC
So a few years ago CCP announced plans to do a tv show. I haven't heard much on it, and I hope it's still a thing. In the meantime though, I just started watching Dark Matter on Syfy, which is surprisingly well put-together. A lot of the storyline and world/backdrop resembles Eve in a lot of ways. A couple episodes in and you'll see exactly what I mean.

Here's the trailer. I wish I could give away a pretty important plotline but, spoilers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TqwBlTQfTg
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#2 - 2015-07-23 16:20:36 UTC
I just couldn't bring myself to get invested in Dark Matter. It didn't grab me the way...say...Killjoys did.

And Killjoys could certainly be an EVE scenario. What with it's emphasis on corporate overlords battling is out for resources and territory. As well as independent mercenary groups willing to do whatever if the price is right.

Mr Epeen Cool
Jerax Torles
Norsefire Enterprises
#3 - 2015-07-23 16:22:26 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
I just couldn't bring myself to get invested in Dark Matter. It didn't grab me the way...say...Killjoys did.

And Killjoys could certainly be an EVE scenario. What with it's emphasis on corporate overlords battling is out for resources and territory. As well as independent mercenary groups willing to do whatever if the price is right.

Mr Epeen Cool

I watched killjoys too, and the acting seemed too cheesy and a little forced at times. Not a bad show. I think they both have a bit of Eve in them. How much Dark Matter did you watch? Only 6 eps so far, keeps getting better with each episode, and more eve-y.
Jenshae Chiroptera
#4 - 2015-07-23 16:59:02 UTC
I saw people in that trailer.
In EVE people are a lie.

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Jerax Torles
Norsefire Enterprises
#5 - 2015-07-23 17:32:50 UTC
Jenshae Chiroptera wrote:
In EVE people are a lie.

My favorite line from an interview with CCP,

Quote:
The game is about spaceships. We can’t have spaceships talking to each other.

- http://variety.com/2014/digital/news/how-the-eve-online-tv-series-could-become-the-next-game-of-thrones-1201088301/
Aaron
Eternal Frontier
#6 - 2015-07-23 17:48:24 UTC
Dark Matter is a great sci-fi show which has lots of scope, I can see this show has the potential to run for 7 seasons. The actors are great and the show reminds me of Firefly.

It is a must watch for any sci-fi fan.

Fear no one, live life, be free, accept the truth, do not judge others, defend yourself, fight hard till the end, meditate on problems and be prosperous. Things to exist by. -- RAIN Arthie

DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#7 - 2015-07-23 20:52:55 UTC
this idea might of been on pause when they did the new vision in 2014, but yea i have not heard much, besides they found a director or something

OMG Comet Mining idea!!! Comet Mining!

Eve For life.

Carrie-Anne Moss
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2015-07-23 21:26:38 UTC
Killjoys is about a bunch of carebare whiteknight bouny hunter lol
Show sucks

If it was about like evil bounty hunter or mercenaries it would be cool.

Whiteknights sux
Baaldor
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#9 - 2015-07-23 21:51:21 UTC
Aaron
Eternal Frontier
#10 - 2015-07-23 22:56:29 UTC
DaReaper wrote:
this idea might of been on pause when they did the new vision in 2014, but yea i have not heard much, besides they found a director or something

They should pay Joss Whedon and his bro to do it. Joss Whedon is responsible for shows like buffy, angel, agents of shield, and Firefly which I mentioned before, also they were involved in the Avengers series of films.

I think an Eve Series or film needs lots of humour in such a serious and brutal setting like eve online. On the other hand it could be dark like game of thrones. Either way It will be great to see CCP diversify into TV.

Fear no one, live life, be free, accept the truth, do not judge others, defend yourself, fight hard till the end, meditate on problems and be prosperous. Things to exist by. -- RAIN Arthie

Cypherous
Liberty Rogues
Aprilon Dynasty
#11 - 2015-07-23 22:58:12 UTC
Jerax Torles wrote:
Jenshae Chiroptera wrote:
In EVE people are a lie.

My favorite line from an interview with CCP,

Quote:
The game is about spaceships. We can’t have spaceships talking to each other.

- http://variety.com/2014/digital/news/how-the-eve-online-tv-series-could-become-the-next-game-of-thrones-1201088301/

I point to andromeda and say that we can have spaceships talking to each other :P
Nana Skalski
Taisaanat Kotei
#12 - 2015-07-23 23:02:21 UTC
Game of thrones in space?
And writer would be not actual Game of thrones writer?
I don't see it happening. Sorry.
beakerax
Pator Tech School
#13 - 2015-07-23 23:13:54 UTC
Aaron wrote:
Dark Matter is a great sci-fi show which has lots of scope, I can see this show has the potential to run for 7 seasons. The actors are great and the show reminds me of Firefly.

But Firefly didn't even last 1 season.
Aaron
Eternal Frontier
#14 - 2015-07-23 23:47:36 UTC
beakerax wrote:
Aaron wrote:

You're right it didn't. Over the years they have cancelled some good shows, must be to do with ratings..anyone remember Defying Gravity ?

DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2015-07-24 00:24:41 UTC
Yeah, I watch Dark Matter, very good space Sy-Fy series.

Also watch Defiance too.

DMC
elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#16 - 2015-07-24 02:40:54 UTC
Aaron wrote:
DaReaper wrote:

They should pay Joss Whedon and his bro to do it. Joss Whedon is responsible for shows like buffy, angel, agents of shield, and Firefly which I mentioned before, also they were involved in the Avengers series of films.

I think an Eve Series or film needs lots of humour in such a serious and brutal setting like eve online. On the other hand it could be dark like game of thrones. Either way It will be great to see CCP diversify into TV.

I agree the cast is awesome and the story is too, can't wait for Friday Big smile

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

Sobaan Tali
Caldari Quick Reaction Force
#17 - 2015-07-24 17:21:47 UTC
beakerax wrote:
Aaron wrote:

Well, not because it was bad or anything. The Unit was a good show too, and getting better each season actually. Stopped midway through season 4 because the writers couldn't agree with where they wanted to go with the story. Supposedly, viewer count was also an issue, though the few that watched it (including me) thought it was a pretty good show. Sadly, sometimes something other than the quality of a show gets it killed, even if the quality is why it should keep running.

"Tomahawks?"

"----in' A, right?"

"Trouble is, those things cost like a million and a half each."

"----, you pay me half that and I'll hump in some c4 and blow the ---- out of it my own damn self."

DrysonBennington
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2015-07-25 01:36:06 UTC
Defying gravity is easy.

Simply remove all of the celestial bodies in the night sky and what do you have that produces gravity?

Here is a new find. There is a large hole void in the center of the Universe that is nearly a billion light years across.

What it even more interesting is it shaped like an egg or the Capsule.

So which came first the chicken or egg?

http://www.space.com/4271-huge-hole-universe.html
OverlordY
Interspan
#19 - 2015-07-25 16:19:39 UTC
its like stargate meets farscape with a bit of eve mixed in..
Nicolai Serkanner
Incredible.
Brave Collective
#20 - 2015-07-25 16:41:34 UTC
Jerax Torles wrote:
So a few years ago CCP announced plans to do a tv show. I haven't heard much on it, and I hope it's still a thing. In the meantime though, I just started watching Dark Matter on Syfy, which is surprisingly well put-together. A lot of the storyline and world/backdrop resembles Eve in a lot of ways. A couple episodes in and you'll see exactly what I mean.

Here's the trailer. I wish I could give away a pretty important plotline but, spoilers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TqwBlTQfTg

Sorry, but I find Dark matter a truly horrible show.
12Next page