These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Make battleships and battlecruisers worth the warp! 2.0

First post
Author
Eli Stan
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#541 - 2015-05-15 16:06:25 UTC
I saw the following suggestion posted on reddit a while back, and have not seen it mentioned on these forums. Has it been discussed before?

This suggestion is for MJDs to provide, during spool-up time, effects like an unscripted T2 sensor booster. Offensive MJDing can be extremely effective, but it's difficult to pull off because with limited lock ranges battlecruisers have a bit of a delay after jumping before they can get to shooting. By temporarily extending lock range past 100km and shortening lock time, using an MJD for offensive purposes, not just running away, becomes more viable.
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#542 - 2015-05-15 16:09:38 UTC
Eli Stan wrote:
I saw the following suggestion posted on reddit a while back, and have not seen it mentioned on these forums. Has it been discussed before?

This suggestion is for MJDs to provide, during spool-up time, effects like an unscripted T2 sensor booster. Offensive MJDing can be extremely effective, but it's difficult to pull off because with limited lock ranges battlecruisers have a bit of a delay after jumping before they can get to shooting. By temporarily extending lock range past 100km and shortening lock time, using an MJD for offensive purposes, not just running away, becomes more viable.

As far as I know, it has not shown up here. One of the things I was aiming the stat buffs at was pushing all lock ranges to 95km+ with max skills, so fleet bonuses, one module or rig got it over the critical 100km threshold, and increasing the scan res on every battleship somewhat.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Making battleships worth the warp

James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#543 - 2015-05-15 16:15:55 UTC
elitatwo wrote:

Movement is the single most important aspect of pvp and I think we should start there and give battleships some resiliance to propulsion systems like all battleships mjds and mwds can no longer be turned of by any scram and a 50% less effectiveness of stasis webbifiers on battleships.
And an overall gun signature reduction to 275mm instead of 400mm should help with tracking. (Then put it on SiSi and let us take an extended look)

Resilience is already a factor in inertia, and I am seriously against removing the ability to lock down an MWD with a scram as anything but maybe a bonus for a T3 subsystem or pirate faction role bonus, as the inconsistency of such a mechanic is gamechanging and extremely powerful.

The reason I noodled out larger buffer modules is because I got into an ANI, and fit a 1600 plate to an otherwise clean hull, and low and behold, I had more raw armor than most battleships, with a single mod fitted. This got me thinking about the relatively very high power of the oversized tank modules and how this contributed to the ability of cruisers to shrug off most frigates long enough to either out fly them, as the frigate needs to not make any major mistakes while the cruiser has more ability to recover, or outlast the frigates because of how low frigate endurance can be.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#544 - 2015-05-15 16:35:44 UTC
James Baboli wrote:
elitatwo wrote:

Movement is the single most important aspect of pvp and I think we should start there and give battleships some resiliance to propulsion systems like all battleships mjds and mwds can no longer be turned of by any scram and a 50% less effectiveness of stasis webbifiers on battleships.
And an overall gun signature reduction to 275mm instead of 400mm should help with tracking. (Then put it on SiSi and let us take an extended look)

Resilience is already a factor in inertia, and I am seriously against removing the ability to lock down an MWD with a scram as anything but maybe a bonus for a T3 subsystem or pirate faction role bonus, as the inconsistency of such a mechanic is gamechanging and extremely powerful...

Yes it can be but look what we have right now, take a Megathron into lowsec and only very few seconds later you will have 23 sleipnirs and 3837274 rapiers or huggins on the field until 23736718389757281 ishtars arrive to 'get on zee mail'..

If you fraps that 10 second fight you will see that one regular web slows down a battleship that moves very slow by natur already that by definition it is pinned down, scrams or not.

Leaving the mwd on increases the already large signature by a ton and let's the battleship take even more damage - even heavy missile damage.
So even if you had a mjd on that Megathron to jump 100km of and start shooting with long range guns or not a dual-prob fit with something that can be called an active tank, your options on your weaponary is very limited on this fit already.

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

SFM Hobb3s
Perkone
Caldari State
#545 - 2015-05-15 17:23:22 UTC
I still think that the best change they could make to all battleships would be to remove the weapon bonus that are based on class, allow that bonus to apply to all weapon sizes.

This would give battleships the choice to fit some large weapons but keep some smaller ones for point-defense, or even have some battleships in a fleet solely set for point defense work.

and if CCP thinks that having a BS with a full rack of bonused small guns is just a little too OP, they could lock the bonus to a specific number of hislots or whatever.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#546 - 2015-05-15 17:31:18 UTC
SFM Hobb3s wrote:
I still think that the best change they could make to all battleships would be to remove the weapon bonus that are based on class, allow that bonus to apply to all weapon sizes.

This would give battleships the choice to fit some large weapons but keep some smaller ones for point-defense, or even have some battleships in a fleet solely set for point defense work.

and if CCP thinks that having a BS with a full rack of bonused small guns is just a little too OP, they could lock the bonus to a specific number of hislots or whatever.

Make the BS class the jack of all trades, makes sense to me.

It won't outshine the original ships in their own class, it's lack of speed and other size related details prevents that.

This ship SHOULD be the king of sub-caps, IMHO.
elitatwo
Zansha Expansion
Brave Collective
#547 - 2015-05-15 18:01:22 UTC
SFM Hobb3s wrote:

...Big smile which reminds me of the small beam laser Rokh...

Eve Minions is recruiting.

This is the law of ship progression!

Aura sound-clips: Aura forever

Bo Bojangles
Interstellar Renegades
#548 - 2015-05-18 03:42:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Bo Bojangles
Great to see such a thread! Love my BS's and would like to be able to use them more.

You guys are putting a lot of brainjuice into re inventing the wheel though.

I think it should all start off with undoing that warp speed nerf. We've all seemed to just accept it now but c'mon, there was absolutely no one complaining about battleship warp speed mobility before they nerfed it (which makes it really strange that there are some now that defend it). They just grabbed onto a warp progression idea that looked good on paper and did it, severely nerfing the battleship. Reverse that error, and much of the battleships woes are undone as well. Yes there's power creep from it's 'under' classes but T3 et al needs to be addressed with it's own balance.

Take away the shackles of the warp nerf that never needed be instituted and everything comes back into a better balance, with the lesser field mobility, scan res etc offset by large weapons better damage projection, but right now, battleships arrive on field with the speed of a kneeling bus stooping for the elderly. It's simply too slow.
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#549 - 2015-05-18 04:05:38 UTC
Bo Bojangles wrote:
Great to see such a thread! Love my BS's and would like to be able to use them more.

I think it should all start off with undoing that warp speed nerf. We've all seemed to just accept it now but c'mon, there was absolutely no one complaining about battleship warp speed mobility before they nerfed it (which makes it really strange that there are some now that defend it). They just grabbed onto a warp progression idea that looked good on paper and did it, severely nerfing the battleship. Reverse that error, and much of the battleships woes are undone as well. Yes there's power creep from it's 'under' classes but T3 et al needs to be addressed with it's own balance.

Take away the shackles of the warp nerf that never needed be instituted and everything comes back into a better balance, with the lesser field mobility, scan res etc offset by large weapons better damage projection, but right now, battleships arrive on field with the speed of a kneeling bus stooping for the elderly. It's simply too slow.

See the OP. CCP has said they ain't gonna do it, so this is about making them worth the warp. You want to run another warp speed thread, go run that thread. I only saw 20 or 30 crash and burn so far.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

Bo Bojangles
Interstellar Renegades
#550 - 2015-05-18 04:23:41 UTC
it's a strange thing indeed, since I've never seen anything written on what it accomplished.
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#551 - 2015-05-18 04:30:49 UTC
Bo Bojangles wrote:
it's a strange thing indeed, since I've never seen anything written on what it accomplished.

It was part of the same initiative as jump fatigue, to make eve "larger" by making it harder to project power. Now to find a fight, you either hit targets people must defend, and either make the effort to deploy to a relatively close staging system or use fast ships to travel, or you go and find space where people farm and kick over ratters, or you go to one of the regions which are starting to actively patrol their space like fozzie sov encourages.

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

FireFrenzy
Cynosural Samurai
#552 - 2015-05-23 08:27:22 UTC
Baboli you're better at theory crafting then me have you looked into the plate tiericide? Because unless i am reading that wrong plates are going to give less ehp and be easier to fit on armor t3s...

Now i love my legion dont get me wrong but that feels a bit odd from a "we just nerfed the plus HP subsystem" standpoint...
Iroquoiss Pliskin
9B30FF Labs
#553 - 2015-05-23 12:57:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Iroquoiss Pliskin
Unless a revision to T3 resist profiles is coming, and they are right now exactly as the T2, along with percentage reduction in the hp bonus sub-systems, this is looking a bit of a joke:

Quote:

1600mm --------------Meta Group --Meta Level ---- Powergrid (MW) -- CPU (tf) -- HP Bonus (HP) ----- Mass Addition (kg)

1600mm Steel Plates II -----Tech II -----5 ---------------- 550 (-25) ----- 35 (+3) ------- 4,800 -------------- 3,750,000
1600mm Rolled Tungsten --Tech I -----1 (-3) ------------ 480 (-20) ----- 27 (-1) --------4,000 (-200) ------ 3,500,000 (+750,000)

Federation Navy 1600mm ---- Faction -- 8 ---------------- 550 (-25) ------30 (-3)--------5,000 (+800) ------ 2,250,000 (+187,500)
Imperial Navy 1600mm ------Faction ----- 8 ----------------- 575 ------------ 27 (-3) ----- 5,250 (+1050) ------ 3,000,000 (+662,500)

Federation Navy is totally for T3Cs & T2 logi, even the IN which seemingly has been designed for Battleships can also be employed, because the PG requirements have not changed and remain at old T2 levels - something beyond 600 MW would have been reasonable, but then you'd have BCs not able to fit them, and then finally admit that it is the T3s that are the broken ones in the first place.

Fix Tech 3 resist profiles and Augmented Plating subs. What?

Faction LSEs are also getting a HP increase over the old T2, with CPU fitting lessened = RF LSE 110k EHP Gilas and 90k Ishtars linked.

Gooby pls
Hakaari Inkuran
State War Academy
Caldari State
#554 - 2015-05-23 13:09:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Hakaari Inkuran
Bo Bojangles wrote:

Im all for undoing the warp speed nerf to bcs and bs but if you look at the original thread announcing that change, its pretty much all praise. So lets be honest here, plenty of people agreed with the nerf back then.
unidenify
Deaf Armada
#555 - 2015-05-24 21:22:25 UTC
SFM Hobb3s wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, is barghest having this bonus?

Beside cost, what stop player to fit rlml on barghest?
James Baboli
Warp to Pharmacy
#556 - 2015-05-24 22:12:15 UTC
unidenify wrote:
SFM Hobb3s wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, is barghest having this bonus?

Beside cost, what stop player to fit rlml on barghest?

RLML would be bonused if I read the bonuses correctly. However, why bring a barghest when an orthrus will do similar tricks, be much faster, pump similar DPS, lock faster, be more agile and mitigate damage better?

Talking more,

Flying crazier,

And drinking more

FireFrenzy
Cynosural Samurai
#557 - 2015-05-27 11:58:28 UTC
Only bhargest i have ever seen in PVP (like docterine level) was in charge of firewalling with its bigass hitbox... full rack of smarties...

The number of bonusses it used? 0
FT Diomedes
The Graduates
#558 - 2015-05-27 12:12:23 UTC
FireFrenzy wrote:
Only bhargest i have ever seen in PVP (like docterine level) was in charge of firewalling with its bigass hitbox... full rack of smarties...

I know a few guys who use the Barghest for PVP. Good people to fight.

CCP should add more NPC 0.0 space to open it up and liven things up: the Stepping Stones project.

Iyacia Cyric'ai
Lai Dai Counterintelligence
#559 - 2015-05-29 03:26:08 UTC
FireFrenzy wrote:

Bharghests are more commonly used in small-gang with RHML and because it's a battleship that can heavy neut things that HML's can't apply damage to very well, it actually is a fairly good ship.
Iyacia Cyric'ai
Lai Dai Counterintelligence
#560 - 2015-05-29 03:34:22 UTC
This is probably going to be an unpopular opinion, but speaking from the perspective of small gang pvp, Battleships don't require a MASSIVE overhaul. In fact several battleship hulls are quite strong, namely: Machariel, Armageddon, Dominix, Bhargest and Typhoon. The battleships that suffer the most are the ones that were previously kings of large null doctrines: i.e. Maelstrom and Abaddon (i.e. the slowest ships with no application bonus and no utility high slot). I'm not an expert at large fleet PvP but I would imagine the issue there is bombers and sentry cruisers.