These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

EvE online numbers

Author
Kuronaga
The Dead Parrot Shoppe Inc.
The Chicken Coop
#61 - 2015-07-12 10:32:53 UTC
I'd just like to point out that pretty much every EVE trailer in recent memory has made heavy use of Ambulation, Dust, or Valkyrie content to supplement it.

I'd say the trailer guys have a better grasp of what excites people better than the developers themselves do, and thats kind of a problem in and of itself.
0bama Barack Hussein
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#62 - 2015-07-12 15:01:17 UTC
Kuronaga wrote:
I'd just like to point out that pretty much every EVE trailer in recent memory has made heavy use of Ambulation, Dust, or Valkyrie content to supplement it.

I'd say the trailer guys have a better grasp of what excites people better than the developers themselves do, and thats kind of a problem in and of itself.

Yeah, I know people who have seen EvE trailers, thought game is like that, then disappointed...

ED trailers atleast try to give some percpection what the game is like.

Maybe CCP should not build too big expectations, because dropping from higher hurts more.

Look at WoW players, they like the game and it´s mechanics, eventhough graphics and visuals are total crap, they don´t need fancy trailers and have millions of players..

EvE has always said to be niche game for just certain type of players (strategic etc.), where is the "niche" if trailers look like newer ED and SC trailers?
Umar Umarhabib
Doomheim
#63 - 2015-07-12 16:03:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Umar Umarhabib
0bama Barack Hussein wrote:
Kuronaga wrote:

Yeah, I know people who have seen EvE trailers, thought game is like that, then disappointed...

ED trailers atleast try to give some percpection what the game is like.

Maybe CCP should not build too big expectations, because dropping from higher hurts more.

Look at WoW players, they like the game and it´s mechanics, eventhough graphics and visuals are total crap, they don´t need fancy trailers and have millions of players..

EvE has always said to be niche game for just certain type of players (strategic etc.), where is the "niche" if trailers look like newer ED and SC trailers?

I also think CCP needs to do something to expand this "niche" by lowering the Barrier to Entry. Barrier to Entry is a main reason that keeps new players out.

Eve is over 10 years old. Before starting the game, most new players would consider if they will ever be able to catch up to the "veterans" because it takes years to train skill points.

WoW is also over 10 years old, but they still have around 7 million subscribers. To keep getting new players, one of the things that Blizzard does correctly is to lower the Barrier to Entry. So they offer a service to instantly boost your character to level 90 for $60. Without these measures to lower the barrier to entry, I doubt they would have as many new players.

Here are a few ideas on how CCP can lower the barrier to entry:

1. Create a system where you can earn skill points faster by doing certain missions. Or these missions would reward you skill points that you can apply towards skills.

2. Use PLEX, or pay an additional $14.95 per month to earn Skill Points at double the speed for a month.

3. Create a rare item drop that instantly boosts a particular skill to level 4 or level 5. However, this item is very rare, and very expensive. Perhaps some noobs will consider buying plex to pay for this item.

4. Use PLEX to buy Skill Points, perhaps at a 50% premium or double the price. If you think about it, skill points are the same as game time. You use game time to train skill points. So why shouldn't game time be interchangeable with skill points?
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#64 - 2015-07-12 16:44:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Umar Umarhabib wrote:
I also think CCP needs to do something to expand this "niche" by lowering the Barrier to Entry. Barrier to Entry is a main reason that keeps new players out.

Eve is over 10 years old. Before starting the game, most new players would consider if they will ever be able to catch up to the "veterans" because it takes years to train skill points.
There is no need for them to catch up with a veteran in terms of amount of SP, only a little of a vets total SP applies at any one time. What the SP does do is allow a veteran choice.

Just like real life, you start at the bottom of the food chain and work your way up.

Quote:
WoW is also over 10 years old, but they still have around 7 million subscribers. To keep getting new players, one of the things that Blizzard does correctly is to lower the Barrier to Entry.
By making a game that appeals to a very wide audience, WoW clones attempt to tap into that audience and often fail. CCP have never attempted to tap into that demographic with Eve, it's not the kind of game they wanted to make.

Quote:
So they offer a service to instantly boost your character to level 90 for $60. Without these measures to lower the barrier to entry, I doubt they would have as many new players.
While there is no max levels in Eve this service is already available, in keeping with the ethos of player driven it's a service fueled by players, it's called the character bazaar.

It's not a wise idea for newbies to use it but the service does exist.

Quote:
Here are a few ideas on how CCP can lower the barrier to entry:

1. Create a system where you can earn skill points faster by doing certain missions.

2. Use PLEX, or pay an additional $14.95 per month to earn Skill Points at double the speed for a month.

3. Create a rare item drop that instantly boosts a particular skill to level 4 or level 5. However, this item is very rare, and very expensive. Perhaps some noobs will consider buying plex to pay for this item.

4. Use PLEX to buy Skill Points, perhaps at a 50% premium or double the price. If you think about it, skill points are the same as game time. You use game time to train skill points. So why shouldn't game time be interchangeable with skill points?
1: You want to add grind? No thanks

2: Microtransactions, which includes services for PLEX, that offer an ingame advantage do not belong in a subscription MMO. They are an analogue of gold ships and ammo, something CCP will be very very cautious about even suggesting after the summer of rage.
  • Dual character training isn't an advantage because you can only log one character per account in at a time.
  • Double training speeds are an advantage because with such a service a player who chucks money at it gains character SP at twice the rate of one who doesn't.

• 3: Cue complaints about scams involving said rare item, calls for nerfs to margin trading, and some really expensive kills; it'd backfire hilariously.

4: Why should game time be exchangeable for SP? You made the suggestion, it's up to you to put a case forward that supports it.

Initial thoughts, no.

If you want to be taken seriously, come up with a well thought out proposal for one or more of your ideas. Showing that you understand the effects that such a proposal would have on Eve in general and more specifically the price of PLEX, preferably with some graphs; we like graphs.

You should then post it over in Features and Ideas where it can the level of attention it deserves from both CCP and other players.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Umar Umarhabib
    Doomheim
    #65 - 2015-07-12 17:18:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Umar Umarhabib
    Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
    1: You want to add grind? No thanks

2: Microtransactions, which includes services for PLEX, that offer an ingame advantage do not belong in a subscription MMO. They are an analogue of gold ships and ammo, something CCP will be very very cautious about even suggesting after the summer of rage.
  • Dual character training isn't an advantage because you can only log one character per account in at a time.
  • Double training speeds are an advantage because with such a service a player who chucks money at it gains character SP at twice the rate of one who doesn't.

• 3: Cue complaints about scams involving said rare item, calls for nerfs to margin trading, and some really expensive kills; it'd backfire hilariously.

4: Why should game time be exchangeable for SP? You made the suggestion, it's up to you to put a case forward that supports it.

In short, no.

1. Not necessarily add grind, but give the options to new players if they choose. That's why I said "certain missions". There would be missions that offer ISK, and also missions that offer SP, it depends on what they choose to do. They can do either one or the other.

2. There are MMO's operating successfully with both Microtransaction and Subscription. They are not mutually exclusive, because WoW is not doing it. I'm not saying Eve should copy WoW, but you can see they are not mutually exclusive. Of course you can never fully copy something 100%, but you take the concepts that work.

3. What's wrong with having scams involved in these items? There is already scams involved with everything else. I don't see a problem here. You see shuttles getting popped with 20 PLEX'es on board all the time.

4. To get new players. When I started playing a few years ago, one of the things that made me hesitate was the time it takes to train. So what I did was trade and make ISK, then spent 20 billion ISK to buy a fully trained character. But I would have never started playing Eve in the first place, if I didn't see a way to upgrade quicker. I didn't want to wait 4 years for a fully trained character. I would imagine a lot of players are the same way.

I don't understand why #4 is such a controversial topic, it doesn't have to be. Because you can already buy PLEX, convert it to ISK, and use the ISK to buy everything else. This just gives new players more options. Because otherwise they'd have to buy PLEX, sell for ISK, find a character on Character Bazaar, make the transfer, etc. It just makes the entire process more complicated than it has to be. I understand some people are concerned this might devalue their characters, that's if you noticed, I said Skill Points are obtained this way, are done so at a 50% - 100% premium.

Perhaps for some people there is also ego involved as a reason for the opposition. Perhaps some people enjoy seeing noobs forever below them.
    Jenshae Chiroptera
    #66 - 2015-07-12 17:23:37 UTC
    Umar Umarhabib wrote:
    ... Barrier to Entry is a main reason that keeps new players out. ...
    No.

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Umar Umarhabib
    Doomheim
    #67 - 2015-07-12 17:30:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Umar Umarhabib
    Jonah Gravenstein wrote:

If you want to be taken seriously, come up with a well thought out proposal for one or more of your ideas. Showing that you understand the effects that such a proposal would have on Eve in general and more specifically the price of PLEX, preferably with some graphs; we like graphs.

You should then post it over in Features and Ideas where it can the level of attention it deserves from both CCP and other players.

These are just general ideas, and I don't think they're all that bad. They are just concepts.

If CCP think they might have potential, then it's their role to do the number crunching and see if it works.

Everything starts out with a general concept, then the concept is investigated further to see if they will work.

My role as a supportive customer is to pay the $14.95 per month on 3 accounts, and call out a few ideas (or concepts) if I think they might help the game.
    Jonah Gravenstein
    Machiavellian Space Bastards
    #68 - 2015-07-12 17:34:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
    Umar Umarhabib wrote:
    1. Not necessarily add grind, but give the options to new players if they choose. That's why I say "certain missions". There are missions that offer ISK, and missions that offer SP, depends on what they choose to do. Either one or the other.
    Older players would game the hell out of it to train their own alts faster and more effectively, Malcanis' Law applies.

Quote:
    2. There are MMO's operating successfully with both Microtransaction and Subscription. They are not mutually exclusive, because WoW is not doing it. I'm not saying Eve has to copy WoW, but I'm saying they are not mutually exclusive.
    Eve is an MMO that is currently operating successfully with both microtransactions and subscription, I never suggested that they were mutually exclusive. What I did say is that microtransactions that offer an advantage have no place in a subscription MMO, especially in one such as Eve that is almost completely player driven.

Quote:
    3. What's wrong with scams involved in these items? There are already scams involved with everything else. I don't see a problem here.
    I don't either, but others will. There are people that squeal like stuck pigs when someone scams them or ganks them for any reason, let alone something they mistakenly feel that they've invested RL cash in via PLEX. This would give them something else to whine about.

Quote:
    4. To get new players. When I started playing a few years ago, one of the things that made me hesitate was the time it takes to train. So what I did was trade and make ISK, then spent 20 billion ISK to buy a fully trained character. But I would have never started playing Eve in the first place, if I didn't see a way to upgrade quicker. I didn't want to wait 4 years for a fully trained character. I would imagine a lot of players are the same way.
    Other new players can do exactly the same as you did, buy a character.

As for waiting for 4 years for a "fully trained" character, you have no idea how wrong you are.
    *shakes head sadly*

Quote:
    I don't understand why #4 is such a controversial topic, it doesn't have to be. Because you can already buy PLEX, convert it to ISK, and use the ISK to buy everything else. This just gives new players more options. Because otherwise they'd have to buy PLEX, sell for ISK, find a character on Character Bazaar, make the transfer, etc.
    One involves arbitrarily producing SP for cash, the other involves the SP being gained in the normal manner over time by another player.

It'd affect both PLEX price and the value of other players time when they sell characters in the character bazaar.

You should read this thread, it covers most of your proposals and means that we don't risk going off topic by going over old ground.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Commander Spurty
    #69 - 2015-07-12 21:03:10 UTC
    I'm actually not against the idea of being able to buy skill points.

You have $2,000 to spend?

By all means, create your 200mill sp pod pilot brother.

Unless you have 30,000 friends doing the same, you wont affect anything in the sandbox

There are good ships,

And wood ships,

And ships that sail the sea

But the best ships are Spaceships

Built by CCP

Giaus Felix
    Doomheim
    #70 - 2015-07-12 21:19:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Giaus Felix
    Commander Spurty wrote:
    I'm actually not against the idea of being able to buy skill points.

You have $2,000 to spend?

By all means, create your 200mill sp pod pilot brother.

Unless you have 30,000 friends doing the same, you wont affect anything in the sandbox
    You can already do so, spend some money on Plex and buy a high SP character from another player for Isk.

What people object to is the creation from thin air of SP, it bypasses an existing service powered by players; and it smacks of pay to win, regardless of the fact that trying to do so in Eve generally results in failure.

I came for the spaceships, I stayed for the tears.

Xiang Maia
    Doomheim
    #71 - 2015-07-13 02:40:43 UTC
    I'd say it was the FozzieSov changes and the general "sweeping" changes that CCP is trying to make to try and make the game relevant...at least as they see it....the game has been relevant without all these stupid changes (e.g. Fatigue and FozzieSov).
    Lulu Lunette
    Savage Moon Society
    #72 - 2015-07-13 03:21:47 UTC
    I've only skimmed the thread; but I gotta say I can't believe they haven't already gone to using PLEX for SP

Quote:

Please Confirm

Do you want to redeem this 1 x 30 Day PLEX for Advanced Weapon Upgrades V?

@lunettelulu7

Kuronaga
    The Dead Parrot Shoppe Inc.
    The Chicken Coop
    #73 - 2015-07-13 03:42:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Kuronaga
    Barrier to entry is fine. There is a thriving market for "difficult" games, and things such as proper social and exploratory ambulation along with Valkyrie and Dust can pull people into the same player universe. That was the plan for easing in that demographic, and that plan was solid. There was never any reason to deviate from it, yet CCP did and this is the end result. Stagnation.

The hardline excuse of "EVE is about Spaceships" only goes so far. Yea, EVE is about space ships. But CCP wasn't supposed to just be developing EVE, they were supposed to be developing New Eden. And New Eden isn't about space ships.

I always found that bit out of Seagull rather perplexing. You know, the "Dare to Dream" bit during her presentations? Because all I've seen is more of the same. Even the prospect of opening your own stargates isn't terribly exciting to me. You open new space? Great, you know what it looks like? More of the old space. A big empty room disguised as stars. With a shrinking playerbase I'd say we don't need more empty rooms that can't really be filled with anything worthwhile. So whatever dream I'm supposed to be daring to have, it doesn't sound like a particularly exciting one.

CCP needs to get back on the horse they fell off of and branch out.
    Malcanis
    Vanishing Point.
    The Initiative.
    #74 - 2015-07-13 03:51:49 UTC
    Kuronaga wrote:

Uh, no they haven't.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Hasikan Miallok
    Republic University
    Minmatar Republic
    #75 - 2015-07-13 04:01:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Hasikan Miallok
    Umar Umarhabib wrote:
    ... Barrier to Entry is a main reason that keeps new players out. ...

They sort of have with the changes that are making caps and supers more and more irrelevant. The "end game" for a lot of players is now a Pirate BS, Tengu or Ishtar, all achievable in 6 months.

The real issue is whether they want to focus on churn players (who will play the latest greatest shiniest game for a while then drop it like a hot potato when something newer and shiney comes along) and hence have a high player turnover rate and make the profit on the churn or instead build a dedicated player base who want to build characters up over a period of many years.
    Sunrise Aigele
    Pemberley Enterprises
    #76 - 2015-07-13 04:04:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Sunrise Aigele
    I believe that the challenge EVE faces is the same challenge I would face introducing someone who was accustomed to fast food to a slow cooker. The food is better and richer and more nutritious, but you have to prepare it and then you have to wait for it. There is an art to it. Once you have mastered the art, it seems as if there is no wait, because you are doing other things while it cooks.

The easiest way to sell someone on the value of slow cooking is to serve them some food made that way--but quickly, because that is what they are accustomed to. If you tell them to wait 4 hours, they will go to a fast food restaurant.
    Webvan
    All Kill No Skill
    #77 - 2015-07-13 04:09:31 UTC
    Malcanis wrote:
    Kuronaga wrote:

Uh, no they haven't.

Uh, #KateeSackhoffIsHawt ?? Though most discussions are usually young boys participating.

I'm in it for the money

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F12