These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

The Philosopher's Wager, and other shenanigans.

Author
ValentinaDLM
SoE Roughriders
Electus Matari
#81 - 2015-06-18 10:20:46 UTC
Lord Kailethre wrote:
Lyn Farel wrote:
Jennifer Starfall wrote:
or are you just indulging in your personal vice of intellectual debate?

Uh... Okay...

It's a vice now, you sinner!
Repent for your intellect!

I have a few bottles of wine that are perfect for putting that pesky intellect away at least for a few hours.
Jennifer Starfall
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#82 - 2015-06-18 17:08:30 UTC
Lyn Farel wrote:
Jennifer Starfall wrote:

Uh... Okay...

Yes, a vice. She's yielding to her desire to enter into an academic debate to the extent that she's validating heretics. I'd call that a vice.

Food is a necessity for life; however, an over-indulgence in food is the vice of gluttony.

I used to admire Ms. Mithra for ability to debate, among other things. Now, I'm not so sure.

Jennifer Starfall

Fifth Seyllin Conference

Jennifer Starfall
Khimi Harar
#83 - 2015-06-18 17:09:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Jennifer Starfall
Anyanka Funk wrote:
Nicoletta Mithra wrote:
Samira Kernher wrote:
It does depend on who brings it forth, Ms. Mithra. You do not drink water from a poisoned well.

Just that arguments brought forth by a heretic are not like water from a poisoned well at all: Because all water in a poisoned well is poisonous, but a heretic is very well able to bring forth any good and orthodox argument an orthodox Amarr theologian can bring forth.

As such, you'd be foreced to abandon all good and orthodox arguments as soon as a heretic puts them forth and you'd be left with nothing: Unless you'd claim that the same arguments are to be dismissed or accepted depending on who brings them forth. But that would be abandoning the light of reason that God put into us for guidance.

Preach!

Nico... the murderous, cannibalistic sociopath is agreeing with you.

Jennifer Starfall

Fifth Seyllin Conference

Daaaain
Mogu Heavy Industry
#84 - 2015-06-18 17:46:03 UTC
ValentinaDLM wrote:
Lord Kailethre wrote:
Lyn Farel wrote:
Jennifer Starfall wrote:

Uh... Okay...

It's a vice now, you sinner!
Repent for your intellect!

I have a few bottles of wine that are perfect for putting that pesky intellect away at least for a few hours.

Is that an open invitation?Cool
Lyn Farel
Khimi Harar
#85 - 2015-06-18 18:58:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Lyn Farel
Jennifer Starfall wrote:

Yes, a vice. She's yielding to her desire to enter into an academic debate to the extent that she's validating heretics. I'd call that a vice.

Food is a necessity for life; however, an over-indulgence in food is the vice of gluttony.

I used to admire Ms. Mithra for ability to debate, among other things. Now, I'm not so sure.

Well... nice ad-hominems in any case, I guess...

I am sorry you feel it that way. Your reasoning is beyond me.

I wonder if people actually read what Ms Mithra writes sometimes...
Nicoletta Mithra
Khimi Harar
#86 - 2015-06-18 21:00:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Nicoletta Mithra
Jennifer Starfall wrote:
Anyanka Funk wrote:
Nicoletta Mithra wrote:
Samira Kernher wrote:
It does depend on who brings it forth, Ms. Mithra. You do not drink water from a poisoned well.

Just that arguments brought forth by a heretic are not like water from a poisoned well at all: Because all water in a poisoned well is poisonous, but a heretic is very well able to bring forth any good and orthodox argument an orthodox Amarr theologian can bring forth.

As such, you'd be foreced to abandon all good and orthodox arguments as soon as a heretic puts them forth and you'd be left with nothing: Unless you'd claim that the same arguments are to be dismissed or accepted depending on who brings them forth. But that would be abandoning the light of reason that God put into us for guidance.

Preach!

Well, then I'm happy to tell you that I can stand by what is right, regardless of whether a murderous, cannibalistic sociopath is agreeing with what is right or not. What I'm more considered about is that people that claim to be on the right side, who claim to aim - supposedly - to be righteous, abandon readily the light of reason to celebrate their animosity to murderous, cannibalistic sociopaths through ignorance.

If you, like Ms. Kernher does apparently, have a problem with standing by what is right, if a heretic is agreeing with what is right, then I'm sorry for you.
Makkal Hanaya
Revenent Defence Corperation
#87 - 2015-06-18 22:25:00 UTC
I'd prefer the right thing said by the right person, but the right thing said by the wrong person is acceptable.

Render unto Khanid the things which are Khanid's; and unto God the things that are God's.

ValentinaDLM
SoE Roughriders
Electus Matari
#88 - 2015-06-18 22:29:21 UTC
Nicoletta Mithra wrote:
Jennifer Starfall wrote:
Anyanka Funk wrote:
Nicoletta Mithra wrote:
Samira Kernher wrote:

Preach!

Well, then I'm happy to tell you that I can stand by what is right, regardless of whether a murderous, cannibalistic sociopath is agreeing with what is right or not. What I'm more considered about is that people that claim to be on the right side, who claim to aim - supposedly - to be righteous, abandon readily the light of reason to celebrate their animosity to murderous, cannibalistic sociopaths through ignorance.

If you, like Ms. Kernher does apparently, have a problem with standing by what is right, if a heretic is agreeing with what is right, then I'm sorry for you.

Wait so you are saying you don't discount what someone like me says out of hand just becuause I am an apostate? There like has to be something substantively wrong to my words for them to be wrong?
Daaaain
Mogu Heavy Industry
#89 - 2015-06-18 23:35:30 UTC
No wine.... this post is stale.... unsubscribing Blink
Lyn Farel
Khimi Harar
#90 - 2015-06-19 07:42:49 UTC
ValentinaDLM wrote:

Wait so you are saying you don't discount what someone like me says out of hand just becuause I am an apostate? There like has to be something substantively wrong to my words for them to be wrong?

Amarr is about truth, not obscurantism.