These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Easy Copy and Paste of API Keys

Author
Serious Citizen
Perkone
Caldari State
#1 - 2015-07-01 18:50:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Serious Citizen
How many times do we have to go to the API page and copy all the API keys from each account? Really often for me. Seems anytime I have to get APIS for my characters I just dread it.

For some reason when I try to copy the KEY ID I always end up highlighting what I don't want, and it makes it more difficult. So my suggestion is simple.

Why is there not a box for all of our API keys to be easily copied?

1. Click Box
  2. Auto Copies content

Just seems something really simple that would make the process a little less annoying when you have to give API keys.
Iain Cariaba
#2 - 2015-07-01 18:59:28 UTC
In every browser I've ever used, if you double click on the ID or vCode, it will select the entire ID or vCode, which you can then ctrl-c.
Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#3 - 2015-07-01 19:05:23 UTC
Iain Cariaba wrote:
In every browser I've ever used, if you double click on the ID or vCode, it will select the entire ID or vCode, which you can then ctrl-c.

Some browsers apparently have a very peculiar behavior in that regard. I remember many months ago when Firefox would copy a space in front of the key and cut the last letter. But that's basically crappy programming's fault and the mentioned double click for highlighting stuff works in all good browsers.

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Iain Cariaba
#4 - 2015-07-01 20:29:34 UTC
Rivr Luzade wrote:
Iain Cariaba wrote:

Some browsers apparently have a very peculiar behavior in that regard. I remember many months ago when Firefox would copy a space in front of the key and cut the last letter. But that's basically crappy programming's fault and the mentioned double click for highlighting stuff works in all good browsers.

I remember that too, and simply copy/pasting to a notepad document worked wonderfully, exceptionally so when having to use them a lot.
Serious Citizen
Perkone
Caldari State
#5 - 2015-07-02 17:29:12 UTC
This would still make it faster then double clicking and copying. This is how it should be since the data is being constantly copied and pasted. Why not have a system that recognizes that and improves it?
Iain Cariaba
#6 - 2015-07-02 17:44:10 UTC
Serious Citizen wrote:
This would still make it faster then double clicking and copying. This is how it should be since the data is being constantly copied and pasted. Why not have a system that recognizes that and improves it?

Your idea removes one cllck. One, that's all. That one click is the second click, which comes hundredths of a second after the first. This is how much faster than double-clicking single clicking is.
Serious Citizen
Perkone
Caldari State
#7 - 2015-07-02 17:58:04 UTC
Iain Cariaba wrote:
Serious Citizen wrote:

Your idea removes one cllck. One, that's all. That one click is the second click, which comes hundredths of a second after the first. This is how much faster than double-clicking single clicking is.
That still doesn't answer why it shouldn't be this way, pretty much you're saying it's useless. The API keys are made for other applications, therefore they are constantly being copied and pasted. Currently they're just a wall of text and that means that they're not really recognized as such. Yes everyone knows how to copy and paste, but I still feel this would be useful. It's a very easy improvement, and it makes things easier and more recognizable. Doesn't matter how much faster it makes, not everyone knows double clicking the Key ID makes you select it. This would make it so you don't have to know that as well.

elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#8 - 2015-07-02 18:36:45 UTC
Serious Citizen wrote:
How many times do we have to go to the API page and copy all the API keys from each account? Really often for me. Seems anytime I have to get APIS for my characters I just dread it.

For some reason when I try to copy the KEY ID I always end up highlighting what I don't want, and it makes it more difficult. So my suggestion is simple.

Why is there not a box for all of our API keys to be easily copied?

1. Click Box
  2. Auto Copies content

Just seems something really simple that would make the process a little less annoying when you have to give API keys.

...while two virgin princesses are doing something rated PEG18 to you...

Ever tried Linux? It's free and marking text on any window also copies it into the clipboard and pastes with the middle mouse button.

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

Xe'Cara'eos
A Big Enough Lever
#9 - 2015-07-02 18:42:35 UTC
this is a browser issue, not a CCP issue...... or is it?
it would be handy though

For posting an idea into F&I: come up with idea, try and think how people could abuse this, try to fix your idea - loop the process until you can't see how it could be abused, then post to the forums to let us figure out how to abuse it..... If your idea can be abused, it [u]WILL[/u] be.