These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Are there any other character skill trainers pls?

Author
mier
#1 - 2011-12-31 15:59:01 UTC
hi all..

I am wondering if there is any other skill trainer programs like evemon that i can use, as evemon has just never worked for me in 6 years of trying.

Cheers
Mier
Kilrayn
Caldari Provisions
#2 - 2011-12-31 16:05:54 UTC
I use EvEHQ. It's much more than a skill planner, so if that's all you're looking for you may want to look for something else. I am not aware of any other skill planner aside from those two.

"Music is a mysterious thing. Sometimes it makes people remember things they do not expect. Many thoughts, feelings, memories... things almost forgotten... Regardless of whether the listener desires to remember or not." - Citan Uzuki, Xenogears

Velicitia
XS Tech
#3 - 2011-12-31 16:06:35 UTC
evehq hs a planner. Don't use it too much though.

though, why doesn't EVEMon work for you? you playing on mac/*nix?

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

mier
#4 - 2011-12-31 16:13:22 UTC
hi..

No idea why evemon not working, AGAIN.

nothing wrong my end, just a nicely built desktop running windows xp OS. It has been a constant dissapointment whenever i have tried to use evemon, there is always somethin wrong with it, and i am not so computer minded as some. Thus generally i end up giving up with it, as i have again done today,( API key is not being accepted). For a program with so many bugs in it, i am supprised people use it at all..

Thankyou for telling me about evehq, i had no idea tbh that existed, i will go play with it asap.

Cheers
Mier
Kilrayn
Caldari Provisions
#5 - 2011-12-31 16:23:28 UTC
mier wrote:
hi..

No idea why evemon not working, AGAIN.

nothing wrong my end, just a nicely built desktop running windows xp OS. It has been a constant dissapointment whenever i have tried to use evemon, there is always somethin wrong with it, and i am not so computer minded as some. Thus generally i end up giving up with it, as i have again done today,( API key is not being accepted). For a program with so many bugs in it, i am supprised people use it at all..

Thankyou for telling me about evehq, i had no idea tbh that existed, i will go play with it asap.

Cheers
Mier

There have been recent changes to how the API works. It will take some leg work on your part, but you now have to create a custom API key and set accesses for programs.

If you're not very computer savvy, it may be easier to just use a sheet of paper. You can now see your training times for ships and items in-game now, so you can just add them up manually if the whole API thing is too annoying.

"Music is a mysterious thing. Sometimes it makes people remember things they do not expect. Many thoughts, feelings, memories... things almost forgotten... Regardless of whether the listener desires to remember or not." - Citan Uzuki, Xenogears

mier
#6 - 2011-12-31 16:23:31 UTC
Hi again..

Next really dumd question, but. Were is EVEHQ to be found pls?. Is it not an offical part of eve-online?

Cheers
Mier
Kilrayn
Caldari Provisions
#7 - 2011-12-31 16:24:44 UTC
mier wrote:
Hi again..

Next really dumd question, but. Were is EVEHQ to be found pls?. Is it not an offical part of eve-online?

Cheers
Mier

evehq.net

Famble
Three's a Crowd
#8 - 2011-12-31 16:29:01 UTC
mier wrote:
Hi again..

Cheers
Mier

You are indeed a bit helpless aren't you. Here.

I suspect user error getting EveMon to work. You should work to get that going because it's an epic application that no Eve player can live without.

Post what's happening when you try to use it we'll figure out what's what.

If anyone ever looks at you and says,_ "Hold my beer, watch this,"_  you're probably going to want to pay attention.

mier
#9 - 2011-12-31 16:30:26 UTC  |  Edited by: mier
hi again.

Quote:
If you're not very computer savvy, it may be easier to just use a sheet of paper. You can now see your training times for ships and items in-game now, so you can just add them up manually if the whole API thing is too annoying.
Quote:

Using a sheet of paper is were i have been the last 6 years, lol, i fancy a change.

I'm am not very computer savvy, i just assume i DL the program - install it - add my api and user ID - and it would work, but i guess evemon does not work this way,lol. Something tells me here that they really need to sort it out. 6 years of going back to look, and everytime there are issues with it.

EDITED- i am left wondering, why did CCP introduce remaps when they forgot to introduce a tool to be able to use them, crazy logic imo.

Cheers Mier
malaire
#10 - 2011-12-31 16:34:48 UTC
Famble wrote:
I suspect user error getting EveMon to work. You should work to get that going because it's an epic application that no Eve player can live without.

Post what's happening when you try to use it we'll figure out what's what.

EVEMon actually is really buggy, and when I tried to report bug on their forum I just got answer that they cant reproduce it even through I am getting same crash repeatedly.

If I knew any other similar program I'd stop using it at once.

New to EVE? Don't forget to read: The Manual * The Wiki * The Career Options * and everything else

Roh Voleto
Doomheim
#11 - 2011-12-31 16:39:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Roh Voleto
This sounds like a user error, indeed. My guess is that there is something wrong with OP's .net install. Consider upgrading to Windows 7, if you have at least 1GB of RAM.

There are also Aura and Evanova for Android. I can't endorse them though, because their authors insist on BS DRM and refuse to simply release versions of their applications everybody can use without felating google.

malaire wrote:

EVEMon actually is really buggy, and when I tried to report bug on their forum I just got answer that they cant reproduce it even through I am getting same crash repeatedly.

This is a common problem with enthusiast projects. Try to reproduce the error on a different machine.
Famble
Three's a Crowd
#12 - 2011-12-31 16:43:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Famble
mier wrote:
hi again.

Quote:
Quote:

Using a sheet of paper is were i have been the last 6 years, lol, i fancy a change.

I'm am not very computer savvy, i just assume i DL the program - install it - add my api and user ID - and it would work, but i guess evemon does not work this way,lol. Something tells me here that they really need to sort it out. 6 years of going back to look, and everytime there are issues with it.

EDITED- i am left wondering, why did CCP introduce remaps when they forgot to introduce a tool to be able to use them, crazy logic imo.

Cheers Mier

I can't argue with you about an in house ccp tool for skill training etc. They should have one indeed. I can't speak to evehq as i don't use it. I have always used evemon and on the infrequent occasion it has a bug its never been unusable.

If you're getting the winnet error when importing your api you can usually just click import again and it'll work. Also try "running it as administrator" by right clicking the shortcut and selecting that. Finally, you can create a character manually in evemon and wet its attributes manually.

That's all I can think of sorry :(

If anyone ever looks at you and says,_ "Hold my beer, watch this,"_  you're probably going to want to pay attention.

mier
#13 - 2011-12-31 16:46:18 UTC  |  Edited by: mier
Famble

I assume i have DL evemon correctly, it seemed to install ok, and update my .net(?) thingy that i was reading others had some issues with, so i guess they have added the .net fix.
I run evemon, and it opens up all ok, i go to file - add api key , it opens the window no problems. When i try to add my user ID and API key and click next, it refuses it everytime . Only message i get is - authentication failure - either ID or verification code you provided was wrong.
But yet it works on EFT no problems.

EDITED-
I unfortuanlty cannot afford W7 atm, but hope to upgrade when it is possible, as i agree it is a better OS. My computer itself is only 1month old, 8g ram - 6 core phenom - asus MB, built myself, so i know my comp is good to go and should not be the problem.

Cheers
Mier
malaire
#14 - 2011-12-31 16:52:40 UTC
mier wrote:
Famble

I assume i have DL evemon correctly, it seemed to install ok, and update my .net(?) thingy that i was reading others had some issues with, so i guess they have added the .net fix.
I run evemon, and it opens up all ok, i go to file - add api key , it opens the window no problems. When i try to add my user ID and API key and click next, it refuses it everytime . Only message i get is - authentication failure - either ID or verification code you provided was wrong.

Cheers
Mier

You can't use UserID + old API key in EVEMon anymore, you need to use new API keys (API KEY ID + verification code) from https://support.eveonline.com/api/

New to EVE? Don't forget to read: The Manual * The Wiki * The Career Options * and everything else

mier
#15 - 2011-12-31 16:59:54 UTC  |  Edited by: mier
Malaire - I have clicked on that link, and logged in etc, i see what u are saying about using a verification code, and not the api key. But this link only shows me the same api key number, i do not see any other codes etc, sorry for my newbness on these things if i am missing something obvious.
Only options are - create api key - delete, my current api key - or api access log

Cheers Mier
Irumani
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#16 - 2011-12-31 17:10:04 UTC
mier wrote:
Malaire - I have clicked on that link, and logged in etc, i see what u are saying about using a verification code, and not the api key. But this link only shows me the same api key number, i do not see any other codes etc, sorry for my newbness on these things if i am missing something obvious.
Only options are - create api key - delete, my current api key - or api access log

Cheers Mier

"Create API Key" on top-right of the screen, maybe ?

You're not supposed to feel like you're logging in to a happy, happy, fluffy, fluffy lala land filled with fun and adventures, that's what hello kitty online is for.

• CCP Wrangler
Famble
Three's a Crowd
#17 - 2011-12-31 17:11:13 UTC
malaire wrote:
mier wrote:
Famble

Cheers
Mier

You can't use UserID + old API key in EVEMon anymore, you need to use new API keys (API KEY ID + verification code) from https://support.eveonline.com/api/

Mal's right. This is your problem. It's quite confusing setting and getting the new API codes for someone that's admittedly not computer savvy.

1. Go to the site Mal linked
2. Click Create API Key
3. Give it a name
4. Choose "All" for character
5. Select all the checkboxes on the right side of the page
6. Click submit
7. You should now have a new-style API key at the top of the page
8. write down the "ID" value
9. write down the "Verification Code"
10. Import those into EveMon

Velicitia
XS Tech
#18 - 2011-12-31 17:14:24 UTC
1. go to the link posted.
2. there's a "create new API Key" link to the left of the "Customizable API Key" header. Click it
3. Name it, leave "All" characters (it's easier this way IMO), Type "Character", No Expiry (again, I'm lazy)
4. Choose the information that EVEMon says it needs

Alternatively, use this link to generate a Full CHARACTER API Key (you just need to name it and set the expiration date) -- https://support.eveonline.com/api/Key/CreatePredefined/134217727

It'll work in evemon, and other tools like Dedaf's spreadsheet or EVEhq, etc.

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Famble
Three's a Crowd
#19 - 2011-12-31 17:40:00 UTC
Velicitia wrote:
1. go to the link posted.
2. there's a "create new API Key" link to the left of the "Customizable API Key" header. Click it
3. Name it, leave "All" characters (it's easier this way IMO), Type "Character", No Expiry (again, I'm lazy)
4. Choose the information that EVEMon says it needs

Alternatively, use this link to generate a Full CHARACTER API Key (you just need to name it and set the expiration date) -- https://support.eveonline.com/api/Key/CreatePredefined/134217727

It'll work in evemon, and other tools like Dedaf's spreadsheet or EVEhq, etc.

Good link, forgot about that. That's the one to use indeed and as easy as it gets. Let us know if you get it sorted as for whatever reason as I'm running errands with the family today I keep pulling this thread up on my phone...

mier
#20 - 2011-12-31 17:57:35 UTC
hi again ..

Big thanks to every1 for your help, i have finally, after 6 years, finally got onto evemon. Character has loaded up and seems to be working fine, not that i have played about with it yet.

Well at the end of what has been a frustrating day trying to get evemon to work again, i can simply say that if CCP would like to change the - "Create API Key" - to - " Create new API Key/Authentification Code" - or something similar, i would of worked this out hours ago.

Again a big thankyou to every1 for helping me sort this out, i would not of got there without you RollBig smile

Cheers
Mier
12Next page