These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

HML Tengu - Killing Frigets (pve)

Author
Celise Katelo
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1 - 2015-07-11 16:29:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Celise Katelo
I'm currently using HML Tengu, but really can't decide on what ammo to use on Frigets (pve).

The reason i ask such a question:

I was trying to limit the amount of space i use in my cargo hold. But also wanted to complete security missions fast. Is it worth carrying 3 types of ammo or stick to using Caldari Navy Scourage Heavy Missiles on Frigets ? ,

I went with Cal because of the long range so i can get them out the way as soon as they show up, over Precision. But sometimes some missions i land 20km, so Precision would work out better...

Scourge Fury Heavy Missile - I currently use for all ships above Friget
Scourge Precision Heavy Missile - close range Friget killing
Caldari Navy Scourge Heavy Missile - For when Frigets happen to be far away

What ammo types do you prefer to use ? Or did you change ammo types because of the new modules introduced ?

EVEBoard ...Just over 60million skill points, each skill was chosen for a reason. I closed my eyes & clicked another skill to train... "BINGO...!!!" ... "This time i got something usefull"

RavenPaine
RaVeN Alliance
#2 - 2015-07-11 17:10:13 UTC
I (almost always) Land in sites, or jump through gates, with precisions loaded. That way I can immediately deal with close tackle frigates. Then when I feel I have the situation in hand, I switch to whatever I need. If I feel that someone might jump into my site, I get range and load up the Caldari Navy's. They cost about triple, so I use them sparingly, but I still use them up when I'm out of other missile types.
I generally head out with
1500 Caldari Heavy
2500 Precision
5000 Fury.

Haven't tried the new mods yet. What I have, works now.
Tiberius Heth
Doomheim
#3 - 2015-07-11 17:24:49 UTC
You will still be better off with precisions even if you combine rigors/flare with the guidance mods, the REAL question should be "should I switch to HAM" and from what I can see the answer is "yes".
Paranoid Loyd
#4 - 2015-07-11 17:34:54 UTC
Tiberius Heth wrote:
YThe REAL question should be "should I switch to HAM" and from what I can see the answer is "yes".
That depends on the PVE we are talking about, OP can you be more specific?

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

Riot Girl
You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
#5 - 2015-07-11 18:23:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Riot Girl
Since the new missile modules have come out, it seems HMLs are now more useless than they've ever been due to HAMs being so much better. Thanks for the 5% DPS buff though, it was cool.
Celise Katelo
State War Academy
Caldari State
#6 - 2015-07-11 18:23:51 UTC
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
Tiberius Heth wrote:
YThe REAL question should be "should I switch to HAM" and from what I can see the answer is "yes".
That depends on the PVE we are talking about, OP can you be more specific?


Ops, level 4 security missions.
I think i did put security missions, just forgot to put what level.

HAM is out of the question for the time being, since i only have Tech2 in HML.


So i should keep with the 3 ammo types then, i guess P

EVEBoard ...Just over 60million skill points, each skill was chosen for a reason. I closed my eyes & clicked another skill to train... "BINGO...!!!" ... "This time i got something usefull"

RavenPaine
RaVeN Alliance
#7 - 2015-07-11 19:51:05 UTC
Riot Girl wrote:
Since the new missile modules have come out, it seems HMLs are now more useless than they've ever been due to HAMs being so much better. Thanks for the 5% DPS buff though, it was cool.


Heavies got 5%? It means a lot for what I do, and it is a reasonable adjustment.
Riot Girl
You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
#8 - 2015-07-11 20:57:48 UTC
I don't think it's enough. I think they need to be put back to the way they were in the old days.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#9 - 2015-07-12 18:50:21 UTC
Celise Katelo wrote:
I'm currently using HML Tengu, but really can't decide on what ammo to use on Frigets (pve).

The reason i ask such a question:

I was trying to limit the amount of space i use in my cargo hold. But also wanted to complete security missions fast. Is it worth carrying 3 types of ammo or stick to using Caldari Navy Scourage Heavy Missiles on Frigets ? ,

I went with Cal because of the long range so i can get them out the way as soon as they show up, over Precision. But sometimes some missions i land 20km, so Precision would work out better...

Scourge Fury Heavy Missile - I currently use for all ships above Friget
Scourge Precision Heavy Missile - close range Friget killing
Caldari Navy Scourge Heavy Missile - For when Frigets happen to be far away

What ammo types do you prefer to use ? Or did you change ammo types because of the new modules introduced ?



T1 scourge worked fine in my experience. You could use CN I guess.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

stoicfaux
#10 - 2015-07-12 22:49:55 UTC
I normally used Fury to kill Frigates. Fury works fine on non-elite level 4 frigates. For elite NPC frigates the 20 seconds to swap to T1 (or precision) and then back to Fury wouldn't result in much time savings.

When blitzing Damsel, I would Fury the station until the Spider Drones popped and then downgrade to T1 to kill the Spider Drones and finish the station. (However, since then, T1 and Precision ammo were changed to do the same damage, so I would go with Precision nowadays.)



Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Caleb Seremshur
Naked Oiled Bodybuilders
Parasitic Legion.
#11 - 2015-07-14 00:07:25 UTC
Celise Katelo wrote:
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
Tiberius Heth wrote:
YThe REAL question should be "should I switch to HAM" and from what I can see the answer is "yes".
That depends on the PVE we are talking about, OP can you be more specific?


Ops, level 4 security missions.
I think i did put security missions, just forgot to put what level.

HAM is out of the question for the time being, since i only have Tech2 in HML.


So i should keep with the 3 ammo types then, i guess P


Invest in a golem. For pve it has no rival. Some might argue for the rattlesnake but that is very contentious and comes down to a variety of circumstances.
Amanda Chan
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2015-07-14 01:37:37 UTC
Caleb Seremshur wrote:
Celise Katelo wrote:
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
Tiberius Heth wrote:
YThe REAL question should be "should I switch to HAM" and from what I can see the answer is "yes".
That depends on the PVE we are talking about, OP can you be more specific?


Ops, level 4 security missions.
I think i did put security missions, just forgot to put what level.

HAM is out of the question for the time being, since i only have Tech2 in HML.


So i should keep with the 3 ammo types then, i guess P


Invest in a golem. For pve it has no rival. Some might argue for the rattlesnake but that is very contentious and comes down to a variety of circumstances.


That's not true at all. First of all the Rattle deals more damage then the Golem and also saves more ammo. It uses 1 more launcher but has 7.5 effective heavy/sentry drones that will match your missile damage. The only bonus that the Golem has over the Rattle is that it's more effective with it's cruises vs smaller targets(something the Rattle can just shoot with sentry drones for no ammo) and that it's fitting is cheaper.

Secondly the Machariel and Vargur also have selectable damage type, instant damage application and can complete missions faster due to being able to rig for warp speed. Their downside is you spend more on ammo.

Now don't get me wrong, I love my Golem but saying that it has no rival is patently false.

@OP Using HML I would shoot precisions at frigs as they apply better. Using HAMs = more dps but also time spent getting closer to your target. It's the same reason why I prefer Cruise Golem over Torp Golem. Sure the Torp Golem does more damage but it's not always in range. With Cruise Golem I am pretty much always in range.
Celise Katelo
State War Academy
Caldari State
#13 - 2015-07-14 14:33:55 UTC
Golem & Rattler are on my list of stuff i would like to fly at some point. But not going to happen any time soon.

I love the idea of being able to jump into different ships, having different play styles is something i really like. But my knowledge for Tengu is so limited. I would prefer to keep learning on how to fly this new ship i have just trained for. Even if its not optimal compared to other ship types for what i'm using it for.

My end goal is to attempt the "Maze" , with my Tengu. I've been watching some cool video's of Tengu & it looks like really good fun. This is the main reason i'm doing level 4 missions to get ISK & learn what the ship can do.

I love messing about doing level 4 security missions, with my new Tengu. But It does seem rather slow compared to my Gila. It was a little disappointing to say the least. Saying that, i have been feeding my Gila with steroids. My drones move like Bruce Lee Blink , but without the grace & subtility. Well ok, bad metaphor. The move about like hornets with diarrhoea (such angry little things).

back on subject... I think i will load up Scourge Precision Heavy Missile, before i warp to location. Blap Friglets then change to Fury.

Cargo hold looks like this:

5000 - Scourge Fury Heavy Missile
4000 - Caldari Navy Scourge Heavy Missile
4000 - Scourge Precision Heavy Missile
250 - Nanite Repair Paste
x1 Fedo

EVEBoard ...Just over 60million skill points, each skill was chosen for a reason. I closed my eyes & clicked another skill to train... "BINGO...!!!" ... "This time i got something usefull"