These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Bored post: What would it take to make you quit?

Author
Alpheias
The Khaleph
#21 - 2015-06-15 23:22:43 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
Quote:
What would it take to make you quit?

Well, not exactly quit, but I'll be certainly ignoring EVE for a good six months. See this thread for the reason. I pretty much quit EVE for a year when the first one was released. It was strictly Skill Queue online. Now with the new queue system, I doubt I'll be logging in at all for the duration.

Mr Epeen Cool

The first one was released 1997, six years before EVE Online was launched so I am not sure how you "quit" EVE.

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#22 - 2015-06-15 23:33:58 UTC
Alpheias wrote:
Mr Epeen wrote:
Quote:

Well, not exactly quit, but I'll be certainly ignoring EVE for a good six months. See this thread for the reason. I pretty much quit EVE for a year when the first one was released. It was strictly Skill Queue online. Now with the new queue system, I doubt I'll be logging in at all for the duration.

Mr Epeen Cool

The first one was released 1997, six years before EVE Online was launched so I am not sure how you "quit" EVE.
HA HA HA!

I was referring, of course, to the first Bethesda FO game. Which, if I recall correctly, was released on October 28, 2008. Though I did play Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics back in my wayward youth.

Mr Epeen Cool
Alpheias
The Khaleph
#23 - 2015-06-15 23:52:10 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
Alpheias wrote:
Mr Epeen wrote:
Quote:

Mr Epeen Cool

HA HA HA!

I was referring, of course, to the first Bethesda FO game. Which, if I recall correctly, was released on October 28, 2008. Though I did play Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics back in my wayward youth.

Mr Epeen Cool

You could just have said Oblivion with guns.

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#24 - 2015-06-16 15:32:34 UTC
Aside from just not digging eve in general of late, it's a fair point about other games being more attractive as well. Currently, when I have time to play, it's been Witcher 3 and pretty much only that I've been playing. It's an example of everything eve has not been for me lately. Engaging, immersive...oh, and fun.
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#25 - 2015-06-16 19:37:21 UTC
Eurydia Vespasian wrote:
Aside from just not digging eve in general of late, it's a fair point about other games being more attractive as well. Currently, when I have time to play, it's been Witcher 3 and pretty much only that I've been playing. It's an example of everything eve has not been for me lately. Engaging, immersive...oh, and fun.

Fun? FUN!? HOW YOU DARE TO PLAY GAMES FOR FUN!?!?

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#26 - 2015-06-16 21:14:38 UTC
Eurydia Vespasian wrote:

Yeah, my wife disappeared into that game. It looks like Fallout 4 will be coming out just in time for her to disappear again. She disappeared into Skyrim long enough for me to take up EVE in the first place. Lol

What's interesting is that what single-player games like The Witcher can do is provide a much denser story and a much richer environment, because the entire machine and the entire game is built around one person: you. MMOs simply can't compete with that. They're technically social, but how much complex interaction is there? Even its advocates refer to "content," which is intentionally vague corporate-speak that covers everything from a marginally literate Twitter feed to Moby-****. Yes, blowing someone's unfitted Nereus out of the sky in your arty Thrasher is interaction, but what is the quality or the depth of the interaction? What's the narrative? Without motive or dialog or context it's just as arbitrary and meaningless as a lightning strike. It can be part of something more engaging and meaningful, but no MMO to date has really figured out how to use all the potential it has in terms of its players' capabilities. EVE may have come closer than most, but that's still not very close. It's a hard problem.

A few months ago I was literally hours away from having this sub lapse. I had canceled autorenewal, and I'd even written an explanatory note that I was leaving because none of my friends were subbed anymore. That was true. But I'm a stubborn git, and so I changed my mind and decided to wait, and now they're trickling back in. Had they not, my patience would eventually have run out.

Other things that would make me leave:

CCP officially giving up the big plans and the crazy dreams. I was happy to see CCP Seagull saying that CCP was feeling bold again. It's one of my favorite things about the company, even if it's occasionally maddening. I want to see just how far they can take their sci-fi universe while chasing the dream instead of only chasing the bottom line. [Hint to CCP if you're reading this: new players love visiting planets!]

Population collapse. Pretty self-evident there.

... there's not much else that I can think of.

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

Erika Mizune
Lucifer's Hammer
A Band Apart.
#27 - 2015-06-22 11:23:27 UTC
Personally I don't see me quitting eve, I have too many friends that I have made with this game, so perhaps if everyone I knew quit then maybe? But still never know since its a vast world out there :p

There were a couple times I stopped playing a few, but that was mainly funds and me not making the isk to get the Plex (this was in my "newish" days).

Former DJ & Manager of Eve Radio | Blog | Sounds of New Eden | Twitch | Twitter

Hengle Teron
Rorquals Anonymous
#28 - 2015-06-23 15:12:37 UTC
Eurydia Vespasian wrote:
I've already quit eve. Basically, anyway. I skill que. I put fuel in a tower now and again. For me to quit playing totally eve just has to keep being eve. And my sense of responsibility towards maintaining what I accomplished before I saw how boring it truly was has to fade the rest of the way.

Well, I offered you to relieve you of that duty, by giving me your stuff, but you refused.
Random Bacon
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#29 - 2015-06-28 09:31:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Random Bacon
I'd probably biomass on my accounts if EVE turned into a sandbox PvP game - Where you pick your ship and fittings when you log in, receive the ship and fittings for free, and get to repeat the process when you log in the next day (whether the tiers be based on time served - duration of subscription / time served - total active hours).

There is something of a buzz knowing that, if you want to, you can log in spend some time dipping into manufacture, dipping into resource provision, touring, exploring, running a corp... so many things that you can pick for your single log in, and the subsequent log in to adapt to the things you have chosen to counter balance irl.

Sometimes, the scheduled loss interval approach can drain down the stress of hoarding money irl, the beaver approach ingame can help prior to 'that contract' all the things you can do to manage your own stresses (or lack of) to change your life up without damaging relationships.
Black Panpher
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#30 - 2015-06-28 12:02:37 UTC
I would quit EvE if they gave free SP to people who didn't thoroughly train skills and penalize those who had invested time and money in polishing skills to V.

Oh wait..... FU I'M STILL MAD!
Brujo Loco
Brujeria Teologica
#31 - 2015-06-29 00:04:34 UTC
In this current state of mind/life/time only reasons I could "quit" eve would be either Extreme Poverty in RL , cessation of life or cessation of Eve via Servers being brought down for X reason indefinitely of which I hope none happens in the foreseeable future and even a bit more after that Big smile

The Sunk Cost fallacy is so strong in me after nearly 200 Million SP´s I honestly can even enjoy SP Offline for years and paying for it in one way or another plus random forum posting every once in a while. Big smile

Unlike others here, I know a METRIC CRAP TON of the things I WANT CHANGED in eve will NEVER EVER happen as we have a certain "Vision" of how the game should be played, so I am patiently waiting for some of those "visioneers" to retire for good/be replaced/move to other pastures which happens usually every 5 to 8 years.

So yeah, waiting.

In the meantime enjoy this, what I watch as I play EVE in the background.

very educational.

Cheers!

o/

Inner Sayings of BrujoLoco: http://eve-files.com/sig/brujoloco

Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#32 - 2015-07-06 23:45:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Khergit Deserters
Brujo's linked Motor Booty video somehow restored my belief in EVE, humanity, Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny once again. Smile
Previous page12