These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Ok, I'm broke now.

Author
Gekka Blue
Circumlunar Zaibatsu
#1 - 2015-06-24 07:03:46 UTC
I'm a new player but I happened onto a really good deal on the market. Unfortunately I didn't have enough money to buy the whole order so I was buying small bits with all my money and shuttling back and forth to deliver. Now at some point when I was selling I accidentally typed 7000 instead of 70000 for the sale price. From what I've read, it should've still sold to the highest bid in this case but, well it didn't so now I have 3 million in my wallet instead of 30 million. I'm so mad I have a mild case of Tourette's.

Can someone explain exactly what happened and how I can guard against this in the future? Shouldn't it always sell to the highest bidder? Also if you could point me to somewhere in the wiki where this mechanic is explained that would be awesome.

Thanks

As soon as I get a big ass ship I'ma blow up whoever I undersold to out of spite.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#2 - 2015-06-24 07:11:53 UTC
Alwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwalwaysaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalwaysalways
always double check how many zeros you type

always.
Gekka Blue
Circumlunar Zaibatsu
#3 - 2015-06-24 07:19:36 UTC
Sigh, yes...

The 6 point font they use for everything doesn't help matters.... is that a comma or a period?
Elena Thiesant
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2015-06-24 07:33:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Elena Thiesant
You did sell to the highest bid, and you sold for way less than they were asking.

In short:
You always buy from the lowest available sell order and you always sell to the highest available buy order (assuming immediate buy/sell)

If you sell something and you type in a lower number than the buy order is asking, you sell to that person at the price you specified. It's essentially "You're willing to pay up to 1 million for this, but I'm going to sell it to you for 200k"

If you buy something and you enter a higher number than the sell order is asking, you buy from the person at the price you specify. It's essentially "You want 1 million for this, but I'm going to pay you 2 million"

And you're hardly the only one to do this, I've sold a stack of faction battleships (back when they were close to a billion) for 7 mil each. :-(
Ertur Adestur
Hek Xplo Ltd
#5 - 2015-06-24 09:32:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Ertur Adestur
Hmm... Selling to buyorders shouldn't require you to type anything. Right click, sell item, and the highest available bid will automatically appear.
ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2015-06-24 09:50:45 UTC
well now you have learned and are a more experienced trader for the effort. Better to get that lesson out of the way now while it's cheap than later on when like the previous poster with the stack of faction battleships it could be a much bigger mistake.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#7 - 2015-06-24 09:54:24 UTC
ergherhdfgh wrote:
well now you have learned and are a more experienced trader for the effort. Better to get that lesson out of the way now while it's cheap than later on when like the previous poster with the stack of faction battleships it could be a much bigger mistake.

This is actually how you prevent it happening again.

You **** it up big once and remember it for the rest of your eve career.
Cara Forelli
State War Academy
Caldari State
#8 - 2015-06-24 10:01:41 UTC
Gekka Blue wrote:
Sigh, yes...

The 6 point font they use for everything doesn't help matters.... is that a comma or a period?

I believe the UI size can actually be adjusted in the escape menu. Might make everything else look funny if you put it too large though.

The trick is too click somewhere outside the text entry box after you finish typing the number. This will add the comma/periods so you can more easily recognize the value you actually typed. I like to live dangerously so I generally click and hold the accept button, give my brain one last chance to realize there's a problem, and drag off the button if there is. Big smile

I think I've lost about 100 mil the same way from various derps. But if you spend enough time in the markets what goes around will come around. I once had someone pay me 800 mil for an 80 mil item.

I probably would have even refunded them at least half of it if they'd asked. You can always try contacting the person. Can't really hurt.

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament

Cherri Minoa
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2015-06-24 10:08:24 UTC
Some games stop this from happening. EVE doesn't. Things like this are part of EVE.

I got a nice drop from an anomaly worth 300 mill and sold it for 30 mill by putting the wrong number of zeros. I lost my first ever battlecruiser by shooting someone in hi-sec thinking I was in lo-sec.

Sometimes you screw up. It's how you react to it that decides if you can make it in EVE. The fact that you have already channeled your anger into a plan for revenge suggests you probably have the right frame of mind.

"If I had been censured every time I have run my ship, or fleets under my command, into great danger, I should have long ago been out of the Service" - Horatio Nelson

Aralyn Cormallen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#10 - 2015-06-24 10:12:32 UTC
Look on the bright-side, at least you've made someone elses day a little more pleasant. I suspect this is one of those things that everyone does or sees happen some point during their time. I was lucky, I was on the other side of a mistake - someone bought a Dominix off me once for 3.5 billion, took me ages to figure out where the money came from (I was saving up for my Super at the time, so every isk was being carefully watched, and I suddenly found myself 3 bil nearer my target than I was expecting!)
Aralyn Cormallen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#11 - 2015-06-24 10:14:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Aralyn Cormallen
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:

This is actually how you prevent it happening again.

You **** it up big once and remember it for the rest of your eve career.

This is how I learnt to remember to always update my clone (although no need of that any more), and to watch which Implant set I'm currently in, all in one lovely lossmail Oops
voetius
Grundrisse
#12 - 2015-06-24 11:20:16 UTC

Make sure you have warnings turned on, they are a nuisance but can save your bacon once in a while. If you have turned them off you can re-enable them in the ESC menu.

When you enter a price to sell or buy, tab out of the field and it will fill in commas, decimal point and any zeros

Always double check everything.

As said above, it might be a lot of your net worth at the moment but in the long run it's a cheap lesson.
GankYou
9B30FF Labs
#13 - 2015-06-24 11:58:47 UTC  |  Edited by: GankYou
I'm wiring 27 million ISK to your account to cover your loss.

There are certain rules in place for the regional market Buy & Sell orders:

1) An item is always Bought or Sold for the price that you have specified, even if the the Buy orders are well above that - you will still sell the item for the price you've specified.

2) All Buy & Sell orders are always matched and filled automatically if they are in range. However, it is possible to create a Buy order that would be higher than the lowest Sell order in the region by either placing it in a station, or a system that doesn't have these Sell orders, or by including a minimum Buy quantity clause.

Welcome to EVE. Smile

Cara Forelli wrote:
Gekka Blue wrote:
Sigh, yes...

I believe the UI size can actually be adjusted in the escape menu. Might make everything else look funny if you put it too large though.

The trick is too click somewhere outside the text entry box after you finish typing the number. This will add the comma/periods so you can more easily recognize the value you actually typed. I like to live dangerously so I generally click and hold the accept button, give my brain one last chance to realize there's a problem, and drag off the button if there is. Big smile

That is a good protip - I do the same. Blink

Also, always keep in mind what kind of numbers you're dealing with in any given order - hundreds, thousands or billions, and then very, very diligently & methodically input the last three digits of the order, if it is in the millions for example.
McChicken Combo HalfMayo
The Happy Meal
#14 - 2015-06-24 12:32:35 UTC
Hit dat tab key when you finish typing your prices in. It brings out the commas. Makes it very obvious when you've made an error.

There are all our dominion

Gate camps: "Its like the lowsec watercooler, just with explosions and boose" - Ralph King-Griffin

GankYou
9B30FF Labs
#15 - 2015-06-24 12:37:31 UTC
Speaking of commas, do vote for the Thousands Separator for the In-Game Calc - https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=5766379
Lost Greybeard
Drunken Yordles
#16 - 2015-06-24 13:02:18 UTC
Cherri Minoa wrote:
Some games stop this from happening. EVE doesn't. Things like this are part of EVE.

If you specifically avoid the default 'sell item' mechanic in favor of typing a manual price instead, pretty much _any_ game will assume at that point that you know what you're doing and roll with it.

She manually entered a number, clicked through the approval box, and either clicked through or disabled the "you are selling this item for less than market value" warning popup. That's actually quite a lot of effort required to make this mistake, I'd characterize the 2-3 points where the game explicitly stops you to make sure you're sure with giant yellow exclamation points and pop-up boxes as 'stopping this from happening'.

I mean, no hate on her for screwing up, we all manage to do boneheaded stuff sometimes, but this is NOT a game design issue. Custom sell orders are just that: custom. Even World of Warcraft takes your input price at face value when you use the auction house custom set instead of the suggested sale price.
Syrilian
Doomheim
#17 - 2015-06-24 13:35:19 UTC
That's okay I once accidently sold a Brutix Navy Issue BPC for 1.05 mil instead of the 150 mil it's worth because I didn't put in enough zeros. And yes the contract interface leaves a little to be desired. I have no one else to blame but myself though.
rofflesausage
State War Academy
Caldari State
#18 - 2015-06-24 13:51:53 UTC
Gekka Blue wrote:

As soon as I get a big ass ship I'ma blow up whoever I undersold to out of spite.

I like you. I'll send you some ISK later.
Cara Forelli
State War Academy
Caldari State
#19 - 2015-06-24 13:56:40 UTC
Lost Greybeard wrote:
I mean, no hate on her for screwing up, we all manage to do boneheaded stuff sometimes, but this is NOT a game design issue. Custom sell orders are just that: custom. Even World of Warcraft takes your input price at face value when you use the auction house custom set instead of the suggested sale price.

I disagree to a degree. The warning is functionally useless, to the point where you get desensitized to it. If the warning was "Are you sure you want to sell at a price below the highest buy order available" instead of "Are you sure you want to sell at less than average" it would be a lot more useful IMO. The regional average can get screwy, can be very heavily skewed toward the buy or sell price depending on the item, and is very easily manipulated, so you see this warning all the time.

I'd much rather have a warning that said "HEY! You're throwing away your money at less than this available buy order!" or "Are you sure you want to buy that for more than this available sell order??" than "BTW the buy price happens to be less than 50% of the average sell price for this item in the entire region". Yes thanks, I know that already. That's why I'm trading in it. Roll

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament

ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#20 - 2015-06-24 21:33:08 UTC
getting in the habit of keeping an eye on the percentage from the regional average before hitting accept is a good practice to get in. The regional average won't always be a good number but at least it can often alert you to huge mistakes like misplacing a decimal point.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

12Next page