These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

Ships need "Born On" dating!!!

Author
Varus Vindicti
Deadly Execution
#21 - 2015-05-28 01:34:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Varus Vindicti
All of this is intended to generate a unique ID for each ship so it could be tracked until destroyed. It would be interesting to see how old some ships are, what they've killed, who they've passed from/to on the market, who stole them, etc.

All vehicles IRL aircraft, cars, boats, ship have unique identifiers. EVE should be no different.

It could be private information except on a billboard - when the ship is destroyed, you could publicly access what ships it has killed, who owned it etc. Think of the histories you could generate for a given ship. It would add content to the game!
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#22 - 2015-05-28 01:36:26 UTC
Varus Vindicti wrote:
All of this is intended to generate a unique ID for each ship so it could be tracked until destroyed. It would be interesting to see how old some ships are, what they've killed, who they've passed from/to on the market, who stole them, etc.

All vehicles IRL aircraft, cars, boats, ship have unique identifiers. EVE should be no different.

Would this be publicly viewable, and would I be able to disable it on every single ship i ever bought, built or flew?

Why would I want to hand out free intel about my ships?

Why am I asking you the same question five times and still not getting an answer?
Varus Vindicti
Deadly Execution
#23 - 2015-05-28 01:39:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Varus Vindicti
It could be private information except on a killboard - when the ship is destroyed, you could publicly access what ships it has killed, who owned it etc. Think of the histories you could generate for a given ship. It would add content to the game!

What valuable intel are you giving away? When a ship dies, you can see exactly what its fit was, etc.
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#24 - 2015-05-28 01:42:44 UTC
Varus Vindicti wrote:
It could be private information except on a killboard - when the ship is destroyed, you could publicly access what ships it has killed, who owned it etc. Think of the histories you could generate for a given ship. It would add content to the game!

By telling everyone who looks at my killboard exactly who my industry alts are!

By revealing the identity of every super/cap builder to anyone who cared to click on zkill!

By exposing every neutral production corp, every jita alt, every importer, hauler and market guy...

Basically, by handing an enormous pile of completely free intel to everyone who looked at a killboard.

Exactly WHY would anyone want to do that?
Varus Vindicti
Deadly Execution
#25 - 2015-05-28 01:44:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Varus Vindicti
I think I indicated we could leave the builder information off except for the owner of the ship.

It would not appear on the KB when the ship was destroyed.

In real life, we have traceability, why should EVE have none?

Possibly there could be differences depending on if you built it in Null Sec/W-Space/Empire Space on what your ship has to show publicly?
MechaJeb Kerman
MechaJeb Kerman's Thrasher Fund
Novus Ordo.
#26 - 2015-05-28 01:46:22 UTC  |  Edited by: MechaJeb Kerman
Danika Princip wrote:
Varus Vindicti wrote:

By telling everyone who looks at my killboard exactly who my industry alts are!

By revealing the identity of every super/cap builder to anyone who cared to click on zkill!

By exposing every neutral production corp, every jita alt, every importer, hauler and market guy...

Basically, by handing an enormous pile of completely free intel to everyone who looked at a killboard.

Exactly WHY would anyone want to do that?

Because it would generate a lot of content?

I'll crudely Photoshop an image of Helen Thomas onto a picture of your choosing for 30m. PM me.

Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#27 - 2015-05-28 01:47:46 UTC
Varus Vindicti wrote:
I think I indicated we could leave the builder information off except for the owner of the ship.

It would not appear on the KB when the ship was destroyed.

In real life, we have traceability, why should EVE have none?

Possibly there could be differences depending on if you were in Null Sec/W-Space/Empire Space on what your ship has to show publicly?

But the builder also owned it?

So did everyone else on that list, why reveal them too?

Why should intel like this be obtainable with no effort whatsoever?
Varus Vindicti
Deadly Execution
#28 - 2015-05-28 01:53:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Varus Vindicti
Danika Princip wrote:

Regardless of who built the ship, the owner would see that data - this way you could possibly uncover intel about who was building ships if you could access one that wasn't yours. It would give people the ability to conduct REAL espionage about production chains.

What you would see on the ship's destruction would be its ID and ships it has killed and who piloted it. Like a download of the ship's log after destruction (like a black box). Maybe you could capture the destroyed ship's black box in space after destruction and gain further levels of information. Possibly it would be valuable to someone? Maybe you'd want to kill the ship that picked it up to prevent that information from falling into someone else's hands?

Possibly there could be skills to train to access more information about a ship so people could specialize in espionage about production logistics, which could benefit whoever chose to use it? Maybe you could have specialized scanners to get the information if you got close enough to an enemy ship to use it (Covert Ops possibilities!??!?!)
Zan Shiro
Doomheim
#29 - 2015-05-28 05:32:33 UTC
Varus Vindicti wrote:

pssst...its a game.

In rl I don't own 5 cars. In eve I have I think 8 ships on hand. When in pvp mode 10+ real easy.

In rl not every 500K cars made by someone for one year is in one state. So 10K are in cali, another 10k are in NY.....long story short cali does not have a db storing all 500K for car x from maker in that car registry database. the DB load spread out put another way.

Vendor does record this but...they have legal and business obligations. Lets have car model x made in 2014 with an engineering defect. Vendor knows for recalls to only contact those vin owners. And when when a 2012 or 2015 owner is trying to get some free service...tell them no sir/maam, your car is okay and not on the list. legal obligations cover local governments liking the tracking it gives.

Now lets get back to eve. When was the last time you registered your ship at an office. States it be DMV, me I do a mix of Japanese things and on base facilitles overseas.

When was the last time in eve your ship had a defect to be recalled. I recall no vapor lock on my rokhs.

And well maybe its me but details like this mean crap really. I recall with great fondness many of my street racers. Hours of shade tree mechanic to tell stories about. Upgrades, repairs, ghetto body work when drifting went awry. But I can't tell you their vin or when they were made beyond a year. Latter about useless as well...by time they are done being worked on they were more aftermarket then stock. Insert motor and tranny swaps when blown too. So I had another years parts in my car for that one as well.

TL;DR....drive it like you stole it, damn the rest really .
Iroquoiss Pliskin
9B30FF Labs
#30 - 2015-05-28 06:33:02 UTC
"Made by" would also be cool. SWG had it. Smile

Dear SWG. Cry
Leto Aramaus
Frog Team Four
Of Essence
#31 - 2015-05-28 11:49:45 UTC
Danika Princip wrote:
Only if I can disable this on every single ship I ever build, buy or fly. I do not want to give free intel out to people.

Then you should be calling for the removal of Local and the non-consensual watchlist.
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#32 - 2015-05-28 22:20:01 UTC
Varus Vindicti wrote:
Danika Princip wrote:

Regardless of who built the ship, the owner would see that data - this way you could possibly uncover intel about who was building ships if you could access one that wasn't yours. It would give people the ability to conduct REAL espionage about production chains.

What you would see on the ship's destruction would be its ID and ships it has killed and who piloted it. Like a download of the ship's log after destruction (like a black box). Maybe you could capture the destroyed ship's black box in space after destruction and gain further levels of information. Possibly it would be valuable to someone? Maybe you'd want to kill the ship that picked it up to prevent that information from falling into someone else's hands?

Possibly there could be skills to train to access more information about a ship so people could specialize in espionage about production logistics, which could benefit whoever chose to use it? Maybe you could have specialized scanners to get the information if you got close enough to an enemy ship to use it (Covert Ops possibilities!??!?!)

Why. Should. This. Information. Be. Freely. Available. With. Zero. Effort.

Why would I want to hand out this information, how would I stop this information from being handed out, and why do you need to know who my alts are?

Leto Aramaus wrote:
Danika Princip wrote:
Only if I can disable this on every single ship I ever build, buy or fly. I do not want to give free intel out to people.

Then you should be calling for the removal of Local and the non-consensual watchlist.

Neither of which tell you exactly who all of my production, trade and hauling alts are simply by looking at zkill, which this guy wants.
Jeven HouseBenyo
Vanity Thy Name Is
#33 - 2015-05-28 23:04:45 UTC
Instead of a VIN (SIN? since it is a ship, not a wheeled vehicle) number, I'd rather get 'vanity license plate frames' to stick on ships I've either put up for sale or for personal ship use. Since the details on ships are going up with the possibility of more appearance customization in the near and further out future, why not this left turn?

The supply setup to stamp those 'plate frames' or 'used ship store Corp #xxx bumper sticker' boggles my mind (perhaps only so many 'licenses' can be active at a time, let the throat cutting in Market or Awoxing begin for a mostly useless item!), and would be something I'd giggle over while picking it apart. On the upside, less number crunching for Devs and less for the hamsters to go on strike over.

Other than the text, a generic setup similar to designing a Corporation Logo would keep the frazzle low on the poor Devf that gets to crunch this into being.

And yes, these being removable by the owner (destroyed like removing rigs) to keep on the down low your alt suppliers.

Two wisdom pennies, user mileage will vary.

>Jeven

Minny boat flyer, unofficial squeaky wheel.

'Game Ethics and Morality Monitor' I remember promises.

Snark at 11-24/7/365.25. Overshare? Yup.

Yes it's my fault. And if you don't staap it I'll do it again. ;-P

No you can't has my stuffs OR my SPs.

Varus Vindicti
Deadly Execution
#34 - 2015-05-29 21:25:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Varus Vindicti
Danika Princip wrote:
[quote=Varus Vindicti][quote=Danika Princip]

Why. Should. This. Information. Be. Freely. Available. With. Zero. Effort.

Why would I want to hand out this information, how would I stop this information from being handed out, and why do you need to know who my alts are?

Neither of which tell you exactly who all of my production, trade and hauling alts are simply by looking at zkill, which this guy wants.

I could care less about your production, trade and hauling alts.

I build capital/T2 ships also. I think it would be neat to see where they end up. How they are used. It would add content. It would give you market intelligence if you built for random people. Might be easier to target your sales.

And who said this information would be freely available with zero effort? I advocated that certain information would be accessible after a KM.

I indicated other information would be available to the owner.

Local, fits on KMs, there are plenty of examples of information available with "zero effort".

I am not even advocating it be "freely available" I am looking to add some depth to some of the gameplay that could utilize intelligence that players have to work to get in some fashion.

Things that do not involve social engineering, but utilize ships, modules, etc. to gain intelligence.

Maybe this could be through ELINT or SIGNIT, but we currently have under-utilized ships like covert ops that should be able to do more than PVE and bombing. Things that would involve flying into harm's way.

You know, adding content.

I understand that your average Goon hates the thought of anything to upset their apple cart, but it isn't realistic that certain information cannot be obtained in some fashion other than social engineering.
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#35 - 2015-05-29 21:32:43 UTC
Varus Vindicti wrote:

I understand that you average Goon hates the thought of anything to upset their apple cart, but it isn't realistic that certain information cannot be obtained in some fashion other than social engineering.

Explain this statement please.

Why should it be possible to find out someone's alts simply by looking at zkill?

How do you feel this intel, which would be freely available if all you need is a killmail or if you happen to buy a ship, adds content to the game? What kind of content? How is getting one KM or buying one ship considered work?

Do you not feel the metagame, which you dismiss as social engineering, is a part of the game?
Panty Stocking
Doomheim
#36 - 2015-05-30 00:34:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Panty Stocking
you can see where your ships go when you make a sale. afterwards there is right of first sale, that is, you have no "rights" to find out what is done afterwards.

sure, irl i can check my former car's vin to find who owns it now and if they have gotten into accidents etc. but to have everyone be able to see my car's entire history merely because someone hit my car, or even if i just hit a telephone pole is kind of nonsensical.

that would be the equivalent of posting a public descriptiion with vin numbers of every accident that happens in every and all newspaper and social media outlet.

im sure someone could get the info free, but not without a fair bit of legwork if my car has never been sold.
i don't support this idea and still wouldn't if it were opt in/out.
Derath Ellecon
ATRAX.
Shadow Cartel
#37 - 2015-05-30 02:11:41 UTC
None of it matters this will never be implemented.
Varus Vindicti
Deadly Execution
#38 - 2015-05-30 13:19:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Varus Vindicti
I am glad to see the vocal minority is represented so well here!

CCP - you should definitely listen to these two guys since they post more than everyone else!
Derath Ellecon
ATRAX.
Shadow Cartel
#39 - 2015-05-30 15:13:35 UTC
Varus Vindicti wrote:

CCP - you should definitely listen to these two guys since they post more than everyone else!

I'm not saying that because I don't think it is a cool idea. But if you at all understand how the database is setup currently it is pretty easy to understand why it is highly unlikely we would ever see this idea implemented.
Iain Cariaba
#40 - 2015-05-30 15:52:33 UTC
Varus Vindicti wrote:

And CCP should listen to the guy that ignores all the reasons why this is a bad idea, simply because he thinks it would be cool to have?

I don't think so.
Previous page123Next page