These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP RISE Tweet on new missile icons. Seriously? Guys check this out!

Author
flakeys
Doomheim
#41 - 2015-06-24 17:24:28 UTC  |  Edited by: flakeys
Jenn aSide wrote:
Now, the "any change is a good change" types are probably going to float all up in here and proclaim that if you don't like them, you are just against change. Now that everyone is warned:

Those things look stupid as hell, the current icons work fine and look like missile launchers, those things look like "sails". WTF is wrong at CCP these days?

To be honest i'm kinda ''sick and tired'' of all those new changes over the last year .And then i am talking about changes that don't actually change anything but just give it a ''different feel or look'' so not the balancing of ships and such things because that is actually improving the game.

Stop ''changing stuff'' for the sake of change and focus more on ''improving stuff'' , there's so many actuall gameplay that need some love instead.

Just for once CCP , don't fix what ain't broken and fix that wich is horribly broken.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

George Gouillot
MASS
Pandemic Horde
#42 - 2015-06-24 17:27:11 UTC
I am pretty sure Rise is just trolling us - he is not one of those UX/Art apprentices

10/10
Mag's
Azn Empire
#43 - 2015-06-24 18:35:20 UTC
Rowells wrote:
oh, I see.
I doubt it, you've not stopped digging that hole you found yourself in. Lol

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#44 - 2015-06-24 18:48:08 UTC
stoicfaux wrote:
Bigger view of some of the icons. The squares actually look like radar dishes, but you lose the details with the smaller icons (and because of the mini-circle overlays.)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_CLlTV8bSxNSjJJaUxuSkJDMlE/view

I get it a bit better with those images, and don't think it looks bad in itself, but it very clearly isn't as visually straightforward about what it does or effects as the current BCS icon IMHO.

Still, don't really have an issue with it. Will still gladly fit the new mods and BCSs where appropriate .
Azda Ja
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#45 - 2015-06-24 18:54:16 UTC
Mag's wrote:
Rowells wrote:
oh, I see.

It really is perplexing, and yet, fascinating, to watch.

Grrr.

Lisa Gentilette
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#46 - 2015-06-24 19:12:42 UTC
flakeys wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Now, the "any change is a good change" types are probably going to float all up in here and proclaim that if you don't like them, you are just against change. Now that everyone is warned:

Those things look stupid as hell, the current icons work fine and look like missile launchers, those things look like "sails". WTF is wrong at CCP these days?

To be honest i'm kinda ''sick and tired'' of all those new changes over the last year .And then i am talking about changes that don't actually change anything but just give it a ''different feel or look'' so not the balancing of ships and such things because that is actually improving the game.

Stop ''changing stuff'' for the sake of change and focus more on ''improving stuff'' , there's so many actuall gameplay that need some love instead.

Just for once CCP , don't fix what ain't broken and fix that wich is horribly broken.

It's the "all new EA infiltrated CCP", change for the sake of change, annoy, p-off long and get rid of the old (crybaby) customers and hopefully new ones will stream in like an avalanche.

So far I'd say they are doing a damn fine and good job on getting rid of customers and if that's the plan who are we to complain?

About the icons, we where warned they would do this.

CCP Darwin wrote:
No, this is not a joke.

Icon art, like all other elements of EVE's graphics and UI, is always on the table for review. As it happens, replacing the "suitcase" with something that better fits the theme of EVE has been on various to-do lists, as I understand it, for several years.

I admit that the first time I ever fit a damage control I spent a few seconds scratching my head trying to figure out "Why a suitcase?" before shrugging and fitting the module.

No, don't take this change to mean that all your module icons will be changing in the immediate future. This one's a one-off. That's not to say that module icon art may not change in the future, but this one change isn't part of a bigger overhaul.
Link

Stitch Kaneland
The Tuskers
The Tuskers Co.
#47 - 2015-06-24 19:26:53 UTC
Lisa Gentilette wrote:
flakeys wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

It's the "all new EA infiltrated CCP", change for the sake of change, annoy, p-off long and get rid of the old (crybaby) customers and hopefully new ones will stream in like an avalanche.

So far I'd say they are doing a damn fine and good job on getting rid of customers and if that's the plan who are we to complain?

About the icons, we where warned they would do this.

CCP Darwin wrote:
No, this is not a joke.

Icon art, like all other elements of EVE's graphics and UI, is always on the table for review. As it happens, replacing the "suitcase" with something that better fits the theme of EVE has been on various to-do lists, as I understand it, for several years.

I admit that the first time I ever fit a damage control I spent a few seconds scratching my head trying to figure out "Why a suitcase?" before shrugging and fitting the module.

No, don't take this change to mean that all your module icons will be changing in the immediate future. This one's a one-off. That's not to say that module icon art may not change in the future, but this one change isn't part of a bigger overhaul.
Link

Do you, and the other people like you, who ***** about things like this even play the game for the strategy involved. Or just sit in front of your monitor staring at icons and then moan on the forums because the DCU changed from a suitcase to something else that is slightly more futuristic looking?

Is this the new meta? Icon liason? If you quit or leave because CCP changed an icon then good. You were probably worthless anyway. Last i checked CCP is introducing new missile mods and tweaking missiles which has been asked for since i came back playing EVE. After CCP royally screwed missiles they finally are addressing a previous mistake. Then theres SOV, module tiericide, all of which take time to get right.

Do you even venture into F&I or just jump on every CAM bitchfest?
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#48 - 2015-06-24 19:44:09 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Right now NATO is antagonizing Russia, a nuclear super power.

But these icons... everybody freak out!

And over on a world news related forum I have my pants on my head (on fire) with worry because Russia is terrifying (and not for the reasons the US would tell you ) and im engaging in conversation on the topic whilst keeping an eye out for more information but I come here to have heated discussion about minor changes to a video game I play ,occasionally be accused of being a sociopath, brag about recent in-game actions and quite frankly I would rather not have my blissful little distraction here ruined thanks.

Damjan Fox
Fox Industries and Exploration
#49 - 2015-06-24 19:51:25 UTC
I don't really care how the new icons will look like, but these are just... meh... Ugh

flakeys wrote:

^ What he said.
Jeremiah Saken
The Fall of Leviathan
#50 - 2015-06-24 19:54:18 UTC
Yep, but seriously wtf is this? Looks like some sort of radar to me. Whoever design it need a good spanking.

"I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas..." - Herman Melville

Nevil Oscillator
#51 - 2015-06-24 20:15:40 UTC
The blueprint for damage control is still using the old icon
Rowells
Blackwater USA Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#52 - 2015-06-24 21:44:16 UTC
Mag's wrote:
Rowells wrote:
oh, I see.

Haven't hit the bedrock yet. Need more shovels.
Daerrol
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#53 - 2015-06-24 21:49:58 UTC
Why does anyone care? Can anyone here honestly tell me they play EVE seriously enough to care about icon graphics and don't have "Hide Passive Modules" checked?
Nevil Oscillator
#54 - 2015-06-24 21:58:08 UTC
Daerrol wrote:
Why does anyone care? Can anyone here honestly tell me they play EVE seriously enough to care about icon graphics and don't have "Hide Passive Modules" checked?

I don't have hide passive modules checked.
Joia Crenca
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#55 - 2015-06-24 22:03:27 UTC
Damjan Fox wrote:
I don't really care how the new icons will look like, but these are just... meh... Ugh

flakeys wrote:

^ What he said.

Sov was considered in that way, so I guess that counts, Fleet warping as well. But yes, for the most part, this ^^^ A lot of the art was fine. There are parts that have been complained about, such as the space background for the Forge and Lonetrek being really bright and a bit of a hindrance to visual gameplay, but mostly, the things that keep a player onboard will be real gameplay, depth, and such. The visual 'wow' wears off quickly if not accompanied by good gameplay and mechanics.
Carrie-Anne Moss
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#56 - 2015-06-24 22:04:46 UTC
Daerrol wrote:

If you weren't a catebear and mindless F1 drone monkey, you would understand you need to see passive modules cuz they take heat damage from thermodynamics. But you are so you didnt. Know you know, step you elite pvp up drone carebear F1 money
Nevil Oscillator
#57 - 2015-06-24 22:28:22 UTC
Joia Crenca wrote:
. But yes, for the most part, this ^^^ A lot of the art was fine. There are parts that have been complained about, such as the space background for the Forge and Lonetrek being really bright and a bit of a hindrance to visual gameplay, but mostly, the things that keep a player onboard will be real gameplay, depth, and such. The visual 'wow' wears off quickly if not accompanied by good gameplay and mechanics.

I like what they did with the Blackbird, just a shame it performs more like how it used to look. Some designs for the probe look encouraging too.
Sobaan Tali
Caldari Quick Reaction Force
#58 - 2015-06-24 22:35:35 UTC
Carrie-Anne Moss wrote:
Daerrol wrote:

If you weren't a catebear and mindless F1 drone monkey, you would understand you need to see passive modules cuz they take heat damage from thermodynamics. But you are so you didnt. Know you know, step you elite pvp up drone carebear F1 money

Well, I'm about as carebear as they come, but I agree with you on that sentiment. OH'ing has saved my ass more times than I care to remember.

I too am a little confuzzled by the icons. On the one hand, I appreciate CCP's efforts, but to put it bluntly these icons don't really look like they have anything to do with missiles or guidance. To be honest, I'm not even really sure what they look like. How much more of this game are we gonna have to unlearn and relearn by the end of this year?

"Tomahawks?"

"----in' A, right?"

"Trouble is, those things cost like a million and a half each."

"----, you pay me half that and I'll hump in some c4 and blow the ---- out of it my own damn self."

Sobaan Tali
Caldari Quick Reaction Force
#59 - 2015-06-24 22:37:21 UTC
Rowells wrote:
Mag's wrote:
Rowells wrote:
oh, I see.

Haven't hit the bedrock yet. Need more shovels.

Needs moar diamond shovels...

"Tomahawks?"

"----in' A, right?"

"Trouble is, those things cost like a million and a half each."

"----, you pay me half that and I'll hump in some c4 and blow the ---- out of it my own damn self."

Daemun Khanid
Corbeau de sang
#60 - 2015-06-24 22:49:23 UTC
Holy wtf bad, wth are those things? DC icon was fine and dandy but those are atrocious. Are the art ppl just trying to find things to do to justify their jobs? If so fire them. Combine things like that, the $20 each skin system and the disaster that is the new overview and its starting to look like ccp has a random blob of interns making their design decisions. Sry ccp, I'm ussually a fanboy but I does not like.

Daemun of Khanid