These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

EveBase

Author
Nalha Saldana
The Vomit Comets
#1 - 2015-06-10 08:26:23 UTC
Me and some friends have been working on this site as a school project and the plan is to continue developing it into a site where you have all the information you need about your character, the market and what's going on in Eve Online.

https://www.theEveBase.com/

The plan is to add features like:

• Skill queue planning
  • Ship fitting manager
  • Industry calculator
  • PI planner
  • Community features like forums and character profiles
  • And many more..

All of this together on a single site that holds your stuff so you can check in from work or your phone as well as when you're playing would be very powerful.

All feedback and criticism is welcome, it's still in a early stage with lots of basic things not yet implemented but I hope you can find some use of it today.
Otso Bakarti
Doomheim
#2 - 2015-06-10 11:22:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Otso Bakarti
Your EVE News content doesn't fit in the box you gave it? The horizontal slider...bad idea. Your text color needs more contrast. Perhaps a lighter blue, or an off white? I'd even, at this juncture in EVE life, question the importance of a graph showing "mineral prices". I'm assuming it's in the aggregate. Most people need more detailed, and (emphasize) current price information about the huge variety of market items. Having that graph on your front page uses a lot of space for what it offers the viewer.

Let us know when you get some content up.

There just isn't anything that can be said!

Nalha Saldana
The Vomit Comets
#3 - 2015-06-10 14:16:55 UTC
Otso Bakarti wrote:
Your EVE News content doesn't fit in the box you gave it? The horizontal slider...bad idea. Your text color needs more contrast. Perhaps a lighter blue, or an off white? I'd even, at this juncture in EVE life, question the importance of a graph showing "mineral prices". I'm assuming it's in the aggregate. Most people need more detailed, and (emphasize) current price information about the huge variety of market items. Having that graph on your front page uses a lot of space for what it offers the viewer.

The side scroll on eve news only appears when the window is too small for the images they link to, which doesnt happen for me or the other developers but I'll look into making sure they are scaled down for smaller windows.

Would you mind sharing a screenshot of the text? Because none of us find the current color scheme difficult to read but I guess that can differ between users.

The mineral index isn't there to give specific info but just a look at whats going on for traders to maybe spot a chance of buying/selling in mass. If you click the hamburger menu in the corner you can get more specific info about the different minerals or you could go to the market page (https://www.theevebase.com/market) and find current price data on any item in several systems.

More updates on the market page are about to be launched soon(tm) which will improve its usability a ton.
Ursula Thrace
Dreamland Augmented Consortium
#4 - 2015-06-10 23:30:07 UTC
OP, i commend you on building this site. i understand you'll be implementing features in the future, so it's hard to gauge what the site will be like.

i do, however, really like the color combinations you've chosen. i would recommend not including eve news from any source, be it themittani.com or from official eve online sites. don't try and cram a bunch of unnecessary junk into your site - keep it clean and simple! folks will decide whether it's worth a visit or not.

good luck!
Otso Bakarti
Doomheim
#5 - 2015-06-11 03:41:08 UTC
Nalha Saldana wrote:
Otso Bakarti wrote:

The side scroll on eve news only appears when the window is too small for the images they link to, which doesnt happen for me or the other developers but I'll look into making sure they are scaled down for smaller windows.

Would you mind sharing a screenshot of the text? Because none of us find the current color scheme difficult to read but I guess that can differ between users.

The mineral index isn't there to give specific info but just a look at whats going on for traders to maybe spot a chance of buying/selling in mass. If you click the hamburger menu in the corner you can get more specific info about the different minerals or you could go to the market page (https://www.theevebase.com/market) and find current price data on any item in several systems.

More updates on the market page are about to be launched soon(tm) which will improve its usability a ton.

Maybe these features should be more featured. One "news" ticker serves that purpose. The Mittani link? Uhm...if that floats your boat. The text is legible, it's just not so sharp as to invite attention. After a while such lack of contrast causes eye fatigue. Readers normally respond to that by turning the page, or looking for pictures. It's all in presentation. Presentation can by stylish, but when you're offering informational content it first must be functional.

There just isn't anything that can be said!