These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

So what do I do?

Author
Painkill3r
Perkone
Caldari State
#21 - 2015-07-17 18:40:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Painkill3r
Sensor dampeners are probably your best bet right now. Always useful. The malus is a Gallentr frigate and will be your go to ship at first. That said, if your character is of another race and you want to focus on their EWAR module of choice: Amarr uses turret disruption, minmatar target paint, and Caldari jam with electronic countermeasures or ECM.

I'd give you a more complete post about all the EWAR frigates, but I am posting from my phone and the typos would render it neigh unreadable.
Lost Greybeard
Drunken Yordles
#22 - 2015-07-17 19:01:36 UTC
A month of SP, which is something like 1.5 million SP usually, costs less than a cup of coffee and a deli sandwich.

Pointing out that they're technically infinitely more expensive than Dust SP, while true, is kind of fallacious, in that the cost is so trivial that they're still essentially free.

... and if 10 to 15$ per month _isn't_ basically free for you, you need to stop playing video games. Not even just MMOs, games in general. That time needs to go toward job hunting, because you're about to die from starvation.
Damien Theodore
Tronhadar River Maintenance Company
#23 - 2015-07-17 19:19:15 UTC
Lost Greybeard wrote:
A month of SP, which is something like 1.5 million SP usually, costs less than a cup of coffee and a deli sandwich.

Pointing out that they're technically infinitely more expensive than Dust SP, while true, is kind of fallacious, in that the cost is so trivial that they're still essentially free.

... and if 10 to 15$ per month _isn't_ basically free for you, you need to stop playing video games. Not even just MMOs, games in general. That time needs to go toward job hunting, because you're about to die from starvation.

I was wondering when that comment would come into play.

No matter the triviality of the value of the SP; I can still place 'some' value to it as a means to weigh a decision.

Eve has a higher marginal loss than just 15 bucks a month. Opportunity cost wise I can think of Eve as a far more expensive habit than the basic cost of a subscription.

Consider the level to which some of Eve's player organizations operate. Many players seemingly seek to make this game a job.
Lost Greybeard
Drunken Yordles
#24 - 2015-07-17 19:25:13 UTC
Damien Theodore wrote:
Eve has a higher marginal loss than just 15 bucks a month. Opportunity cost wise I can think of Eve as a far more expensive habit than the basic cost of a subscription.

The only way that a video game presents an opportunity cost is if you're playing it when you're supposed to be working. Or doing something necessary to your work (like sleeping).

If this is the case... dude, you have a problem. Stop playing video games, and potentially seek counseling. That ****'s not healthy.

(The fact that you're justifying your gameplay in terms of jargon you don't actually appear to quite understand is a bit of a red flag on your hobby to begin with. I mean, I know this is a CCP forum and they want your money, but even the devs don't want your money to the point of you screwing up your life. Take a break or something, is my advice. Game will still be here when you've got a handle on things.)
Damien Theodore
Tronhadar River Maintenance Company
#25 - 2015-07-17 19:56:09 UTC
Lost Greybeard wrote:
[quote=Damien Theodore]If this is the case... dude, you have a problem. Stop playing video games, and potentially seek counseling. That ****'s not healthy.)

I wonder why you are so intent to steer my desire to get value from my gameplay into a problem.
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#26 - 2015-07-17 19:59:23 UTC
game has as much value as you perceive it to have.
Ralph King-Griffin
Lords.Of.Midnight
The Devil's Warrior Alliance
#27 - 2015-07-17 22:27:31 UTC
Damien Theodore wrote:
Lost Greybeard wrote:
[quote=Damien Theodore]If this is the case... dude, you have a problem. Stop playing video games, and potentially seek counseling. That ****'s not healthy.)

I wonder why you are so intent to steer my desire to get value from my gameplay into a problem.

He's pointing out that your frame of reference here seems off in an odd and potentially indicative manor.
he means well even if coming across a little condescending.

Painkill3r
Perkone
Caldari State
#28 - 2015-07-17 22:54:14 UTC
That escalated quickly.
ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#29 - 2015-07-18 02:10:57 UTC
Damien Theodore wrote:

I mean that in the sense of; every Eve player had to pay money to even accrue SP. So I consider this a noteworthy thing to form a plan around. I have 14 odd dust accounts all out just accruing SP for free right now. I'll cycle around to them in turn over time and play different metas. Free. In Eve I am paying (losing the game) for every second I didn't or did plan in my training path.

It's a game you play it to have fun period. Either you enjoy playing it or you don't and you find something else to do. If you think Dust is so much better than Eve then go play it. You can look at it like glass half full or glass half empty but at the end of the day you either like it or you don't.

As far as your obsession over you skill points that seems to have you behaving compulsively I recommend that you not worry about your skill points so much. Your game experience will improve significantly if you don't worry about skill points and just train what ever opens up options of stuff for you to try out. The choice is yours obsess about your skill queue or play the game and have fun.
Damien Theodore wrote:

From perspective of the current and elapsing metagame, with regards to fleet interactions; what line of EWAR would I be best to train into. I will easily look for ship bonus's to base other rounded decisions on; such as tank, and other modifiers. I learned in Dust that it is efficient and faster to racially spec on separate characters so I am looking to 'fold into a ship' to practice and get good with, grind on and become intimately familiar with; so I can stock and lose them with no real pain. (As it should be...)

You can ask a question like this and get different answers from different people. The only way that you will know which one works best for you is to try them all yourself. It takes almost no time to train something to level 2 or even level 3.

Many other MMOs have a formula for various things. What I mean is you can go on some website somewhere and find out what the best solo PvP class is or what the best spec is or best spell rotation or best in slot gear or what ever. Then in those games you can queue up into ( some even up heavily structured and overly balanced to the point of homogenization ) 3 v 3 or 40 man per side PvP of characters that are all of the same level and roughly the same gearscore and same basic abilities with only 3 roles to choose from: heals, Melee dps or ranged dps.

Eve is not that game. In Eve no one is skill point capped yet. The game will need to be out about 20 years before that can happen. Even then after a year you can be pretty close to all level 5 for small ships. Keeping in mind that small ships are where most of the PvP is and from what I've heard where all of the fun is and due to gunnery mechanics a frigate can go up against a Battleship solo and win. Not to mention the fact that you can go on a roam with 4 buddies all in frigates and the chances of you running into a fleet of 5 other frigates is less than good. Maybe you find a solo miner maybe you bump into a 70 man NPSI fleet.

Eve is not a game about a skill queue. It is a game about knowledge and cooperation and intel. If you doubt me just watch a Rooks and Kings video or two. They run face first into situations where they are heavily out numbered and still win.

So obsess about your skill queue then stress out then burn out and leave the game or ease up and play the game and have fun and get good at it in the process.

Damien Theodore wrote:

Consider the level to which some of Eve's player organizations operate. Many players seemingly seek to make this game a job.

To me it seems like you are the one turning Eve into a job. Stressing out over a skill queue seems like work to me not fun. If the game is a job to you and not fun then don't play it.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

Darek Castigatus
Immortalis Inc.
Shadow Cartel
#30 - 2015-07-18 17:14:23 UTC
Heres an idea, how about we dial back the various 'EVE is a game therefore it has no intrinsic value' arguements and actually answer the guys question??

To be honest if you want to be a skilled EWAR pilot its really a question of what order you train for the various types than which one to use period. They each have their own uses and all take very little time to train to a basic level of competency, having one skill to use the module and one or two skills that boost its effects.

If I had to pick one to start with I would go with sensor dampening, even after the recent nerf it still gives you the biggest bang for the buck and it has the longest effective range so you can stay out of the way while you learn how to use it. If you use missiles on a regular basis train target painting second otherwise do ECM second then target painting. Tracking disruption can be left til last, its a bit more niche than the other three because its useless against ships that dont use turreted weapons such as missile boats and ships with neut/nos or drone bonuses.

Finally I suppose you could do the skill for Target Spectrum Breakers but unless you want to fly a solo battleship that can be safely ignored for now.

Pirates - The Invisible Fist of Darwin

you're welcome

Boci
Ubiquitous Hurt
The WeHurt Initiative
#31 - 2015-07-18 23:12:10 UTC
Damien Theodore wrote:
Hello!

I am new to Eve but I have been playing Dust for a while now and decided to try it.
Like I normally do when I make a new Dust mercenary; I wait a few days to gather some SP. This lets me tailor my base suit fits and enjoy the game. I have been banking my SP into the base skills you start with for the moment in Eve.

I want to know what roles are fun and what are common kits for those roles.
I was cautioned that in Eve I'll will need to burn about 2 years to reach my typical mercenary capabilities. This is vexing as I can get a fully tiered Mercenary up in about a quarter of that time (And my ISK is worth more too o.o). Decent skills to be able to suit into whatever the environment demands, etc...

Suggestions are welcome.

Pirate

Try and keep the 'let me google that for you' responses to a minimum. (example: hurr durr check battlecinic...)

Don't listen to that two years to be effective BS, it is completely untrue. I am going on 10 years old on this character, and a guy who spent his first 60 days focus training for say...a pvp tormentor, can fit the tormentor the exact same way I can. And I am a pretty terrible pilot (player skill wise) so I lose to younger players with saddening regularity.

I will parrot other old timers in saying that the tutorial chains are great, much better than when I started. Hit F11 to bring up the list of those agents nearest you; I recommend doing each category once, if only to introduce you to the basis of the main "parts" of EvE.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, most of us will answer you if asked directly. If you try pvp and got your excrement pushed in, send the guy a mail, ask what you did wrong from his PoV, chances are they know why they won (or think they do) and will share.

At least, I know I do, I know my corp mates do, most pirate types I associate with do...EvE is a very weird place. We will steal your stuff, gank you, shoot you in the face, call you names and hit on your mom, but we will also explain how best to avoid all of those things happening, and help raise money for people we never met.

Ask questions, try everything, be zen.

http://www.twitch.tv/bociwen - Newbie Friendly Q&A, Terrible Solo PvP

@BociSammiches

UHURT's Link Guy

Haruchai Khan
Doomheim
#32 - 2015-07-19 07:46:25 UTC
If it helps, OP, I've been playing EVE for a couple of months now - coming from an unrelated MMO - and my skill list is all over the place. That hasn't stopped me from having a lot of fun and some good fights (one of which I actually won - well, got a faint mention on the kill mail, two credits lower than the ship's asthmatic rat).

I did the career agents, continued to do a bit of mining, got seduced into faction warfare so stopped the mining train to develop Rifter skills, got fascinated by the market mechanism so toyed with some trade skills, went back to fighting skills, read here about a suggested core skill plan, started it, saw it streamlined with an Assault Frigate skill plan I'd seen, implemented that, added in cloaking, tweaked it all a bit in line with more info from here and the wiki because I thought I knew some stuff now, played a bit with EveMon and saw some cool skills, resisted the urge to try them out, left FW to develop my RP interest which meant Social Skills, and after that detour disciplined myself to get fitting core skills developed because I found I was always up against power grid problems in my chosen Firetail, developed some Destroyer skill to be able to cope with some of the missions that you can't do in a frigate and forced myself to stick to my Assault Frigate plan which is due up in three weeks time. Shocked

I expect a similar mess is seen in pretty much every newbie character. Who cares, really? I feel the more important skills I've developed are an understanding of the game, how to use bookmarks and safe points, manual piloting, and limiting my early urge to run screaming from the field the moment another ship glanced in my direction. None of the skills I may have 'wasted' time on affect whatever career I will eventually concentrate on. In the great scheme of things, I have 'lost' a month or so of time. I could biomass this character and start again with a more streamlined skill plan, but a) I know that I may find something new and fascinating again and b) my passion is RP and the character with all his flaws is who he is (and reading lore, for example, I can build the FW experience into a backstory). As with writing a novel, you never quite know where your characters are going to take you.

You may feel differently, in which case it's no big deal to start a character and play around for a month or two, decide what you want to do from real experience (bear in mind, your choice will almost certainly be driven by whoever you meet - the corp you join and stick with may well have a role for you that you never thought was going to be your choice, but you love it because your corp-mates benefit) and then biomass the trial character.

Hope it all goes well. As everyone has said, have fun first and foremost!

The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.

Previous page12