These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Automatic recording of EVE gameplay

Author
Kaleesa
Pathogen Inc.
#1 - 2015-05-29 18:22:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Kaleesa
Have you ever had an epic fight in EVE and wished you had software to record it?

Or Have you had Fraps or some other video capture software loaded and just forgot to start it?

What I propose is a feature be implemented into the EVE Online client which will automatically record your gameplay.

The feature would potentially include such things as:

1) Automatic recording of a pre-set time of EVE gameplay

• The feature would automatically record the last 15 - 30 mins of your game play if the feature is activated
  • Resolution and sound options are changeable to accommodate smaller hard drives
  • option to disable this feature for people worried about performance decreases or HD space

2) An option to save this gameplay at any time to a video file for editing or uploading
3) Possibly a CCP made video editing suite and an EVE video sharing website (Could be an entirely new feature on it's own)

This type of feature is not new, Playstation 4 (and possibly Xbox one) has this built directly into the hardware, with a share button on the controller to access the feature, here is a short article on how that currently works PS4 Capture

NVidia also has a software suite called Shadowplay, CCP could incorporate that into the client as they did with Twitch streaming, read about it here: http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/shadowplay

Currently there are only a few people making videos for eve online and posting them here on the forums. With this feature we could open this type of medium up to a whole new group and help those who forget to hit the record button (me).
Kaleesa
Pathogen Inc.
#2 - 2015-05-29 18:22:52 UTC
reserved
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#3 - 2015-05-29 18:29:05 UTC
How about nope.
Such a feature is both processor and disk heavy, and free programs are available to do this already.
Adding more cruft to the basic client, especially when some people need multiple installs to prevent their potato overwriting their character's settings on each other, is a bad plan.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Making battleships worth the warp

Kaleesa
Pathogen Inc.
#4 - 2015-05-29 18:31:13 UTC
James Baboli wrote:
How about nope.
Such a feature is both processor and disk heavy, and free programs are available to do this already.
Adding more cruft to the basic client, especially when some people need multiple installs to prevent their potato overwriting their character's settings on each other, is a bad plan.

The feature could be activate or disabled, so disk heavy isn't really an issue here for the people with the horsepower to run it. Also on Playstation 4 this operates seamlessly with no loss of performance. 3rd party software isn't very good.
Marsha Mallow
#5 - 2015-05-29 18:31:16 UTC
Supported.

Might be a nice way to encourage people to post player vids on a central eve site too.

The twitch feature is OK, but it's not ideal for those who don't like streaming or prefer to edit their vids, and there's a bit of a technical entry barrier to the latter that could be lowered.

Ripard Teg > For the morons in the room:

Sweets > U can dd my face any day

James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#6 - 2015-05-29 18:41:29 UTC
Kaleesa wrote:
James Baboli wrote:
How about nope.

The feature could be activate or disabled, so disk heavy isn't really an issue here for the people with the horsepower to run it. Also on Playstation 4 this operates seamlessly with no loss of performance. 3rd party software isn't very good.

And eve still has people playing on potatos.
A recording function, even disabled, is still more disk taken up by the client, and some people need one installation of the client per character due to it not playing nice with some security software or out-dated operating systems or non-standard environments like some versions of WINE, with more niche use code (like the jukebox) for which exists perfectly good, free, third party software which does exactly what you ask.

There is no need for this feature. It adds nothing to the game itself, and comparing a PS4 (which retails for upwards of $350, and is a single purpose dedicated peice of hardware, on which sony takes a loss for each console unit sold) to some of the laptops which people are stuck with, and saying that because X piece of shiny new hardware with dedicated chipsets for most functions does not have performance issues, this can't cause performance issues for anyone, nor is the disk space and download size requirements of anything added to the client an issue is disingenuous, and ignorant at best.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Kaleesa
Pathogen Inc.
#7 - 2015-05-29 18:43:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Kaleesa
James Baboli wrote:
Kaleesa wrote:
James Baboli wrote:
How about nope.

A recording function, even disabled, is still more disk taken up by the client, and some people need one installation of the client per character due to it not playing nice with some security software or out-dated operating systems or non-standard environments like some versions of WINE, with more niche use code (like the jukebox) for which exists perfectly good, free, third party software which does exactly what you ask.

There is no need for this feature. It adds nothing to the game itself, and comparing a PS4 (which retails for upwards of $350, and is a single purpose dedicated peice of hardware, on which sony takes a loss for each console unit sold) to some of the laptops which people are stuck with, and saying that because X piece of shiny new hardware with dedicated chipsets for most functions does not have performance issues, this can't cause performance issues for anyone, nor is the disk space and download size requirements of anything added to the client an issue is disingenuous, and ignorant at best.

Noted, although I think your arguments are not really valid as the feature could be disabled for people such as yourself that obviously don't want it and thus would not affect you at all. Also the people who have one installation for each character and VERY VERY few, so i don't think any decision should be based on that. I run 4 accounts from the same installation with no problems, as do most of the people i know.
Paranoid Loyd
#8 - 2015-05-29 18:44:40 UTC
Ahem

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

Marsha Mallow
#9 - 2015-05-29 18:46:41 UTC
Paranoid Loyd wrote:

That's bizarre, we were literally just rambling about it ingame, hence the post Shocked

Cheers for the link

Kaleesa
Pathogen Inc.
#10 - 2015-05-29 18:47:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Kaleesa
Paranoid Loyd wrote:

What the?! that was posted just today? talk about coincidence.

Edit: after reading this it's not really the same as what I proposed, it make editing the video easier and that's a good thing, but isn't intended to make the capture of the video any easier than currently.
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#11 - 2015-05-29 20:05:11 UTC
Kaleesa wrote:

Noted, although I think your arguments are not really valid as the feature could be disabled for people such as yourself that obviously don't want it and thus would not affect you at all. Also the people who have one installation for each character and VERY VERY few, so i don't think any decision should be based on that. I run 4 accounts from the same installation with no problems, as do most of the people i know.

Everyone with a TQ and a singularity client who doesn't want to repatch them every time they switch has 2, and this is still the recommended way of getting on sisi.

At one point, I needed one per character, becuase of a conflict with one of the pieces of security software I run.

Also, still more disk space and doesn't help people on potatos, much less anyone running necrOS.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Marsha Mallow
#12 - 2015-05-29 21:28:40 UTC
James Baboli wrote:
Everyone with a TQ and a singularity client who doesn't want to repatch them every time they switch has 2, and this is still the recommended way of getting on sisi.

At one point, I needed one per character, becuase of a conflict with one of the pieces of security software I run.

Also, still more disk space and doesn't help people on potatos, much less anyone running necrOS.

Oh god yes, think of the Singularity users. All - what - 500 of them?

Whatever your issue is that is forcing you to run multiple installations is irrelevant, and likely a minority issue.

All he's asking for is the ability to quickly hit 'record' or keybind it ingame during a good fight so it can be used to make a player vid. It's not an unreasonable request. The fact that CCP are already looking at providing player tools to make this easier is a great step.

If you disagree, you should go inform Manifest in the thread linked above. I'm sure 'How about nope' will go down well.

Christopher Mabata
Northern Accounts and Systems
#13 - 2015-05-29 21:34:07 UTC
There are already free programs of this available virtually everywhere, not to mention the storage space required to maintain all of this is enormous. Besides we got twitch integration didn't we? do we need more?

♣ Small Gang PVP, Large Fleet PVP, Black Ops, Incursions, Trade, and Industry ♣ 70% Lethal / 30% Super-Snuggly / 110% No idea what im doing ♣

This Message Brought to you by a sweet and sour bittervet

Celthric Kanerian
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#14 - 2015-05-29 21:45:49 UTC
Kaleesa wrote:
Have you ever had an epic fight in EVE and wished you had software to record it?

No, but I did get smartbombed once by a bunch of battleships in lowsec, but same deal
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#15 - 2015-05-29 22:21:30 UTC
Marsha Mallow wrote:
James Baboli wrote:

Oh god yes, think of the Singularity users. All - what - 500 of them?

Whatever your issue is that is forcing you to run multiple installations is irrelevant, and likely a minority issue.

All he's asking for is the ability to quickly hit 'record' or keybind it ingame during a good fight so it can be used to make a player vid. It's not an unreasonable request. The fact that CCP are already looking at providing player tools to make this easier is a great step.

If you disagree, you should go inform Manifest in the thread linked above. I'm sure 'How about nope' will go down well.

Huge difference. I LIKE this as a stand alone feature set, or as a CCP released, allowed hook in from a second piece of software. My problem with this is purely with making it a required part of the client.

TL;DR: This != a video editing kit or any optional download.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Steppa Musana
Doomheim
#16 - 2015-05-30 22:51:47 UTC
James Baboli wrote:
Kaleesa wrote:
James Baboli wrote:
How about nope.

This reasoning is rubbish, sorry to say. Are you actually using increased disk space as the main argument against this? Adding anything to the game will increase disk space. Update your potato if you have a problem with that. What you want is for the game to stay stagnant so you don't have to be arsed to update your machine... that's just selfish. GTA V is 65GB, welcome to gaming in 2015.
Donnachadh
United Allegiance of Undesirables
#17 - 2015-05-31 15:13:05 UTC
OK slow internet connection to the party here.

NO to the OP.

I wil gladly sit and wait for long downloads for anything and everything that improves the game for all or most of the players. I do not want to sit through longer download times simply so you can have a gee wiz this would be neat feature especially when those features are readily available and free for you to download and use.

And no I do not have a faster internet option. My options are slow, or none at all.

On the other hand as the link provided shows I fully support an integrated option as long as the software required for that remains optional for those who want it, not a required part of the download.
Zan Shiro
Doomheim
#18 - 2015-05-31 15:40:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Zan Shiro
Christopher Mabata wrote:
There are already free programs of this available virtually everywhere, not to mention the storage space required to maintain all of this is enormous. Besides we got twitch integration didn't we? do we need more?

Funny thing is 3rd party usually does it better. Not a slight against CCP, its just that 3rd party usually lives for that 1 app's feature(s).

Like TS and others for voice comms. Or frap (others) for video. They have a reason to always improve. They lose popularity otherwise. Where as with CCP with so much going on under the hood barring fatal errors once a feature released it's follow up cycles can be iffy. As well....only so many people, lots to do, priorities shift to cover the hottest fires worst case.

Well that and even if turned off....its still code I am downloading. If I wanted video I'd pull down, well, frap. I don't want video so guess what isn't on my computer as an added executable.

Not even a case of running a potato. I just don't iike bloat. Why for example on my linux downloads I go straight for the bare install server installs. Gets me a basic working client....I add what is needed. Have the drive space for full installs, just not the time or motivation to properly rip out tons of crap not wanted. So I work the other angle. Base install...add my say 5 programs (plus any dependencies), call it done.
Py Solette
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2015-05-31 15:55:36 UTC
Yeah i can't record anything since i don' have a good PC, this would let me record most likely, the only way this would be made good is if CCP created a recorder that saves the game state has supposed tot he graphical elements, not making a literal video.

Definitely would be awesome, obviously most people here don't understand any of what that means, but +1. I'd like a recording feature would let me share awesome moments with people, has long has CCP makes a module to convert it to mp4's, i'd definitely use it.
Tappits
Sniggerdly
Pandemic Legion
#20 - 2015-06-01 11:41:04 UTC
The client receives what the battle looks like and it knows what you are doing.
Why there is not a battle recorder and a standalone micro client and can play back the logs?
12Next page