These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Social Corps

First post First post
Author
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#841 - 2015-06-07 00:28:09 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
For the most part the lists either get ignored or responded to with "Those don't count because I don't want them to count".

Oh, the irony.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#842 - 2015-06-07 00:34:25 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
and forceing more noobies to be shot won't incentivie conflict, it just drives easy kills for people like you.
Still with the strawman. I guess you don't have anything left, given that your narrative is in shreds by now.

Do you carebears ever get any new lines, or have they not updated your playbook lately? CCP has invalidated that bullshit by now. Turns out, even if newbies just get blapped by the likes of me, or Marmite, or Forsaken, or whomever...

They are STILL more likely to resub than people who chew on rocks all day.

So even if you stick out your lower lip and pout about the "girefers" being allowed to shoot at more people, it's still better for the game in the long run than what you parasites want.
My narrative remains the same, you've said literally nothing which changes a damn thing, and since you seem to be repeatedly attacking me rather than responding like an adult, tht's not likely to change any time soon. You've not proven anything beyond the fact that you've got a bug up your ass about people who don't want to be shot all the time in highsec.

By the way, your comprehension skills need work. While CCP have not invalidated "that bullshit" at all, the quote you've put of mine above states absolutely nothing about retention. You want people to be force into combat. The players who are forced will more often that not be noobies as far as pew pew is concerned. They won't be incentivised into shooting stuff just because they are now being shot all day since that's not what they want to do. Get it though your head. This is a sandbox and playstyles other than your own are valid, including those who want to chew on rocks all day. That's the way it is and always will be.

The Indecisive Noob - EVE fan blog.

Wholesale Trading - The new bulk trading mailing list.

Pops Tickle
Tickle Industries
#843 - 2015-06-07 00:34:58 UTC
CCP Rise wrote:
We have tried and tried to validate the myth that griefing has a pronounced affect on new players - we have failed. The strongest indicators for a new player staying with EVE are associated with social activity: joining corps, using market and contract systems, pvping, etc. Isolating players away from the actual sandbox seems very contrary to what we would like to

a) There is no griefing happening. This includes "wardec griefing".
b) Whatever brings players together has a positive impact on their experience.

What I get from this:

1) People join the game, because they can be killed everywhere.
2) More safety = less player interaction = bad.
3) This thread should be locked for "lack of constructive posting".

CCP Rise wrote:

"We have tried and tried to validate the myth that griefing has a pronounced affect on new players - we have failed."

Source

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#844 - 2015-06-07 00:37:23 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
For the most part the lists either get ignored or responded to with "Those don't count because I don't want them to count".
Oh, the irony.
I'm not sure you understand what that actually means, since there's nothing ironic about that. I assume what you are trying to suggest is that I have said that. If you actually read through though you'll see that I don't at all state that any of the buffs Feyd has listed don't count, I've simply stated that it's an incomplete and cherry-picked list, and that's true whether you're willing to admit it or not.

Pops Tickle
Tickle Industries
#845 - 2015-06-07 00:42:22 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
. . . attacking me rather than responding like an adult . . .
Objection!

Lucas Kell wrote:
. . . forceing more noobies to be shot won't incentivie conflict, it just drives easy kills for people like you . . .

CCP Rise wrote:

"We have tried and tried to validate the myth that griefing has a pronounced affect on new players - we have failed."

Source

Omar Alharazaad
New Eden Tech Support
#846 - 2015-06-07 00:43:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Omar Alharazaad
You two should totally have a Thunderdome brawl to resolve this point of contention.
I don't believe discussion will work, but perhaps drones, blasters, missiles, and lasers will?

Also, the roar of the crowds, the adoring fans... the frozen corpses of those who try to interfere, and of course all of the betting would be pretty awesome too.

Come hell or high water, this sick world will know I was here.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#847 - 2015-06-07 00:44:18 UTC
Pops Tickle wrote:
CCP Rise wrote:
We have tried and tried to validate the myth that griefing has a pronounced affect on new players - we have failed. The strongest indicators for a new player staying with EVE are associated with social activity: joining corps, using market and contract systems, pvping, etc. Isolating players away from the actual sandbox seems very contrary to what we would like to

What I get from this:

Then your reading skills need work. 1) is just like, what? People don't join the game because they can be killed anywhere, people join the game for a multitude of reasons and to play in a way they find entertaining.

It also states right in there methods of interaction which require no shooting, so your 2) should really just read "less player interaction = bad" since safety is an irrelevant factor there.

as for 3), this thread is about adding more ways for players to interact, and there's been plenty of constructive posts from both sides, just certain players want to turn it into "Grr NPC corps".

Oh, and side note. If you read what CCP Rise wrote and the presentation it came from, they are referring to players being shot in highsec early in their time in EVE, and they actually call it griefing, so obviously it does exist. Certain types of griefing are simply allowed within EVE (which is fine, it's a big part of the game).

Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#848 - 2015-06-07 00:44:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Lucas Kell wrote:
Not to mention of course the bowhead itself being a buff for gankers. For the most part the lists either get ignored or responded to with "Those don't count because I don't want them to count".

Bowhead was not a buff or nerf to anything other than moving fitted ships around.

That some gankers have found a use for it doesn't make it a buff to pvp and if you would try to make the argument that it was introduced as a buff to pvp, that is not a sustainable argument. It doesn't compare on any level with reduced Concord response times for example.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#849 - 2015-06-07 00:48:47 UTC
Pops Tickle wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Objection!

Lucas Kell wrote:
. . . forceing more noobies to be shot won't incentivie conflict, it just drives easy kills for people like you . . .
That's one of the pieces of my posts that can least be construed as attacking, there's plenty of better examples. What that is stating is just that when you have players like Kaarous (ie, highsec gankers) campaigning for people to lose measures of safety, it's pretty obvious that what they want is people who would otherwise avoid combat to be forced into it, and that won't make those people want to avoid combat less. Does that clarify it a little?

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#850 - 2015-06-07 00:54:11 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Not to mention of course the bowhead itself being a buff for gankers. For the most part the lists either get ignored or responded to with "Those don't count because I don't want them to count".

Bowhead was not a buff or nerf to anything other than moving fitted ships around.

That some gankers have found a use for it doesn't make it a buff to pvp and if you would try to make the argument that it was introduced as a buff to pvp, that is not a sustainable argument. It doesn't compare on any level with reduced Concord response times for example.

You can call it what it is, Scipio.

Grasping at straws. He knows full well, if he actually bothered to look that is, that their "buffs" don't even weigh up to one of the many, many nerfs to conflict in highsec.

He's just dedicated his life to being obtuse, it seems.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Pops Tickle
Tickle Industries
#851 - 2015-06-07 00:55:55 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Pops Tickle wrote:
CCP Rise wrote:

What I get from this:

Then your reading skills need work. 1) is just like, what? People don't join the game because they can be killed anywhere, people join the game for a multitude of reasons and to play in a way they find entertaining.

It also states right in there methods of interaction which require no shooting, so your 2) should really just read "less player interaction = bad" since safety is an irrelevant factor there.

as for 3), this thread is about adding more ways for players to interact, and there's been plenty of constructive posts from both sides, just certain players want to turn it into "Grr NPC corps".

Oh, and side note. If you read what CCP Rise wrote and the presentation it came from, they are referring to players being shot in highsec early in their time in EVE, and they actually call it griefing, so obviously it does exist. Certain types of griefing are simply allowed within EVE (which is fine, it's a big part of the game).

My reading skills are fine. My writing skills as much.
I will not dignify your lack of decency with a response.

Lucas Kell wrote:

You are guilty by your own standards.

CCP Rise wrote:

Source

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#852 - 2015-06-07 01:00:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Lucas Kell
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:

So while it obviously has been used for more efficient ganking, because it's not specifically designed for that, it doesn't count? That could be said about most mechanics. See, it's exactly this that happens every single time the arguments are made. Any and all changes which even remotely affected a miner or a missioner are counted as a buff for safety, yet a mechanic which is actively used by gankers to help them gank more effectively doesn't count against that because it's just for moving ships about.

I suppose with the wardec changes were a change to the price of wars, regardless of the fact that there are now multiple corps with several hundred active wardecs (which was not possible before those changes) it doesn't count as a buff either, because the intention wasn't to allow mass wardeccing.

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#853 - 2015-06-07 01:03:10 UTC
Pops Tickle wrote:
I accept your concession of defeat.

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#854 - 2015-06-07 01:03:25 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Sibyyl wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Except it's not, since it's only your opinion that highsec has gotten safer. People like you and Feyd spew all this rubbish about highsec, actively refusing the acknowledge all of the buffs you've received and stating that because you've disregarded those buffs that there must be a net gain to safety. When I started, I didn't have to worry about half the stuff people now have to look out for every time they do anything in highsec. It's not safer now, the sources of risk are simply more varied and significantly more common.
"Except it's not" and "rubbish" are fine things to say I guess, but none of it makes a cogent argument. I haven't seen you post a crisp list of "buffs" in opposition to the list Feyd has provided. Until you do, it seems like all you have to wave around is your opinion.

What you have to personally worry about, and the things you see when looking around are anecdotes. The plural of anecdotes is not fact.
Multiple have been listed in this very thread! Not least of which there's the orca fleet hangar changes which prevented them from having an unscannable no-drop bay and the war changes which meant that corps can dec hundreds of corps at a time. Feyd has posted his list multiple times over the last few months and people have repeatedly posted lists of buffs to pvpers and nerfs to safety. It's not my fault if he, his ilk and now supposedly you choose to filter out hundreds of posts.

As for the anecdotes, they are still valid. Beyond mechanical changes, there are behavioural changes which have to be included. As games progress people refine how they play and find better ways to do things which alter the balance of existing mechanics. That's why things like drone assist mechanics which were fine for a very long time were changed, because people found more effective ways to use them to attack other players. In the same way, as time has progressed, more effective ways have been found to use less assets and effort to attack players in highsec, so even if no mechanics were changed, there level of safety has gradually decreased as the effectiveness of the techniques has increased. Of course that does work both ways, it's just tended towards favouring aggressors.

All of that aside, high sec is supposed to be safer than any other area of space. How people can actively refuse to leave highsec yet whine about safety is beyond me. It's like going to a swimming pool and complaining that it's wet.

This is why the world Is screwed up you know. I mean that seriously, the real world, not about any game.

Otherwise intelligent people use that intelligence not to pursue the truth of a situation, but to try to make the world 'fit' into their preconceived and comfortable notions. I mean you don't have a single shred of analyzable proof about what you believe (that high sec is somehow less safe in this time of unprecedented mechanical safety). But you still believe it enough to post is, and defend it when challenged.

That's why I got out of the habit of responding to you. You can't overcome your own pridefulness for the small amount of time it would take to ask the question "what is true here", and ultimately that's a personal problem. Don't let anything anyone says stop you from participating in yet another threadnaught of just you against a bunch of other people that goes on for weeks.
Pops Tickle
Tickle Industries
#855 - 2015-06-07 01:11:42 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Pops Tickle wrote:

Great men are recognised for their actions and achievements, not their words.

Small men declare themselves winners.

Good day, Mr. Kell.

CCP Rise wrote:

Source

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#856 - 2015-06-07 01:15:52 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
This is why the world Is screwed up you know. I mean that seriously, the real world, not about any game.

Otherwise intelligent people use that intelligence not to pursue the truth of a situation, but to try to make the world 'fit' into their preconceived and comfortable notions. I mean you don't have a single shred of analyzable proof about what you believe (that high sec is somehow less safe in this time of unprecedented mechanical safety). But you still believe it enough to post is, and defend it when challenged.

That's why I got out of the habit of responding to you. You can't overcome your own pridefulness for the small amount of time it would take to ask the question "what is true here", and ultimately that's a personal problem. Don't let anything anyone says stop you from participating in yet another threadnaught of just you against a bunch of other people that goes on for weeks.
Lol? So I state 2 verifiable changes which buffed ganking and wardecs respectively and gave a pretty clear explanation of why I believe that highsec safety has decreased since I joined, and that's me not pursuing the truth? There's verifiable evidence that buffs have been made to both sides of the highsec safety mechanics, and yet I get multiple people repeatedly attacking me because I refuse to just agree with them that there have been only buffs to safety.

Look, it's really quite simple. We both have opinions and they differ. Why is it such a huge issue for people to not agree? You repeatedly attack me in these threads, and act like your opinions are pure fact while mine are obviously wrong and that I must be somehow damaged to dare disagree with you, then you have the nerve to suggest that's an issue on my part? Roll

Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#857 - 2015-06-07 01:17:36 UTC
Pops Tickle wrote:
Lucas Kell wrote:
Pops Tickle wrote:
Great men are recognised for their actions and achievements, not their words.

Small men declare themselves winners.

Good day, Mr. Kell.
Winners also declare themselves winners, usually when they win. Good day.

Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#858 - 2015-06-07 01:30:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Sibyyl
Lucas, I'll respond to your larger point later. I wanted to scour this thread for gank nerf counterpoints (as you suggested) before I do.

Lucas Kell wrote:
Not to mention of course the bowhead itself being a buff for gankers.

So while it obviously has been used for more efficient ganking, because it's not specifically designed for that, it doesn't count?

.. yet a mechanic which is actively used by gankers to help them gank more effectively doesn't count against that because it's just for moving ships about.

Your comparison doesn't make any sense. Nobody is forced to use a Bowhead and there has been no significant change in the EVE Market with the introduction of the Bowhead.. so life can go on without this ship. It is not essential in any way.

A buff, by definition, is an asymmetric change to mechanic to favor one side over the other. The Bowhead is created to fill a PVE need (see below), it is capable of being ganked. Looks like neither a buff or a nerf to me.

Jack Carrigan, the creator of the Bowhead, had this to say about the problem the ship was trying to solve:
Quote:
Too long have people been complaining in reference to the inability to haul fitted/rigged vessels, to which the response was always "get an Orca." The inherent problem here, was that the Orca was severely limited in size of vessels which would be transported, as it was only designed to carry a couple of mining barges.

CCP Fozzie after they accepted Jack's idea into EVE canon:
CCP Fozzie wrote:
... another new ship, codename “Tug” which will be a Freighter sized ship with a large Ship bay for moving around multiple fitted battleships . This ship will probably become very popular with Incursion runners.

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#859 - 2015-06-07 01:36:10 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
So while it obviously has been used for more efficient ganking, because it's not specifically designed for that, it doesn't count? That could be said about most mechanics. See, it's exactly this that happens every single time the arguments are made. Any and all changes which even remotely affected a miner or a missioner are counted as a buff for safety, yet a mechanic which is actively used by gankers to help them gank more effectively doesn't count against that because it's just for moving ships about.

I suppose with the wardec changes were a change to the price of wars, regardless of the fact that there are now multiple corps with several hundred active wardecs (which was not possible before those changes) it doesn't count as a buff either, because the intention wasn't to allow mass wardeccing.

It's been used for more efficient transport of fitted ships and that's what the bowhead was introduced for.

It wasn't introduced as a buff or nerf to pvp.

Wardec changes = buff to highsec pvp (I have no problem with classifying it as such)

So if you look at the reasons something was introduced into the game by CCP and stick to their reasons, then there is no way you can sustain an argument that the bowhead was introduced as a buff to pvp. It wasn't and nowhere has CCP stated that as a reason.

That's the most verifiable way to classify things if we are going to pigeon hole them.

Bowhead =/= pvp buff. It wasn't a buff to combat (PvE or PvP) of any sort. It was a buff to transport.
Lucas Kell
Solitude Trading
S.N.O.T.
#860 - 2015-06-07 01:54:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Lucas Kell
Sibyyl wrote:
A buff, by definition, is an asymmetric change to mechanic to favor one side over the other. The Bowhead is created to fill a PVE need (see below), it is capable of being ganked. Looks like neither a buff or a nerf to me.
Well no, a buff is a change which improves a given task, regardless of whether it was designed to or not. As a more extreme example, if they created a dirt cheap ship (like 1m) capable out outputting 100k DPS with small guns so that burner mission runners could have a nice ship to deal a shockingly large amount of damage, it would also be used for ganking. To claim that ganking was not buffed by that change because it wasn't designed to improve ganking would be laughable, anyone could see that.

This is the problem I have with this. Anything which even remotely improves highsec safety, no matter what the mechanic is or how passively it does it is claimed to be a highsec safety buff, yet mechanics which are actively used by gankers to be more efficient are dismissed.

Scipio Artelius wrote:
So if you look at the reasons something was introduced into the game by CCP and stick to their reasons, then there is no way you can sustain an argument that the bowhead was introduced as a buff to pvp. It wasn't and nowhere has CCP stated that as a reason.
See above. Why it was claimed to be introduces is irrelevant, the effect is what is measured. If we're only to go by what CCP claimed the change was for, then there's probably very few high sec safety buffs either, since I don't remember many times where CCP have stated that as the aim of a change.