These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Opportunities vs achievements

Author
Alessienne Ellecon
Doomheim
#1 - 2015-06-04 14:49:57 UTC
Sorry, CCP, but this needs to be said: the opportunities system is stupid. Granted, the starter tutorial was pretty annoying, but its replacement isn't all that better. It's just... doing a bunch of stuff. No rewards, no perks, no opening hidden missions, nothing. Now, if there was an achievement or trophy system, that would put a bit more spark into the game and give carebears something with which to challenge themselves. Some example achievements I thought of:

Worker Bee
Mine 100000m3 of ore in a Venture.

Speed Freak
Achieve a sublight speed of over 2000m/s.

Sticky Fingers
Steal from an owned jetcan without being shot.

Holey Diver
Explore 10 wormhole systems.

The Road Less Travelled
Visit the Solitude region.

Eggsplosion
Destroy a capsuleer's pod.

Blood On The Ice
Destroy an ice miner.

The Long Arm Of CONCORD
Pod a player with a bounty of over 2mil.

No Sell
Report 10 ISK spammers

The Little Ship That Could
Destroy a frigate or larger ship using a Velator, Reaper, Ibis or Impairor

"CONCORD are the space cops. If you attack someone in a high-security solar system, CONCORD will commit police brutality." - Encyclopedia Dramatica

If EVE is a PvP game, then Anti-Ganking is emergent gameplay.

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#2 - 2015-06-04 15:01:12 UTC
They're demonstrably less stupid than the tutorials they replaced.
stoicfaux
#3 - 2015-06-04 15:01:34 UTC
The opportunities system is there to help folks realize what it is possible to do in the game and to provide some basic training/understanding in the process.

Achievements are about grinding to meet some arbitrary goal of dubious value. In EVE we call those "Masteries."

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#4 - 2015-06-04 15:03:21 UTC
stoicfaux wrote:
The opportunities system is there to help folks realize what it is possible to do in the game and to provide some basic training/understanding in the process.

Achievements are about grinding to meet some arbitrary goal of dubious value. In EVE we call those "Masteries."

I thought it was "spouse"
Zoe Athame
Don't Lose Your Way
#5 - 2015-06-04 15:03:45 UTC
Alessienne Ellecon wrote:
It's just... doing a bunch of stuff. No rewards, no perks, no opening hidden missions, nothing

That's the point.

Playing EVE is "just doing a bunch of stuff." They don't want to set false expectations. People used to finish the tutorial and then unsub when they couldn't find the next quest.
Omar Alharazaad
New Eden Tech Support
#6 - 2015-06-04 15:04:34 UTC
anything less than 9000 m/s is not noteworthy.
Don't talk like that about Holey's hand.
Destroying a battleship with a noobship or frigate is noteworthy. Anything less fails to tickle my naughty bits.

The opportunities aren't there as achievements, they are supposed to be mileposts to figuring out just what the heck you are doing. You have to set your own achievements.
o/

Come hell or high water, this sick world will know I was here.

Agondray
Avenger Mercenaries
Space Brutality
#7 - 2015-06-04 15:07:26 UTC
lol those achivements

to encourage more ganking and turn a region in to what will be a slaughterfest

"Sarcasm is the Recourse of a weak mind." -Dr. Smith

Avaelica Kuershin
Paper Cats
#8 - 2015-06-04 15:10:02 UTC
Got one for the op

Dazed and Confused: Fail to warp one's pod while suspect, and having implants plugged in. ^_^
Yarda Black
The Black Redemption
#9 - 2015-06-04 15:12:42 UTC
I really want to be harsh and unforgiving about "achievements" because I'm all about: "Here's a ship, GL!"

But its a decent post. So I'll give a decent reply:

No
stoicfaux
#10 - 2015-06-04 15:16:41 UTC  |  Edited by: stoicfaux
Omar Alharazaad wrote:

The opportunities aren't there as achievements, they are supposed to be mileposts to figuring out just what the heck you are doing. You have to set your own achievements.
o/

Doh! Excellent point! Players decide what is an achievement in EVE via player created Medals. Here are EVE Uni's medals.

So to the OP, we already have achievements in EVE, but they're player created achievements. Your peers/friends/frenemies grant achievements, not CCP.

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

stoicfaux
#11 - 2015-06-04 15:21:24 UTC
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
stoicfaux wrote:

I thought it was "spouse"

Good News: Your spouse plays EVE! Congrats!
Bad News: Your spouse now knows what a douche-bag you can be when you let your dark side free.

Omar Alharazaad
New Eden Tech Support
#12 - 2015-06-04 15:30:11 UTC
Worse News. Your spouse is now running locator agents on you and has fitted a gank ship JUST FOR YOU.
Time to do the laundry/dishes/spouse maybe?

Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#13 - 2015-06-04 15:36:58 UTC
How about CCP just sends you a Participation Trophy just for subbing?

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Omar Alharazaad
New Eden Tech Support
#14 - 2015-06-04 15:37:51 UTC
MOAR reasons why I'm single...
Well, that and the fact that the number of females who aren't outright desperate that will put up with my bullshit are pretty well limited on this earth.

Omar Alharazaad
New Eden Tech Support
#15 - 2015-06-04 15:39:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Omar Alharazaad
Unsuccessful At Everything wrote:

No. And, no. Did I mention no? Oh yeah, and um... no.
In case you missed it, no.
o.O

You know better than this.

Edit: And in further news, UaE is now officially awake.

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#16 - 2015-06-04 15:43:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Omar Alharazaad wrote:
Well, that and the fact that the number of females who aren't outright desperate that will put up with my bullshit are pretty well limited on this earth.
Not to mention that you have the likes of me competing with you for those that are desperate and will put up with our crap.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#17 - 2015-06-04 15:45:38 UTC
Omar Alharazaad wrote:
Unsuccessful At Everything wrote:

No. And, no. Did I mention no? Oh yeah, and um... no.
In case you missed it, no.
o.O

You know better than this.

How about I sweeten the pot by providing cheap sugary drink pouches and presliced orange wedges after every Eve session, and when someone unsubs, we can send them a coupon for a free personal pan pizza from a mediocre US pizza chain?

Quote:
Edit: And in further news, UaE is now officially awake.

Its nearing lunchtime.. serious work has been completed.. and I sensed a disturbance in the forum force.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Omar Alharazaad
New Eden Tech Support
#18 - 2015-06-04 15:46:29 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Omar Alharazaad wrote:
Not to mention that you have the likes of me competing with you for those that are desperate and will put up with our crap.

Yeah, well... at least you're a couple thousand miles away from me. That increases my odds in the local area exponentially.
If you come over to 'Murika I'm gonna have a problem tho.

Omar Alharazaad
New Eden Tech Support
#19 - 2015-06-04 15:50:25 UTC
I kept clicking the like button until it broke.
Nobody should be subjected to mediocre pizza.
I think we might be able to make some ISK off of counterfeit pizza coupons though. Mail me in game and we'll set things up so we can get our trillions back, 'murika!

Rain6637
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#20 - 2015-06-04 15:50:26 UTC
I've suggested calling them achievements for the sake of recognition.

For rewards, I think they could generate medals to be displayed in character info. That's hardly used anyway, it could use the action.
12Next page