These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

Ships need "Born On" dating!!!

Author
Varus Vindicti
Deadly Execution
#1 - 2015-05-27 22:01:35 UTC
Ships should have manufacturing data attached to them!

Which corporation manufactured them, date of manufacture, system where manufactured, and a unique serial number that is sequential for the class in question.

This would be a great way to individualize ships and maybe even trigger the new "dirt" that would build up on the ship over its lifetime.

Possibly one could even tag kill mails with the unique ship ID when a ship is destroyed.

FireFrenzy
Cynosural Samurai
#2 - 2015-05-27 22:06:19 UTC
the database would explode with all the extra data it would need to contain...

I wish it was practicable but unfortunately it isn't... Not even on titans or other supers...
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#3 - 2015-05-27 22:20:42 UTC
Frequently proposed, frequently shot down.

Reasons:
Database size increases
Attribute scrubbing on repackaging
Sheer size of the number of IDs needed for ship IDs

On the other hand, go for it on AT ships and Plex for good or similar very short run, special edition ships.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Making battleships worth the warp

Iain Cariaba
#4 - 2015-05-27 22:24:20 UTC
Varus Vindicti wrote:
Ships should have manufacturing data attached to them!

Which corporation manufactured them, date of manufacture, system where manufactured, and a unique serial number that is sequential for the class in question.

This would be a great way to individualize ships and maybe even trigger the new "dirt" that would build up on the ship over its lifetime.

Possibly one could even tag kill mails with the unique ship ID when a ship is destroyed.

No.

This is an oft recurring idea that gets shot down every single time.

Reported for redundancy.
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#5 - 2015-05-27 22:25:18 UTC
Only if I can disable this on every single ship I ever build, buy or fly. I do not want to give free intel out to people.
Christopher Mabata
Northern Accounts and Systems
#6 - 2015-05-27 22:53:34 UTC
The server hamsters would go on strike
Then the cats there to contain them would strike
then CCP Servers themselves would strike
Then we would all stroke and die from withdrawls from EVE

No

♣ Small Gang PVP, Large Fleet PVP, Black Ops, Incursions, Trade, and Industry ♣ 70% Lethal / 30% Super-Snuggly / 110% No idea what im doing ♣

This Message Brought to you by a sweet and sour bittervet

Samillian
Angry Mustellid
#7 - 2015-05-27 22:58:47 UTC
Apart from the obvious issues involving cruelty to hamsters why would this be of any real use?

Its not like for instance a Vexor I build is going to be different in any way, shape or form to a Vexor built by anybody else.

NBSI shall be the whole of the Law

Varus Vindicti
Deadly Execution
#8 - 2015-05-27 23:20:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Varus Vindicti
I would think no more than a 10 digit alphanumeric (A-Z 0-9) system would tell you everything you need to about a ship.

1-3 - race/type/class code
4-6 - date code
7-10 - unique ID.

Just forget where and who manufactured it.

As far as usefulness, I imagine it would be nice to reference how many ships you killed in your Vexor.

Just more ways to slice data to make the game interesting.

Precedent - military aircraft are manufactured with unique serial numbers while naval vessel have unique hull numbers.

These codes could probably exist as a layer on the hull that higher end graphics cards might be able to turn on/off to add more realism.
MechaJeb Kerman
MechaJeb Kerman's Thrasher Fund
Novus Ordo.
#9 - 2015-05-27 23:21:42 UTC
Samillian wrote:

Its not like for instance a Vexor I build is going to be different in any way, shape or form to a Vexor built by anybody else.

Well mine would be at least 10% better, because I build everything with love, using only freshest, hand picked minerals.

I'll crudely Photoshop an image of Helen Thomas onto a picture of your choosing for 30m. PM me.

Phoenix Jones
Small-Arms Fire
#10 - 2015-05-27 23:23:19 UTC
Closest thing you can probably get is a "assembled on" date.

Yaay!!!!

James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#11 - 2015-05-27 23:32:49 UTC
Varus Vindicti wrote:
I would think no more than a 10 digit alphanumeric (A-Z 0-9) system would tell you everything you need to about a ship.

1-3 race/type/class code
4-6 - date code
7-10 - unique ID.

so 10 digit alphanumeric system.

hmmm. 1 byte per character, 10 characters, minimum of 40k ships.....

so minimum of 400Mb of unique data added, if everyone has a single ship code, and there really are only about 40k characters that need such codes.

But..... a 3 digit unique ID has a max of 62^3 ships, so is obviously insufficient as this gives us only 238328 total ship codes. Even a 10 digit unique ID code might not suffice, though it does offer quite a few more. 62 to the 10th (10 digit code) gives us 839,299,365,868,340,224, which should keep eve going for awhile, but considering that eve is a great game for breaking systems just because we can, and that potentially some dude has 100 million shuttles in every station in a nullsec region, this gets stupidly large.

Now, the date code might fit into 3 digits, but this only gives us day information. Not precisely good intel, but intel enough to make many angry.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Making battleships worth the warp

Varus Vindicti
Deadly Execution
#12 - 2015-05-27 23:41:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Varus Vindicti
This would be a base 36 system to avoid lowercase.

I indicated a 4 digit unique ID code = 36^4 = 1,679,616 ships of any given class per day. If someone wants to build that many shuttles of a certain class in one day, go for it. Think it might hit practical limits on what can be produced in a day amongst a group.

How a 3 digit date code would work...

1st digit = day of month
2nd digit = 3 years worth of months (May 2015, June 2015, July 2015.... May 2018)
3rd digit = increments the first digit to the next 3 years of months so EVE could code 3x36 = 108 years, just for ***** & giggles so our grandkids can play with our ships.
Phoenix Jones
Small-Arms Fire
#13 - 2015-05-28 00:16:45 UTC
(Shrugs). Would be cool... Bout it.

Yaay!!!!

Tiddle Jr
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2015-05-28 00:26:18 UTC
Varus Vindicti wrote:
This would be a base 36 system to avoid lowercase.

I indicated a 4 digit unique ID code = 36^4 = 1,679,616 ships of any given class per day. If someone wants to build that many shuttles of a certain class in one day, go for it. Think it might hit practical limits on what can be produced in a day amongst a group.

How a 3 digit date code would work...

1st digit = day of month
2nd digit = 3 years worth of months (May 2015, June 2015, July 2015.... May 2018)
3rd digit = increments the first digit to the next 3 years of months so EVE could code 3x36 = 108 years, just for ***** & giggles so our grandkids can play with our ships.

Please provide an example i'd like to see how does it look like.

"The message is that there are known knowns. There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know" - CCP

Varus Vindicti
Deadly Execution
#15 - 2015-05-28 01:18:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Varus Vindicti
Lets say we have a Caldari Dreadnought Phoenix built today and is the 10th completed that day

By base 36 digit (A-Z then 0-9)

1st digit - Race/Faction (12 current choices) - C (Caldari).... could be A (Amarr) B (Blood Raider), etc. based on how we assign them.
2nd digit - Ship Type (31 current major ship types) - D (Dreadnought)
3rd digit - Ship Class (1 Caldari Dreadnought class) - P (Pheonix)
4th digit - Day of Month (27 May would be 0) - 0 (27th)
5th digit - Month of 3 year cycle (lets say this begins with the original release date of EVE May 6, 2003 we are 12 years to the month as of today so this would be the 1st month of 4th 3 year cycle so letter A - A
6th digit - Cycle 4 of 3 year cycle would be D - D
7th digit - Unique ID - J for the 10th ship
8th - 10th - Unique ID - all A

So the unique number is CDP0ADJAAA
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#16 - 2015-05-28 01:21:38 UTC
How would that work when you have volumes of ships being built that simply do not fit into your ID numbers? If thre 10th dread is J, what's the 27th?

What about the 1000th slasher?

And why would I want to give out intel about how old my ships are?
Varus Vindicti
Deadly Execution
#17 - 2015-05-28 01:25:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Varus Vindicti
Its a base 36 numbering system:

The 27th ship of the day would be CDP0AD0AAA

The 37th ship of the day would be CDP0ADABAA

The 1,679,616th ship of the day (if it were indeed possible to build this many Phoenix in a day, let alone shuttles) would be CDP0AD9999 (or thereabouts)\
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#18 - 2015-05-28 01:31:12 UTC
And why would I want one of these bizarre codes associated with anything I own?

Frankly, they're gibberish to anyone who doesn't know, specifically, how to read them, and why bother adding in a feature as inaccessible as that?
Varus Vindicti
Deadly Execution
#19 - 2015-05-28 01:32:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Varus Vindicti
The code would be translated into when produced in the fitting window.

All of this is intended to generate a unique ID for each ship so it could be tracked until destroyed. It would be interesting to see how old some ships are, what they've killed, who they've passed from/to on the market, who stole them, etc.

All vehicles IRL aircraft, cars, boats, ship have unique identifiers. EVE should be no different.
Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#20 - 2015-05-28 01:34:06 UTC
Varus Vindicti wrote:
The code would be translated into when produced in the fitting window.

And why would I want one associated with anything I own?

Would this be visible only to me, or would this be publicly viewable?

What's the POINT?
123Next page