These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

What exactly is "Input Automation"??

Author
Cyborg Girl86
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2015-06-13 11:22:36 UTC
Hi everyone!

No this is not a troll thread. I'm asking because I honestly don't know.

I read CCP Falcon's thread up at the top of GD describing how input-automation is an illegal offense that can get you banned on your 2nd strike, but I wanted some clarification as to what they mean by input automation.

When I play I usually have 3 toons logged in all at once on 3 seperate clients all running on the same computer. I alt+tab to switch between toons and input all of the ship commands for my 3-man fleet manually. Took me a while to get the hang of it, but its gotten to the point now that I can alt+tab between the 3 clients and command all 3 ships almost seamlessly. I never use 3rd party software, just the game clients themselves.

So is how I'm playing with my 3 toons allowed? I'm asking because I don't want to be doing something illegal that could get me banned from my beloved game lol.
Commander Spurty
#2 - 2015-06-13 11:25:44 UTC
First off, ALT+TAB? What year is this again? :P

Secondly, if that's all you're doing, nothing to worry about.

It's when you are using something like IsBoxer to send input to one character and have software carry it over to all the other windows. That's "trying too hard" to be fun to play with in the sandbox.

There are good ships,

And wood ships,

And ships that sail the sea

But the best ships are Spaceships

Built by CCP

Ferni Ka'Nviiou
Doomheim
#3 - 2015-06-13 11:36:56 UTC
Input-Automation:
You perform an action on one client (e.g, activating a module), and software will simultaneously sends that command into the other clients.

Not Input Automation:
You activate the module on each client with your mouse or keyboard.
Yarda Black
The Black Redemption
#4 - 2015-06-13 12:12:12 UTC
I fail to see the "automation" part of your actions.

What exactly do you automate that needs testing against the rules?
Elenahina
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2015-06-13 12:14:28 UTC
Anybody have the link to that handy flowchart?

Eve is like an addiction; you can't quit it until it quits you. Also, iderno

Eternus8lux8lucis
Primus Inc.
LEGIO ASTARTES ARCANUM
#6 - 2015-06-13 12:16:49 UTC
You can use a program like synergy to use one mouse over several screens and computers so you only have to use one keyboard and mouse as well. But on each client it has to be its own keypress or mouse click, no cloning keypresses or mouse clicks to other clients from one client.

Both IsBoxer and synergy have keystroke/mouse cloning options which CCP made illegal in Jan. The software still has uses but its minimal now rather than the rampant I can control 50 clients with one keystroke issue that was going on.

So what your doing is perfectly legal. Also... get more screen real estate NOAW!! Its well worth it to not have to alt tab and it doesnt cost much these days.

Have you heard anything I've said?

You said it's all circling the drain, the whole universe. Right?

That's right.

Had to end sometime.

Do Little
Bluenose Trading
#7 - 2015-06-13 12:30:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Do Little
There is an approved multi-boxing tool called EVE-O at https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=389086 May cut down on the need to ALT+TAB
Jeanne Tivianne
#8 - 2015-06-13 12:49:48 UTC
Do Little wrote:
There is an approved multi-boxing tool called EVE-O at https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=389086. May cut down on the need to ALT+TAB

Link 404s sir.
Scipio Artelius
The Vendunari
End of Life
#9 - 2015-06-13 12:51:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Jeanne Tivianne wrote:
Do Little wrote:
There is an approved multi-boxing tool called EVE-O at https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=389086 May cut down on the need to ALT+TAB

Link 404s sir.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=389086

Just remove the full stop off the end
Jeanne Tivianne
#10 - 2015-06-13 13:16:26 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Jeanne Tivianne wrote:
Do Little wrote:

Link 404s sir.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=389086

Just remove the full stop off the end

Much appreciated, I am still a bit simple-minded when it comes to computers.
Omar Alharazaad
Nefarious Porpoise
#11 - 2015-06-13 13:18:32 UTC
wat's wrong with alt-tabbing? 0.o

Come hell or high water, this sick world will know I was here.

Commander Spurty
#12 - 2015-06-13 14:01:22 UTC
You play eve and don't have 2+ monitors?

Wow, prolly still on win xp

There are good ships,

And wood ships,

And ships that sail the sea

But the best ships are Spaceships

Built by CCP

Nevil Oscillator
#13 - 2015-06-13 18:49:19 UTC
Wats wrong with win xp ?
OverlordY
Interspan
#14 - 2015-06-13 21:51:11 UTC
Or just play fullscreen windowed and use the taskbar..
lost packet
Alpha Flight
Almost Broken
#15 - 2015-06-13 23:57:34 UTC
Commander Spurty wrote:
First off, ALT+TAB? What year is this again? :P

Secondly, if that's all you're doing, nothing to worry about.

It's when you are using something like IsBoxer to send input to one character and have software carry it over to all the other windows. That's "trying too hard" to be fun to play with in the sandbox.

2 monitors, 6 clients.
lost packet
Alpha Flight
Almost Broken
#16 - 2015-06-14 00:01:12 UTC
Cyborg Girl86 wrote:
Hi everyone!

I read CCP Falcon's thread up at the top of GD describing how input-automation is an illegal offense that can get you banned on your 2nd strike, but I wanted some clarification as to what they mean by input automation.

When I play I usually have 3 toons logged in all at once on 3 seperate clients all running on the same computer. I alt+tab to switch between toons and input all of the ship commands for my 3-man fleet manually. Took me a while to get the hang of it, but its gotten to the point now that I can alt+tab between the 3 clients and command all 3 ships almost seamlessly. I never use 3rd party software, just the game clients themselves.

So is how I'm playing with my 3 toons allowed? I'm asking because I don't want to be doing something illegal that could get me banned from my beloved game lol.

having 3 eve clients open on a computer with 1,2 or even 3 monitors is legal, whereby you have to activate each window in say a combat scenario and press F1 on each client is fine.

Running isBoxer or similar utilities to press F1 across all clients at the same time is against the EULA.
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#17 - 2015-06-14 00:59:42 UTC
Cyborg Girl86 wrote:
Hi everyone!

I do basically the same thing. Thats fine.

What is always allowed: One keystroke sends one command to one client.

Switching to another client is not controlling the client, its controlling your computer.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Black Panpher
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#18 - 2015-06-14 01:01:05 UTC
Commander Spurty wrote:
You play eve and don't have 2+ monitors?

Wow, prolly still on win xp

And you prolly have 2 cheap ass Monitors Roll
Cyborg Girl86
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2015-06-14 01:13:29 UTC
Thanks for the clarification everyone! Big smile
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#20 - 2015-06-14 04:49:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
Elenahina wrote:
Anybody have the link to that handy flowchart?

CCP Random tweeted this handy flowchart:
https://twitter.com/CCP_Random/status/537380608906104833
12Next page