These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Newbros in Eve - The SP Wall

Author
Iain Cariaba
#21 - 2015-05-27 18:22:21 UTC
afkalt wrote:
Rivr Luzade wrote:
@afkalt

Free SP don't solve any of these problems. New players see free SP, dump them into something, only to discover shortly after that it would have been a lot wiser to spend in that other skill that you need for the weapon or ship you want to fly instead of that miner which works with lower skill levels. Without knowledge, nothing will change and in my opinion, unique free stuff (you won't get these SP back or ever again regularly in your game play) applied wrongly just causes more or a different kind of frustration.

I just checked with a blank character in EVE Mon: I takes a mere 15 hours for an Amarr char to train into a Tormentor with point, web, mwd, drones, lasers, heat sinks, EANMs, 23 hrs for a rep and 1D 9H for basic armor rigs. This char is useless to put it mildly, though, without cap skills, PG skills, CPU skills, navigation skills, and so on. People really enjoy being cannon fodder that much? Ugh

Even cannon fodder feels like it's doing something. It's not logged off playing something else in the first few hours of the game because you can't even fit an MWD!

I don't want SP offered and unallocated, that's crap - just the skills there, ready to rock and roll at minimum level.

You're right, they'll be crap HOWEVER they're playing, they see what they're improving because they're using the mods etc etc.

If you give every new character base skills at minimum usable levels, then you introduce the game to instant gank alts. Just make a new gallente character and spend a few minutes training it to gallente desty 1.
Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#22 - 2015-05-27 18:22:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Rivr Luzade
To be fair, I was playing from minute one after entering EVE by doing the tutorials. I had more than enough to do back then in terms of getting a grasp of what's going on, what to do, how to do it. Back then, I wasn't sitting around doing nothing, I wasn't logged off playing another game (as far as I remember) and I didn't struggle to find skills to train overnight after my first couple of hours. Back then, however, I also encountered a very informative, helpful, friendly, experienced and reasonable crowd in the Hedion University chat channel which explained lots of things to me, gave me recommendations, hints and tips where to look for things, where I can find infos, where I can do stuff. In addition to that, I also have a relatively high degree of curiosity and know how to use google if I need to know something when no one is around to answer my questions. I feel like these essential traits have gone lost in recent years. Instead of curiosity and willingness to look things up, people expect others to do that for you, people expect things given to them.

--

1. Propulsion Jamming I (25 minutes; 150.000 ISK)
2. Hull Upgrades I (16 minutes, 40 seconds; 60.000 ISK)
3. Hull Upgrades II (1 hour, 17 minutes, 38 seconds)
4. Hull Upgrades III (7 hours, 19 minutes, 2 seconds)
5. Afterburner I (8 minutes, 20 seconds; 22.500 ISK)
6. Afterburner II (38 minutes, 50 seconds)
7. Afterburner III (3 hours, 39 minutes, 30 seconds)
8. High Speed Maneuvering I (41 minutes, 40 seconds; 340.000 ISK)
9. Weapon Upgrades I (16 minutes, 40 seconds; 80.000 ISK)
10. Drones I (8 minutes, 20 seconds; 20.000 ISK)
11. Drones II (38 minutes, 50 seconds)
12. Drones III (3 hours, 39 minutes, 30 seconds)
13. Light Drone Operation I (8 minutes, 20 seconds; 50.000 ISK)
14. Repair Systems I (8 minutes, 20 seconds; 30.000 ISK)
15. Mechanics III (3 hours, 39 minutes, 30 seconds)
16. Jury Rigging I (16 minutes, 40 seconds; 60.000 ISK)
17. Jury Rigging II (1 hour, 17 minutes, 38 seconds)
18. Jury Rigging III (7 hours, 19 minutes, 2 seconds)
19. Armor Rigging I (25 minutes; 100.000 ISK)

11 unique skills, 19 skill levels; Total time: 1 day, 8 hours, 24 minutes, 30 seconds; Completion: 29.05.2015 04:35:35; Cost: 912.500
N.B. Skill costs are based on CCP's database and are indicative only

This is the skill plan for the Tormentor (any other Amarr laser T1 frigate). I could even cut down more hours from it if I skip the HU III and only use ANP instead of EANM, if I cut the rigs and the drones as well as the active repairs. In well under a day, people can web, scram/point, mwd and minimally armor buffer their frigate and shoot lasers as they have the frigate and laser skills already trained.
Is that really too much to ask to wait? Half of the time is usually your sleeping hours after you found someone who explains skills to you and what to train. In the rest of the time, you can watch tutorial videos about PVP and PVE, fly around during your tutorial missions and learn about the space around you. This very brief waiting period gives players the opportunity to learn at least something about the game before they throw themselves head on into the shark pond; it gives them the opportunity to get to know other players and talk with them; it gives them the opportunity to earn some basic ISK because nothing listed up there buys itself, least of all the ships, mods and ammo; it gives them the opportunity to consider various options of the broad catalog of EVE activities; it gives them -- most importantly -- time to learn about fitting ships; and it teaches them the lesson that nothing is supposed to be instant in EVE, neither activity nor gratification, that you need to do something for it to happen. Especially the very last point is something that people need to understand and less and less people seem to understand or are willing to understand it as they are conditioned to instant action and instant gratification from most other games, software and activities available. A troubling trend, if you ask me.

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Reaver Glitterstim
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2015-05-27 19:33:06 UTC
This is why I want to see basic modules make a comeback--modules that are weaker than meta zero but don't require training in the relevant skills to use them. CCP should make sure all of the early playstyles are covered, so that new players can try these things while the skills train. If they find a playstyle they enjoy, it won't be long before they can enjoy it a lot better with some beautiful tech 1, but they can play around with a lot more options before then.

As it stands, basic modules do not cover all the bases (they mostly cover only standard fitting choices) and worse, they are ridiculously expensive on the market because they haven't been produced in years.

FT Diomedes: "Reaver, sometimes I wonder what you are thinking when you sit down to post."

Frostys Virpio: "We have to give it to him that he does put more effort than the vast majority in his idea but damn does it sometime come out of nowhere."

afkalt
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#24 - 2015-05-27 19:39:01 UTC  |  Edited by: afkalt
You're looking at it from a perfect vantage point. Lower yourself to the average newbie, I mean no disrespect by this by the way.

The reality is people won't stumble on these plans by accident, they're lucky if they have a friend to advise them so early.

People get too bent out of shape with the phrase 'instant gratification', like I say - immediately low level accessiblity is not that.

3 hours plus JUST to fit most rudimentary mod - a MWD, what BENEFIT is that to anyone? I'm sure someone is due to say 'slippery slope' by now but we have a massive problem keeping newbies. Making those first 24 hours spent IMPROVING abilities as opposed to entry barriers is a pretty big win at no cost.

I mean, if that's such a big deal, give everyone nothing. Just a noobship and a civilian laser. Free frigate skills teaches them instant gratification and it'll be free Titans next!!!!! ... Except that's ridiculous, yet the logic is the same. We shouldn't reasonably expect people to have to do extra-curricular studies on day one.

What we want is people to be able to fire up the game, fly a semblance of a sane ship and fit whilst learning the game as they go.

I mean, your skill plan is fine and all, but that's only any use if you KNOW that in advance. newbies will not, unless unduly lucky/outside help. They'll be all over the shop, then they want to fight and, hey...I don't have the skills. Guess I'll wait eh?
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#25 - 2015-05-27 22:08:18 UTC
afkalt wrote:

Even cannon fodder feels like it's doing something. It's not logged off playing something else in the first few hours of the game because you can't even fit an MWD!

I don't want SP offered and unallocated, that's crap - just the skills there, ready to rock and roll at minimum level.

You're right, they'll be crap HOWEVER they're playing, they see what they're improving because they're using the mods etc etc.

+ many to being able to do something, but needing to train the skills related to the things to be other than absolutely horrendous. It lowers the isk wall to new fits, which some newbies struggle with if they don't get corped up, it lowers the wall of needing to know what skills do what, because they can fit the t1 and meta versions of many of the basic mods in eve, while the fact that they suck at it means they learn early the necessity of the support skills.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Making battleships worth the warp

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#26 - 2015-05-28 01:05:13 UTC
For a while now, I've been of the opinion that new players should be offered a "package" of skillpoints based on what areas of the NPE they have taken an interest in. The tutorial should move people around between different things, trying out each one in a virtual environment.

At the end, based on their decisions, a newbie is asked to choose between a bunch of different, focused skill builds that are oriented towards the style of play they chose.

For instance, a particular style of play might grant a player the ability to fly destroyers of their chosen race, and better fitting skills to be able to fit said ship. While another might grant a player with upgraded maneuvering and piloting skills for frigates, and higher skills with that race's small guns. Yet another could give a player upgraded drone and tank skills.

And so on, for mining, industry, exploration, and so forth. Obviously some of the old playstyle archetypes can't be included, but the ability to customize your starting status would be a good step forward, I believe.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#27 - 2015-05-28 01:18:26 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
For a while now, I've been of the opinion that new players should be offered a "package" of skillpoints based on what areas of the NPE they have taken an interest in. The tutorial should move people around between different things, trying out each one in a virtual environment.

At the end, based on their decisions, a newbie is asked to choose between a bunch of different, focused skill builds that are oriented towards the style of play they chose.

For instance, a particular style of play might grant a player the ability to fly destroyers of their chosen race, and better fitting skills to be able to fit said ship. While another might grant a player with upgraded maneuvering and piloting skills for frigates, and higher skills with that race's small guns. Yet another could give a player upgraded drone and tank skills.

And so on, for mining, industry, exploration, and so forth. Obviously some of the old playstyle archetypes can't be included, but the ability to customize your starting status would be a good step forward, I believe.

Sort of like the old, original character creation stuff, but taking place AFTER the tutorial?

I kind of like this idea.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#28 - 2015-05-28 01:21:55 UTC
Danika Princip wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:

Sort of like the old, original character creation stuff, but taking place AFTER the tutorial?

I kind of like this idea.

In a nutshell, yes. Let them make those decisions after they have had a chance to try each one out, and give them a reasonable boost towards their preferred one.

This helps avoid the "look at all the skillpoints I wasted on mining" that is so often repeated today.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Zoe Athame
Don't Lose Your Way
#29 - 2015-05-28 02:47:12 UTC
afkalt wrote:
You're looking at it from a perfect vantage point. Lower yourself to the average newbie, I mean no disrespect by this by the way.

The reality is people won't stumble on these plans by accident, they're lucky if they have a friend to advise them so early.

People get too bent out of shape with the phrase 'instant gratification', like I say - immediately low level accessiblity is not that.

3 hours plus JUST to fit most rudimentary mod - a MWD, what BENEFIT is that to anyone? I'm sure someone is due to say 'slippery slope' by now but we have a massive problem keeping newbies. Making those first 24 hours spent IMPROVING abilities as opposed to entry barriers is a pretty big win at no cost.

I mean, if that's such a big deal, give everyone nothing. Just a noobship and a civilian laser. Free frigate skills teaches them instant gratification and it'll be free Titans next!!!!! ... Except that's ridiculous, yet the logic is the same. We shouldn't reasonably expect people to have to do extra-curricular studies on day one.

What we want is people to be able to fire up the game, fly a semblance of a sane ship and fit whilst learning the game as they go.

I mean, your skill plan is fine and all, but that's only any use if you KNOW that in advance. newbies will not, unless unduly lucky/outside help. They'll be all over the shop, then they want to fight and, hey...I don't have the skills. Guess I'll wait eh?

As veterans who are used to training skills that can take weeks, we see a list of 1x skills and think "oh, all of that will only take 15 hours, thats nothing. I'll let it run overnight." However, from a newbies perspective who just installed/patched the game and is super excited to jump into New Eden, getting told they can't play yet and should wait and come back tomorrow is unacceptable.

I agree that giving new players some SP love won't hurt anyone. Right now new players start with ~56,000 SP. Practically nothing. Bumping that up to 500k or even 1m would greatly reduce the tedium of training core skills.

More starting SP is only a bandaid fix though, I think a skill rework is still necessary to keep new players feeling like they aren't super far behind.
FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#30 - 2015-05-28 04:04:10 UTC
I remember when players started with more SP, then people complained that they started with the wrong skills...

Still, I agree... new players should start with the ability to fly their racial T1 frigate with all normal mods - point, web, propulsion module, weapons, and shield or armor modules. From there, they can work on making things better or training into new ships, but a new Minmatar player should be able to hop into a Slasher or Rifter an hour into the game and go contribute (or brawl other one hour old newbies).

CCP should add more NPC 0.0 space to open it up and liven things up: the Stepping Stones project.

13kr1d1
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#31 - 2015-05-28 05:51:08 UTC
The difference between a total newb in a frig and a level 5 with T2 guns and faction ammo is >200% DPS, assuming a reasonable T1 hull.

SP does matter. Players don't need to start with anything, they need to get training in how to PvP when at an SP disadvantage, and how to quickly build up their relevant SP.

Back when people started with 800,000 SP, it was easy to build a character specifically for a job such as ewar pilot, and then develop based off of skills you already had been given to you. "Oh, I got this stuff, it must be part of what makes me an effective ewar pilot", etc.

Don't kid yourselves. Even the dirtiest pirates from the birth of EVE have been carebears. They use alts to bring them goods at cheap prices and safely, rather than live with consequences of their in game actions on their main, from concord to prices

Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#32 - 2015-05-28 06:08:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Rivr Luzade
afkalt wrote:

I look at this from how I started EVE: I got no starting money beyond what EVE provides, I got drawn into it by some acquaintances from another game, I chatted a little bit with them but most of my information came from the Hedion University chat. The first 3 hours were for me, as far as I can remember it, to figure out how to fly my ship as it was completely different from the other space game I was playing up until then, how to make some money, how to continue with the tutorials, how modules work, how the UI functions and where functions are hidden/placed in the UI, among other things.
From what I can tell, players already have a low level accessibility to ships and fittings when the enter the game and after a couple of minutes, they can use basic ewar/tackling modules and propulsion modules. That's basic enough for them. Your exaggeration with the No-Skills-At-All or Free-Titan-For-All isn't going to change that.

Admittedly, I have little sympathy for the modern day average newbie who's been spoiled by all the other easy-mode games. Lowering EVE to their standards is nothing I will support. People can know about this skill plan, or better ones for that matter, if other players would put this more prominently on blogs, websites, forums; and if other players would be less of a dirtbag to other players in newbie help chats. From what I can tell, the lackluster NPE and accessibility is not so much about lackluster mechanics and entry gifts, but a lot more about other, older players making it harder for new players to learn things properly, about older players making it harder for new players to ask questions and get appropriate answers in the official or other clearly denoted newbie chats (what they do to newbies in local or other chats does not matter). That is the oft vaunted player interaction and player provided help and accessibility to the game. If players fail at that, the sandbox fails as a whole to some extend. And considering how many people, judging by my experience, are just logging in these days for action or go play another game, and then complain that there is nothing going on, removing more of this player interaction and forced contact points between new players and old players (tutors, if you will) is not going to help.
On the other hand, I expect players to learn about the game and not just do things, that's not how EVE works, not how it should work. You gather some information about an activity, then you try it out and then you refine it.

FT Diomedes wrote:
but a new Minmatar player should be able to hop into a Slasher or Rifter an hour into the game and go contribute (or brawl other one hour old newbies).

Roll That is exactly what you can do, skillwise. It takes me 50 minutes to get to web/scram, basic armor mods, 1H 7M for Gyros. Can you afford any of that after you spend the starter money on the skills? Nope, not at all.

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Petrified
Old and Petrified Syndication
TOG - The Older Gamers Alliance
#33 - 2015-05-28 06:48:14 UTC
CCP has a variety of starter packages for 'newbros' that include some very nice attribute boosters. They are good for a limited time: X amount of time from the characters birth, but they do convey a huge boost to the learning rate.

It is better for the true new player to learn gradually, especially in terms of flying combat in PvP than to hand them a ton of SP and pat them on the tush saying: "have fun".

There is a lot I would have been better off learning earlier than latter - at least we older players are no longer have to worry about clone costs when perishing.

Cloaking is the closest thing to a "Pause Game" button one can get while in space.

Support better localization for the Japanese Community.

Daniela Doran
Doomheim
#34 - 2015-05-28 06:58:54 UTC
Sean Parisi wrote:
To be honest i dont think the 'sp wall' is that extravagent. However, I wouldnt mind if new characters started with more SP or even if they increased the rate in which everyone accrues SP.

Then of course there is the possibility of hard core characters that ccp was talking about. (Instant sp characters) That do not accrue sp but have a static amount bought. If they die they are dead

I see nothing wrong with this. They can get that precious experience with this type of char while their mains are training. But the pressure of not getting podded would be much more terrifying for those younguns that may traumatize them throughout the rest of their days in eve.
Devasha Detrasha
Doomheim
#35 - 2015-05-28 07:26:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Devasha Detrasha
There's no way around the SP wall period. I'm a new player that started playing this game last year and was completely overwhelmed by the shear vastness of the eve universe. I couldn't decide what I wanted to do so I took a step back and start observing all forum postings, goggling and watching tons of youtube eve videos. After gathering data I learn the most important thing for a new player is proper skill planning with proper attribute remaps. Generating the most SP in the shortest time period is what new players should focus on at first so they can start enjoying the game as soon as possible because the time sink in training skills in eve is unavoidable.
Dustpuppy
New Eden Ferengi
#36 - 2015-05-28 07:28:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Dustpuppy
Frank Padecain wrote:

I propose that for the first character on each new account, the tutorials should give a small amount of unallocated SP that the newbro can place into whatever skills he wants. It wouldn't be a huge amount, I originally was thinking about 500k SP across the 5 tutorial concentrations.

Hell YES. You know how lovely this would be? I could make instant cyno alts :) Wow, that would be great. No longer waiting some stupid time. You need a chain of of these alts from Jita to the edge of the universe? No problem, just create massive amounts of new accounts, run some tutorial stuff and you are done.

So: no.

What I would do is to add the possibility to reallocate all skill points within the first three months after creating the first char a single time. With such an approach you could start training in different directions, learn the basics of the game, pick something you really like and then focus it. So in case you decided to train something you don't want (e.g. drones instead of missiles) it wouldn't really harm you.
Zarek RedHill
State War Academy
Caldari State
#37 - 2015-05-28 12:21:23 UTC
afkalt wrote:
Corraidhin Farsaidh wrote:
SP is rarely an issue in my mind.

The first (~)three days are the most formative...they need to be a lot smoother and a lot easier to jump into things. At the moment it sets a tone of "you're waiting for everything, all the time"...which I guess is TECHNICALLY accurate, but even after a month, that's a wildly different "wait" experience than the first hours.

I post this having kicked a new alt off and seeing the carnage that is rookie help (bless those ISDs).

I completely agree with this. It's not really about the lack of SP -- it's how quickly a newbro gets to the "now wait three hours to proceed" point in their first impression. Rather than reward SP for doing tutorials, just make that initial experience a little bit more scripted and guided so that there's always something cool to do. In my own experience (from about 5 months ago), the SoE Epic Arc mission progression was really fun and compelling. I would recommend more of that style of content, rather than fixate on lack of SP for newbros.

-Z
Agondray
Avenger Mercenaries
Space Brutality
#38 - 2015-05-28 12:52:24 UTC
Christopher Mabata wrote:
One problem i see with this is if you start giving free SP out at the beginning of the trial period ( as good an idea as it may be ) you may run into the other wall which is older players. We didn't get that free 500K SP, so then you have to give it to all of us too. Which could be a turn off for CCP because they don't want to just give away SP its only ever been awarded when something went terribly wrong with the servers or for events outside their sphere of control.

I would propose instead that new characters spawn with more skills than they do now such as industry I or whatever. This way they begin with a stronger base of skills, and it takes less time to specialize ( marginally less at least ) and they now can do more than they could before throughout the trial period and into their EvE Careers

that was called Red Moon Rising, as a New character you started with with over 800k Sp and if you chose your race/bloodline and school right you could start with skills that allowed you to pick up 1 skill and *boom* you have a t2 skill/mod you can use

"Sarcasm is the Recourse of a weak mind." -Dr. Smith

elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#39 - 2015-05-28 15:30:51 UTC
Agondray wrote:
Christopher Mabata wrote:
One problem i see with this is if you start giving free SP out at the beginning of the trial period ( as good an idea as it may be ) you may run into the other wall which is older players. We didn't get that free 500K SP, so then you have to give it to all of us too. Which could be a turn off for CCP because they don't want to just give away SP its only ever been awarded when something went terribly wrong with the servers or for events outside their sphere of control.

I would propose instead that new characters spawn with more skills than they do now such as industry I or whatever. This way they begin with a stronger base of skills, and it takes less time to specialize ( marginally less at least ) and they now can do more than they could before throughout the trial period and into their EvE Careers

that was called Red Moon Rising, as a New character you started with with over 800k Sp and if you chose your race/bloodline and school right you could start with skills that allowed you to pick up 1 skill and *boom* you have a t2 skill/mod you can use

Nope that was called Revelations. In Red Moon Rising - Bloodlines you started with 55k skillpoints and got 'screwd' over three months later.
And remember, we also had to train about ten million learning skillpoints for our attributes to advance that one memory point faster and so on.

So I do get the hardship of noobs - I was one of you and I had it even harder than you have it now. The best advice I can give you is train everything to V, just not at once.

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

Previous page12