These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Social Corps

First post First post
Author
Urziel99
Multiplex Gaming
Tactical Narcotics Team
#861 - 2015-06-07 02:16:30 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Sibyyl wrote:
A buff, by definition, is an asymmetric change to mechanic to favor one side over the other. The Bowhead is created to fill a PVE need (see below), it is capable of being ganked. Looks like neither a buff or a nerf to me.
Well no, a buff is a change which improves a given task, regardless of whether it was designed to or not. As a more extreme example, if they created a dirt cheap ship (like 1m) capable out outputting 100k DPS with small guns so that burner mission runners could have a nice ship to deal a shockingly large amount of damage, it would also be used for ganking. To claim that ganking was not buffed by that change because it wasn't designed to improve ganking would be laughable, anyone could see that.

This is the problem I have with this. Anything which even remotely improves highsec safety, no matter what the mechanic is or how passively it does it is claimed to be a highsec safety buff, yet mechanics which are actively used by gankers to be more efficient are dismissed.

Scipio Artelius wrote:
So if you look at the reasons something was introduced into the game by CCP and stick to their reasons, then there is no way you can sustain an argument that the bowhead was introduced as a buff to pvp. It wasn't and nowhere has CCP stated that as a reason.
See above. Why it was claimed to be introduces is irrelevant, the effect is what is measured. If we're only to go by what CCP claimed the change was for, then there's probably very few high sec safety buffs either, since I don't remember many times where CCP have stated that as the aim of a change.

The Bowhead, and it's use by gankers is a classic example of sandbox gameplay. The gankers are just mad that we count there sandbox mechanics against them as they count our sandbox mechanics against us.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#862 - 2015-06-07 02:20:37 UTC
Urziel99 wrote:

The Bowhead, and it's use by gankers is a classic example of sandbox gameplay. The gankers are just mad that we count there sandbox mechanics against them as they count our sandbox mechanics against us.

How are mining barge buffs and the removal of insurance "sandbox mechanics"? I for one count that against you because it was intended to directly nerf PvP conflict in highsec, and that's what it did. There is no "sandbox mechanic" in play with the many, many unreasonable buffs to highsec safety.

And you're sitting here crying about the Bowhead? You've chosen that rock to die on? You two are ridiculous.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Urziel99
Multiplex Gaming
Tactical Narcotics Team
#863 - 2015-06-07 02:37:56 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Urziel99 wrote:

How are mining barge buffs and the removal of insurance "sandbox mechanics"? I for one count that against you because it was intended to directly nerf PvP conflict in highsec, and that's what it did. There is no "sandbox mechanic" in play with the many, many unreasonable buffs to highsec safety.

And you're sitting here crying about the Bowhead? You've chosen that rock to die on? You two are ridiculous.

I was more referring to the sandbox ability to shed player corps to dec dodge, something marmite and CODE monkeys have a track record of hating. And yes, you and fayd both hate that ability.
Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#864 - 2015-06-07 02:47:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Lucas Kell wrote:
Scipio Artelius wrote:
So if you look at the reasons something was introduced into the game by CCP and stick to their reasons, then there is no way you can sustain an argument that the bowhead was introduced as a buff to pvp. It wasn't and nowhere has CCP stated that as a reason.
See above. Why it was claimed to be introduces is irrelevant, the effect is what is measured. If we're only to go by what CCP claimed the change was for, then there's probably very few high sec safety buffs either, since I don't remember many times where CCP have stated that as the aim of a change.

It wasn't introduced as a buff to pvp. Full stop.

That it has any affect at all is because of smart use by players, not an inherent quality of the change. Other players are free to invent smart ways to counter and totally neutralise its use.

By the same argument, the Nereus was a buff to pvp because players use it with a battle Nereus fit. That would be equally unsystainable argument since it clearly wasn't introduced as a buff to pvp.

If you look at Feyd's chart and the reasons each aspect was introduced, everyone one of them was verifiably introduced as a nerf to aggressors and/or buff to aggressed characters, in CCPs own words:

Concord response times reduced
Devblog link

"CONCORD has some issues, mostly that pilots are killed long before CONCORD arrives. We have decreased the response time, meaning they will arrive quicker, and we should see a more helpful CONCORD aiding those in need.

We also changed the functionality and reduced the spawn. CONCORD now spawns in groups of 3 ships: 2 frigate sized vessels, which will lock the aggressor down in place, and a heavy hitting battleship to reduce his or her ship to metal scraps. The frigates will lock almost instantly while the battleship takes longer to lock, and the aggressor is made more aware of his or her impending doom."

"
Nerf or buff? Nerf to the aggressor and greater odds of survival for the player being ganked.

Security Status Penalties
(same devblog as above link)

"Through our research, we discovered that the balance between gaining standing and losing it was not in line with our intentions. It is too easy to gain back lost standing, taking only a few days to erase all the damage done by ganking. This is about to change.

We are increasing the security penalties throughout high-security space."

Nerf or buff? Nerf to the aggressor

Insurance removed from gankers
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=320187#post320187

"We took the insurance out because having it was silly... It won't stop suicide ganking, it just fixes something we haven't really felt made sense for a long time."

Exhumers base EHP Buff
http://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/72890

"Resilience: another point is to give some of them proper EHP not to be one-shot by anything that even remotely sneezes on them."

combined with the thread on the subject:
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1698538#post1698538

"Suicide ganking wasn't designed to be profitable, it's meant to be an option that let's you punish someone else at your expense. The money you paid for a ship to gank with compared to the money lost by your target was completely off and this change should bring that to a better spot."

Resulting in significant increase in base values:
http://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/ship-balancing-mining-barges/

This post is getting long already, but I can keep going with the relevant CCP statements that relate to the introduction of something being specifically related to its impact on combat.

There is no equivalent statement for the bowhead. It was not introduced by CCP as a buff to PvP and it's no more a buff to PvP than it is a buff to PvE. It was a totally neutral introduction in relation to combat.

I'm happy to change my mind, but only where there is verifiable evidence that it was introduced as a buff to pvp.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#865 - 2015-06-07 03:17:22 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
This is why the world Is screwed up you know. I mean that seriously, the real world, not about any game.

Otherwise intelligent people use that intelligence not to pursue the truth of a situation, but to try to make the world 'fit' into their preconceived and comfortable notions. I mean you don't have a single shred of analyzable proof about what you believe (that high sec is somehow less safe in this time of unprecedented mechanical safety). But you still believe it enough to post is, and defend it when challenged.

That's why I got out of the habit of responding to you. You can't overcome your own pridefulness for the small amount of time it would take to ask the question "what is true here", and ultimately that's a personal problem. Don't let anything anyone says stop you from participating in yet another threadnaught of just you against a bunch of other people that goes on for weeks.
Lol? So I state 2 verifiable changes which buffed ganking and wardecs respectively and gave a pretty clear explanation of why I believe that highsec safety has decreased since I joined, and that's me not pursuing the truth? There's verifiable evidence that buffs have been made to both sides of the highsec safety mechanics, and yet I get multiple people repeatedly attacking me because I refuse to just agree with them that there have been only buffs to safety.

Look, it's really quite simple. We both have opinions and they differ. Why is it such a huge issue for people to not agree? You repeatedly attack me in these threads, and act like your opinions are pure fact while mine are obviously wrong and that I must be somehow damaged to dare disagree with you, then you have the nerve to suggest that's an issue on my part? Roll

Wait a year. Bookmark this post, and view it in 2016. Then, away from your anger and pride you will be able to se how silly you look here.

Nothing is true because I say it is, it's true (or not) on it's own merits. As a rationalizer, you'll never be able to see that. No big deal, you're just one person out of billions, but I'd think you want to improve, the learn from your mistakes and thus be better able to contribute, because as it is now you are just arguing with people for the pure sake of argument. I mean, unless you have mental health issues, you have to realize that this constant situation you find yourself in (becoming the lone arguer about some unimportant point) simply isn't helpful or healthy, to you if no one else.

Good luck man, seems like you need it.
Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#866 - 2015-06-07 05:37:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Lucas Kell wrote:
...One I do remember and can find quickly is this one, but there are other better example around somewhere. Not to mention of course the bowhead itself being a buff for gankers. For the most part the lists either get ignored or responded to with "Those don't count because I don't want them to count".

I'm happy to look at that list.

Some of it is a bit crazy with a cursory glance (eg. fitting options for freighters is a buff to pvp?), but I'll look at the available data (eg. EFT fits, etc.) and information from CCP and see anyway. Won't ignore it, it'll just take a little bit of time to go through what's available.
Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#867 - 2015-06-07 05:58:43 UTC

Scipio Artelius wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
...One I do remember and can find quickly is this one ...

Tippia already responded further down in the thread.

The person whom Lucas linked replied to Tippia's post with a one liner, calling her a troll.

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#868 - 2015-06-07 06:04:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Sibyyl wrote:

Scipio Artelius wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
...One I do remember and can find quickly is this one ...

Tippia already responded further down in the thread.

The person whom Lucas linked replied to Tippia's post with a one liner, calling her a troll.

Yeah I saw Tippia's response and the subsequent post too.

I'll just go and look for the evidence though, so it isn't simply my own opinion, but information that anyone can verify either way (buff or not).

For example, on the first statement (extremely overpowered Catalysts capable of pumping out dps beyond expected for their size and cost), in comparing it to other destroyers (ie. same size ships), the numbers aren't really showing that. But I don't expect anyone to take my word for it. I'll publish all the information and let anyone interested actually look at the numbers and verify it for themselves.
Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#869 - 2015-06-07 06:21:31 UTC

Lucas Kell wrote:
Well no, a buff is a change which improves a given task, regardless of whether it was designed to or not. As a more extreme example, if they created a dirt cheap ship (like 1m) capable out outputting 100k DPS with small guns so that burner mission runners could have a nice ship to deal a shockingly large amount of damage, it would also be used for ganking. To claim that ganking was not buffed by that change because it wasn't designed to improve ganking would be laughable, anyone could see that.

This is a classic example of making the data fit the premise. Through this reasoning, any butterfly wings flapping anywhere become ganking tsunamis. Did they buff nullsec anoms? Well Goons run Burn Jita, so with better anoms they could afford more ships for Burn Jita, and therefore it's a buff to ganking.

Freighter EHP getting buffed isn't emergent gameplay. It's a buff. The player is handed this bonus while not having done a single thing to earn it (except maybe whining). Someone using a Bowhead to provide ships to blap a freighter single-handed while on GCC, then providing CCP a cogent argument about why it should become EVE canon isn't a "buff". This is the unintended consequences of a large number of mechanics - how GCC works, sentry gun mechanics, safes, warping, CONCORD response times, and so on and so forth. Attributing the success of Hyperdunking to the Bowhead alone is a nice way of ignoring half the mechanics required for it to work.

Comparing a CCP implemented buff to player-driven emergent gameplay is apples and oranges. You're ignoring the major difference here: Hisec safety buffs are handed to players by CCP. Ganking advancements occur despite the changes in rules, and made canon purely through the efforts of players. If you want to disagree with me, I'd like you to find a single devblog entry where a game change is made explicitly to buff ganking. I can find you plenty of devblog entries listing changes to explicitly buff hisec safety.

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#870 - 2015-06-07 08:48:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Lucas Kell
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Then there's literally no point in furthering this discussion with you. If that's the only thing you take into account then emergent gameplay such as ganking, which CCP won't release a change with the intention of improving, by your definition will never be buffed, even though changes do make it significantly easier. In the same way though social corps are being added to aid people in making social contact, not in improving safety in highsec, so by your definition you've categorically proven that social corps are not a buff to highsec safety.

Sibyyl wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
This is a classic example of making the data fit the premise. Through this reasoning, any butterfly wings flapping anywhere become ganking tsunamis. Did they buff nullsec anoms? Well Goons run Burn Jita, so with better anoms they could afford more ships for Burn Jita, and therefore it's a buff to ganking.
No, it's a classic example of a buff to a gameplay style which was implemented for another reason. Quite simply, if they did what I said in that example and added tat 100k dps ship with the intention of it improving burner missions, would you class that as a buff to ganking? Scipio it seems would not, even though the result would mean that gankers could solo gank a freighter in a 1.0. The point there is that a buff doesn't need to state in the patch notes that the reason for it being added is to improve that that particular style, what matters is the effect.

Sibyyl wrote:
If you want to disagree with me, I'd like you to find a single devblog entry where a game change is made explicitly to buff ganking.
There won;t be one because it's emergent gameplay, not a gameplay style CCP directly supports. As far as I am aware CCP staff aren't even allowed to gank. I doubt we will see patches to directly affect it. That doesn't mean however that it doesn't receive favourable improvements from changes that CCP make, they simply don't add specific changes to improve it. Not to mention that ganking isn't the only form of highsec PvP, and there certain have been direct changes to buff wardec mechanics which once again are ignored.

At the end of the day you two are doing exactly what I described earlier. Whenever someone points out change which have decrease the safety in highsec, they never count because :reasons:. It's impossible to take you guys and people like Feyd seriously when you're so obviously biased and make wild claims like how there have been no changes to decrease safety like Feyds graph suggests.

All it all though, it's off topic and irrelevant. These social changes are coming so get over it.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Delt0r Garsk
Shits N Giggles
#871 - 2015-06-07 08:50:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Delt0r Garsk
So yea... Social corps? this thread seems to be completely hijacked to a highsec gank/wardec thread now. There are plenty of those threads out there... And i believe it is the same posters in many of them.

AKA the scientist.

Death and Glory!

Well fun is also good.

Oxide Ammar
#872 - 2015-06-07 09:02:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Oxide Ammar
I'll post it in the other thread better.

Lady Areola Fappington:  Solo PVP isn't dead!  You just need to make sure you have your booster, remote rep, cyno, and emergency Falcon alts logged in and ready before you do any solo PVPing.

Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#873 - 2015-06-07 09:20:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Lucas Kell wrote:
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Then there's literally no point in furthering this discussion with you.

I also said this:

Scipio Artelius wrote:
I'm happy to change my mind, but only where there is verifiable evidence that it was introduced as a buff to pvp.

I'm always open to change me opinion. Just show me how it is a buff in some verifiable way rather than just expect that I believe it because it is said.

Does it reduce the number of catalysts required to perform the gank?
Does it reduce the EHP of the freighter making it easier to gank?
Does it increase the damage output of the catalysts?
Does it delay the arrival of Concord?
Does it reduce the security standings hit of performing a GCC criminal act?
Does it make performing the gank easier?
Does it have any measurable effect on the pvp?

The answer to all of those things and more is no. It has absolutely no affect on the pvp. It's sole effect is to make it easier to deliver fitted ships to the grid, because transport is what it is for.

So that allows a minimum of 3 characters to perform the gank in a much longer time and with more effort for those characters, than a single fleet of gankers using the same ships would.

Fewer people, more time and more individual effort.

It's also trivially easy to counter.

How is that a buff to pvp?

Lucas Kell wrote:
If that's the only thing you take into account then emergent gameplay such as ganking, which CCP won't release a change with the intention of improving, by your definition will never be buffed, even though changes do make it significantly easier. In the same way though social corps are being added to aid people in making social contact, not in improving safety in highsec, so by your definition you've categorically proven that social corps are not a buff to highsec safety.

There are plenty of ways pvp can be buffed. I already acknowledged my view that the unlimited number of available wardecs for example was a buff to pvp. That's logical.

So I think you are totally misrepresenting my own view on that and I'm already looking at the list you linked and what information there is to support the view that each of those is a buff.

Just provide the reasoning, so it can be verified by anyone, because opinions mean nothing since we can all have totally different ones. Evidence to support an opinion is much more convincing.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#874 - 2015-06-07 09:42:41 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Then there's literally no point in furthering this discussion with you.
I also said this:
Scipio Artelius wrote:

I'm always open to change me opinion. Just show me how it is a buff in some verifiable way rather than just expect that I believe it because it is said.

Does it reduce the number of catalysts required to perform the gank?
Does it reduce the EHP of the freighter making it easier to gank?
Does it increase the damage output of the catalysts?
Does it delay the arrival of Concord?
Does it have any measurable effect on the pvp?

The answer to all of those things and more is no. It has absolutely no affect on the pvp. It's sole effect is to make it easier to deliver fitted ships to the grid, because transport is what it is for.
It makes it possible for one player to solo gank a freighter with a couple of alts, by allowing them to reship while still under a criminal timer. Freighter ganks generally require a larger umber of people coordinated at a single time. This removes that requirement.

Quite honestly I'm done arguing this. It's off topic, and clearly nothing anyone says will make a difference since you've already made up your mind. Obviously gankers just use bowheads because they are pretty or something and the fact that the enable a whole style of ganking which has been used quite effectively is irrelevant.

Scipio Artelius wrote:
There are plenty of ways pvp can be buffed. I already acknowledged my view that the unlimited number of available wardecs for example was a buff to pvp. That's logical.

So I think you are totally misrepresenting my own view on that and I'm already looking at the list you linked and what information there is to support the view that each of those is a buff.

Just provide the reasoning, so it can be verified by anyone, because opinions mean nothing since we can all have totally different ones. Evidence to support an opinion is much more convincing.
It can't be a buff to wardecs, they didn't state it was a buff to wardecs so it's obviously not. Seriously, you guys are obviously right, there's obviously been no buffs ever to conflict in highsec and obviously there have been milllions of buff to safety because buffs to safety happen even when they don't state them as such. The only conclusion is that CCP want EVE to be like WoW, so I guess that's it, let's get on with playing WoW in space. Thanks for making me understand the truth of the matter. *grabs pom poms* GO SPACE WOW GO! GO SPACE WOW GO!

Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#875 - 2015-06-07 09:53:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Lucas Kell wrote:
It can't be a buff to wardecs, they didn't state it was a buff to wardecs so it's obviously not.

Are you sure about that?

Quote:
Seriously, you guys are obviously right, there's obviously been no buffs ever to conflict in highsec and obviously there have been milllions of buff to safety because buffs to safety happen even when they don't state them as such.

Us guys who? I'm just one person. I've already acknowledged one thing that was an obvious buff. Happy to acknowledge others. Just show the evidence.

Just the same principle CCP used at Fanfest.

Quote:
The only conclusion is that CCP want EVE to be like WoW, so I guess that's it, let's get on with playing WoW in space. Thanks for making me understand the truth of the matter. *grabs pom poms* GO SPACE WOW GO! GO SPACE WOW GO!

Sorry what? Drop the emotion and approach it logically. There's nothing to support that statement in changes CCP have made to the game.

Space WOW is a long way from this discussion of the bowhead being a buff to pvp.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#876 - 2015-06-07 10:01:35 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Sorry what? Drop the emotion and approach is logically. There's nothing to support that statement in changes CCP have made to the game.

Space WOW is a long way from this discussion of the bowhead being a buff to pvp.
There's no emotion about it, you've just convinced me, that's all. Feyd has been going on about how there are only buffs to safety, none to conflict. I've seen changes which boost conflict and have been mistakenly believing those to be buffs to conflict (stupid me, thinking that mechanics that improve a playstyle are buffs to that playstyle Roll) but obviously I was wrong, and you've convinced me of that. The only explanation is that CCP dont; support conflict and only support safety, making this space WoW. That leaves 2 choices:
1. Complain about the game we play while CCP removes all conflict.
2. Accept the fate of EVE and support the removal of all conflct.

Thanks to your guidance I am now able to accept EVE for what it obviously is, space WoW.

Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#877 - 2015-06-07 10:03:34 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
There's no emotion about it, you've just convinced me, that's all. Feyd has been going on about how there are only buffs to safety, none to conflict. I've seen changes which boost conflict and have been mistakenly believing those to be buffs to conflict (stupid me, thinking that mechanics that improve a playstyle are buffs to that playstyle Roll) but obviously I was wrong, and you've convinced me of that. The only explanation is that CCP dont; support conflict and only support safety, making this space WoW. That leaves 2 choices:
1. Complain about the game we play while CCP removes all conflict.
2. Accept the fate of EVE and support the removal of all conflct.

Thanks to your guidance I am now able to accept EVE for what it obviously is, space WoW.

Maybe we should start playing poker for ISK. You appear to be on tilt at the moment.
Delt0r Garsk
Shits N Giggles
#878 - 2015-06-07 10:07:11 UTC
And WTF does the bowhead have to do with social corps?

AKA the scientist.

Death and Glory!

Well fun is also good.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#879 - 2015-06-07 10:09:45 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Maybe we should start playing poker for ISK. You appear to be on tilt at the moment.
No thanks, I'm far too busy getting used to the truth of EVE. My eyes have been opened. I've gotta get rid of all my PvP ships and modules before CCP remove them.

I'm quite surprised you're not happier that you've convinced me.

Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#880 - 2015-06-07 10:12:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Delt0r Garsk wrote:
And WTF does the bowhead have to do with social corps?

We're on page 44 of this thread. It's been on and off topic many times as any thread in GD that goes beyond a few pages long often does.

I've already reported my own posts as off topic, so an ISD can come along and clean it up however they like. This current discussion of the bowhead, (there have been many since it's introduction, began a couple of pages ago on page 42 with this post:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=5801085#post5801085