These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Want to move to a C5 or possibly a C6 and need advice

Author
Humera
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1 - 2011-12-30 20:01:51 UTC
Currently we are in a C4 and we EASILY run the sites in a 2 rr Tengu setup. Can pretty much surf the internet/afk the sites at the moment. We are looking at moving to the next level because the C4 reminds me too much of the C3 we just left.

Anywho I don't think our current POS setup is appropriate. We have a med tower covered with about 10 guns and quite a few ewar modules. Need advice on a good POS setup. We are wanting to produce caps in the WH so we will be upgrading the station. We're looking for recommended firepower and POS setup.

Next we are wanting to do max cap escalation which I believe is achieved through 2 carriers and 2 dreads. Is this easily done or is the firepower the sleepers will be dishing out a bit too much for the ships? Any recommendations on cap/subcap fleets? No matter what we want max escalation. We will find a way to make it work.

Any other advice for a group who has never gone to a c5 or c6 before? We're probably going to be looking for a LS static.

Thanks in advance for all the advice!
Hamatitio
The Forsakened Few
We Forsakened Few
#2 - 2011-12-30 22:46:25 UTC
How many total characters do you plan on fielding?
Substantia Nigra
Polaris Rising
Goonswarm Federation
#3 - 2011-12-30 23:49:52 UTC
Wow, you guys sound so uber. I find C4s kinda tough, but do-able. Good luck with the upgrading ... and especially good luck finding C5 / C6 with LS static :-)

Anyways, my tuppence of advice is to find larger established w-space group and join them in one of their C5s or C6s. There are a few large w-space alliances around ... not too hard to find with a little effort.

I guess I am almost a 'vet' by now. Hopefully not too bitter and managing to help more than I hinder. I build and sell many things, including large collections of bookmarks.

Humera
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#4 - 2011-12-31 01:37:59 UTC
Hamatitio wrote:
How many total characters do you plan on fielding?

Planning on about 5 - 8 at a time
Humera
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#5 - 2011-12-31 01:41:49 UTC
Substantia Nigra wrote:
Wow, you guys sound so uber. I find C4s kinda tough, but do-able. Good luck with the upgrading ... and especially good luck finding C5 / C6 with LS static :-)

Anyways, my tuppence of advice is to find larger established w-space group and join them in one of their C5s or C6s. There are a few large w-space alliances around ... not too hard to find with a little effort.

Heh thanks. Hope that's not some kind of sarcasm ;) We sold you a c3 about 2 weeks ago I think it was :) How's that one working out for you? Thanks on the wish of luck. We want to be able to comfortably do it but it would be a sad day if we somehow lost several billion isk in the process. I also don't want every null sec alliance running through our WH when they feel like killin something heh.

I'll stick with our corp and just grow it as time goes on since it is after all my corp ;) Just curious btw. How big is your group?
LacLongQuan
Doomheim
#6 - 2011-12-31 02:30:31 UTC  |  Edited by: LacLongQuan
smell like bears
you better off go mission in empire....
Humera
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#7 - 2011-12-31 02:41:20 UTC
LacLongQuan wrote:
smell like bears

Oh that information looks useful. If you are going to come in my thread and talk **** at least be able to speak proper English.
Substantia Nigra
Polaris Rising
Goonswarm Federation
#8 - 2011-12-31 02:43:45 UTC
Humera wrote:
Heh thanks. Hope that's not some kind of sarcasm ;)
Just curious btw. How big is your group?

Me? Sarcastic? Never!

Well, mebbe a little sometimes ;-)

As you know we have just added another C3 to our stable of w-systems. Not J16 in the end though. We have also just dropped our nice little C4.

We could cope with all the C4 sites, but never found them easy as you describe. The clincher with the C4 was, however, that our income was actually less. This was because there were considerably less sites spawning over time than in any of our C3s. The fact that they took a little (or lot) longer to clear wasn't a problem, it's just that we never got as many of them.

Of course we could have gotten moar by setting ourselves up to run as static-connection raiders ... but that's not so attractive to us.

Like you, we toyed with the idea of heading to a C5 but decided not to for the time being.

Firstly I wasn't convinced the actual (per person) income would be better. Sure the sites yield a lot more, but then they're not at all likely to be soloable. Secondly I didn;t want to get gobbled up in a larger group operating on other TZs ... and most everyone operates at *other* TZs to us.

All our systems, C2 / C3 / C4, are solo owner-operator. We help each other out for bigger jobs, like recently clearing all the interbus customs offices, but generally run a small w-space group and some hisec / nullsec alts. In the C4 we ran two-ship local tanking sleeper clearing fleets ... usually a tengu and a rattlesnake. We had very good fleet boost support from the POS and a covops always on watch with a deep space probe deployed. Our guys are variously cross-trained so we also cleared the gas sites and picked the jewels out of the grav sites. Of course we also ran fairly intensive PI ... much as I hate PI it dd contribute a fair bit of income (especially when wetware mainframe prices recently doubled) and more PI POS-fuels than we could ever use.

I guess I am almost a 'vet' by now. Hopefully not too bitter and managing to help more than I hinder. I build and sell many things, including large collections of bookmarks.

Substantia Nigra
Polaris Rising
Goonswarm Federation
#9 - 2011-12-31 02:48:37 UTC
LacLongQuan wrote:
smell like bears

Absolutely, I am about as carebear as they come. I most certainly do mission in empire space ... occasionally.

What an absolutely stupid thing to say! As if w-space **belongs** to one particular little tribal group or another. W-space belongs to no-one ,and those of us who are silly enough get to use, or try to use, her resources from time to time.

Arazel Chainfire
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2011-12-31 03:16:39 UTC
For a C6, I wouldn't recommend it unless you can easily get those 6-8 people online on a regular basis. I was living in one for a while (mostly raiding the C4 static) and the only thing that we could consistantly do was the mining/gas sites because it was that difficult to get everyone on and running (small group, 4 actual players, about 10 characters between us capable of going in the sites). Ended up that we only ran a few during the month of time living in there, and that was with full cap support.

C5's on the other hand can technically be run with just 3 characters on the field (requires good skills, a fleet booster, and rattlesnakes to work). Once you can regularly stick 4-5 people on the field, you can go back to spamming tengu's. When doing full capital escalations you can work them a few ways:

method 1: clear almost all the site first
Here, take your tengu's in, kill everything till there is just 1 non-scramming ship left, then bring in the capitals
Method 2: First wave
Here, take your tengu's in, clear the first wave except for the trigger, then start bringing in the capitals
Method 3: oh screw it all
Toss all the carriers on the field to start, start bringing in dreads once escalation has been worn down some

Method 1 tends to take a while, and a good part of the reason why you want capitals on the field is to clear the site faster. Method 2 allows you to focus your capitals solely on the escalation to start, then worry about the rest of the site once you're done escalating - it tends to make the sites go by faster, and keeps fighters from getting shot at as much. Method 3 works when you have a few capital pilots on but not enough regular pilots to run the site regularly. This is also another way to run sites with only 3 characters on the field - drop 3 carriers, clear escalation/first wave, then have a carrier go back for a dread. Dread doesn't need to be fit really, or have good skills, dread pilot leaves and gets back in carrier as soon as he can warp off the field. Good way to roll if either you have ****** dread skills or you can only use a pheonix.

If you are actually trying to use dreads for combat, you are going to need a webber - either a loki, bhaalghorn, or a rapier/huggin, depending upon how you want to roll. I prefer the loki, and have both shield and armor fits for it with 90%+ resists across the board and a good buffer, while fitting a minimum of 3 webs. Cruisers will need to have cap transfer capable of going to them though if they get neuted (and they will), and need to web out to at least 38km. A single carrier cannot effectively solo a site, but if you can triage one then you can keep just about any subcap setup alive for up to triple escalation (quad is... tough), but you have to watch out for neuting. A dread needs at least triple 60% webs on target at 35+km to hit the sleepers effectively (if you can toss 1-2 90% webs on target though, all dreads will love you forever).

Overall, I recommend using method 2 to start (that or toss 1 triage carrier and then dps subcaps on the field, slowly swapping out for caps), and unless you really know what you are doing don't get a quad escalation.

POS info found in next post

-Arazel
Arazel Chainfire
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2011-12-31 03:26:41 UTC
For POS's for C5's/C6's, you are going to want to have a large POS. Yeah, medium is cheaper, but it is also highly susceptible to drive by's. For a large POS, you have 3 options that work for C5's and C6's. Also note, you can bring the fittings for all 3 types, and due to how easily things online/anchor now, you can fairly easily swap between them as needed.

Option 1, the resist star. Take a POS of your choice (I like amarr for the PG), fit 17 hardeners (or so, you are aiming to get 77% resists across the board). Add internal modules of choice, then stick guns, points, webs, and neuts on the outside. (note, a full resist star has something along the lines of 40mil EHP in shields).

Option 2, the death star. Take a POS of choice (I like amarr, but minny is most common for this type), stick as many guns, with a few webs/points/neuts as well on the outside. Here, if you are ok just living out of orca's/cans, or you offline internal modules to online more guns when you aren't using the internal modules, you can get about 14k or so dps out of a POS. Great setup to have on hand when there may be hostile capitals around.

Option 3, the **** star. Take a POS of choice, stick as many ECM batteries as you can on it, and then fit some guns/internal modules of choice. This works best when you aren't worried about caps (siege and triage are immune to ECM), but it makes it pretty much impossible for a small group to attack your POS. My last dickstar had 80 ECM batteries on it, and still dumped out about 2k dps.

The best option though is to have modules to easily swap out between the three styles - you can anchor enough crap to make your POS look like a borg cube, so you only have to worry about onlining things. None of the setups will stop someone who is trying their damndest to take out your POS, but they will all deter someone who is only kinda sorta interested in it.

-Arazel
Derath Ellecon
ATRAX.
Shadow Cartel
#12 - 2011-12-31 03:28:46 UTC
Substantia Nigra wrote:

I think she was ribbing you a bit on the moving up bit when you don't know the general WH dynamics.

Pretty much C4 and higher never have a static to K-space, only to other W space. So it is very doubtful you will find a C5 or C6 to HS LS or 0.0

Now I could be wrong, but I have read that fact numerous places, and in all the WH's I've seen it seems to be true.
Humera
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#13 - 2011-12-31 10:19:39 UTC
Derath Ellecon wrote:
Substantia Nigra wrote:

I think she was ribbing you a bit on the moving up bit when you don't know the general WH dynamics.

Pretty much C4 and higher never have a static to K-space, only to other W space. So it is very doubtful you will find a C5 or C6 to HS LS or 0.0

Now I could be wrong, but I have read that fact numerous places, and in all the WH's I've seen it seems to be true.

Hmm I thought so. If that's the case though i'm not sure. I'm going on what the various mapping websites are telling me as to what the system holds for statics. Usually I am using a website called eveeye and I have been in a few c5's that these sites claim to have static k-space exits in. Really though I don't think the fact that I screwed up on that really matters as to my ability to be able to handle the sites in the wormhole which is kind of a **** judgement.

Arazel... What can I say but thank you very much for your input. I will definitely be taking all that you have said into consideration in the coming weeks that we look for a new c5 and decide to move. You are awesome to have put the time in to write all that helpful information! Another thing to note for us is that we will be looking mainly for a Pulsar C5 since we are all Caldari spec and that effect seems to work wonders for us! Focusing on just the shield/armor effects it greatly effects our ability to run sites with speed. Plus I would imagine that it would deter possible drive-by's for armor tanking gangs/fleets. Any thoughts on that? Thank you again!
Marcus McTavish
Volcel Police
#14 - 2011-12-31 21:47:19 UTC
C4s, C5s, and C6s only have w-space statics.
A large tower is almost neccesary in C5-6s because other ppl can bring caps into kill you.
6+ rr tengus should be great for a c5 and okay for a c6.
In turn you could use a chimera to escalate while also providing reps.
Jack Miton
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#15 - 2012-01-01 03:04:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Jack Miton
Humera wrote:

Next we are wanting to do max cap escalation which I believe is achieved through 2 carriers and 2 dreads. Is this easily done or is the firepower the sleepers will be dishing out a bit too much for the ships? Any recommendations on cap/subcap fleets? No matter what we want max escalation. We will find a way to make it work.

i highly recommend going on sissy and warping 2 caps into a c5-6 site a seeing what it's like.
you'll get the idea quickly enough ;)
few people will tell you exactly how to do capital escalations propperly.
this is because firstly, few people do them right and secondly, we like to keep the isk to ourselves :)

Humera wrote:

Any other advice for a group who has never gone to a c5 or c6 before? We're probably going to be looking for a LS static.

c4-6 do not have kspace statics.

Quote:
6+ rr tengus should be great for a c5 and okay for a c6.

while this is true, tengus are for girls.
this summs up tengus nicely:
http://i.imgur.com/ymyQ5.jpg (damn it, they took my picture away :( )

There is no Bob.

Stuck In Here With Me:  http://sihwm.blogspot.com.au/

Down the Pipe:  http://feeds.feedburner.com/CloakyScout