These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP is ruining owning a super we all trained + waited to fly

Author
DaReaper
Net 7
Cannon.Fodder
#21 - 2015-07-06 16:15:25 UTC
Sigh..

Sov is entering phase 2. After phase 2 ccp will be able to look at there roll in warfare and make changes. they announced that supers and titans and caps will be looked at, most likly around sov phase 3, which i suspect will come out around the time citadels do. Phase 3 is most likly the "making it easier to live in space' phase.

In other words, Patience young one. Cause i remember when we had no caps... that was fun times

OMG Comet Mining idea!!! Comet Mining!

Eve For life.

SFM Hobb3s
Perkone
Caldari State
#22 - 2015-07-06 16:40:51 UTC
TBH CCP didn't ruin supers at all. This is a sandbox game, and they did their best to provide the freedom to build and use them.
It was the supercap blob that ruined it. Put that blame where it belongs. Also grrr.
davet517
Raata Invicti
#23 - 2015-07-06 16:49:04 UTC  |  Edited by: davet517
Lloyd Roses wrote:
davet517 wrote:
There isn't a "balance pass" that's going to fix this. In the post fozzie-sov game, they're going to be largely irrelevant, just as "mother ships" were before Dominion.

I want to see that statement again when your group is about to entosis that station (cause sunday evening CTA or whatever) and then suddenly there's twenty aeons looking at you in a very displeased manner. They're a quite big "GTFO"-sign the other group can wave.

Really? What are your 20 aeons going to go against my Ishtar / T3 fleet? The 20 Aeons were only a deterrent when I needed caps to grind structure HP. Unless I decide to use triage logistics, there's nothing for your Aeons to kill.
davet517
Raata Invicti
#24 - 2015-07-06 16:52:21 UTC
SFM Hobb3s wrote:
TBH CCP didn't ruin supers at all. This is a sandbox game, and they did their best to provide the freedom to build and use them.
It was the supercap blob that ruined it. Put that blame where it belongs. Also grrr.

The super-blob was a fairly predictable outcome of Dominion sov, with its SC buff and simultaneous buff to null-sec income, and many of us did predict it. You can't blame players for reacting to changes in game mechanics that suddenly make supers the apex force in the game, and simultaneously buff the income needed to obtain them.
davet517
Raata Invicti
#25 - 2015-07-06 17:05:03 UTC  |  Edited by: davet517
Aralyn CormallenBy removing structure grinding completely, CCP could (if they were brave) de-escalate Capital damage and hp completely. Slash Super and Dread damage, but make it easier to apply against the larger subcaps (I would like to see T3's not be able to laugh off my Fighters), and likewise hack Capital hp away across the board, and maybe remove Capital Reps completely (since lower hp and lower damage means subcapital remote reps could pick up the void). Once structure-grinding is gone, its no longer holding the leash on Capital gameplay, bring the Capital and Subcapital games closer together, rather than putting a massive cliff between them. But maybe I'm just a hopeless optimist [:=d wrote:

Again, you have an issue of cost. Nobody is going to field a 100 billion isk blap-titan that has had its HP and damage slashed, just because. It's just not worth the risk. If we were talking about a 10 billion isk Titan that was 5 times more effective against sub-caps than a dread, and 5 times as survivable, for 5 times the cost, maybe. Not for 50 times the cost.

You can theory craft all kinds of ways to make them "force multipliers", but there are far too many of them now for that to be a reasonable role to play for all of us who trained for them and ground out the isk to buy them.

CCP is promising a "re-balance", but, don't hold your breath. "Motherships" languished for years before Dominion. It's not at all unlikely that supers and titans will do the same now, while CCP pursues it's grand plan for a new sov game.
davet517
Raata Invicti
#26 - 2015-07-06 17:07:40 UTC  |  Edited by: davet517
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#27 - 2015-07-06 17:25:05 UTC
davet517 wrote:
...... Post fozzie-sov, the only natural escalation to supers will be to kill off triage carriers, and, why risk supers to do that when you can do it with dreads at a fraction of the cost?

To kill off the other side's dreads. Duh.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#28 - 2015-07-06 17:32:34 UTC
davet517 wrote:

Again, you have an issue of cost. Nobody is going to field a 100 billion isk blap-titan that has had its HP and damage slashed, just because. It's just not worth the risk. If we were talking about a 10 billion isk Titan that was 5 times more effective against sub-caps than a dread, and 5 times as survivable, for 5 times the cost, maybe. Not for 50 times the cost.

5 time as effective vs subcap AND 5 time the survivability for 5 time the cost? Are you insane?

If anything, for 5 time the efficiency vs subcap it should cost at elast around 30 time as much.

Price progression is not linear with power.
Baaldor
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#29 - 2015-07-06 17:52:45 UTC
Quote:

Free from the shackles............?
davet517
Raata Invicti
#30 - 2015-07-06 17:57:15 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:

5 time as effective vs subcap AND 5 time the survivability for 5 time the cost? Are you insane?

If anything, for 5 time the efficiency vs subcap it should cost at elast around 30 time as much.

Because...? The price disparity between a Titan and a Dread hasn't changed that much since their introduction, and if you remember right, a Titan or two could blap an entire sub-cap fleet at the press of a button back then. Then, properly fit, and again, for the same price, they could decimate BS fleets. That went away too. Price didn't come down though.

It's yet to be seen what fozzie-sov doctrines will look like. if effective doctrines can be devised that don't require triage carriers, there's no reason for dreads to take the field, and no role for supers to come and kill them.

I think that the fatal flaw in Fozziesov is that CCP has vastly under-estimated the extent to which mudflation has taken hold. The established sov holders can easily afford to throw thousands of entosis linked ships at any timer they really want to win, and, with TIDI, at least achieve a stalemate until the attacker quits in frustration. They probably should have made them a limited resource (e.g. limited run T1 BPCs, instead of BPOs) to force strategies other than spamming them.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#31 - 2015-07-06 18:02:14 UTC
ItburnsWhenIRightClick wrote:

Good.

Death2all Supers.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#32 - 2015-07-06 18:09:57 UTC
CCP please tell me that As my main spent nearly a year subbing my account to train up to fly a super and you keep chipping away at killing them off in the game.. Now you nerf the DDA's and we all know supers use at least one or more for general use.

Is there any way for a refund on skillpoints so I can fly a subcap and enjoy the game as im thinking Elite Dangerous might be better now.

Much love and happiness to all you all out there.

Big smileBig smileBig smile

I dont get it were super crap before DDA were added to the game?

what is the actual dps loss for the ship? is it that you are upset you cant kill dreads and pos guns as fast or is it that you solo in your super and cant do annoms as fast anymore?

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#33 - 2015-07-06 18:12:37 UTC
Angelica Dreamstar wrote:
It's pretty dumb to think they'll just abandon you folks. People who are stupid enough to believe that are no loss when they leave. It's just as stupid as highseccers of all kinds not getting how obviously there will come a balance pass smashing through their gameplay as well.

You're all like children, but worse. Lol

this.

supers titans and to an extent dreads and carriers were designed for a sov system that is no longer going to be in assistance... (might take a bit longer to get rid of pos code)

so its reasonable to expect CCP do a proper balance pass on these ships... i would expect supers and titans to get some sort of role bonus changed... but who knows what that will be.

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#34 - 2015-07-06 18:20:54 UTC
I love the mentality behind the assumption that what the OP chose to train a while ago should have any bearing on game balance.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#35 - 2015-07-06 18:42:59 UTC
davet517 wrote:
Aralyn CormallenBy removing structure grinding completely, CCP could (if they were brave) de-escalate Capital damage and hp completely. Slash Super and Dread damage, but make it easier to apply against the larger subcaps (I would like to see T3's not be able to laugh off my Fighters), and likewise hack Capital hp away across the board, and maybe remove Capital Reps completely (since lower hp and lower damage means subcapital remote reps could pick up the void). Once structure-grinding is gone, its no longer holding the leash on Capital gameplay, bring the Capital and Subcapital games closer together, rather than putting a massive cliff between them. But maybe I'm just a hopeless optimist [:=d wrote:

You can theory craft all kinds of ways to make them "force multipliers", but there are far too many of them now for that to be a reasonable role to play for all of us who trained for them and ground out the isk to buy them.

CCP is promising a "re-balance", but, don't hold your breath. "Motherships" languished for years before Dominion. It's not at all unlikely that supers and titans will do the same now, while CCP pursues it's grand plan for a new sov game.

We toss full fleets of suicide dreads around, isk is not an issue.
Eli Stan
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#36 - 2015-07-06 19:06:51 UTC
davet517 wrote:

I think that the fatal flaw in Fozziesov is that CCP has vastly under-estimated the extent to which mudflation has taken hold. The established sov holders can easily afford to throw thousands of entosis linked ships at any timer they really want to win, and, with TIDI, at least achieve a stalemate until the attacker quits in frustration. They probably should have made them a limited resource (e.g. limited run T1 BPCs, instead of BPOs) to force strategies other than spamming them.

Why do you consider that a fatal flaw? I think of it as Fozziesov working as intended and doing good. A defender who has a thousand pilots active in a system should be able to use them all to defend their SOV. (Although for the daily vulnerability window it'll probably be a dozen ships with Entosis links and 988 PvP ships. Just one defending Entosis is all that's needed to pause the attacker's progress. For a constellation-wide capture race, I could see it being as many as 40 Entosis ships supported by 960 PvP ships.)

The brilliance of Fozziesov is when an established SOV holder doesn't have a thousand pilots in a system - in which case an attacker can come in with a small sub-cap force (or even a single T1 ship, if the system is truly empty) and trigger the capture race in less than an hour. And an empty constellation means the same small sub-cap force can capture the objective in, again, less than an hour.

Fozziesov also means that if an established SOV holder is facing multiple attacks at once - even if each attack is a single T1 ship - those attacks have to be actively responded to. In Dominion SOV, the sheer HP grind was enough to defend SOV in absentia unless the attacker wanted to risk several billion worth of dreads and supers. Now, actively flying pilots will be required. Eight simultaneous attacks would mean that the 1000-pilot force has to be divided up into 125 pilot fleets that each go to different systems. And a clever attacker can use feints and gatecamps wormhole mobility (well, maybe not that last one after tomorrow's patch) to outmaneuver a defender.

Spamming ships will always be a viable tactic. And a much better one than Dominion SOV, IMO, which can be considered to have been a system of spamming AFK HP.
Deck Cadelanne
CAStabouts
#37 - 2015-07-06 19:34:33 UTC

Is there any way for a refund on skillpoints so I can fly a subcap and enjoy the game as im thinking Elite Dangerous might be better now.

Why? Instead of whining about changes, how about trying to adapt? Or you could just fulfil your threat to quit. There were some takers for your stuff already, so I won't ask.

Eli Stan wrote:

The brilliance of Fozziesov is when an established SOV holder doesn't have a thousand pilots in a system - in which case an attacker can come in with a small sub-cap force (or even a single T1 ship, if the system is truly empty) and trigger the capture race in less than an hour. And an empty constellation means the same small sub-cap force can capture the objective in, again, less than an hour.

Indeed. Deterring or defeating the "drive by" sov attack will be no big deal - for groups that are active and committed. Sov holders who are lazy or inactive are going to lose your sov space to groups that are more active and committed. Simples.

Nothing wrong with a mechanic that favour folks who are actually playing and trying to do stuff, eh?

davet517 wrote:

The established sov holders can easily afford to throw thousands of entosis linked ships at any timer they really want to win, and, with TIDI, at least achieve a stalemate until the attacker quits in frustration.

They might. And if it's important, maybe they will. So there will still be a place for big, epic battles over sov in the game as big fleets fight to win the grid for their Entosis pilots. Awesome.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn professional."

- Hunter S. Thompson

Syrilian
Doomheim
#38 - 2015-07-06 19:43:54 UTC
Deck Cadelanne wrote:

Why? Instead of whining about changes, how about trying to adapt? Or you could just fulfil your threat to quit. There were some takers for your stuff already, so I won't ask.

Eli Stan wrote:

Indeed. Deterring or defeating the "drive by" sov attack will be no big deal - for groups that are active and committed. Sov holders who are lazy or inactive are going to lose your sov space to groups that are more active and committed. Simples.

Nothing wrong with a mechanic that favour folks who are actually playing and trying to do stuff, eh?

This. The vast majority of people I have seen pissing and moaning about the new mechanic are all basically whining "you mean we actually have to play the game?" Yes, yes you do.
Deck Cadelanne
CAStabouts
#39 - 2015-07-06 19:57:46 UTC
Syrilian wrote:

This. The vast majority of people I have seen pissing and moaning about the new mechanic are all basically whining "you mean we actually have to play the game?" Yes, yes you do.

That has been the single weirdest thing I've struggled to get my head around with this bunch of people. "Now I have to log in and actually fly my internet spaceship? WAAA!"

It's not like Fozziesov is going to mean you log on at your normal playing time and find all your sov has flipped. The system is still weighted in favour of the defender: The defender gets a heads-up message as soon as the attacker's link starts it's first "real" cycle, a single defender Entosis all that is required to pause an attack and the "prime time" reinforcement mechanic means the attacker has to finish the job at a time of the defender's choosing. Any defender willing and able to fight and win grid can stop an attack.

It just makes the level of commitment required of an attacker to win sov a function of how much force the defender commits rather than a pile of structure HP.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn professional."

- Hunter S. Thompson

Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#40 - 2015-07-06 21:19:38 UTC
davet517 wrote:
Frostys Virpio wrote:

Because...? The price disparity between a Titan and a Dread hasn't changed that much since their introduction, and if you remember right, a Titan or two could blap an entire sub-cap fleet at the press of a button back then. Then, properly fit, and again, for the same price, they could decimate BS fleets. That went away too. Price didn't come down though.

If you nerf/remove something because it was broken, you don't compensate with price reduction. That's always the cost of going for FOTM or WTFPWNMOBILE type of trait in any supported MMO.