These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

I've never played in wormholes before

Author
kitsune Sabre
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2015-07-08 09:50:12 UTC
so if my questions are stupid I'm sorry

1.how do you tell what class a wormhole is
2.how difficult is it to relocate the wormhole you made your home in
3.what level should my skills be for Relic and data sites for wormholes
4.what ships you recommend to use
5,how long do you think it would take for a noob to be able to do wormholes non combat
Azda Ja
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2015-07-08 10:39:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Azda Ja
Non combat? Very quickly. I run relic sites in class 3 and below (no sleepers) from time to time in a heron on an alt. Would be safer and better in a Covops capable ship of course, but it ca be done even in one of those with some caution.

When you show info on a WH, there is a bunch of 'flavor text' that is actually telling you a lot of information about it. What class it might be, how long it will stay open, how much mass has gone through already etc...

http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Wormholes

There is a section called WH text that covers the details involved there.

I believe Asayanmi Dei is in the process of updating the 'Wormhole Fundamentals' series since some of the videos are out of date but search for those on youtube as well for some good general knowledge.

EDIT: Lately I've been running C2 and C1 anomalies in a Confessor. Not the most efficient ship to do them in of course, but it's good fun. Being able to fit an Expanded Probe launcher is great too, I can launch them while running a site, and have them covering the whole system. If I see a ship show up on a periodic probe scan (or a ship that isn't POS trash) I know to either hurry the hell up or get out and safe up. Granted this announces my presence to all, and doesn't help when it comes to cloaky hunters, but it's better than being limited to 14.3 AU, and considering I'm already visible on D-Scan, why not?

Grrr.

Jack Hayson
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2015-07-08 11:23:36 UTC
1. Each class has a different nebula color that can be used to identify them. The wormholes leading to that system will also have that same color. (http://www.tigerears.org/2014/09/30/wormhole-colours-2/)
Alternatively you can use a site like http://wh.pasta.gg/ to check the class (and static) of a system.

2.Do you mean moving your home? It can be a PITA depending on how much sh*t you have in your system, but it's not especially difficult to do - just tedious.
If you only do the hacking sites you won't be setting up a POS anyway.

3.C1-C3 contain nullsec data/relic sites that can be done with very few SP. I have an alt that has the hacking skills to IV and it has no problem opening the cans. (sometimes you will fail a hack, but it's rare once you know how the mini game works)

4.For doing the non-combat relic/data sites (the one with pirate factions in their name) you can use pretty much every exploration frigate.

5.If you can fit a cloak, a probe launcher and a relic analyzer you are good to go. (the data sites mostly contain trash - I'd focus on the relic sites)
Drago Shouna
Doomheim
#4 - 2015-07-08 11:26:05 UTC
This helped me no end.

http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Wormhole_Information

Solecist Project...." They refuse to play by the rules and laws of the game and use it as excuse ..." " They don't care about how you play as long as they get to play how they want."

Welcome to EVE.

Leshlafelle Bisnovat
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#5 - 2015-07-08 11:54:55 UTC
Thanks OP for asking this. I came here with the hope of finding the answers for those very same questions.

Also, thanks to the more experienced pilots for taking the time to answer Smile

Much appreciated all round.

You know what grenadine turns cold cola into? Roy Rogers! You know what grenadine turns warm cola into? You tell ME when I throw it in your face!- Roger

Ramshack Z
Maeda-Koru Group
#6 - 2015-07-08 12:06:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Ramshack Z
1. Covered above.

2. Pretty tough if you mean trying to find it without a probe alt or friend inside.

3. IV is sufficient in most cases

4. Covert ops for probing, lots of ships can do low class sleepers

5. About a week. Scanning skills to 3 or 4, hacking and analyzing to 4, and go.
Syrilian
Doomheim
#7 - 2015-07-08 13:35:51 UTC
kitsune, I hope you dont mind me asking a question in your thread but one thing I have always wondered about wormholes is how people live in them? If most wormholes collapse at 24 hours, how do you live in them?
kitsune Sabre
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2015-07-08 13:49:12 UTC
Syrilian wrote:
kitsune, I hope you dont mind me asking a question in your thread but one thing I have always wondered about wormholes is how people live in them? If most wormholes collapse at 24 hours, how do you live in them?

I'm trying to figure this stuff out myself so I don't know anything and everybody else thinks for the help
Azda Ja
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2015-07-08 13:55:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Azda Ja
Syrilian wrote:

The system is still there, it's the entrances/exits that collapse. New openings will spawn, so you're never stuck permanently. Well, unless you forgot probes, in which case you're boned. So when people say "I live in a WH" or "The WH collapsed", technically only the second statement is true. The first statement is just shorthand for, "I live in a solar system only accessible through a WH".

EDIT: Think of it this way. WH space is a giant jigsaw puzzle. Each piece exists and is permanent. Their connections however change. One system will be a "corner" one day, and the next it will be connected to many different other pieces in the middle of the puzzle. Now it's a bit more complicated than that, since some 'class' of WH systems connect more or less frequently with other classes, or types of K-space (Known Space, anything accessible through the galaxy map). I dunno, that's how I started visualizing it when I understood the basics of what's going on. A cosmic jigsaw puzzle that Tzeentch, changer of ways manipulates for ***** and giggles.

Grrr.

Syrilian
Doomheim
#10 - 2015-07-08 14:04:09 UTC
Azda Ja wrote:
Syrilian wrote:

The system is still there, it's the entrances/exits that collapse. New openings will spawn, so you're never stuck permanently. Well, unless you forgot probes, in which case you're boned. So when people say "I live in a WH" or "The WH collapsed", technically only the second statement is true. The first statement is just shorthand for, "I live in a solar system only accessible through a WH".

Ah that makes sense, thanks! So when an entrance/exit collapses is there a certain amount of time before another one spawns or does another spawn instantaneously?.
kitsune Sabre
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2015-07-08 14:25:34 UTC
I'm kind of interested in a corporation for wormholes problem with that I'm not good at PVP at all it's hard for me to understand what people are saying when they call **** out every time I've tried so far have screwed up majorly in pvp I'm very easily overwhelmed basically I'm an airhead

now for another question where is the best location to find C1 wormholes
Azda Ja
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2015-07-08 15:06:03 UTC
C1s are found more frequently in HS if I remember correctly.

PvP does take some getting used to, especially in a fleet. When it comes to WH pvp specifically, I don't have much experience, two kills and 1 loss so far. What I can tell you though is if you find a good goup, willing to be patient with a newbie, you can be very useful pretty quickly. Forget 'flying tackle' right away, it's usually a suicide mission when you're new because you don't yet know how to maneuver around on the grid and not get blapped. I mean, you can do it, it's fun, but there are better ways to learn. In a fleet, I'd recommend you fly an E-War frigate of some kind, Maulus is ridiculously awesome. One 5-10 million isk Maulus can swing entire fights (depending on scale of course).

I recommend them for the following reason, flying one well teaches you to look at the entire battlefield, how to identify particularly threatening targets, and how to avoid dying by staying very far away (70 - 100km away). If you're in a Maulus, you'll be trying to shut down stuff like the various covert/combat recons (Curses, Rapiers etc...), shutting down/disrupting Logistics pilots by lowering their lock range, or increasing their lock times, you can even save your fellows from getting tackled in a pinch by damping the tackler at the right moment. It's an incredibly satisfying ship to fly (IMO) and even a year on I still love flying one. It's not an easy role, you have a lot to learn, but it does force you to learn and internalize lot of very valuable lessons.

Also it's fun as hell. You can just feel the frustration emanating from the opposing fleet. When they start sending frigates to try and kill you, you know you've pissed them off.

Grrr.

Petre en Thielles
Doomheim
#13 - 2015-07-08 15:07:35 UTC
Syrilian wrote:
Ah that makes sense, thanks! So when an entrance/exit collapses is there a certain amount of time before another one spawns or does another spawn instantaneously?.

I currently live in a WH, so I will chime in. Many WHs have 'static' connections. This means that there is always a connection to a certain class of space. In our case, the wormhole has a low sec static. That means as soon as the wormhole to low sec collapses, another one opens immediately to a random low sec system. The static connection always has the same ID. What does that mean? When you scan a wormhole down, it has an ID in the overview (ie, N110-223). N110 in this case shows that it goes to high sec space, always. So if you are in a wormhole with a high sec static, the hole in your system that has an ID starting with N110 is the one that goes to high sec. (the ID in your overview when you warp to it, not the one on your probe scanner) You can look up all wormholes here

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/List_of_All_W-Space_Systems

or better yet, sign up for https://tripwire.eve-apps.com/

it is a site where you can type in the ID (N110 in this example) and it tells you the class of the wormhole as well as keeps track of when it will collapse.

When you first jump into a hole, go to http://www.staticmapper.com/, type in the system ID (Jxxxxxx) and it will tell you if there is a static connection or not, as well as what class it is

In addition to any statics a wormhole might have (and some of them DON'T have statics), there are wandering wormholes. These show up at random. For example, I have my low sec static in my home system, but yesterday we had connections to two C4 and one C6 holes as well. That's why you need to scan down and keep track of every signature that shows up.

A bit more on how the wormhole signatures themselves. If the ID is K162, that means that is the 'exit' side of the wormhole, in other words, it was opened from the other side. When a wormhole spawns, it only shows up on one side at first. Going back to my system, when a new wormhole to low sec space appears, the wormhole does not show up in the low sec system until someone jumps through. This means if there are no wandering holes and a new low sec static hole just formed, We are reasonably certain we are alone, assuming someone isn't cloaked up being patient. When a WH is within 15 hours of collapsing, there is a random chance the k162 exit spawns in the other system at any time.

To the original questions, my setup is overkill for what you want to do, but I will give you my setup

1. See above
2. if you don't have a pos, it's easy to move. I would say to start bring in a secure container (if you feel your cargo hold isn't big enough), dump your loot there in a safe spot (they can't be scanned down) and when you feel like leaving, sort through, take the most valuable loot you can fit and abandon the container in the hole. Don't try to set up a POS right away.
3. you can get through them with a week or so of scanning training, for the lower level sites
4. cov. ops should be your #1 ship. A buzzard or the like.
5. non combat, get out there right away. practice d-scanning, and just get used to the space. get into a covert ops ship ASAP

and about d-scan - practice finding POS's without dropping probes. Once you can fly a covert ops ship, you should be able to find and bookmark all pos's in the system only using d-scan, so you don't let anyone know you are there by dropping probes.
Lost Greybeard
Drunken Yordles
#14 - 2015-07-08 15:57:48 UTC
kitsune Sabre wrote:
1.how do you tell what class a wormhole is

a. Actually look at the NPCs and monitor how all your ship stats change.
b. Star color is a big hint, as mentioned above
c. Copy/paste uses the OS paste buffer so you can copy and paste the system name in a browser either outside or in-game

Quote:
2.how difficult is it to relocate the wormhole you made your home in

Look for websites where people map the current wormhole layouts, search them for the name of your home wormhole. More realistically, you generally don't, which is why nomads tend to either run in packs or use at least one alt. That way the "home" character can eventually find a k-space path to get everyone back in, sort of the space version of having a neighbor to let you back into your apartment complex.

Quote:
3.what level should my skills be for Relic and data sites for wormholes

Technically, in a scanner-bonused ship they can be whatever. I personally recommend getting them relatively high (T2 codebreakers/analyzers and good probing skills) so that you _don't_ have to be restricted to ships with the exploration bonuses.

Quote:
4.what ships you recommend to use

Once your skills are decent, you can just throw modules on whatever the cheapest thing you can tolerate flying around in for extended periods. I'm a big fan of the Vexor just because I have a good BPO and roll them out in stacks of like ten for extra-cheap, and drones are good when someone comes for you. Plus they can be fit kinda however you want, which in fairness has resulted in me building some dumb things while just ******* around.

The "don't do it, it's a trap" thing is warping cloaked. This is not to say that covops cloaking isn't basically the most fun thing in the game (because it is), it's just really not that useful for exploration beyond getting past the occasional camp. Don't feel like you need to restrict yourself to covops-capable ships for exploration, the time to pick up covops cloaking is when you're hunting other _players_. When you're exploring, most of your 'cloaked' time is sitting still.

Like... even once you CAN fly a Helios, I'd generally say stick with the Imicus. Because cloaking won't help you when someone jumps you in a site, but 4 drones, good align time, and the ability to take a hit or two actually might.

Quote:
5,how long do you think it would take for a noob to be able to do wormholes non combat

Hard to tell. This is one of the reasons for the 'fly cheap ships' rule. In bare minimum SP terms, a week or two is probably the hard minimum for doing it solo, but... y'know, easiest way to find out is to try it and see how long you go before mucking things up, whether you feel like you can get the loot you want, etc.

Random side note: w-space exploration is the second-highest ship-loss activity I've engaged in outside of low-sec intentional gang PvP. People _will_ be after you at some point, because the w-space systems are a much more restricted territory that needs to be more actively defended than usual. So, again, just roll with cheap ships you don't mind losing, and think in terms of "well, this is paying for itself easy" (because it will, very easily) instead of "man, I'm down seven ships in the last three days".