These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

why do players stay in npc corps?

First post
Author
Mayhaw Morgan
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1561 - 2015-06-09 22:34:21 UTC
Scipio Artellius wrote:
Yes, CCP made NPC Corps and they are a needed mechanic. They are still a Corp, but most older NPC sitting players just treat them as a safe haven for their own activity rather than a group of people.

Of course it isn't your job. Even for many players in player Corps, they consume rather than create content for others. But they also aren't here whinging that CCP and others should be doing more. They aren't here whining and complaining for nerfs to others play styles to suit their own self interests and they aren't here complaining that CCP is failing just because they are trying to make changes that will help.

Even those that don't often create content in player corps still regularly contribute to the social environment of the corp just by taking part in the activities that the Corp runs. NPC sitters rarely do the same.

No one is suggesting you try to control anyone other than yourself. Most NPC sitting complainers don't even do that though. Rather than take personal responsibility for things and try to offer what they can, it constantly comes back to externalising the problems as being CCPs fault, or some other player or groups fault. Never, what can they do to help other players. Only, what can they complain about that helps themselves.

You don't need buffs for players to get active. It just needs players to get active

Yes, CCP made Player Corps and they are a needed mechanic. They are still a social group, but most older Player Corp sitting players just treat them as a safe haven for their own activity rather than a group of people.

Of course it isn't your job. Even for many players in NPC Corps, they create rather than consume content from others. And they also aren't here whining that CCP and others should be doing more. They aren't here whining and complaining for nerfs to others play styles to suit their own self interests and they aren't here complaining that CCP is failing just because they are trying to make changes that will help.

Even those that don't often create content in NPC corps still regularly contribute to the social environment of the corp just by taking part in the activities that the Corp runs. Player Corp sitters rarely do the same.

No one is suggesting you try to control anyone other than yourself. Most Player Corp sitting complainers don't even do that though. Rather than take personal responsibility for things and try to offer what they can, it constantly comes back to externalising the problems as being CCPs fault, or some other player or groups fault. Never, what can they do to help other players. Only, what can they complain about that helps themselves.

You don't need buffs for players to get active. It just needs players to get active.
Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#1562 - 2015-06-09 22:44:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Mayhaw Morgan wrote:
Blah about what a good job NPC Corps are doing and how bad player corps are.

If this were true, there wouldn't be recent quotes from CCP around like this:

CCP Bettik wrote:
...we are teaching people that it's safer in an NPC corporation than a player corporation. We know that it is better for them to join a player corporation, ...

CCP Punkturis wrote:
For many players, their optimal choice is therefore to avoid signing up to a corp altogether, and so they inevitably miss out on many of the meaningful social interactions that make EVE unique.

CCP Rise wrote:
...We have this other small group of 5-10% that do move into a really wide range of experiences. They move into you know...they're trading with other players a lot, they're in corps much more often, they're talking in fleet chats more often and they're on pvp kills more often. And these people tend to stick with us...

There are a lot more examples. There's nothing inherently wrong with NPC Corps. For some players they are perfect. But there is no comparison between the social environment created by the players in a player Corp and the near non-existent social environment in almost all of the NPC Corps.

To try to suggest that "Even those that don't often create content in NPC corps still regularly contribute to the social environment of the corp just by taking part in the activities that the Corp runs." is laughable for how easy it is to prove wrong.

100% of us in the game have experience in NPC Corps. We all know how little there is in the way of corp activities in them. It could all be there, but for nearly all of them, it isn't; and it would be fine if everyone could just join CAS, but they can't.

Anyone not out already creating content or being social in other ways could take steps themselves to change that. But whinging in the forum about how player Corps are fail is just the easier option.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#1563 - 2015-06-09 23:22:04 UTC
Aza Ebanu wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

But how I (or anyone one else) is playing is immaterial, I don't give a flip about what others do,

Yeah you do. Don't try to make it about game mechanics or I'll have to submit links and make you look like a bigger hypocrite.

Submit what you like, you do know we're talking about a game right?
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#1564 - 2015-06-09 23:25:51 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Lol, you're the one doing all the damage control following the exodus cause by your first wardec.
"The truth is whatever I feel like it should be!"

~Lucas Kell, 2015.
Generally when neither side of an opinion can be trusted I tend to go with the facts. In this case the facts show that a wardec starts then a third of the members leave. If this wasn't someone you particularly like and was instead one of the players you hate so much, you'd likely point out the same. Instead, like Jenn you're just attempting to discredit me so that people don't look at the fully verifiable facts.

You simply don't have a drop of decency in you, and nothing we say about this game is going to change that. I told yo why 2 of my friends who just came back to the game left my corp. You think I need to lie to some nobody on a forum? None of this stuff is real man. If you think that, you really should step back from this game and forum and think about things.
Eli Stan
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#1565 - 2015-06-09 23:42:47 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Eli Stan wrote:

Just like station trading comes with it's own form of risk, NPC characters hauling, mining and missioning face their own form of risk - billion ISK freighter losses for NPC corp pilots happen every day just about, for example, and NPC corp pilots lose mining barges in highsec every day too.

Thank you for illustrating the point. Those pilots face suicde gank risk. PLAYER CORP pilots face suicide gank AND WAR DEC risk.

Indeed. And the point is risk vs reward, right? Since we've discussed the different levels of risk, we should then also discuss the different levels of reward. Namely, NPC corp pilots cannot jointly hold property with other pilots, which includes items like POCOs, POSes and SOV, and NPC corp pilots are subject to an 11% corporation tax while corp pilots can chose 0% tax.

Seems to me to be a reasonable balance between the two. There's no need for things to be monolithic. Just like an Atron is a fast but fragile frigate while an Incursus is a slower but tankier frigate with more DPS - the Atron and the Incusus are different yet balanced, just like the NPC corp and player corp character are different but balanced, with different bonuses and penalties such that different players can make different choices between the two based on their preferences.

Quote:
The cost of war dec protection is 11% corp taxes. No mining yeild tax. No LP store penalty, no ship class restriction, no travel restrictions (you're a member of a Gallente NPC corp, but unless you screwed up your standings, all of Caldari space is yours to travel), no nothing. 11% corp tax and inability to own certain structures, that's it.

Yep. Sounds good to me. (YMMV, obviously. P)

Quote:
And that's the reason NPC corps become these RichVet havens like blinged out incursion runners (many of whom are alts of out-of-highsec players, creating a 'wealth funnel' that makes WH, Null sec and low sec conflict aimed at cutting supply lines totally irrelevant).

If your issue is that nullsec players can make ISK via highsec alts (or, transversely, that highsec players can make ISK via nullsec carrier ratting alts in, say, CFC in Deklein) then you should be looking to address the alt system.

If your issue is that highsec Incursions are too lucrative in your opinion, you should be looking to address the Incursion system. (For what it's worth, looking through a couple week's worth of Vindicator losses on zKill I see a number of highsec losses of such ships worth close to 2 billion each, some in NPC corps, many in player corps, so it's not an endeavor without risk, regardless of what type of corp the pilot is in.)

Quote:
Station trading doesn't produce new isk or materials, in space activities do. NPC corp members get to do this with reduced risk and negligible cost (11% tax and inability to place structures). people don't need to be forced out of npc corps, Veterans using npc corps as a refuge should face higher costs for the protection.

The risk of station trading is other station traders.

Wouldn't it then follow that the risk of NPC characters is... other NPC characters? If simple competition between station traders who effectively cannot be wardeced means station trading is balanced, it seems that competition between NPC corp characters means being in an NPC corp is balanced as well. I'm reminded of a post many pages ago where somebody complained about being out-competed for asteroids, so because he couldn't hack it he wanted to shoot people. If he had been outcompeted in the marketplace, I wonder if he would have been calling for the ability to wardec and shoot traders as well... If you then think that there's too much ISK to be made in highsec for competition to be a factor, then I think you need to be looking at discussing with CCP the balance of ISK availability in the game.

Anyway, I don't see why it matters where the ISK comes from, whether the ISK springs out of CCP programed spawns, or from transaction with another player, or from picking up a freighter's loot after a gank. And what's the difference between a new player highsec mining in a Retriever and a veteran player highsec mining in a Retriever? Same for running L4 missions, which new players can do via a BS somewhat soon after joining if that's what they focus on. Your only complaint that I have some sympathy with is in regards to Incursion running, but I'm quite unfamiliar with that aspect of EVE so won't discuss.

Really, the only two objections to NPC corps I see often are:
a) "I want to shoot them in highsec but I cant," and
b) Incursion runners (or miners, or whomever) make too much ISK for the lack of risk of being shot by other players.

For a) I say HTFU and come to low/null. There's plenty of us NPC types there for folks to shoot. For b) I say start a thread discussing Incursions or mining or general ISK-making opportunities in highsec.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#1566 - 2015-06-09 23:49:50 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
You simply don't have a drop of decency in you, and nothing we say about this game is going to change that. I told yo why 2 of my friends who just came back to the game left my corp. You think I need to lie to some nobody on a forum? None of this stuff is real man. If you think that, you really should step back from this game and forum and think about things.
Lol, one of us certainly does need to take a step back. Seriously guy, don't take it so seriously. So your corp falls apart under a wardec just like the many carebears you like to talk down to. It's no big deal. It certainly does seem like the opinion of "some nobody on a forum" is very important to you or you wouldn't be doing full on damage control, so yes, I think you'd lie. But still, chill out.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#1567 - 2015-06-10 00:28:53 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Lol, one of us certainly does need to take a step back. Seriously guy, don't take it so seriously. So your corp falls apart under a wardec just like the many carebears you like to talk down to. It's no big deal. It certainly does seem like the opinion of "some nobody on a forum" is very important to you or you wouldn't be doing full on damage control, so yes, I think you'd lie. But still, chill out.

It doesn't really matter that's true, it's just funny to image a person sitting behind a computer knowing he's trolling (because honestly, we both know that despite your obvious issues you're not really stupid, simply emotional over another poster telling you something uncomfortable).

After this last bit you have my word that I'll leave this alone even though we now you won't (because you think you have a wedge over someone who hurt your feelings, when what you should have done is wonder why your feelings are exposed over a forum lol). I listened to your CSM interviews, you could actually contribute something if you could get past your issues. Your problem is your ideological bent, not your intelligence.

Feel free to continue, I'll simply say good luck bro.
ISD Decoy
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#1568 - 2015-06-10 00:37:49 UTC
Quote:
7. Discussion of real life religion and politics is prohibited.

Discussion of real life religion and politics is strictly prohibited on the EVE Online forums. Discussions of this nature often creates animosity between forum users due to real life political or military conflicts. CCP promotes the growth of a gaming community where equality is at the forefront. Nationalist, religious or political affiliations are not part of EVE Online, and should not be part of discussion on the EVE Online forums.

I have removed a post and one quoting it. Please keep real life politics and religion off of our discussion boards.

ISD Decoy

Captain

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#1569 - 2015-06-10 00:39:58 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
I listened to your CSM interviews, you could actually contribute something if you could get past your issues.

Between the military and the financial industry before that, I've dealt with enough intellectually dishonest people to know irredeemable when I see it.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

MatrixSkye Mk2
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#1570 - 2015-06-10 01:50:46 UTC  |  Edited by: MatrixSkye Mk2
Why do players stay in NPC corps?

Play time constraint/real life issues
For fun
You trust no one in-game
You trust everyone in-game
You're very social in-game
You're anti-social in-game
You like to role-play
A break from 0.0/CTA's
A break from lo sec
A break from lunch break
You're comfortable in an NPC corp. No appeal to go anywhere else.
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

At the end of the day some will not like that you choose to stay in an NPC corp. But it's your subscription, your play style. Don't worry about it. As long as you're playing by the rules you're good to go... Or in this case, good to stay.

Successfully doinitwrong™ since 2006.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#1571 - 2015-06-10 07:07:19 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
we both know that despite your obvious issues you're not really stupid, simply emotional over another poster telling you something uncomfortable).

Jenn aSide wrote:
because you think you have a wedge over someone who hurt your feelings

Jenn aSide wrote:
if you could get past your issues. Your problem is your ideological bent, not your intelligence.
You realise that you are the one constantly insulting and attacking me, claiming I have issues and I'm a carebear and a whole host of other colourful terms, right? The truth is I have no feelings about this game neither do I have any feelings about your existence, I simply find it entertaining when people decide to target me for their unrelenting feelings of hatred. I have no "issues" as you say, you're simply projecting whatever problem it is you've got against me, as you always have. Obviously, like Kaarous, I've said something or done something at some point in the distant past that has made you decide that I'm a horrible horrible person, that's obvious from your response to anything I post being hostile and insulting, regardless of what or where I post. Whatever issues exist here, they are yours. I doubt you shall ever see me getting emotional over either a game or posting on the internet.

Ima GoodGirl
Aria Shi's Wasted ISK
#1572 - 2015-06-10 07:17:07 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Mayhaw Morgan wrote:
Blah about what a good job NPC Corps are doing and how bad player corps are.

If this were true, there wouldn't be recent quotes from CCP around like this:

CCP Bettik wrote:
...we are teaching people that it's safer in an NPC corporation than a player corporation. We know that it is better for them to join a player corporation, ...

CCP Punkturis wrote:
For many players, their optimal choice is therefore to avoid signing up to a corp altogether, and so they inevitably miss out on many of the meaningful social interactions that make EVE unique.

CCP Rise wrote:
...We have this other small group of 5-10% that do move into a really wide range of experiences. They move into you know...they're trading with other players a lot, they're in corps much more often, they're talking in fleet chats more often and they're on pvp kills more often. And these people tend to stick with us...

There are a lot more examples. There's nothing inherently wrong with NPC Corps. For some players they are perfect. But there is no comparison between the social environment created by the players in a player Corp and the near non-existent social environment in almost all of the NPC Corps.

To try to suggest that "Even those that don't often create content in NPC corps still regularly contribute to the social environment of the corp just by taking part in the activities that the Corp runs." is laughable for how easy it is to prove wrong.

100% of us in the game have experience in NPC Corps. We all know how little there is in the way of corp activities in them. It could all be there, but for nearly all of them, it isn't; and it would be fine if everyone could just join CAS, but they can't.

Anyone not out already creating content or being social in other ways could take steps themselves to change that. But whinging in the forum about how player Corps are fail is just the easier option.

Your just making quotes up. Stop inventing prove for your fail points.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#1573 - 2015-06-10 07:27:53 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
I don't disagree with this, but the answer doesn't lie in kicking NPC corp players in the nuts. Players need to want to move out, not to be forced out.

Scipio Artelius wrote:
It's easier said that done though. The problem is that social tools do not exist (yet) so getting people from NPC corps on board with doing something they wouldn't necessarily do on a normal day is quite difficult. Player corps obviously do have their problems too though. Its impossible to create a sizable highsec corp that operates without the heavy use of NPC alts where the primary focus isn't PvP. It's quite sad that is the case, but it's true. It's why groups like red frog only use their corp as a contract pool and do everything else with NPC characters. Personally I think the mechanics around wardecs need to be completely revamped so that non-PvP corporations are more viable and not instantly the prime targets, and I think that we need the social tools discussed in the other thread to overlay both player and NPC corp affiliation to give a better way for people to group up and play cooperatively without fully committing.

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#1574 - 2015-06-10 07:59:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Ima GoodGirl wrote:
Actually he's not. CCP staff actually said those things, which you would have realised if you'd spent a little time using google instead of foaming at the mouth.

CCP Bettik wrote:
Page 81 CSM 9 Summer minutes

CCP Punkturis wrote:
Corp little things and friendly fire toggle dev blog

CCP Rise wrote:
Fanfest 2014 NPE vision presentation

Now apologise to the man for calling him a liar when he was in fact quite truthful.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Nevil Oscillator
#1575 - 2015-06-10 09:41:47 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Ima GoodGirl wrote:

Now apologise to the man for calling him a liar when he was in fact quite truthful.

It's just someone's trolling Alt having a laugh
Mayhaw Morgan
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1576 - 2015-06-10 11:02:02 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:

Jonah Gravenstein defending someone's honest character is like Bernie Madoff endorsing an investment product.

He's not being honest. He's being obtuse. We've already gone over two of those quotes. They don't say what he says they say.
If he wanted to be honest, he would have left that post unedited. It originally contained a statement by him essentially saying that his own words were "typical bullshit". I happened to agree with him on that point.

You're both liars.
Jonah Gravenstein
#1577 - 2015-06-10 11:11:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Mayhaw Morgan wrote:
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Jonah Gravenstein defending someone's honest character is like Bernie Madoff endorsing an investment product.
That's rich coming from you.

Quote:
He's not being honest. He's being obtuse. We've already gone over two of those quotes. They don't say what he says they say.
The interpretation of the quotes is irrelevant; those quotes exist, so how is he not being honest?

Quote:
If he wanted to be honest, he would have left that post unedited. It originally contained a statement by him essentially saying that his own words were "typical bullshit". I happened to agree with him on that point.
You're the expert on bullshit so I'll bow down to your superior knowledge.

Quote:
You're both liars.
Yes, I'm a liar for presenting evidence that those quotes are correctly attributed to their authors and that they exist; and he's a liar for presenting those quotes in the first place Roll

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Nevil Oscillator
#1578 - 2015-06-10 11:29:01 UTC
I pity anyone who has to read a 79 page thread full of personal bickering
Mayhaw Morgan
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1579 - 2015-06-10 12:00:26 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Yes, I'm a liar for presenting evidence that those quotes are correctly attributed to their authors and that they exist; and he's a liar for presenting those quotes in the first place

Those quotes exist.
Those people did say them.
He did present those quotes.
You are still liars.
Anything else?
Jonah Gravenstein
#1580 - 2015-06-10 12:16:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Mayhaw Morgan wrote:
Those quotes exist.
Those people did say them.
He did present those quotes.
You are still liars.
Would you care to expand on the 4th statement; bearing in mind that in the context of this thread the first 3 statements being true means that the 4th is a falsehood.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack