These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Windows 10 "free"? A sign of the "apocalypse"? RSVP

Author
Webvan
All Kill No Skill
#1 - 2015-06-13 11:45:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Webvan
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/06/12/free-windows-10-is-a-noble-but-stupid-idea/
Legit Big smile
I was like "what's that little icon on my laptop I just reinstalled win7 on".
Next thing you know, people falling out of the sky with wing parachutes *shrugs*

p.s. sorry for the fail movie reference Straight
at least the music was good...

I'm in it for the money

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F12

Jeanne Tivianne
#2 - 2015-06-13 14:40:36 UTC
You are a day late and a dollar short. I believe this went out two weeks or so ago.

I already reserved my copy. Upgrading tonight.
Akita T
Caldari Navy Volunteer Task Force
#3 - 2015-06-13 15:32:47 UTC
Webvan
All Kill No Skill
#4 - 2015-06-13 21:49:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Webvan
thx for the links. The forbes one is good, and another way to look at it is a less bloated OS. Last link, I don't use cloud services. First link doesn't matter to me since I have technical schooling and exp. But all good links for those that need to be aware.

@Jean. Yeah but like I said, I just got the little icony thingy. Actually, no hide nor hair of it on my desktop computer. I guess firewall working as intended Big smile
As for having that installed, that's beta. Release version isn't until late July. I don't do OS beta's Blink

Anyhoot, not too late nor a dollar short though, you have a year to upgrade for "free". I guess then every legacy version of winders self-destructs muuaahaahhaahaha.
#I<3Linux

Big smile

I'm in it for the money

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F12

Snagletooth Johnson
Snagle Material Services
CAStabouts
#5 - 2015-06-14 16:31:58 UTC
Desptie MS fear mongering, Win7 will usable for several more years. By that time my Comp will need replacing. Unless MS changes their business model, my next comp will be Linux or or a MAC.

Win10 is a sign of the apocolypse, The Cloud is run by the NSA. i will not comply.

Down with the man! Long live the revolution! Grr Goons! Blah, blah blah, yada yada, rumble, rumble...
Commissar Kate
Kesukka
#6 - 2015-06-14 16:59:54 UTC
Snagletooth Johnson wrote:
Desptie MS fear mongering, Win7 will usable for several more years. By that time my Comp will need replacing. Unless MS changes their business model, my next comp will be Linux or or a MAC.

Win10 is a sign of the apocolypse, The Cloud is run by the NSA. i will not comply.

Down with the man! Long live the revolution! Grr Goons! Blah, blah blah, yada yada, rumble, rumble...

HEY!

What did we have to do with this?

Also windows 7 is the next windows XP.

Its a shame that most of the stuff I use and play refuses to work on anything but windows.
Ila Dace
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2015-06-14 19:55:13 UTC
Essentially Windows 10 is Microsoft saying, "OK, screw it, those PCs are ours to do with as we please." No ability to defer updates for home users (meaning MS can decide to remove features, or possibly break things) is a non-starter.

If House played Eve: http://i.imgur.com/y7ShT.jpg

But in purple, I'm stunning!

Sebastian N Cain
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2015-06-16 13:52:54 UTC
Ila Dace wrote:
Essentially Windows 10 is Microsoft saying, "OK, screw it, those PCs are ours to do with as we please." No ability to defer updates for home users (meaning MS can decide to remove features, or possibly break things) is a non-starter.

Well, the fact that home users don't upgrade for **** if they aren't forced to is the main reason bot-nets exist.

Not all are like this, but most users are too dumb to leave such decisions in their hands.

I got lost in thought... it was unfamiliar territory.

Mina Sebiestar
Minmatar Inner Space Conglomerate
#9 - 2015-06-16 14:24:18 UTC
I have win 8.1 pro that I never installed on anything if I do it now will I have free upgrade to win 10 pro or did I miss the train?

You choke behind a smile a fake behind the fear

Because >>I is too hard

Commissar Kate
Kesukka
#10 - 2015-06-16 14:34:43 UTC
Mina Sebiestar wrote:
I have win 8.1 pro that I never installed on anything if I do it now will I have free upgrade to win 10 pro or did I miss the train?

You should be able to get a free copy if you have windows 7 as well.
Mina Sebiestar
Minmatar Inner Space Conglomerate
#11 - 2015-06-16 15:23:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Mina Sebiestar
Aye my desktop run 7 lapy is on 8.1got reservation pop up for those.

8.1 pro in unpacked dvd that I plan to install on new desktop some time in future and since it is oem it will permanently glue it self to mobo....just hoping I have more time current high end rigs are not what I want.

You choke behind a smile a fake behind the fear

Because >>I is too hard

Webvan
All Kill No Skill
#12 - 2015-06-16 22:25:49 UTC
Ila Dace wrote:
M$ developing the mega DDS attack weapon, targeting huge regions of the world with instantaneous mega patches bringing their puny networks to their knees.

I'm in it for the money

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F12

Commissar Kate
Kesukka
#13 - 2015-06-17 02:15:53 UTC
Webvan wrote:
Ila Dace wrote:
M$ developing the mega DDS attack weapon, targeting huge regions of the world with instantaneous mega patches bringing their puny networks to their knees.

So this is how Skynet really begins. Windows 10
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#14 - 2015-06-17 04:02:57 UTC
My understanding of Windows 10 is that it is only "free" for the first year. After that you have to pay.

Even after doing some basic research I'm still unsure about this.

Someone want to quash this rumor?
Webvan
All Kill No Skill
#15 - 2015-06-17 04:27:43 UTC
Just offered free for the first year on upgrade, after that if you want to upgrade you pay. So if you put it off for over a year, the upgrade will cost. Like they were saying at E3 today, they want to get everyone on the same OS version to make it easier for developers. They will likely get us with the upgrade to pro, unless you don't mind forced updates and whatever timing they think is right for those updates, even in the middle of serious internet spaceship business.

I'm in it for the money

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F12

Snagletooth Johnson
Snagle Material Services
CAStabouts
#16 - 2015-06-17 08:50:13 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:
My understanding of Windows 10 is that it is only "free" for the first year. After that you have to pay.

Even after doing some basic research I'm still unsure about this.

Someone want to quash this rumor?

Quash it? It's a fantastic rumor. We should instead propagate it endlessly and mercilessly.

Quick! To the meme generators! We have a live one...
c4binfever
The Junk Committee
#17 - 2015-06-17 10:49:46 UTC
The more i read about W10 the more Im unsure whether to upgrade. I'm not keen on upgrading before it has properly been tested in the consumer market.

Reality is that i probably wont upgrade until i need to do something that's only possible on W10

<--dotbot

stoicfaux
#18 - 2015-06-17 11:04:48 UTC
Hrm, so if I upgrade to Winodws 10, and then after a year, if anything ever happens to my laptop and I have to do a factory re-install of Windows 8.1, then I will have to pay for the Windows 10 upgrade or stick with 8.1.

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Webvan
All Kill No Skill
#19 - 2015-06-17 11:29:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Webvan
stoicfaux wrote:
Hrm, so if I upgrade to Winodws 10, and then after a year, if anything ever happens to my laptop and I have to do a factory re-install of Windows 8.1, then I will have to pay for the Windows 10 upgrade or stick with 8.1.

Just guessing, logical guess, but no. You have a product key, they store that along with your system specs, and any reg data you provide. It's just a regular upgrade like they have been doing for years. So reinstalling Win10 after the year should not be an issue. However, I don't know if you can downgrade... say to reinstall win7 or 8. Also I don't know if they reset the system hardware change list, but less of an issue there. Something I'll be reading for in the EULA whenever we get to see it.

Oh and screw factory reinstall. You just download the Win10 dvd. Way better to do that since factory installers are usually loaded with bloatware - spyware - all kinds of crap you dont want.

I'm in it for the money

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F12

Something Random
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2015-06-17 22:13:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Something Random
Wow - sooooooo many what if's.

Hedge your Bets 101 - say 'hell yeh..... put me on the list'
Make a mirror backup of your main drive.

Sorted ?

/content
Akita T's forbes post
Anything Media Centre offered above DLNA equipped gear ?
You gonna miss gadgets ?
Live Essentials in totality would be a loss ?
Did you never install an update at home? (not talking in the office - very different thus the enterprise/pro gotcha)

Very little there.
Not pro - but frankly, you are not going to get away without it in the end - and its free.

"caught on fire a little bit, just a little."

"Delinquents, check, weirdos, check, hippies, check, pillheads, check, freaks, check, potheads, check .....gangs all here!"

I love Science, it gives me a Hadron.