These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Make battleships and battlecruisers worth the warp! 2.0

First post
Author
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#561 - 2015-05-29 03:41:38 UTC
Iyacia Cyric'ai wrote:
This is probably going to be an unpopular opinion, but speaking from the perspective of small gang pvp, Battleships don't require a MASSIVE overhaul. In fact several battleship hulls are quite strong, namely: Machariel, Armageddon, Dominix, Bhargest and Typhoon. The battleships that suffer the most are the ones that were previously kings of large null doctrines: i.e. Maelstrom and Abaddon (i.e. the slowest ships with no application bonus and no utility high slot). I'm not an expert at large fleet PvP but I would imagine the issue there is bombers and sentry cruisers.

Amd not all of the battleships are slated for a massive overhaul. Those t1 ships got mostly an iterative polish pass with a bit to up the buffer and sensor stats,, and the typhoon got a bit of cap and agility in my proposed changes. Haven't gotten around to pirate and t2 battleships yet, but they are on the list.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Making battleships worth the warp

Iyacia Cyric'ai
Lai Dai Counterintelligence
#562 - 2015-05-29 04:15:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Iyacia Cyric'ai
James Baboli wrote:
Iyacia Cyric'ai wrote:
This is probably going to be an unpopular opinion, but speaking from the perspective of small gang pvp, Battleships don't require a MASSIVE overhaul. In fact several battleship hulls are quite strong, namely: Machariel, Armageddon, Dominix, Bhargest and Typhoon. The battleships that suffer the most are the ones that were previously kings of large null doctrines: i.e. Maelstrom and Abaddon (i.e. the slowest ships with no application bonus and no utility high slot). I'm not an expert at large fleet PvP but I would imagine the issue there is bombers and sentry cruisers.

Amd not all of the battleships are slated for a massive overhaul. Those t1 ships got mostly an iterative polish pass with a bit to up the buffer and sensor stats,, and the typhoon got a bit of cap and agility in my proposed changes. Haven't gotten around to pirate and t2 battleships yet, but they are on the list.
I definitely agree on sensor buffs across the board. I only have strong opinions on the following changes:

Abaddon needs a significant capacitor buff and a slight CPU buff. I think the logic is pretty obvious.

Rokh needs to go the way of the Moa and have its range bonus changed to a damage bonus. Unbonussed large blasters have enough range for smallgang PvP. If a Rokh is used for smallgang PvP at all these days its usually blaster with dual XLASBs. Damage bonus will give it more impact while it still has cap charges and also increases its chance of removing DPS off the field faster in the hopes of surviving the reload. Slight CPU buff as well.

Most faction (navy not pirate) Battleships aren't really worth the price in comparison to Marauders and Pirate variants.
unidenify
Deaf Armada
#563 - 2015-05-29 17:45:01 UTC  |  Edited by: unidenify
Do you feel Marauder is where it should be?
I am not sure how large turret performs in pvp. But I still don't see CCP make changes on the bs size missile.
I have a issue with how much fit requirements the torpedoes launcher needs in comparison to the cruise launcher.

Rokh have issues where Naga outperform rokh in term of firepower due to 5% damage bonus per level plus same 10 % optimal range as well.

I feel that all bs should have one utility high slot. as remove one turret hard point from rokh and compensate by giving role bonus to increase dps to equal to 8 turret
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#564 - 2015-05-29 18:21:45 UTC
unidenify wrote:
Do you feel Marauder is where it should be?
I am not sure how large turret performs in pvp. But I still don't see CCP make changes on the bs size missile.
I have a issue with how much fit requirements the torpedoes launcher needs in comparison to the cruise launcher.

Rokh have issues where Naga outperform rokh in term of firepower due to 5% damage bonus per level plus same 10 % optimal range as well.

I feel that all bs should have one utility high slot. as remove one turret hard point from rokh and compensate by giving role bonus to increase dps to equal to 8 turret

I feel like marauders are largely where they should be. I think the kronos and paladin need a tiny tiny bit better cap regen, due to being supposed to run heavy active tank and guns simultaneously.

I do think large projectile turrets need a buff, and that torpedos need some looking at, but that stealth bombers make them very hard to strike a purely battleship centric balance on. Definitely need to look at the fitting of some weapons, or the fitting room on many hulls (most of which got nudged upwards in the numbers sheet, I do urge everyone to take a quick look at it and give me specific feedback on the numbers posted on any ships I have covered that are of particular interest to you)

As for the rokh: I like it's bonuses as it is, but am open to looking at how it would do with more DPS, or a damage bonus and fewer hardpoints but still 8 highs. Also, it's the sledgehammer to the naga's axe. One is nearly indestructable, and does damage okay but takes a few swings. One gets dull and needs the head replaced fairly often, but does much more damage in a set period.

Quote:

Abaddon needs a significant capacitor buff and a slight CPU buff. I think the logic is pretty obvious.

Rokh needs to go the way of the Moa and have its range bonus changed to a damage bonus. Unbonussed large blasters have enough range for smallgang PvP. If a Rokh is used for smallgang PvP at all these days its usually blaster with dual XLASBs. Damage bonus will give it more impact while it still has cap charges and also increases its chance of removing DPS off the field faster in the hopes of surviving the reload. Slight CPU buff as well.

Most faction (navy not pirate) Battleships aren't really worth the price in comparison to Marauders and Pirate variants.

Points in order:

Abaddon:
Agreed on the CPU. Not so sure on the capacitor.

As for navy battleships: Most of them got a double wollop of native tank and fitting room in my proposal. I agree that they largely aren't worth flying against the much reduced in price pirate hulls, and so tried to make them feel very doughy for battleships, to reflect the sort of hard use a set of navies in this 18 sided power mess we have going on.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#565 - 2015-06-02 21:22:18 UTC
Shocked jeebus the market....

What all tech one battleships need is a dire price decrease to match their 'usefulness'. I am not willing to pay 200 million for a bare Armageddon hull that used to cost 100m.

Unless the Armageddon got a 300% sentry tracking and range buff, the price is wayyyy out of whack and so are other hulls.

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#566 - 2015-06-02 21:24:35 UTC
elitatwo wrote:

What all tech one battleships need is a dire price decrease to match their 'usefulness'. I am not willing to pay 200 million for a bare Armageddon hull that used to cost 100m.

Unless the Armageddon got a 300% sentry tracking and range buff, the price is wayyyy out of whack and so are other hulls.

Increasing the mat requirement to build everything push everything up...
elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#567 - 2015-06-02 21:30:43 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:
elitatwo wrote:

Increasing the mat requirement to build everything push everything up...

I know dear, I do have blueprints of several ships and took a look on them (note to self, don't look in the industry tab again..). Just saying it stinks Sad

Sylvous
Bigger than Jesus
#568 - 2015-06-02 22:23:09 UTC
I think that the following thread has caught the issue with BS' quite well:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=420645&find=unread

Its not that BS' aren't good (they are), its that their primary targets (BC's) are not worth their price tag compared to cruisers after the cruiser buff. So with limited BC's beeing fielded BS' don't have much use.

A buff to battlecruisers would make battleships matter again because there would be a point to flying both.
elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#569 - 2015-06-02 22:31:18 UTC
Sylvous wrote:
I think that the following thread has caught the issue with BS' quite well:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=420645&find=unread

Its not that BS' aren't good (they are), its that their primary targets (BC's) are not worth their price tag compared to cruisers after the cruiser buff. So with limited BC's beeing fielded BS' don't have much use.

A buff to battlecruisers would make battleships matter again because there would be a point to flying both.

Where do you think Stich got that idea from? I like what he is doing and he isn't wrong to do it.

James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#570 - 2015-06-10 18:47:59 UTC
elitatwo wrote:

Where do you think Stich got that idea from? I like what he is doing and he isn't wrong to do it.

I'll credit Stich with the idea himself, as my thread had mostly gone dormant for at least a few weeks when he posted that.

More work on the spreadsheet coming soon, and revised numbers based on the buffer and prop mod changes, as well as the sentry nerfs.

Now, a couple questions to the readers:
How much better would navy battleships need to be to be worth it to you to fly them?
Would you still fly pirate or t2 hulls if you currently do if they were that much better?
If not, what would make you want to fly or keep flying the t2 and pirate hulls if navy hulls go better?

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Baali Tekitsu
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#571 - 2015-06-11 00:37:49 UTC
James Baboli wrote:
elitatwo wrote:

I'll credit Stich with the idea himself, as my thread had mostly gone dormant for at least a few weeks when he posted that.

More work on the spreadsheet coming soon, and revised numbers based on the buffer and prop mod changes, as well as the sentry nerfs.

How much better would navy battleships need to be to be worth it to you to fly them?
Would you still fly pirate or t2 hulls if you currently do if they were that much better?
If not, what would make you want to fly or keep flying the t2 and pirate hulls if navy hulls go better?

For me the warp speed rig buff has fixed a lot of issues that battleships had. I think the only BS fits that are truly lacking still are these that rely on buffer rigs for tank.

The price tag most of the Battleships have is totally OK for me. I honestly think that some of the pirate battleships are too cheap compared to navy Battleships and therefor overshadowing them price for performance wise. Prime examples are Machariel vs navy Minmatar, Rattlesnake vs Navy Domi and Barghest vs Navy Caldari.

RATE LIKE SUBSCRIBE

unidenify
Deaf Armada
#572 - 2015-06-11 01:53:33 UTC
Baali Tekitsu wrote:
James Baboli wrote:
elitatwo wrote:

For me the warp speed rig buff has fixed a lot of issues that battleships had. I think the only BS fits that are truly lacking still are these that rely on buffer rigs for tank.

The price tag most of the Battleships have is totally OK for me. I honestly think that some of the pirate battleships are too cheap compared to navy Battleships and therefor overshadowing them price for performance wise. Prime examples are Machariel vs navy Minmatar, Rattlesnake vs Navy Domi and Barghest vs Navy Caldari.

to be fair, Barghest is not ship you would see in usage for PVE, where Navy Caldari BS provide more useful bonus for PVE.

Barghest's bonus make it to be more pvp oriented than PVE oriented
Stitch Kaneland
The Tuskers
The Tuskers Co.
#573 - 2015-06-11 02:08:39 UTC
James Baboli wrote:
elitatwo wrote:

I don't think the navy BS need a huge buff, except maybe the navy geddon (i can't think of a good role for it). I cannot speak on all the navy/fleet ships since i haven't flown them all, but out of the 2 i have flown i have this to say.

Typhoon FI
Very good ship. Extremely flexible between guns/missiles. Can fit dual heavy neuts with bonused missiles and has a large drone bay to work with as well. Probably one of my favorite ships to fly in general.

Tempest FI
Outside a few niche fits i've made (triple rep armor tank), its kind of meh. It does see fleet use though, so in that role it seems to perform fairly well. I'd like to see it maybe get a 10% dmg 7.5% tracking bonus to make it a little more distinctive from t1 pest, and make it better as an arty platform.

Zan Shiro
Doomheim
#574 - 2015-06-11 03:40:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Zan Shiro
elitatwo wrote:

Can thank tiiericide for that.

Which I could say fine to but.....with the BS' nothing changed. It wasn't the damn blueprint needs that had rokh the fleet bs for caldari. Scorpion was a niche ship and raven was well the other BS. Kind of like the girl you have no interest in whatsoever but you pretend to be nice and deal with since she's your girls friend. You know...that tag along that you tolerate to keep your girl happy lol. And try to ditch any chance you get. (edit: replace with sex of partner to tastes ofc).

Other races followed suit by and large. It wasn't the blueprint and tier that had domi back seated to mega in fleets. CCP found the answer to what that was many years later as we all know from the surge of drone boats must burn threads lol. Apparently when you tweak weapons systems or bonuses for them people fly ships more. Who would have thought that...?

Personally since ccp has good data to know this was just a bad idea they should roll the change back really. I stopped flying even my beloved scorpions when I still pvp'd. They weren't the fun kick ass throwaway bs rides at the 70-80 mil I remember them being when they shot up in price(well 80 mil for me...I had a good bp for them, before ccp dicked up ME in the crap industry change as well for another kick to the balls besides tiericide, rant for another day there though).
FT Cold
No Vacancies
No Vacancies.
#575 - 2015-06-11 08:01:00 UTC
Navy geddon is pretty underwhelming, as is the navy domi. People like to whine about the typhoon fleet issue, but it's a decent niche fleet ship, even if it's very dependent on triage, TP, and web loki support.
Stitch Kaneland
The Tuskers
The Tuskers Co.
#576 - 2015-06-11 20:05:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Stitch Kaneland
FT Cold wrote:
Navy geddon is pretty underwhelming, as is the navy domi. People like to whine about the typhoon fleet issue, but it's a decent niche fleet ship, even if it's very dependent on triage, TP, and web loki support

RHML FI phoon is pretty beast. 120k+ EHP, 850-1200 burst dps, dual heavy neuts, mjd and 4 utility mids means i face roll just about anything that isnt another BS. I actually 2-3 shotted a jackdaw the other day in it.

Navy geddon seems to be the most useless imo.
FT Cold
No Vacancies
No Vacancies.
#577 - 2015-06-12 08:55:11 UTC  |  Edited by: FT Cold
Stitch Kaneland wrote:
FT Cold wrote:
Navy geddon is pretty underwhelming, as is the navy domi. People like to whine about the typhoon fleet issue, but it's a decent niche fleet ship, even if it's very dependent on triage, TP, and web loki support

RHML FI phoon is pretty beast. 120k+ EHP, 850-1200 burst dps, dual heavy neuts, mjd and 4 utility mids means i face roll just about anything that isnt another BS. I actually 2-3 shotted a jackdaw the other day in it.

Navy geddon seems to be the most useless imo.

Yeah, I derped that, I meant the tempest. I'm a big fan of the RHML line phoon, as you know, and the fleet phoon in better in every way. I haven't used the fleet typhoon for pvp yet, but I've had enough luck flying solo with the t1 version to know how powerful it is.

As for the navy domi, the only sensible roles that I can envision myself using it in is something like a hull tank navy brutix. It's not unreasonable to get almost 300k ehp out of it, which is really pretty impressive. Other that that though, I'd just use a rattlesnake.

The navy geddon is really just deficient in powergrid, it's not a terrible hull, but it is difficult to fit, and I'm still a little disappointed that we still see the cap use bonus on amarr hulls. With a little more grid and maybe an optimal bonus that thing would be a beast.

On a side note, there's been a lot of discussion about battleships on and off over the last two years, and I think CCP has taken some great strides towards balancing ships, but the BS class, I think, still needs a slight overhaul. People like to point to nightmareX or big miker's videos as evidence for battleship supremacy, and while it's true that those players are excellent pvpers, these people need to keep in mind that the examples of total domination that they see do have an element of smoke and mirrors in them. Links, implants, and bling can make ships astonishingly powerful, and it isn't limited to battleship hulls, as anyone that's flown an orthrus, claymore, or svipul using the aforementioned goodies can tell you. Moreover, one of the greatest skills that these players have is choosing the right fights. That's something that's not often recognized and I've seen that mistake often on this forum.

I'm not saying that I think battleships are worthless, because they're not. I've made great use of several hulls, and I can't complain about the amount of fun it is to fly a ship with a big engagement profile. What I would like, though, is for CCP to recognize a few things about the current metagame, for instance, why the dominant t1 battleship hulls revolve around neuts, RHMLs, and drones, or why gunnery based BS hulls are so weak for small scale fighting without an extreme degree of control over the grid, or some other advantage such as links. Brawly hulls, outside of a few environments, like some assault frigates, a few of the t1 destroyers, and most combat battlecruisers, are very lackluster. There are a few exceptions, as we would expect, but for the most part, the sentiment is accurate, and I'd be very happy if CCP would take a look at this.

I'm glad that this thread is here, and I've enjoyed reading the discussion that's taken place. A few of us should get together some time and take out a few typhoons and stir up some trouble.
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#578 - 2015-06-25 07:06:02 UTC
So, the tempest will now far and away out DPS the machariel if both are fit for DPS. I'm not sure what to think of this development.

Projectile focused hulls with effective turret formula:

Tempest (post change)
6 x 1.25 / .625 = 12
Fleet pest
6 x 1.25 / .75 = 10
Machariel
7 x 1.25 / .75 = 11.6666
Vargur
4 x 2 / .75 = 10.6666
Maelstrom
8 /.75 = 10.66666

So, the tempest is now the highest DPS projectile platorm in the battleship category by a wide margin, as it also boasts a decent drone bay and bandwidth and the ability to squeeze on 2 launchers as well.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#579 - 2015-06-25 07:08:58 UTC
Now even though I don't fly minmatar, let me say, ouch!

Iroquoiss Pliskin
9B30FF Labs
#580 - 2015-06-26 08:40:39 UTC
James Baboli wrote:
So, the tempest will now far and away out DPS the machariel if both are fit for DPS. I'm not sure what to think of this development.

Projectile focused hulls with effective turret formula:

Tempest (post change)
6 x 1.25 / .625 = 12
Fleet pest
6 x 1.25 / .75 = 10
Machariel
7 x 1.25 / .75 = 11.6666
Vargur
4 x 2 / .75 = 10.6666
Maelstrom
8 /.75 = 10.66666

So, the tempest is now the highest DPS projectile platorm in the battleship category by a wide margin, as it also boasts a decent drone bay and bandwidth and the ability to squeeze on 2 launchers as well.

This DPS increase needs to be across all Battleship hulls - differentiate them from ABCs & other cruiser masses. Smile