These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Make eve free to play!

First post
Author
stoicfaux
#41 - 2015-06-17 12:44:55 UTC
What, no hats?!?

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Omar Alharazaad
New Eden Tech Support
#42 - 2015-06-17 12:45:09 UTC
OP is apparently too young to remember Monoclegate.
I'm sure if his idea were implemented it wouldn't be nearly as bad as that.
Nope.

Also, I really dislike... no, that's too gentle of a term. I loathe the notion of someone turning EVE into the kind of cesspit that is a Minecraft public server, and that is exactly what would happen. Right up until it died.

Come hell or high water, this sick world will know I was here.

Digits Kho
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#43 - 2015-06-17 12:45:31 UTC
Im sitting here wondering how much feed this troll will get
Elenahina
No.Mercy
Triumvirate.
#44 - 2015-06-17 12:48:03 UTC
Captain Awkward wrote:
In my opinion, CCP does not even want more players into the game atm.

Players: Here CCP take our money.
CCP: Nah, we're good. Thanks though.

Seriously? That's the kind of scenario you're envisioning?

Roll

Eve is like an addiction; you can't quit it until it quits you. Also, iderno

Elenahina
No.Mercy
Triumvirate.
#45 - 2015-06-17 12:48:51 UTC
Digits Kho wrote:
Im sitting here wondering how much feed this troll will get

Hopefully enough that he gets his account deleted for gross misconduct against the game. Pirate

Eve is like an addiction; you can't quit it until it quits you. Also, iderno

Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#46 - 2015-06-17 12:49:00 UTC
stoicfaux wrote:
What, no hats?!?

For all we know, valve has a patent on "free" hats...
Otso Bakarti
Doomheim
#47 - 2015-06-17 12:49:46 UTC
You want to kill an MMO? Go FTP with MT.

There just isn't anything that can be said!

Aminari Talar
Brave Empire Inc.
Brave United
#48 - 2015-06-17 12:51:22 UTC
You guys obviously do not understand how mechanics work.
How much do you think this game will climb in population with free to play?
Will it surpass the 40,000 lost in the eve fires? Are you legit in telling me that eves population
will peak above 110-120,000 online with it being free to play?

Where did you guys get logic from?

You realize if more people join, more people consume, and more people die right?
You realize that the economy is only going to change by a variance, and will never be
1,000,000 on everything right?

Its unbelievable that you actually think such a rediculous thing.

Just saying.

On another note, if you advocate the population going up to that point, you only validated
that its positive for the game.

As for "People sitting on toon training"

Rolls eyes, As if they are not already doing that.
Aminari Talar
Brave Empire Inc.
Brave United
#49 - 2015-06-17 12:56:21 UTC
TinkerHell wrote:
As soon as any item is sold in this game that is only bought by real money and benefits the players actual character and not some colourful skin or clothing item i am gone. I will not play any game that requires me to buy more and more items to stay competitive. I play games to win, winning is my fun, i am not playing a game where people can get items and advantages over me because i wasnt willing to mortgage my house to keep buying items.

I will never play any games that have any items that are bought only by real money.

I have also stopped buying games that are full of dlcs, it just allows games to be released half done and for the developers to charge twice as much as they would of previously.

If all games go p2w and dlc i will just go outside and get a life.

you realize in some ways i can argue that everything in this game is already pay to win (by plex buy spam)
Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#50 - 2015-06-17 13:03:06 UTC
Otso Bakarti wrote:
You want to kill an MMO? Go FTP with MT.

Nah they usually all survive once they go that route. They just have ditched their past aspiration because they know at that point their change of being at the top are crushed.

Many a DEV probably got fired for not building a game as good as the PR department was able to hype it...
Commissar Kate
Kesukka
#51 - 2015-06-17 13:03:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Commissar Kate
So exactly how would CCP make money if they went free to play? Selling ships and modules in a cashshop? Possibly Skillpoints? Both of which go against everything that Eve is

Also I don't think the type of person that plays Eve is the same type of person that buys cosmetic items. How many ship skins do you have? I don't even see you wearing any clothes from the nex store either so dont give us **** about buying cosmetic items.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#52 - 2015-06-17 13:04:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Aminari Talar wrote:
You guys obviously do not understand how mechanics work.
How much do you think this game will climb in population with free to play?
Will it surpass the 40,000 lost in the eve fires? Are you legit in telling me that eves population
will peak above 110-120,000 online with it being free to play?

Where did you guys get logic from?

You realize if more people join, more people consume, and more people die right?
You realize that the economy is only going to change by a variance, and will never be
1,000,000 on everything right?
Any gains from going free to pay would be short term, 90% of the people drawn in by it would leave in a matter of months due to the cutthroat nature of Eve or because the next great f2p game has been released.

Quote:
Its unbelievable that you actually think such a rediculous thing.

Just saying.
Pot meet kettle

Quote:
you realize in some ways i can argue that everything in this game is already pay to win (by plex buy spam)
Please feel free to do so, I anticipate much merriment at your expense.

In my experience most people who attempt to pay to win in Eve via PLEX invariably lose the stuff they buy and end up paying for someone else, the person who took their stuff, to win.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Anthar Thebess
#53 - 2015-06-17 13:04:56 UTC
Nes store?! Roll
Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#54 - 2015-06-17 13:06:36 UTC
Commissar Kate wrote:
So exactly how would CCP make money if they went free to play? Selling ships and modules in a cashshop? Possibly Skillpoints? Both of which go against everything that Eve is

Also I don't think the type of person that plays Eve is the same type of person that buys cosmetic items. How many ship skins do you have? I don't even see you wearing any clothes from the nex store either so dont give us **** about buying cosmetic items.

He's banking on the new arrivals to not be the same kind of player as the current one so they will buy cosmetic stuff I guess.

I personally don't belive it but meh...
Mag's
Azn Empire
#55 - 2015-06-17 13:08:36 UTC
Gonna have to go with no.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Omar Alharazaad
New Eden Tech Support
#56 - 2015-06-17 13:15:18 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:

In my experience most people who attempt to pay to win in Eve via PLEX invariably lose the stuff they buy and end up paying for someone else, the person who took their stuff, to win.

I love those guys. Billion ISK batttlecruisers on wide eyed newbies. So hasty to protect their precious metal scraps from being stolen. So sure that they've purchased their very own "I WIN" button. So quick to lose all that bling.

Sadly, I fear that OP is actually very serious and is not trolling us at all. He actually believes this would work.
And it could have worked, 12 years ago. Now, EVE is too established in how it works for such a change to have any effect that's not catastrophic in nature.

Come hell or high water, this sick world will know I was here.

Giaus Felix
Doomheim
#57 - 2015-06-17 13:18:09 UTC
Anthar Thebess wrote:
Nes store?! Roll
NES Store isn't pay to win, everything in there is strictly cosmetic or service orientated and offers no ingame advantage to a single character.

For example multiple character training offers no ingame advantage because it is only possible to log on one character per account.

I came for the spaceships, I stayed for the tears.

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#58 - 2015-06-17 13:21:45 UTC
Going free to play is the "roll over and die" of the MMO world. Furthermore, that would basically abrogate the need for Plex altogether, a huge portion of CCP's income, not to mention alienate a large portion of the existing playerbase.

Why would they **** off their existing customers merely to cater to purely theoretical ones? That would be suicide.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Aminari Talar
Brave Empire Inc.
Brave United
#59 - 2015-06-17 13:26:57 UTC
That is not true.

The plex validity is based on the optional subscription that is being offered.

Basically, If ccp made it so that plex could allow up to all three toons to train 1 skill at a time with a stub, and an additional skill with plex, plex are still if not more equally valid and desirable. It would also allow for ways to speed up new player progression (Which so many have complained about over the years).

And this is just one example

another one is to have the stub give all characters 1 training que, and allow plex to act as the stub rate.

Another is to allow the stub to give one character two skill trains, and allow for plex to train one one the other two.

There is a mountain of options to allow plexing to still be valid.
stoicfaux
#60 - 2015-06-17 13:27:15 UTC
If EVE went Free2Play, then CCP would have to implement a 5 minute skill queue to (slightly) reduce the number of alts that people would create.

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.