These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Alignment Indicator in Current Speed Gauge

Author
Bishamon Katani
Katani Stellar Resource Industries
#1 - 2015-05-27 20:40:04 UTC
I'd love to have some indicator in the current speed gauge that lets you know when you're aligned.

My thought is when you Align To/Warp To a location, a red line appears through the center arc of the gauge and shrinks as you line up so that when that line is gone you're aligned (and when you're at speed, you'll warp).
Iain Cariaba
#2 - 2015-05-27 21:19:22 UTC
No.

Simply be aware of what you're doing.
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#3 - 2015-05-27 22:18:36 UTC
I am in favor of a nice little indicator on the speed guage letting you know when you hit exactly the required speed to warp, and which can be clicked to set speed to minimum warp speed.

As for direction guages and similar? maybe as an interation on tactical overlay.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Making battleships worth the warp

Bishamon Katani
#4 - 2015-05-27 22:25:02 UTC
Iain Cariaba wrote:
No.

Ok then, how about we get rid of the speed gauge? Or the capacitor gauge. Or the ammo remaining counters. Or the shield/armor/hull damage gauges? Or the ...? You get the idea.

"Be aware of what you're doing" is a non-reason for turning down a UI change.
Bishamon Katani
#5 - 2015-05-27 22:30:56 UTC
James Baboli wrote:
I am in favor of a nice little indicator on the speed guage letting you know when you hit exactly the required speed to warp, and which can be clicked to set speed to minimum warp speed.

That's already there. The dark grey arc in the speed gauge has lines coming off it at 25%, 50%, and 75% of max speed. When you hit 75% (and are aligned) you warp.

Or we could take Iain Cariaba's approach and get rid of those as well and you just warp when you warp.
Iain Cariaba
#6 - 2015-05-27 22:34:56 UTC
Bishamon Katani wrote:
Iain Cariaba wrote:
No.

Ok then, how about we get rid of the speed gauge? Or the capacitor gauge. Or the ammo remaining counters. Or the shield/armor/hull damage gauges? Or the ...? You get the idea.

Exaggeration to the point of absurdity does not, in any way, support your position.
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#7 - 2015-05-27 22:36:38 UTC
Bishamon Katani wrote:
James Baboli wrote:

That's already there. The dark grey arc in the speed gauge has lines coming off it at 25%, 50%, and 75% of max speed. When you hit 75% (and are aligned) you warp.

Or we could take Iain Cariaba's approach and get rid of those as well and you just warp when you warp.

I don't see any lines at those points on my screen. I see a number of tiny hatch marks, but nothing that is significant enough to be easily read.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Arla Sarain
#8 - 2015-05-27 22:38:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Arla Sarain
Iain Cariaba wrote:
Bishamon Katani wrote:
Iain Cariaba wrote:
No.

Exaggeration to the point of absurdity does not, in any way, support your position.

Neither does being unreasonably hyperbolic every night on Features & Ideas Discussion. You exaggerate any downside of every idea on this forum every time you post; it's practically your brand.

A countdown timer of sorts would be nice, as long as its clean and tidy and non-intrusive.
Iain Cariaba
#9 - 2015-05-27 22:40:19 UTC
James Baboli wrote:
Bishamon Katani wrote:
James Baboli wrote:

I don't see any lines at those points on my screen. I see a number of tiny hatch marks, but nothing that is significant enough to be easily read.

Not to troll, but you probably need glasses then. I play on a 30" monitor with 2560x1600 resolution at 90% UI scaling with the monitor a good 5' away, and I can easily see those marks when I wear my glasses.
Bishamon Katani
#10 - 2015-05-27 22:41:52 UTC
Iain Cariaba wrote:
Bishamon Katani wrote:
Iain Cariaba wrote:
No.

No, but it invalidates yours.
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#11 - 2015-05-27 22:42:57 UTC
Iain Cariaba wrote:
James Baboli wrote:
Bishamon Katani wrote:
James Baboli wrote:

Not to troll, but you probably need glasses then. I play on a 30" monitor with 2560x1600 resolution at 90% UI scaling with the monitor a good 5' away, and I can easily see those marks when I wear my glasses.

I play at 2560x1600 at 90% on a 23 inch screen and about 7 feet distance. It may have to do with that whole cluster being seen through a chat box set for max transparency....

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Iain Cariaba
#12 - 2015-05-27 22:45:55 UTC
Arla Sarain wrote:
Iain Cariaba wrote:
Bishamon Katani wrote:
Iain Cariaba wrote:
No.

Neither does being unreasonably hyperbolic every night on Features & Ideas Discussion. You exaggerate any downside of every idea on this forum every time you post; it's practically your brand.

A countdown timer of sorts would be nice, as long as its clean and tidy and non-intrusive.

Actually, it's very difficult to exaggerate the downsides of many ideas posted here. I simply realize that the players of this game will abuse any idea in every way they can if it provides them an advantage over someone else. I merely point out the myriad ways things may be abused, knowing that for every potential abuse I spot, there's at least two other ways I don't see.

If people would simply stop and consider how their ideas will be abused before they post them, then I'd have nothing to do on the forums. Twisted
Arla Sarain
#13 - 2015-05-27 22:52:03 UTC
Iain Cariaba wrote:
Arla Sarain wrote:
Iain Cariaba wrote:
Bishamon Katani wrote:
Iain Cariaba wrote:
No.

Actually, it's very difficult to exaggerate the downsides of many ideas posted here. I simply realize that the players of this game will abuse any idea in every way they can if it provides them an advantage over someone else. I merely point out the myriad ways things may be abused, knowing that for every potential abuse I spot, there's at least two other ways I don't see.

If people would simply stop and consider how their ideas will be abused before they post them, then I'd have nothing to do on the forums. Twisted

Abuse a time-to-warp gauge. Just like time-to-lock is abused. Roll

No, seriously, every night you come here and roleplay the Caesar of F&I, bombing threads with your thumbs downing like its absolute.
Alexis Nightwish
#14 - 2015-05-28 19:09:48 UTC
Iain Cariaba wrote:
No.

I, too, hate small QoL improvements. Roll

CCP approaches problems in one of two ways: nudge or cludge

EVE Online's "I win!" Button

Fixing bombs, not the bombers

Iain Cariaba
#15 - 2015-05-28 20:18:21 UTC
Alexis Nightwish wrote:
Iain Cariaba wrote:
No.

I, too, hate small QoL improvements. Roll

If it truly improved the quality of life, then I would support it. Ninety-nine percent of all suggestions made under the banner "Quality of Life Improvement" are really nothing more than suggestion made because the OP doesn't want to work within the existing system. They want the system changed to reflect the way they want to play the game, rather than adapt their play to the game.

In the case of this suggestion, what is wrong with zooming in and actually looking at which direction your ship is pointed? Being able to look and see that you're lined up with the station or planet with POS around it sure sounds like an alignment indicator to me.
Nasar Vyron
S0utherN Comfort
#16 - 2015-05-28 20:35:51 UTC
Ian I'm not seeing your problem here. It's no more useful than the 75% indicator currently on our speedometers. It doesn't hurt, and it might help someone in the long run so... seems fine to me.

The question becomes, where would you put a 3d indicator showing current alignment compared to the desired alignment. I can only think of the tactical overlay. Possibly when warp command is given a conical indicator appears in the direction of the location, and a red/yellow/green line is projected from your ship? That seems horribly distracting to me if not done through the tactical overlay.
Iain Cariaba
#17 - 2015-05-28 21:07:27 UTC
Nasar Vyron wrote:
Ian I'm not seeing your problem here. It's no more useful than the 75% indicator currently on our speedometers. It doesn't hurt, and it might help someone in the long run so... seems fine to me.

The question becomes, where would you put a 3d indicator showing current alignment compared to the desired alignment. I can only think of the tactical overlay. Possibly when warp command is given a conical indicator appears in the direction of the location, and a red/yellow/green line is projected from your ship? That seems horribly distracting to me if not done through the tactical overlay.

There's a nice 3d indicator showing your current alignment already in the game. It's called your ship. If you want to see it's alignment in relation to your desired alignment, then select what you want to align to, and press the "C" button.

You're right, it doesn't hurt, but it is totally unnecessary.
afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#18 - 2015-05-28 21:12:34 UTC
Except I've warped sideways sooooo yeah....

It'd be good for the 100mn boys and girls as velocity isn't their limiting factor in warping.
Nasar Vyron
S0utherN Comfort
#19 - 2015-05-28 21:17:59 UTC
afkalt wrote:
Except I've warped sideways sooooo yeah....

It'd be good for the 100mn boys and girls as velocity isn't their limiting factor in warping.

That's more or less what I was getting at. As your mass and agility/inertia change, so would said indicator. So it does have it's uses.
HiddenPorpoise
Jarlhettur's Drop
United Federation of Conifers
#20 - 2015-05-28 22:06:54 UTC
Iain Cariaba wrote:
In the case of this suggestion, what is wrong with zooming in and actually looking at which direction your ship is pointed? Being able to look and see that you're lined up with the station or planet with POS around it sure sounds like an alignment indicator to me.
When you hit align your ship lines up to the target; it doesn't change direction of travel. The only way to know is if dust is on, and dust lies.
12Next page